HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

and if Lombardi does nothing...

Old
06-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
and if Lombardi does nothing...

...in the FA market, then what? Will you have a meltdown? Will you be ok if he says, the right deal or the right player wasn't out there? Do you need change this coming season? Why?

Frankly, I am ok with it. He wants to hang on to our 2008 first rounders and keep the core of the youth intact, doesn't want to spend more $$ until the trade deadline, while Kopitar, Cammy, Frolov, Brown, O'Sullivan get another year under their belt, and Johnson & maybe (just maybe) Boyle gets a shot at the team, that's fine by me. The only player out there I give a rat's behind about is Drury. The rest are all expendable and a level of talent that will be around in the 2008 free agent market.

Thoughts.

Last edited by Zad: 06-25-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
If he does nothing in the FA market and trades Lubo or Cammalleri, I'll lose it. If he makes a trade other than one involving Lubo or Cammy and then trades one in a separate deal without doing anything on the market, I'll be really pissed off.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:54 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I have a feeling we're going to see a couple big names signed.....call it a hunch.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 03:02 AM
Osprey

I'd be ok with it--not happy, but ok. From reaction to the draft, though, I have a feeling that some people will have huge meltdowns and we'll witness the crumbling of composure and rational thought right before our eyes, not to mention that we'll have to put up with the bitterness and pessimism (more than usual) for the rest of the year. That's reason enough for me to hope that Lombardi gets a good player or two

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 03:06 AM
Eighty-sixed

Not the time to win. Kopitar could use another season to mature. Thorton, Willsie, Blake and Cloutier's contracts run out after next season. I think he'll add a couple pieces, but you can tell by his initial signings that he was looking at '08-'09 to start making runs at the cup.

Signings...I'm guessing Hannan or Stuart and an experienced forward like Robert Lang or Jason Blake. Although Guerin would be nice.

Pretty sure it's the cellar for us again next season.

Eighty-sixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:32 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'll be upset. I had a hard time watching the Kings play last season because they were so boring. There are good players available who supposedly want to play here so I see no reason Lombardi can't sign an impact dman and forward. While those 2 players may not take the Kings to the playoffs I believe you cannot just sit around and wait to lose to get better. The Kings already stink, they already have their draft picks and they already have a decent young core not to mention a couple of gems in Johnson and Kopitar. I am of the opinion the Kings are not that far away from the playoffs and should be improving the team every summer. Not to mention Lombardi has some catching up to do with last summers disaster. Like DT he would've been better off not signing anybody than bringing in the grinders he brought in.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Quattro

I'll be upset, but not as upset as I would be if he doesn't lock up Lubo and Cammy long term. Do that and sign one decent FA and I'll be happy. I really don't want to sit through another season like last year, high draft picks be damned.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Johnny Utah

DL has to make moves, he has only 4 defenseman under contract for next year, Blake, Vis, Johnson, and Dahlman. He needs 2 more, or at least one if they are giving Harrold or Petiot a shot.

In terms of forward they probably have to do something also, they only have 2 centers under contract, Kopitar and Armstrong. McCauley was bought out and Lundmark is a RFA.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:56 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
DL has to make moves, he has only 4 defenseman under contract for next year, Blake, Vis, Johnson, and Dahlman. He needs 2 more, or at least one if they are giving Harrold or Petiot a shot.
TvO is under contract for next season...

I don't doubt that Lombardi will do something on the FA market. How "sexy" it will be remains to be seen...

I'm still hoping for Preissing...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:05 AM
eckseL

Send a message via AIM to eckseL
i hope he does bring in a couple of free agents, at least a couple strong stay at home dmen i'd be happy. I don't expect to see any trades because he has said before that he wants to keep the young corps. But you never know...

eckseL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:11 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
...in the FA market, then what? Will you have a meltdown? Will you be ok if he says, the right deal or the right player wasn't out there? Do you need change this coming season? Why?

Frankly, I am ok with it. He wants to hang on to our 2008 first rounders and keep the core of the youth intact, doesn't want to spend more $$ until the trade deadline, while Kopitar, Cammy, Frolov, Brown, O'Sullivan get another year under their belt, and Johnson & maybe (just maybe) Boyle gets a shot at the team, that's fine by me. The only player out there I give a rat's behind about is Drury. The rest are all expendable and a level of talent that will be around in the 2008 free agent market.

Thoughts.
I will not be happy if he does nothing.

LA has TONS of cap room.

You mentioned that he doesn't want to spend $$$ until the trade deadline, but by that time LA will be 20 games out of the playoffs and we will be sellers again.

Did you forget that they raised ticket prices last year? Why, so they can have the cheapest team in the NHL???

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
There are good players available who supposedly want to play here so I see no reason Lombardi can't sign an impact dman and forward.
Is "supposedly" a pseudonym for "media hype". Guys like Ekluand and Garrioch love to find these players that "supposedly" want to sign with LA. How many of us fell for the "Chara and Elias to LA" story last year. Lombardi keeps things close to himself, as we have all learned. Dont believe the hype your read until it happens.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:31 AM
RightKinger

I will be a little dissapointed but I won't be angry. If he doesn't do anything on the FA market then he better at least sign Cammalleri and Visnovsky to long term deals. The 2008 draft is WAY better than this one so we would be able to enjoy another great draft but with two first round picks this time.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:32 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
LA has TONS of cap room.
You can have all the money in the world but if they dont wanna play for LA they wont. How many free agents did they bring in last year that they chose to go somewhere else. People complain about the Blake signing but I believe he was the 2nd or 3rd prize of what he really wanted.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 12:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
You can have all the money in the world but if they dont wanna play for LA they wont. How many free agents did they bring in last year that they chose to go somewhere else. People complain about the Blake signing but I believe he was the 2nd or 3rd prize of what he really wanted.
Agreed. We can talk all we want about the big name UFA's or even the lesser named player like Preissing but I'm not sure you would want to go from Stanley Cup loser Ottowa to a team like LA. You would have to be offered more money from LA to come here and that just doesn't happen minus David Beckham. Blake chose to sign with LA because he has ties, same with Thornton, McCauley and Cloutier (Lombardi & Crawford). Wilsie probably took the highest bidder and cashed in on a year he got to play with 1 of the best players in the world. The scariest thing about last summer was that Chara chose to sign with Boston. If LA was in the bidding for his services and he picked a bad team in Boston over LA then Kings fans are in big trouble for years to come. Maybe if you have never lived in SoCal you can't really imagine the nice weather and all the options we have-especially with millions of dollars in your pocket. It has to beat out a winter in Boston.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 12:53 PM
King Blazer

I'm hoping Preissing is friendly with Petiot, Clarke and Thornton I know it's a stretch but every little bit helps...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:07 PM
wasn't me

well after the draaft i have learned not to predict what dean would do. this guy is an outside the box kind of a guy and may suprise us all or piss all of us off. i think in the end if he dosn't do anything but can prove he tried i.e. chara then i'll be ok with it.

wasn't me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:10 PM
kingsfan25

It would be irresponsible of him to do absolutely nothing. As long as he addresses a couple of areas, I'll be satisfied. At the very least, I see a top-4 D-man signing and, while I really think the forward corps would benefit from some kind of veteran presence in the top-six, if DL can't find the right deal, I don't think that going into the season with what they've got would be a total loss; though, based on his comments, I do expect DL to at least try and lock down a top-sixer.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:13 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasn't me View Post
well after the draaft i have learned not to predict what dean would do. this guy is an outside the box kind of a guy and may suprise us all or piss all of us off. i think in the end if he dosn't do anything but can prove he tried i.e. chara then i'll be ok with it.
With regards to the draft, DL wasn't trying to surprise us. He intended on trading down and taking Hickey in a more reasonable range but, at the last minute, couldn't get a deal done; the pick turned into a surprise due to an unfortunate circumstance.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Fripp

A shin-high dip into the FA pool would be nice. Fill a couple roster holes with one forward and one dman. More than that and you're taking roster spots and ice time from the kids. Thats what drove me crazy last year; a reluctance to go 100% with the kids once the season was lost. Tukkonen's 3 minutes a game for 2 games is not "development".

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 02:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Clearly, it means he needs to be fired and he is a terrible GM

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 02:48 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
It would be irresponsible of him to do absolutely nothing. As long as he addresses a couple of areas, I'll be satisfied. At the very least, I see a top-4 D-man signing and, while I really think the forward corps would benefit from some kind of veteran presence in the top-six, if DL can't find the right deal, I don't think that going into the season with what they've got would be a total loss; though, based on his comments, I do expect DL to at least try and lock down a top-sixer.

Seconded.

The Hegemony Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Lombardi keeps things close to himself, as we have all learned. Dont believe the hype your read until it happens
Lombardi has to share his thoughts with his staff and not all of that staff are going to be as concerned with keeping things in the room. Rumors aren't usually leaked directly from GM to rumormonger; they go through one of the GM's staff, then maybe through a lesser assistant and then someone who was removing the trash that day (kidding, but you get the point). Consider, also, that no matter how locked down Lombardi keeps his office, the news can always leak from the staff of the person on the other end of the phone, whether it be another GM or an agent. The point is that Lombardi can't do much to keep big things from leaking, so you shouldn't be so skeptical of rumors when you see them.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

i fully expect miller(whom i don't want resigned) and b.stuart to be signed come july 1st. as for forwards, who knows? a scoring winger for kopitar would be nice though! i'm guessing b.boyle is going to get a shot at the big club come training camp if no substantial movement is made in the free agent department.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 03:20 PM
northernKing

Unlike others I would hope LA stays away from Drury because he will command to much $$ and is a bit to old for our core. Gomez is the perfect. He is close to Fro and Cammy in age and a legit #1C. I have no problem with LA giving this guy $6-7M/yr on a 5yr deal.

On D I would like to see LA get a guy like Boynton who could replace the toughness we lost in Norstrom. Or sign Hannan. I do not want to see LA give big money to Stuart as I really think he is overrated.

The potential UFA in 2008 are Hossa, Thornton,Marleau,Kiprusoff,etc. These IMO are a lot better players to sign. Sure they may re sign with their teams, but I would prefer LA give elite money to elite players.

Bottom line is that I would not be dissapointed if LA did not sign any big name UFA, provided they atleast attempted to do so (Elias/Chara) I would rather have the youngsters get even more time and let some rookies get a legit shot at sticking.
If LA is out of the running come trade deadline then move Blake and get a kings ransom. A top prospect and a 1st rd pick or two is not out of the question.

However I would be pissed off if we signed the wrong UFA and tied up too much money for the potential elite UFA next summer.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote