HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Top 20 Kings Prospects

Old
06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Peter James Bond

vCash: 500
No love for TJ Fast.

He could be a wild card. The fact that he was named WHL defensemen of the month bodes well for his recent move from college to the WHL. There may yet be hope for him.

Shouldn't Brady Murray be on the list? He has been mentioned by DL as a candidate to make the Kings this year.

Peter James Bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

1. D Jack Johnson
2. G Jonathan Bernier
3. C/LW Patrick O'Sullivan
4. D Thomas Hickey
5. C Trevor Lewis
6. C/D Brian Boyle
7. RW Lauri Tukonen
8. C/LW Oscar Mollar
9. D Peter Harrold
10. G Jeff Zatkoff
11. RW Scott Parse
12. D Joe Ryan
13. D Joe Piskula
14. C/LW Ted Purcell
15. RW Marc-Andre Cliche
16. C David Meckler
17. LW Matt Moulson
18. D T.J. Fast
19. C/LW Bud Holloway
20. D Patrik Hersley
HM. D Niclas Andersen, C Brady Murray, C Gabe Gauthier, RW John Zeiler, C Bryan Cameron

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 06-24-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
*cough* Cammallari *cough*
Granted I only saw Chilliwack twice this year, but thats exactly who he reminded me of. Small, quick (and I differentiate quick from straight ahead speed), strong on the puck, wicked wrist shot.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp View Post
Granted I only saw Chilliwack twice this year, but thats exactly who he reminded me of. Small, quick (and I differentiate quick from straight ahead speed), strong on the puck, wicked wrist shot.
That is a good point. Too many people take quick to mean fast. I have not seen Mollar much, but I would describe Cammy as quick. He is very shifty, eludes checks, and is very good the first few steps out of the corner. He is not fast though, fast is Gaborik flying down the ice at full speed.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 03:27 PM
dabeechman

I'm surprised to see that Zeiler isn't on some of the top 20 lists. I loved the way that kid played, and he always had his legs moving.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Fat Elvis

I'm surprised to see so much love for Joe Ryan. Top 15? Has to be based solely on his draft position and not how he's played his position. IMO, management was/is expecting more from this kid.

2 Dmen who'll go up the ranking this next season are TJ Fast and Josh Meyers. Look out for them.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
I'm surprised to see so much love for Joe Ryan. Top 15? Has to be based solely on his draft position and not how he's played his position. IMO, management was/is expecting more from this kid.

2 Dmen who'll go up the ranking this next season are TJ Fast and Josh Meyers. Look out for them.
100% agree. I have seen Joey Ryan at devel camp and wasn't impressed at all. His shot from the point couldn't have topped 80 mph. He didn't seem to excell at anything. He may be tough, but with mediocre skating and hockey sense, he won't go far.

Josh Meyers - while I have never seen him play, his stats have looked good and he was among the top 2 or 3 defensemen in the NCAA in PP goals this past off-season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=81036

He he had a great season in the USHL and was named the most valuable player and the defensive player of the year on that club:

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/mens/hock...rs.php?id=1078

TJ Fast seemed to excell in his transition to the WHL. He was highly regarded coming out of the AJHL, when he went to Denver U.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=87892

Peter James Bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 06:25 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Are you guys listing based on chance to make the big club or amount of upside?
My listing (below) is a combination of upside and chance of reaching that upside. Basically, how much of an impact I think they'll make in the NHL. Of course, this is tentative since I haven't seen much of the new prospects; the prospects I saw at last year's camp are going strictly from memory (which might not be a good exercise at 4 AM):

1. Jack Johnson - Not much more to say on him.

2. Jonathan Bernier - He's really proven me wrong after I bemoaned the pick last year. His rebound control has improved a lot. Add that to an extremely athletic form and you have a #1 in the making.

3. Thomas Hickey - Everything I've read is positive (minus size), and what little videos I've seen on him shows he's a tremendously smart player with very good hand-eye coordination with his stick work, and timing to drop down to block shots/passes.

4. Patrick O'Sullivan - I still think he'll be a good 1st/2nd line winger. He needs to win more battles with the puck, but overall has very good skills.

5. Brian Boyle - He has the highest upside of all the players simply because of his size, but I don't think he'll reach it. His versatility is a huge plus.

6. Trevor Lewis - My biggest knock on him is that I don't see him displaying much of a finishing ability to go along with his two-way play and skating. Otherwise a solid prospect.

7. Oscar Moller - What I've read and seen reminds me of Pushkarev. He has a slightly bigger body, and by all accounts is more coachable... but he has a similar style of play.

8. Joe Piskula - He reminded me of a younger Aaron Miller. I don't like Miller the player, now, but he was much better when he was younger.

9. Lauri Tukonen - Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm genuinely afraid that he's had way too many injuries to develop into something special.

10. Jeff Zatkoff - I think he'll become at least a reliable backup in the future, if not more. I just hope he turns the poor U-20 tournament into a learning experience.

11. Ted Purcell - Sounds like a developing powerforward. I hope for the best for him.

12. Richard Petiot - He doesn't get enough love (myself included), but I am worried about his injuries as well.

13. Peter Harrold - He had the best combination of speed and puck control out of all the defensemen in last year's prospect camp.

14. Niclas Andersen - He showed the best puck possession ability, but wasn't as fast as Harrold. I thought he could make for a good offensive/puck rushing defenseman, but apparently he's more defensive. Oops.

15. David Meckler - Put up nice numbers last year and has a very strong shot.

16. Marc-Andre Cliche - Sounds like a true leader who the MAINEiacs missed. Seems to do everything well enough, but not spectacular.

17. Patrick Hersley - He looked more like a physical defenseman, with his size and ability to lay out big hits, but apparently he's more of an offensive defenseman. I just didn't see this.

18. Jonathan Quick - He doesn't cover the net especially well, but does have good (quick) reflexes to help make up for it.

19. Bryan Cameron - Another former captain, but also seemed to make the transition well into the new league.

20. Johan Fransson - There's still hope for this guy, whose stock seemed to drop quite a bit this year. I still have faith in his upside.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
7. Oscar Moller - What I've read and seen reminds me of Pushkarev. He has a slightly bigger body, and by all accounts is more coachable... but he has a similar style of play.
Moller is like a less skilled but more gritty Cammalleri. Moller is not like Pushkarev. Moller is a lot stronger and better conditioned. Pushkarev is 6-1 180 while Moller is 5-11 184. That is a pretty big difference especially when you consider that Moller is only 18 while Pushkarev is 22. One of Mollers best qualities is grit and that's something Pushkarev has never had. Moller is one of the hardest workers in the whole '07 draft. He spends a lot of time in the weigth room and he is a leader on the ice. He nevers stops moving his feet. He is more like Cammalleri than Pushkarev in that he is always hungry for the puck and the net. Good list overall.

Last edited by RightKinger: 06-25-2007 at 11:50 AM.
RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Game Misconduct

Having not seen most of the guys we just drafted play (one exception being the Miami kid, who I never was focusing on and who never stood out to me), I don't know how I could possibly try to rank them.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 04:28 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
Moller is like a less skilled but more gritty Cammalleri. Moller is not like Pushkarev. Moller is a lot stronger and better conditioned. Pushkarev is 6-1 180 while Moller is 5-11 184. That is a pretty big difference especially when you consider that Moller is only 18 while Pushkarev is 22. One of Mollers best qualities is grit and that's something Pushkarev has never had. Moller is one of the hardest workers in the whole '07 draft. He spends a lot of time in the weigth room and he is a leader on the ice. He nevers stops moving his feet. He is more like Cammalleri than Pushkarev in that he is always hungry for the puck and the net. Good list overall.
I understand the size difference, but that's why I said "style of play" And one of Pushkarev's qualities as a prospect WAS grittiness. He got into a fight in his first WHL game (and completed the Gordie Howe hat trick with a goal and assist).

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Spike777

Ted Purcell

Someone just asked me about Ted Purcell in the NHL Draft category, so I thought I would post here as well:

Teddy Purcell

I watched Ted all season long in the USHL when he played for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders and led us to a Clark Cup Championship in 2004-05. He has deceptive speed, great hands, and a quick shot. He has decent size, but needs to put on some weight and muscle to battle in the NHL. With his talent, he could become a quality second line player for the Kings scoring in the 60-70 point range. He played for a quality coach in CR (Mark Carlson) who teaches his players the fundamentals and how to play at both ends of the ice. Ironically, the Kings just drafted Alec Martinez who was Purcell's point man on the power play in Cedar Rapids. They worked well together. Anyway, you're getting a great player and a hard worker and I know the Kings fans will love him when he makes the big club.

Spike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 05:56 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike777 View Post
Someone just asked me about Ted Purcell in the NHL Draft category, so I thought I would post here as well:

Teddy Purcell

I watched Ted all season long in the USHL when he played for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders and led us to a Clark Cup Championship in 2004-05. He has deceptive speed, great hands, and a quick shot. He has decent size, but needs to put on some weight and muscle to battle in the NHL. With his talent, he could become a quality second line player for the Kings scoring in the 60-70 point range. He played for a quality coach in CR (Mark Carlson) who teaches his players the fundamentals and how to play at both ends of the ice. Ironically, the Kings just drafted Alec Martinez who was Purcell's point man on the power play in Cedar Rapids. They worked well together. Anyway, you're getting a great player and a hard worker and I know the Kings fans will love him when he makes the big club.
Thank you very much.

Old
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Spike777

Alec Martinez

Here's some info about Alec Martinez:

Being a season ticket holder of the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, I got to watch Alec during the 2004-05 season. He was "hands down" our best defenseman that season. He never got burned by a speedy winger and plays great "positional" defense. He not extremely tall, but is very strong for his size. During his time in CR, he didn't score a lot for us, but when he did, he scored some BIG goals. I've got to watch about 5 of his games on tv (since he's now moved on to Miami of Ohio) and his offensive skills have definitely improved which is great because he does have an accurate shot. Don't expect him to be another Lubomir Visnovsky, but I could see Alec pumping in 10-15 goals a year, with a bunch of helpers. Overall, he's a stay-at-home defensemen, that will occasionally join the rush, and he'll rarely hurt your team. A top 3 D-Man when it's all said and done. It's a good thing that the Kings drafted him this year, because he would have been a hot free agent upon completing his college stint.

GOOD LUCK TEDDY AND ALEC

Old
06-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Spike777

LeftKinger

Hey LeftKinger,
I tried to send you a private message, but your box is full. You might want to delete a few of your messages. Later

Spike777

Old
06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
RightKinger

Thanks for the info Spike. Sorry about the PM thing. I just deleted all of my messages.

Old
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Hollywood

My only comments are that any list that is put forward should have Teddy Purcell in the top 10. He will take one year of development in the AHL and then he is going to be in an LA uniform come 2008-09 and be damn good. There was 15 or 16 teams after this kid and we got him. He is gonna be a head turner. can't wait!

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote