HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez working out with Shanny???

Old
06-25-2007, 08:01 AM
TheRedressor

vCash: 500
It's not worth it to give Nylander a mega year deal. Jagr makes Nylander, not the other way around.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 08:03 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Are you guys willing to break the bank for him? Because someone will offer him top dollar. I'm sure of it and I'm afraid it might be Philly.

Talk about choosing between two poisons as a Devils fan.

See I wouldn't and I hope the Rangers don't break the bank for him, but that doesn't mean that if they did, he wouldn't sign with them because what he said months ago.

He'll be a Flyer depending on if Montreal or Buffalo re-sign Briere.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 08:59 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Would you take .5 million more to play with a friend?
All things equal in terms of the other offers I get, yes I would.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:02 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

AFAIK Gomez and Shanny are friends. Imagine that!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:19 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Means nothing. A lot of NHLers work out together.
I agree that it doesn't mean much, but at the very least, I'm sure Shanny is laying it on thick and trying to persuade Gomez... even if it is in a casual/joking manner.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:21 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Doesn't Callahan work out with Gomez too? Thought I heard that somewhere..
I think it was Gionta working out with Cally, but I could be wrong. They are both from the Rochester, NY area.

Old
06-25-2007, 09:25 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...38/1002/SPORTS

Quote:
It has been widely speculated that Drury would like to play on the West Coast and could be headed to San Jose. Gomez has been working out with Rangers winger Brendan Shanahan in what could be an audition for the top center spot in New York.
What does this tell you??
Thats interesting... I thought Gomez was the one out of the two that wanted to play for a West Coast team.

Old
06-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Devils and Gomez FAR AWAY from anything in terms of a contract?

Everyone also thought that about Elias last year. Lou is an amazing GM when it comes to retaining players when it looks bleak.

I would love to see Gomez here, I love reading that he is training w/Shanny...but I won't get my hopes up on it. In the end I think he will go where the money is.

I am trying not to get too excited about the FA market untill I read that Nylnder re-signs. If that happens, then I really feel the Rangers are going to land one of the big three UFA centers.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

I think this means Shanahan and Gomez are working out together.

Otherwise, I don't believe it necessarily means anything else. Although personally, I would like it to mean Gomez is leaning strongly towards becoming a Ranger.

In my opinion, if Nylander is asking for the 4-5 mil that has been reported; I believe the Rangers would be better served by putting that much money towards a guy like Gomez. He's younger (27 years old) and in his prime. He's a very talented playmaker, skater and passer. He also plays strong in all three zones.

Add his Post-Season/Stanley Cup winning experience and you have a guy who will provide an essential element to this roster and a guy that will bridge the gap when Jagr leaves. I don't like the idea of paying Gomez 6-7 mil, but he's probably going to get that much form some team, anyway. Seems like the salaries are going crazy, again.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

God i hope none of this is true.

I'd like Drury and Nylander please.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:45 PM
kovalev27hf

how can you guys possibly not think this is significant? first of all this is the first summer they've ever worked out together because this is the first summer shanny has been in the area for the offseason, since he's been a ranger. secondly, both avery AND shanny have openly mentioned gomez as the guy they want to play with next year in their post season interviews. third scott gomez doesn't have to take a paycut to play for the rangers and i don't know why people keep saying "he's not gonna take a pay cut just to go to play with his buddy" heck if we offer the same as someone else his friendship and respect for shanny very well could bring him to us. and finally the rangers were 7 secs away from basically heading to the eastern conference finals. they are VERY close to being a legit cup threat. other than anaheim, ottawa, san jose (who i have no clue as to why they'd want drury or gomez, with thornton and marleau there) there aren't to many teams closer to winning than us. Not to mention the kid doesn't even have to move. i'd honestly be surprised if gomez isn't a ranger by july 2nd.

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 02:02 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Thank you! Nylander was one of the better players on the NYR roster last season, if not top 5.
2nd on the team in points in the regular season,

1st in the playoffs

It's laughable when people act like losing Nylander would be no big deal. Pay the man, and pay him well.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:03 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
It's laughable when people act like losing Nylander would be no big deal. Pay the man, and pay him well.
What's truly laughable is the fact that peopel seem to want to block out the fact that his career high in points, prior to playing with Jagr, was 68. Now, based upon that, and not the fact that he somehow reinvented himself into a star player at the age of 34, what do you suppose the chances are that he reproduces a season like last year if he does not have Jagr on his wing?

Pay him for what he is not, and once Jagr leaves, you will be paying $6m for two years of mediocre play. Which is what the Rangers have done for the better part of a decade.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:22 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
What's truly laughable is the fact that peopel seem to want to block out the fact that his career high in points, prior to playing with Jagr, was 68. Now, based upon that, and not the fact that he somehow reinvented himself into a star player at the age of 34, what do you suppose the chances are that he reproduces a season like last year if he does not have Jagr on his wing?

Pay him for what he is not, and once Jagr leaves, you will be paying $6m for two years of mediocre play. Which is what the Rangers have done for the better part of a decade.
Jagr's going to be around at least another two seasons, I have no problem with giving Nylander a 3 year contract. 4's a stretch, but still not that bad. There's going to be a big transition no matter what when Jagr leaves, by then hopefully, we have replacements. I don't see Nylander doing much less than what he did this season, in the next two years. We need to ride out the good thing we have now, & not make a drastic change in chemistry. Even if he does drop off big time after Jagr leaves, becoming some kind of Holik, or Nedved, the money saved w/o Jagr's contract still keeps us in the market for a big name, should we need to make a purchase.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev27hf View Post
how can you guys possibly not think this is significant? first of all this is the first summer they've ever worked out together because this is the first summer shanny has been in the area for the offseason, since he's been a ranger. secondly, both avery AND shanny have openly mentioned gomez as the guy they want to play with next year in their post season interviews. third scott gomez doesn't have to take a paycut to play for the rangers and i don't know why people keep saying "he's not gonna take a pay cut just to go to play with his buddy" heck if we offer the same as someone else his friendship and respect for shanny very well could bring him to us. and finally the rangers were 7 secs away from basically heading to the eastern conference finals. they are VERY close to being a legit cup threat. other than anaheim, ottawa, san jose (who i have no clue as to why they'd want drury or gomez, with thornton and marleau there) there aren't to many teams closer to winning than us. Not to mention the kid doesn't even have to move. i'd honestly be surprised if gomez isn't a ranger by july 2nd.

Finally some common sense!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:09 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty30 View Post
you must have forgot who our gm is....
The same guy who fired the Head Coach, took the job and the ship sank?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 05:57 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Means nothing. A lot of NHLers work out together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
it means nothing. werent forsberg and naslund working out together prior to the start of the 05-06 season? didnt they even come out and say they want to play on the same team?
The thing is that many players do their summer workout somewhere close to where they happen to live (during the summer).

And many prefer to workout together with other players mainly because it's boring to workout alone (or together with some hockey crazed kids).

It's most noticeable with the euros (at least the swedes) since they often workout together with their 'home' team and other expats from the region. It's quite common that either the 'home' team or the national federation actually reserves facilities for their visiting NHL:ers. Forsberg, Näslund, Sedins and a gaggle of other ex-Modo players have summer lodgings in or around Övik so they naturally workout and practice together. It doesn't mean that they intend to play together the next season. (The home teams provide this service for a given reason, they want 'their' NHL:ers to sign for them when/if they decide to leave NHL. It often pays being nice.)

And it's mostly the same in NA. Players workout where they happen to be staying, and with other players that happen to be around and that they personally like.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 06:42 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
It's not worth it to give Nylander a mega year deal. Jagr makes Nylander, not the other way around.
Do under estimate what Nylander brings. He transports the puck for Jagr. It not Nylander then you have to find a replacement. If you find a replacement what happens to that replacement's game once Jagr is gone in 2 years? better to maintain the current part then to sign a longer term replacement and then don't have the go to guy to compliment the signing.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Chimp

Quote:

And prior to that, he has played in Chicago and Washington, two crap teams, in the "clutch & grab" era. Nylander arguably might be one of the players who has benefited the most from the new "can't touch this" era with his playstyle. Before, they could just bearhug him to death.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 09:25 AM
JR#9*

Quote:

Nylander's game is tailor made for the new NHL and he is one of those players that has gotten better later in his career and I'm not discounting what playing w/Jagr will do for your game but at the same time Nylander does his dipsy-doo stuff on his own and is one of the premier setup men in the NHL right now.

With the prices UFA centers are going to get this summer I see no other choice but to pony up the $$ for Nylander.

Do we really want to lose him and be forced to bid on 2 different UFA centers come next sunday?

I say give him his 4.5-4.75 for 3 yrs, if he demands the 4th yr then things can get dicey.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:07 AM
alucard

Are Gomez and Shannahan working out together as per some pre planned thing (1), or is it that they just so happen to be working out at the same place by chance more then anything(2)? The article I read was not specific and while I read it the 1st way, it could also be read the 2nd way however which basically has people assuming things which might not be true.

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
I think it was Gionta working out with Cally, but I could be wrong. They are both from the Rochester, NY area.
I think your correct, or atleast mostly correct, I remeber Sam or Joe saying Cally, Gionta, and Gionta's brother all working out together.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:17 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Maybe a Devils fan can shed some light on this.

Is Gomez married? (i thought he was single)

Kids?

Cause if he does have some kind of growing family, staying in this area might be a part in the decision making if he offered a contract with the Rangers.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I asked that Q earlier in the thread and a Devil fan says he has a girlfriend

06-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
What if Shanahan is planning on signing with the Devils? This thread is pointless! Lots of players from opposing teams workout together during the offseason.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote