HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Larry Brooks/John Dellapina Post Draft Rangers notes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2007, 04:18 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,532
vCash: 500
Larry Brooks/John Dellapina Post Draft Rangers notes

Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Artem Anisimov, last year's second-round pick whom the club is close to signing to a contract
He will be participating in the Rangers prospects camp this week which runs Monday-Friday.Alexei Cherepanov will also be there

The Rangers should let Anisimov play in Russia next season.Toronto signed their Russian Nikolai Kumelin to an entry level contract but he is scheduled to come to the NHL for the 2008-09 season

Benoit Allaire likes Antoine Lafleur

Quote:
"Benoit [Allaire, goaltending coach] is really excited about [Lafleur] coming to this camp," Renney said. "He knows the kid as a goaltender."
Quote:
Impending free agent Jed Ortmeyer appears on his way to being a former Ranger. "No progress," Ortmeyer's agent, Mark Witkin, told The Post. "Either they're playing it cool or they don't want him."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06242007...rry_brooks.htm

Quote:
If you think third-line winger Scott Hartnell's six-year deal with the Flyers at $4.2 million per - an arbitration comparable, by the way - isn't going to have an impact on Group II Sean Avery's negotiations with the Rangers, think again. It will
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06242007...oks.htm?page=2

Only problem,Hartnell was going to be a group III while Avery will be a group II and you can't use group III signings as comparables to group II free agents

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 04:25 AM
  #2
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,532
vCash: 500
Jay Grossman told his buddy John Dellapina(Brian Leetch connection)

Quote:
According to Cherepanov's agent, Jay Grossman, the Rangers wound up benefiting from league-wide fears that were unfounded. Contrary to popular belief, Grossman told the Daily News that Cherepanov not only will be permitted to leave his Russian team to play for the Rangers next season but that an agreement to that effect already is in place.

"In this case, we have an agreement with the club (Omsk) and Alexei has an agreement with the club that they will allow him to come over here after (the 2007-08) season," Grossman said yesterday morning at Nationwide Arena before Rounds 2 through 7 of the NHL draft
.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...sian_over.html

Is Kevin Lowe listening?Lowe is spreading rumors about Cherepanov and the transfer agreement

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 05:31 AM
  #3
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Nobody's confirmed it, but word is New York GM Glen Sather offered up the rest of his draft picks after taking Cherepanov for Phoenix's No. 30 selection, but the Coyotes' took Edmonton native Nick Ross, a defenceman with the Regina Pats, instead.

Sather obviously thought he'd made a big enough splash with Cherepanov, that if he got one more first-rounder, that was enough
.
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...ebafb73ee8&p=2

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 05:36 AM
  #4
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Murray confirmed he has asked Rangers GM Glen Sather for permission to speak with his nephew, Tim Murray, about the Senators' assistant GM's role. Tim Murray is a respected talent evaluator who has worked on Bryan Murray's scouting staff in Detroit, Florida and Anaheim
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senato...85710-sun.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 07:24 AM
  #5
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jay Grossman told his buddy John Dellapina(Brian Leetch connection)



http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...sian_over.html

Is Kevin Lowe listening?Lowe is spreading rumors about Cherepanov and the transfer agreement

Best point of that article is the following passage:

Quote:
"Most of these teams didn't even bother to make the effort to go see him play in the (Russian) Super League," Grossman said. "Frankly, that was a mistake. There are a handful of teams that will regret the decision not to take him."

Apparently, Cherepanov is determined to make sure of that.

"The Rangers were absolutely fortunate," Grossman said. "And, quite frankly, Alexei was of the belief that, as time wore on in the draft, if the Rangers weren't going to take him, he probably wasn't going to come over here.

"He's a respectful kid. But he played against all these kids. So he knows where he stands. And he's a proud kid. Is he upset that other teams didn't take him? Obviously, he knows where he stands."
An elite talent who's motivated to prove the 16 teams passed on him that they all blundered is a good thing for the Rangers.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 08:09 AM
  #6
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,995
vCash: 500
So much for all the rumors. Well now him playing here next year has become more of a possibility. If he does come to camp and plays amazing and shows he can play in the NHL right now, I dont see why they wouldnt give him a shot especially if they know he wants to play here.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 08:22 AM
  #7
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks
If you think third-line winger Scott Hartnell's six-year deal with the Flyers at $4.2 million per - an arbitration comparable, by the way - isn't going to have an impact on Group II Sean Avery's negotiations with the Rangers, think again. It will
I thought again. It won't. Thanks, Larry.

__________________
Fantasy sports betting at FakePuppy - Pick moneylines, over/unders and spreads. Totally free.
abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 08:39 AM
  #8
lotus
Registered User
 
lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I thought again. It won't. Thanks, Larry.
lol, thanks for the first laugh of the day.

-btw good videos in your sig. For a while now those have been the only ones i really liked on youtube, w/ good music too.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 08:42 AM
  #9
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I thought again. It won't. Thanks, Larry.
I think it will a little as Avery will look for a little more$, but Sather will bring up that he practically disappeared in the Buffalo series.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 09:02 AM
  #10
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Nobody's confirmed it, but word is New York GM Glen Sather offered up the rest of his draft picks after taking Cherepanov for Phoenix's No. 30 selection, but the Coyotes' took Edmonton native Nick Ross, a defenceman with the Regina Pats, instead.

Sather obviously thought he'd made a big enough splash with Cherepanov, that if he got one more first-rounder, that was enough.
I wonder who Sather had targeted. Should have tryed for #28 and got Petrecki.

I believe one player the Rangers would have wanted was Brett MaClean picked by Don Maloney with the 2nd pick of the second round.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 09:04 AM
  #11
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Now we all know why the Brighton Beach Express was so smug when answering the question about his ability to leave after the upcoming season. Further evidence that the kid is smart. As a NYR fan I would like to offer my personal thanks to all of the NHL teams that failed to do their due deligence! Thank you, one and all!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 09:10 AM
  #12
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
instead of trading the the 30th overall pick they should have traded for the 18th pick and then they could have gotten Esposito also which would have been great. Imagine that line in the future of Callahan, Esposito, and Cherepanov?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 09:18 AM
  #13
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I wonder who Sather had targeted. Should have tryed for #28 and got Petrecki.

I believe one player the Rangers would have wanted was Brett MaClean picked by Don Maloney with the 2nd pick of the second round.

When I saw MacLean go to the 'Yotes, that was my first thought.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 09:20 AM
  #14
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Quote:
Donít be surprised if Murray names a new assistant GM before a new coach. Murray has received permission from the New York Rangers to talk with his nephew Tim Murray, who was a scout under his uncle in Detroit, Florida and Anaheim
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../WBhockeyblog/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 11:32 AM
  #15
bagh
Registered User
 
bagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 543
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Only problem,Hartnell was going to be a group III while Avery will be a group II and you can't use group III signings as comparables to group II free agents
Besides isn't Avery a RFA? If the rangers extend a qualifying offer, does he honestly think he would have leverage in negotiations?

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
  #16
CaptainBlueshirt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jay Grossman told his buddy John Dellapina(Brian Leetch connection)



http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...sian_over.html

Is Kevin Lowe listening?Lowe is spreading rumors about Cherepanov and the transfer agreement
Speaking of Kevin Lowe. Did anyone else find him extremely obnoxious during his post pick interviews. He mentioned picking a Canadian each time and in such a condenscending tone.

CaptainBlueshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:04 PM
  #17
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Lowe has become arogant since the lockout. I can honestly say at this point I am glad that Glen Sather is the general manager of the new york rangers and Don Maloney or Kevin Lowe are not.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:42 PM
  #18
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBlueshirt View Post
Speaking of Kevin Lowe. Did anyone else find him extremely obnoxious during his post pick interviews. He mentioned picking a Canadian each time and in such a condenscending tone.
Yeah i lost a ton of respect for him...I also thought Doug Mclean was leaning on the Zherdev card a little to hard..I mean come on...Mclean was a suck coach and GM way before he drafted Zherdev...

The line of pro-canadian vs out and out bias against European players was crossed during the draft coverage IMO...

The whole hockey is played the "RIGHT" way in North America logic is insulting to all hockey fans...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:51 PM
  #19
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Yeah i lost a ton of respect for him...I also thought Doug Mclean was leaning on the Zherdev card a little to hard..I mean come on...Mclean was a suck coach and GM way before he drafted Zherdev...

The line of pro-canadian vs out and out bias against European players was crossed during the draft coverage IMO...

The whole hockey is played the "RIGHT" way in North America logic is insulting to all hockey fans...
Completely agreed, SoS.

You know, I find myself contantly wondering why my favorite sport doesn't find wider acceptance, why the league has such trouble growing... and then I hear smug, self-serving, almost racist crap like that and I say "oh yeah - that's why."

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 05:13 PM
  #20
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If you think third-line winger Scott Hartnell's six-year deal with the Flyers at $4.2 million per - an arbitration comparable, by the way - isn't going to have an impact on Group II Sean Avery's negotiations with the Rangers, think again. It will
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06242007...oks.htm?page=2

Only problem,Hartnell was going to be a group III while Avery will be a group II and you can't use group III signings as comparables to group II free agents
The key part is that "Hartnell was going to be a group III" but he was not when signed.

Several other commentators have pointed out that Hartnell would be an RFA comparable which would accord with the CBA provisions as I read them.

My understanding is that because Hartnell signed while was RFA, that would be a comparable. He had not yet attained Group III status - it was only pending. He would not be UFA until July 1, 2007.

Here is what the CBA provides inter alia at 12.9 (g) (iii) respecting what cannot be considered by an Arbitrator:
Quote:
The following categories of evidence are inadmissible and shall not be considered by the Salary Arbitrator:

(A) Any SPC the term of which began when the Player party to such SPC was not a Group 2 Player;

(B) Any SPC entered into by an Unrestricted Free Agent, including SPCs signed by Players after the Player's Club has exercised a walk-away right pursuant to Section 12.10;
Hartnell was was Group II player when he signed his current SPC. He was not an Unrestricted Free Agent. Therefore he would be a comparable for the purposes of salary arbitration.

Brooks may well be wrong on some things, but not on this point.

The Flyers have really thrown a monkey wrench into things yet again (as with Kesler).

You can try to design an idiot-proof system but the world just develops better idiots.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 06:13 PM
  #21
Chayos
Registered User
 
Chayos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posts: 2,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBlueshirt View Post
Speaking of Kevin Lowe. Did anyone else find him extremely obnoxious during his post pick interviews. He mentioned picking a Canadian each time and in such a condenscending tone.
Well lets go over some basic facts.

1) Canada Develops more players for the NHL than any other Country.

2) Anaheim recently won the stanley cup and had a higher Canadian player count than anyone in teh NHL.

3) Edmonton is a Canadian city and its fans Canadian for the most part.


I see nothing wrong with Lowe being proud to be a Canadian and given his hockey history he has every right to make that sort of call. You can be insulted about it all you want but he didn't say anything bad about any other nationality. I am also Canadian and an oiler fan and I will say I am actually pretty glad we drafted mostly Canadians with our picks.

My statements are not meant to be condescending either, because the US has become one of the best at developing talent for the NHL as well.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 06:24 PM
  #22
CaptainBlueshirt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1 View Post
Well lets go over some basic facts.

1) Canada Develops more players for the NHL than any other Country.

2) Anaheim recently won the stanley cup and had a higher Canadian player count than anyone in teh NHL.

3) Edmonton is a Canadian city and its fans Canadian for the most part.


I see nothing wrong with Lowe being proud to be a Canadian and given his hockey history he has every right to make that sort of call. You can be insulted about it all you want but he didn't say anything bad about any other nationality. I am also Canadian and an oiler fan and I will say I am actually pretty glad we drafted mostly Canadians with our picks.

My statements are not meant to be condescending either, because the US has become one of the best at developing talent for the NHL as well.
Wow coming out of a Canadian I am truly shocked to see the stance you have taken with this issue.

CaptainBlueshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 06:32 PM
  #23
MrAlfie
 
MrAlfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rehab
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1 View Post
Well lets go over some basic facts.

1) Canada Develops more players for the NHL than any other Country.

2) Anaheim recently won the stanley cup and had a higher Canadian player count than anyone in teh NHL.

3) Edmonton is a Canadian city and its fans Canadian for the most part.


I see nothing wrong with Lowe being proud to be a Canadian and given his hockey history he has every right to make that sort of call. You can be insulted about it all you want but he didn't say anything bad about any other nationality. I am also Canadian and an oiler fan and I will say I am actually pretty glad we drafted mostly Canadians with our picks.

My statements are not meant to be condescending either, because the US has become one of the best at developing talent for the NHL as well.

are you glad they drafted canadians because they are canadians or because they are good hockey players?

im still surprised how much nationality matters these days.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 08:01 PM
  #24
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie Mexes View Post
are you glad they drafted canadians because they are canadians or because they are good hockey players?

im still surprised how much nationality matters these days.
I am too..

Maybe I'm way off base but I think the generation in Edmonton that didn't see grow up to see Kurri and Tikkinen and countless other European players is here...

I mean I'm shocked Lowe is the way he is...It was almost like he traded Captain Canada so he has to play up the Canadian card...I can see it from my living room..

The thing is Lowe played with so many GREAT HARDWORKING TWO WAY EUROPEAN PLAYERS it's insulting to them to play up the nationality thing...

Again maybe I'm looking way to much into it...I just don't think it mattered to Lowe during his playing days where his teammates were born....now it does??

Just sorta seems like a man grasping at straws to me...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 08:02 PM
  #25
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie Mexes View Post
are you glad they drafted canadians because they are canadians or because they are good hockey players?

im still surprised how much nationality matters these days.
Agreed. I thought such nonsense disappears with education, but I guess it matters alot what you're taught. I couldn't care less where a person's from, what matters is how the person acts and who this person decides to be.

But of course, I'm always happy when a Swedish player does fine, because I care alot about the national team as well, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate a Finnish player like Selšnne having success either, or a player like Shanahan being a tremendous class act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1 View Post
Well lets go over some basic facts.

1) Canada Develops more players for the NHL than any other Country.

2) Anaheim recently won the stanley cup and had a higher Canadian player count than anyone in teh NHL.

3) Edmonton is a Canadian city and its fans Canadian for the most part.
1. So how do you take that fact any further? I could just as easily put up the argument "percentage-wise, Canada has a lower percentage of superstars in the league - counted against the number of players total nation-wise - than most European countries." Now does it mean anything? No. Does your fact take into account that most 3rd and 4th liners are north american, while there are many players in Europe who probably could fill out many of those roles as well (but, you never hire international players for tasks that players in your own country can handle)? No. Now did that argument mean anything important? No. Does your argument mean that Canada - since they have so many hockey players - automatically can form the best team to win every international tournament? No.
2. 10 year dynasty dragon Detroit (which was very close to eliminate Anaheim), which has relied heavily on euro players - mostly from Russia and Sweden - says hello.
3. Wow. It's amazing what you can learn by surfing on internet. I who thought - until now - that Edmonton was located in Egypt.

Did you try to make some kind of proud, Canadian nationalistic argument, backing them up with these very basic (especially nr.3) random facts?

edit: SoS, kind of funny that we both highlighted the same sentence and wanted to respond to it, before in my normal fashion decided to expand my post with a responce to this oh so proud Canadian.


Last edited by Chimp: 06-24-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.