HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A guess at the "other" forward the Kings were interested in...

Old
06-23-2007, 05:38 PM
tomd

vCash: 500
A guess at the "other" forward the Kings were interested in...

Brandon Sutter

has the character, bloodlines, some offensive upside, and there was word earlier in the year that the Kings were scouting him. and, of course, he is in the DL "off the chart" mold.

Tough call as to which pick would have been more outrageous - Sutter or Hickey

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Hickey has the higher ceiling compared to Sutter. Sutter is going to top out as an above average checker on the third line. Hickey can top out as a #2-3 defenseman.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Osprey

You know... when I was thinking about that quote earlier today, Sutter is the player that immediately jumped to my mind, as well. I kind of have a hard time believing that it could've been Hickey vs. one of the "consensus" top-10 prospects. If Lombardi was willing to reach for Hickey, he was probably debating reaching for a forward, as well. Sutter's final rankings were all over the map (from #9 to the end of the round), similar to Hickey's (#13 to the end of the round). He's, also, as you said, the kind of player that Lombardi would probably take to liking. In the end, I think that Dean did what he said that he would when two players are close and went by positional need.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 06:38 PM
IlyaAlexanderMalkin

The player that came to mind with me was Sam Gagner.

IlyaAlexanderMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Brandon Sutter

has the character, bloodlines, some offensive upside, and there was word earlier in the year that the Kings were scouting him. and, of course, he is in the DL "off the chart" mold.

Tough call as to which pick would have been more outrageous - Sutter or Hickey

Only that could have been worse then the Hickey pick. At least Hickey has a chance of being a top-pairing d-man or a PP QB. Sutter is just a good character guy.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaAlexanderMalkin View Post
The player that came to mind with me was Sam Gagner.
Same here.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Goallum

Based on Wild GM's post in the "let's all freak out over the selection of Hickey" thread (the one in which he mentioned Lombardi and Crow arguing over taking a risk over playing it safe), I'm guessing it was Voracek. A safe forward, to me, implies Voracek.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
Based on Wild GM's post in the "let's all freak out over the selection of Hickey" thread (the one in which he mentioned Lombardi and Crow arguing over taking a risk over playing it safe), I'm guessing it was Voracek. A safe forward, to me, implies Voracek.
You have a point there.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post

I agree. He would have been the best and most likely to make the NHL at that point...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 01:57 AM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
I was thinking Logan Couture. DL commented once that he valued hockey sense very highly, and that he did not necessarily value raw physical skill (ie skating) as much. Couture isn't much of a skater but has fantastic hockey sense, enough that he's probably as much a lock to make the NHL in some capacity as anyone in the draft. It's also worth noting that it was San Jose traded up to get the guy, likely on the advice of their head scout who Lombardi has expressed great admiration for.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
I was thinking Logan Couture. DL commented once that he valued hockey sense very highly, and that he did not necessarily value raw physical skill (ie skating) as much. Couture isn't much of a skater but has fantastic hockey sense, enough that he's probably as much a lock to make the NHL in some capacity as anyone in the draft. It's also worth noting that it was San Jose traded up to get the guy, likely on the advice of their head scout who Lombardi has expressed great admiration for.
I thought so too originally, but after watching the Crow interview where he mentioned skating as the #1 physical skill they were valuing, I don't think so anymore.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote