HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conspiracy Theory?

Old
06-25-2007, 02:56 AM
CBGB

vCash: 500
Conspiracy Theory?

What I love about hockey and the Kings is that it brings together friends who love to talk and gripe about hockey and of course, our Los Angeles Kings.

Dean Lombardi's track record here has been anything less than stellar, with the overpayment of Rob Blake, the disasterous trade and signing of Cloutier and the less than expected returns from Willsie and McCauley and the bumbling of LaBarbera. Thornton and Ivanans seems to be his "best" signings.

One person, whom I love dearly as a friend and as a hockey fanatic called just after the Hickey selection and stated something to the effect of Al Murray is laughing his butt off.

There have been many arguments about what did or did not transpire between the Oilers, the Kings and Philadelphia, only that "one team" pulled out at the last moment.

Then there's Dean Lombardi on Rich Hammond's blog stating that he knew that Boston was going to select Hickey only to read that despite a 2nd interview they had with Hickey, they had narrowed their choices down to Gagner or Hamil.

The Blues were indeed desperate to move up and Andy Strickland emailed me the following when I had inquired as to what the Kings may have offered to move down: "They offered at least one first rounder to LA. They tried hard to get up there. I know they offered two first round picks to Phoenix, and all three to Chicago."

So did Dean take a page out of Tim Leiweke and play spin doctor? Or did he panic again as he did last year by taking Trevor Lewis 17th when he was ranked 77th?

Was Hickey really the "best player available" at the time?

Looking back on what Dean stated at the Breakfast with the GM" I found these quotes:

Q: What are we looking for in this years draft?

DEAN: It's always the best player. Like football. It's an asset. You want to maximize that draft slot. Nashville is sitting on a gold mine with all those defenseman they have. If two players are equal, I trend towards the defenseman. It's harder to find them.

Other GM's say they like skating. I think skating is very overrated. I think you can improve skating but give me the asset you can't prove.

The second thing is character.

----------

I can't say that I personally feel that Voracek and Hickey are "equal" but then again, I've never seen either of them in a game, and neither have 95% of those that reply on these threads, including my good friends.

So did Dean simply jump the gun? He obviously tried to move down, but how hard did he actually try? Was moving down 5 slots and grabbing an additional 3rd or 4th round pick worth the risk of taking the player HE wanted?

Bottom line: We have to trust in Dean the way that San Jose fans did. They were rewarded with the players who are currently winning on a regular basis and who allowed them to acquire Joe Thornton.

I still believe in Dean... but if it doesn't work out, it could ruin Kings hockey for many a fan. There's only so much patience one can have.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 03:27 AM
FuTMaR*

FuTMaR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 03:46 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The man has a plan and he's sticking to it. In the end, it will pay off. Sure, he made some rash decisions, but time was short when he was hired and he had to bridge the gap with what he had to work with and with the crop of prospects that are breaking in to the NHL. His free agent signings were temporary patches to hold positions until some of the younger players are ready to step in to regular roles.

Lombardi isn't stupid, he's been doing this for years. He did this with the Sharks when he signed the likes of Marty McSorley and Tony Granato. There wasn't a long term plan with those types of players, and the likes of Scott Thornton and Brian Willsie won't be around much longer, but they provie a valuable presence in the locker room that the younger players will learn from.

We should wait to see what transpires this July leading into training camp and see how much different the roster will be. I think we will see an improvement from last seasons team and we will see the young players continue to develop, progress and prosper into legit NHL players. As of this time, that is all I can hope for.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:22 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The man has a plan and he's sticking to it. In the end, it will pay off. Sure, he made some rash decisions, but time was short when he was hired and he had to bridge the gap with what he had to work with and with the crop of prospects that are breaking in to the NHL. His free agent signings were temporary patches to hold positions until some of the younger players are ready to step in to regular roles.
Sounds an awful lot like Dave Taylor. That's a lot of excuses not to win also. Can't wait to hear more from the flock on July 1st when the Kings sign more "character" players who are short on talent on long on "locker room development".

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:46 AM
took420s

Question...Doesn't the fact that they already had a Hickey jersey printed show that this was his guy all along? Or is that something they whip up really quick once the pick is made?

took420s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
IlyaAlexanderMalkin

It was already made...and I am curious to see if they had any other names already made up.

IlyaAlexanderMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:52 AM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaAlexanderMalkin View Post
It was already made...and I am curious to see if they had any other names already made up.
Right, maybe they have a whole sack of them with a bunch of names just in case?

took420s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
wasn't me

those are name plates that they bring, and i am sure they have one for all the players they are interested in. fact is we are building, not rebuilding. dean is very well respected through out the leauge. this guy is all hockey all the time, i read somthing were a reporter asked dean what he thought about columbus and he said "the price for Vocun (sp?) was way to high". i didn't like the pick at four, but i refuse to be a critic on something that i have no back round on. i will trust his track record on this one and see what this kid dose or dosn't do in the nhl. as far as a comspiracy theory is concerned i don't understand it. go threw everything he has done when he started in san jose and you will see it's kind of the same thing, and we all know how that turned out.

wasn't me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
What I love about hockey and the Kings is that it brings together friends who love to talk and gripe about hockey and of course, our Los Angeles Kings.

Dean Lombardi's track record here has been anything less than stellar, with the overpayment of Rob Blake, the disasterous trade and signing of Cloutier and the less than expected returns from Willsie and McCauley and the bumbling of LaBarbera. Thornton and Ivanans seems to be his "best" signings.

One person, whom I love dearly as a friend and as a hockey fanatic called just after the Hickey selection and stated something to the effect of Al Murray is laughing his butt off.

There have been many arguments about what did or did not transpire between the Oilers, the Kings and Philadelphia, only that "one team" pulled out at the last moment.

Then there's Dean Lombardi on Rich Hammond's blog stating that he knew that Boston was going to select Hickey only to read that despite a 2nd interview they had with Hickey, they had narrowed their choices down to Gagner or Hamil.

The Blues were indeed desperate to move up and Andy Strickland emailed me the following when I had inquired as to what the Kings may have offered to move down: "They offered at least one first rounder to LA. They tried hard to get up there. I know they offered two first round picks to Phoenix, and all three to Chicago."

So did Dean take a page out of Tim Leiweke and play spin doctor? Or did he panic again as he did last year by taking Trevor Lewis 17th when he was ranked 77th?

Was Hickey really the "best player available" at the time?

Looking back on what Dean stated at the Breakfast with the GM" I found these quotes:

Q: What are we looking for in this years draft?

DEAN: It's always the best player. Like football. It's an asset. You want to maximize that draft slot. Nashville is sitting on a gold mine with all those defenseman they have. If two players are equal, I trend towards the defenseman. It's harder to find them.

Other GM's say they like skating. I think skating is very overrated. I think you can improve skating but give me the asset you can't prove.

The second thing is character.

----------

I can't say that I personally feel that Voracek and Hickey are "equal" but then again, I've never seen either of them in a game, and neither have 95% of those that reply on these threads, including my good friends.

So did Dean simply jump the gun? He obviously tried to move down, but how hard did he actually try? Was moving down 5 slots and grabbing an additional 3rd or 4th round pick worth the risk of taking the player HE wanted?

Bottom line: We have to trust in Dean the way that San Jose fans did. They were rewarded with the players who are currently winning on a regular basis and who allowed them to acquire Joe Thornton.

I still believe in Dean... but if it doesn't work out, it could ruin Kings hockey for many a fan. There's only so much patience one can have.

You are obviously a very astute fan of the game so I am not sure if this was mentioned to you or written in any other thread. Pierre McGuire stated during TSN's coverage of the draft that another team had Hickey ranked in the top 5.

As you are aware this draft was wide open after the Turris/Kane picks with some team having JVR ranked 4 or lower. CLB had McDonough ranked 5th and would have grabbed him before MTL, had their #4 guy Voracek not been available.

As for what ST.L offered I think Lombardi needs to be trusted. I myself have only seen Hickey play once, but he plays a style similiar to Blum, who I have seen alot and he reminds me of a Duncan Keith/Visnovsky type.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
greatgretz

I've been patient for over 25 years, I think I can wait 5 years and see how lombardi's regime ended up. The only disturbing thing is hickey wasn't the best player available at #4.

greatgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:35 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
You are obviously a very astute fan of the game so I am not sure if this was mentioned to you or written in any other thread. Pierre McGuire stated during TSN's coverage of the draft that another team had Hickey ranked in the top 5.
I assume he was referring to Boston, but Hickey wasn't top 5 overall, but in their top 5 choices at #8 - not the same thing

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasn't me View Post
.... go threw {it's through not the past tense of throw btw} everything {Lombardi} has done when he started in san jose and you will see it's kind of the same thing, and we all know how that turned out.
How did what turn out ? Do you know ... Last I looked it's been four years since Lombardi's been a part of the Sharks organization, and to date they have as many Stanley Cups as WE do !

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 12:18 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s View Post
Right, maybe they have a whole sack of them with a bunch of names just in case?

All teams do... you think the Rangers had ANY idea Cherepanov would be available at #17 (well, he wouldn't have been if... LOL) ... yet, there they were with his name on the back of a Rangers jersey...

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
All teams do... you think the Rangers had ANY idea Cherepanov would be available at #17 (well, he wouldn't have been if... LOL) ... yet, there they were with his name on the back of a Rangers jersey...
Is there a LOL for 12 teams (Edmonton twice), or just for one?

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 12:24 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
Is there a LOL for 12 teams (Edmonton twice), or just for one?
unfortunately, most of the hockey world is laughing at just one team after Friday...

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 12:29 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
unfortunately, most of the hockey world is laughing at just one team after Friday...
You saying you won't be excited for Hickey Night at Staples?

Old
06-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Link?

And I want documentable evidence of more than 50% of the hockey world (however you define it) laughing at the Kings, just as PSP is demanding documentable evidence of other teams' rumored interest in Hickey.

Old
06-26-2007, 12:38 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Link?

And I want documentable evidence of more than 50% of the hockey world (however you define it) laughing at the Kings, just as PSP is demanding documentable evidence of other teams' rumored interest in Hickey.
I was laughing.

Old
06-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Link?

I not only have proof that more than 50% were laughing, but I also have top secret documents that reveal the Kings suck.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 12:51 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Link?

Demanding? No...

More like "politely requesting"

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 12:51 AM
tomd

Quote:
Link?

I don't have time to give you what you have asked for but I have gone through all of the major hockey services and publications (including TSN, ESPN, Redline, THN, and many more) and have provided links below for anyone who thought that (a) the Kings made a great pick at #4 or (b) the kings maximized the value of the #4 pick. Here they are:

Old
06-26-2007, 12:52 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Lombardi is Dave Taylor with a massive ego.

Old
06-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Goallum

Quote:
I don't have time to give you what you have asked for but I have gone through all of the major hockey services and publications (including TSN, ESPN, Redline, THN, and many more) and have provided links below for anyone who thought that (a) the Kings made a great pick at #4 or (b) the kings maximized the value of the #4 pick. Here they are:

An array of links sufficient reasonably to infer the alleged laughter would still be appreciated. While you're at it, I would be curious if you could uncover for me one single negative written statement about Hickey that mentions as a negative anything other than his height.

Old
06-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Lombardi is Dave Taylor with a massive ego.
... and self-doubt and selflessness are really valued traits for an NHL general manager! Just look at the Stanley Cup winner Brian Burke - he just oozes humility!!!

Last edited by Goallum: 06-26-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old
06-26-2007, 01:11 AM
tomd

Quote:
An array of links sufficient reasonably to infer the alleged laughter would still be appreciated. While you're at it, I would be curious if you could uncover for me one single negative written statement about Hickey that mentions as a negative anything other than his height.
you are missing the point...I'm sure Hickey is a fine hockey player and will play in the NHL some day (well, I hope so anyway). Actually, I hope he wins the Calder as a 19 year-old and becomes a perennial Norris trophy winner. That would be great. so no, other than his height there is nothing really bad to say about him EXCEPT THAT most "experts" seem to think that Shattenkirk or McDonough or even Blum have a good as chance or better to be as good or better than Hickey. Forgive me for tending to believe the opinion of the majority of the hockey world over what appears to be the minority opinion that the kings staff shares. I actually envy you for having such faith in the pick.