HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: Book Review - Messier

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 02:52 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
OT: Book Review - Messier

Interesting read. Not perfect but a good effort. nice focus on some of the early oilers days.

doesnt pull punches but doesn't seek to blast messier either, simply told the story of a typical person. his triumphs and his mistakes.

a few factual errors here and there but worth reading. certainly better then the Messier book of a few years back.

overall an enjoyable read, even if tends to make Edmonton and Vancouver fans seems like out for blood, skeptical fans and ranger fans seem indifferent.

that was perhaps my biggest problem, he didn't seem to know the cities very well and his views were interesting considering i spent time in both edmonton and ny growing up and don't remember either set of fans being the stereotypes he made them out to be.

i'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Old
12-29-2003, 02:54 AM
Oilers Hockey

Sounds like a cool book! I got a book called "Players" which is like a huge encyclopedia of every player whos ever played in the NHL. It's a wealth of information! If you have time you should go check it out someday.

btw what kind of stereotypes did Moose give fans?

Old
12-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Edge

mess himself didnt give stereotypes, it was the author.

basically it made edmonton and vancouver fans sound like they have no lives and get angry easily while making ny'ers seem like they dont know anything about hockey and never support there team.

it was a good book, but there were some areas of his research you can see were sloppy.

Closed Thread