HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #19-still just a potato

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2003, 07:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #19-still just a potato

This is why I didn't get excited after the Vancouver game.

We're still brutal, boring, not desperate whatsoever, have no guidance and no execution on even simple passes, it's disgusting Bantam hockey out there.

Opposition players are still coming out for the 3 Stars in our rink......we're being walked on and insulted. I also wish the PPV viewers would get a clue when it comes to voting.

Coaching Report:

As usual, Craig MacTavish did pretty much nothing positive to impact his team. Starting Tommy Salo and hoping he'd win, when a smart coach would play Ty and then Tommy against Minnesota, Jumbling lines up in the hopes of scoring, instead of strategizing and capitalizing on a Flames team that didn't play well at all, Benching players for no particular reason and playing others for no particular reason...it just goes on and on. Calling a time-out with 3.5 seconds to go Craig??? Yeah, that makes ya look really smart...........
--------------------------------------------

Player Reports:

Rear-end-

Scott Ferguson: No surprise here. Stunk the joint out with slow play and bad giveaways all night. Big part of the first Calgary goal. Just not good enough to play for this team. Too bad Cross had back-spasms tonight, coulda made the difference. Ferguson was the odd-man-out in warmup.

Adam Oates: Time for me to rag on this guy. Is currently doing the grand sum of NOTHING. No hustle, no vision (somehow), made a few decent plays towards the net but that's all. It was great watching Oates pull-up on a race to beat an icing he should've won......Why are you playing if you're gonna dog it and make bad decisions Adam? And yes I know he had an assist.
-----------------------------

Middle of the road-

Tommy Salo- Definately not the third star. So many loose saves and pucks that should've controlled. Not the flailing at the puck that constitutes Tommy's puck-handling. Way too slow and indecisive on McAmmond's goal, and too far back on not playing the shot on Iginla's goal. He couldn't have done much about a lackluster effort by our forwards, but Tommy's gotta be better.

Jason Smith- Playing tough hockey again, but also some not-so-smart decisions. At the high end of the mediocre guys tonight, but still not a completely solid performance.

Steve Staios- Not a great night for Stevey. Just hasn't looked like the same guy lately.

Eric Brewer- If his pass late is on Hemsky's stick instead of his foot, that game is tied with 3 minutes to go. Many passes like that tonight as well. Really shakey game.

Marc-Andre Bergeron- Decent game, would've quite possibly scored had the human hockey disaster, aka anchor, not blocked his one-timer shot that was headed for twine. Just didn't make a ton happen. Solid play though.

Alex Semenov- Not too bad tonight. Little off though still.

Fernando Pisani- Had a couple nice chances and didn't convert.

Shawn Horcoff- Let's see, blocked a goal, made his usual amount of bad passes and bad shots, not overskating his checks by as much, still the master of falling on his butt, out of position alot, pretty much your typical Horcoff game, didn't happen to cost us a ton tonight though.

Raffi Torres- Invisible. He's tailing off, and that's not good for this team.

Georges Laraque- See his last 10 or so games. Chimera should've played.

Ethan Moreau- Doing okay until his shoulder flared on him.

Jarret Stoll- Didn't play great, but was solid at least, made some good choices. It's just sad Horcoff gets the chances ahead of him at the end of games and such, because Stoll is a flat-out better hockey player.

Brad Isbister- Playing better. Actually took a puck to the net around a defender with speed tonight, although he couldn't finish and only did it once. Making better decisions with the puck and such, but consistency and better performances are still required from Brad.

Radek Dvorak- I like Radek's game alot right now, but he's gotta start getting more done. Effort and chances are nice, but without burying them, they're nothing.

Ales Hemsky- Solid game, convinced the game woulda been tied had Brewer's pass been in the right place, Ales had the stick pulled back and ready to fire at an open corner. Missed a chance I don't think I've ever seen him miss in the 2nd, was pretty shocked, that's why he only gets the middle grade tonight.

Ryan Smyth- Not playing Ryan Smyth hockey at all right now, and can't take a pass or skate around someone to save his life. Hasn't had a decent couple tip-ins in a long time. This hockey team needs alot better Ryan Smyth.
-----------------

Just Ahead

Mike York- Bringing it quite consistently these days. Now give him consistent talented linemates and clutch ice-time, he'll do the rest.

---------------------------------------------------

Is it just me, or is there a real broken record theme here?

I don't think I've ever wanted to sleep at so many Oilers games in a season, or seen such a bleak hockey team in recent times.

At least the Flames fans are fairly civil.

LMHF#1 is out.

Old
12-28-2003, 07:38 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Starting Tommy Salo and hoping he'd win, when a smart coach would play Ty and then Tommy against Minnesota

Sorry I couldn't get passed this brain fart. I hope I don't have to explain on how stupid that is.

Old
12-28-2003, 07:45 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ

Sorry I couldn't get passed this brain fart. I hope I don't have to explain on how stupid that is.
What, that's what teams with 2 nearly equal goalies in rotation, and playing back-to-back nights do when the goalie the night before did not putting on a shockingly good performance. Ty should've started tonight, not saying it would've made a difference, but it would've made more sense. MacTavish was hoping Salo would steal one, that's the only reason for doing what he did. Salo did not shutout Vancouver or stand on his head. Coaches are not supposed to make decisions based on hope, and strategy says you start Conklin.

Old
12-28-2003, 07:46 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ

Well HOZ?.........take him to school. What is so stupid?

Personally I didn't care who started tonight.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:08 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Nah, I agree with HOZ. Keep Salo going. He played well against Vancouver and being at the game tonight, he played good. Not his fault on the first one, and no way he's stopping Iginla's shot from the top of the circle. 2 goals on bad defensive decisions. As far as your report goes LMHF...pretty accurate...except Semenov sucked huge tonight. He must have give then puck away almost every shift. Had one good rush though, but no shot on net. Smyth and Isbister, defintely the 2 best skaters on the ice for the Oil tonight.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:14 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
Nah, I agree with HOZ.
Okay but.......umm..........HOZ never said anything...........other than insinuate that a fellow poster said something stupid.

Now he's vanished. A "drive by" scorning I guess.

If I'm gonna suggest something someone said is stupid........there is always an explanation.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:18 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Okay but.......umm..........HOZ never said anything...........other than insinuate that a fellow poster said something stupid.

If I'm gonna suggest something someone said is stupid........there is always an explanation.

I thought HOZ was calling Mac-T stupid...

Old
12-28-2003, 08:20 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

Least my game report gets bumps from it, not gonna complain

Old
12-28-2003, 08:27 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:

LMAO...good point.
Still, IMO, Salo needs to start more. Lets play him on Tuesday and in 5/6 road games on the trip. I'm interested in seeing what happens...I personally, think he'll turn it around.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:33 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I thought HOZ was calling Mac-T stupid...
Hey, perhaps you are right. It could be read that way too.

I don't know.

(bump)

Old
12-28-2003, 08:35 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
LMAO...good point.
Still, IMO, Salo needs to start more. Lets play him on Tuesday and in 5/6 road games on the trip. I'm interested in seeing what happens...I personally, think he'll turn it around.
That's true. There's certainly arguments for each side.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:54 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Tommy Salo- Definately not the third star. So many loose saves and pucks that should've controlled. Not the flailing at the puck that constitutes Tommy's puck-handling. Way too slow and indecisive on McAmmond's goal, and too far back on not playing the shot on Iginla's goal. He couldn't have done much about a lackluster effort by our forwards, but Tommy's gotta be better.
You might want to watch the replay on the Iginla goal... Salo was a foot out of the crease.

I'm not really sure how much farther out you expect a goaltender to be on a 2 on 1...

Old
12-28-2003, 09:46 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

i think that salo didnt have much of a chance on the iginla goal...Iginla and whoever coming in on a 2 on 1 when Dvorak is the guy back, doesnt give tommy any chance to cheat and take the shot because Radek was the man back..

Old
12-29-2003, 01:26 AM
HOZ

Quote:
Well HOZ?.........take him to school. What is so stupid?

Personally I didn't care who started tonight.
My goodness, I DO have to explain.

Lets see here.....

4 million on the bench rotting because he is having a horrendous year. A guy that usually puts in 70 plus games a year for us.

He has the best game of the season where he stops 31 shots. He looks like he has FINALLY gotten Godzilla off his back. And you guys agree with LMHF that he should have been rested against our biggest rival.

A guy that can log 70 games as #1 and he finally looks like he has snapped his slump and YOU guys want to bench him. Great idea guys!

Old
12-29-2003, 01:32 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ

Lets see here.....

4 million on the bench rotting because he is having a horrendous year. A guy that usually puts in 70 plus games a year for us.

He has the best game of the season where he stops 31 shots. He looks like he has FINALLY gotten Godzilla off his back. And you guys agree with LMHF that he should have been rested against our biggest rival.

A guy that can log 70 games as #1 and he finally looks like he has snapped his slump and YOU guys want to bench him. Great idea guys!
Holy CRAP dude. Settle down!

So I guess NOT playing him in back to back games is considered a benching? pffft.

BTW, who's agreeing with LMHF again?

In my FIRST post of this thread I said I didn't really care who started in CGY.

But oh no....g2k wants to bench Salo now.

Do the whole board a big favor and start reading the posts.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...400#post640400

Last edited by gretzky2kurri: 12-30-2003 at 03:56 PM.
Old
12-29-2003, 01:42 AM
gretzky2kurri

I also later mentioned that both sides of this argument had some points.

Here I'll help you out a bit today:

BOTH

Old
12-29-2003, 05:14 AM
ZIM

vCash:
MacT could save us all the trouble of trying to figure out what he's doing by telling us his goalie strategy. Like this is going to happen.

My strategy would be to play a goalie till he loses and then switch, playing him until he loses. Only when it was obvious that one was consistently outplaying the other would I pick.

The real answer is who do you expect to beat when you only score 1 goal?

Old
12-29-2003, 05:14 AM
Meanashell11

Well isn't everybody a bit testy here today. Must be the wheels falling off the victory wagon.

In any event Salo should be started for 5 or 6 in a row. He did play well in both games and Conklin has played well when he was in but Tommy needs the chance to prove he is either a starter or not and he needs a bunch of games to do that. The risk is that Conklin gets upset but as he is so close. I think if the coaches and GM go to him and say listen, we owe it to Tommy but if it doesnt work out you will be the starter he can live with that.

Old
12-29-2003, 09:44 AM
Schai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ

Lets see here.....

I think oilers should have rotated the goalies.

If Salo can't get the job done on the regular basis, then some one else should take over.

Old
12-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
Well isn't everybody a bit testy here today. Must be the wheels falling off the victory wagon.

In any event Salo should be started for 5 or 6 in a row. He did play well in both games and Conklin has played well when he was in but Tommy needs the chance to prove he is either a starter or not and he needs a bunch of games to do that. The risk is that Conklin gets upset but as he is so close. I think if the coaches and GM go to him and say listen, we owe it to Tommy but if it doesnt work out you will be the starter he can live with that.
I completely agree.. I've said it before but I'll say it again, the only way we'll make it into the playoffs is if Salo has a complete turnaround to his season and starts dominating like we know he is capable of doing. I think he has looked very good in the last couple games.. his positioning has been fairly strong and his rebound control has been a lot better than many posters have claimed it has been. Conklin has looked steady but he is not a game-stealer IMO.. Tommy is not either at this point but I do feel he could steal us a few in the next couple weeks if we ride him pretty hard.

Old
12-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Master Lok

Agree with HOZ. Salo looked very very good against Vancouver and deserved the start against Calgary. Conklin has proven his worth as a backup but we need Salo to make the playoffs. He has his best game of the season and we need him to continue a roll. 2 goals against Vancouver and 2 goals against Calgary. Both are very strong teams, take a look at the standings. He's playing much better than earlier in the season.

Old
12-29-2003, 02:19 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
MacT could save us all the trouble of trying to figure out what he's doing by telling us his goalie strategy. Like this is going to happen.

My strategy would be to play a goalie till he loses and then switch, playing him until he loses. Only when it was obvious that one was consistently outplaying the other would I pick.

The real answer is who do you expect to beat when you only score 1 goal?
That's a very good point.

We wouldn't be having these conversations if the Oilers could put the puck in the net more often. I haven't forgotten the Vancouver outburst, but in alot of other games in December the forwards were not doing the Oiler goalies many favors at the other end of the ice.

Old
12-29-2003, 04:29 PM
hockeyaddict101

agree

Quote:
Nah, I agree with HOZ. Keep Salo going. He played well against Vancouver and being at the game tonight, he played good. Not his fault on the first one, and no way he's stopping Iginla's shot from the top of the circle. 2 goals on bad defensive decisions. As far as your report goes LMHF...pretty accurate...except Semenov sucked huge tonight. He must have give then puck away almost every shift. Had one good rush though, but no shot on net. Smyth and Isbister, defintely the 2 best skaters on the ice for the Oil tonight.
and I was pretty peeved when he was put on the ice in the last minute when they were trying to tie it up.

Loved his pass to absolutely no one by the Oilers bench. If the Oilers touch it it's a penalty if they don't Calgary gets it (which they did), shoot it in and basically this ends the game.

Bad coaching, bad decision :mad:

As for Salo. He has played well in the last two games. He hasn't had a shot at any of the goals that went in. Conklin is a good back-up goaltender. If Salo doesn't come to form there is no chance that we make up the ground for a playoff spot.

Closed Thread