HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Labs

Old
06-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Eighty-sixed

vCash: 500
Labs

All this talk of getting a new goaltender, but honestly what is wrong with LaBarbera? He posted a .933 average in a league notorious for scoring, earned 39 wins in just 62 games, and was an MVP candidate. Wouldn't most teams be excited about seeing this guy take the next step?

Seriously, is there a flaw in his game that I just don't see, or are Kings fans just used to expecting the worst out of goaltenders?

If so, then OMG WE ARE DOOMED!

Eighty-sixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty-sixed View Post
All this talk of getting a new goaltender, but honestly what is wrong with LaBarbera? He posted a .933 average in a league notorious for scoring, earned 39 wins in just 62 games, and was an MVP candidate. Wouldn't most teams be excited about seeing this guy take the next step?

Seriously, is there a flaw in his game that I just don't see, or are Kings fans just used to expecting the worst out of goaltenders?

1. The AHL is not the NHL.
2. He was not that great in the playoffs. I'm not sure about the extent of his injury(length, nagging etc.) but he simply was not good.
3. The Monarchs are a good team in relation to the rest of the AHL. The Kings are like the Bad News Bears of hockey in the NHL>

06-26-2007, 06:54 AM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
2. He was not that great in the playoffs. I'm not sure about the extent of his injury(length, nagging etc.) but he simply was not good.
He injured his right knee during the playoffs vs. worcester. His recovery was slow, and I suspect he was hurt worse than anyone let on. With the summer to rest & rehab, he should be just fine.

He got off to a good start a couple years ago, before his personal issues surfaced. I'd rather see Barbs than Cloutier in net for the Kings...

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz View Post
He injured his right knee during the playoffs vs. worcester. His recovery was slow, and I suspect he was hurt worse than anyone let on. With the summer to rest & rehab, he should be just fine.

He got off to a good start a couple years ago, before his personal issues surfaced. I'd rather see Barbs than Cloutier in net for the Kings...
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. How bad was it, and how long was it a serious problem.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. How bad was it, and how long was it a serious problem.
given the team's propensity to keep specific details on injuries to a minimum, nobody in manchester has any clue how badly barbs was really hurt. it became obvious in his diminished ability to move laterally.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 02:08 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:

I agree; I'm not totally writing off the possibility that Labarbera could come in and do a good job. As mentioned, he started off well the season before last before his personal issues seemed to sidetrack him.

And, if you recall, when the Kings did sign him two summers ago, DT was allegedly in a bidding war for his services with several other interested teams. The guy has certainly proven more than once that he can get it done at the AHL level and, I'm hoping that, given the right circumstances this coming season, he might be able to prove something at the NHL level, as well. He may not be a superstar, but I think it's possible that, if the rest of the roster is shored up and performs effectively and the goaltending rotation is handled responsibly, he could prove to be a decent option.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 02:46 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Statistically speaking:

Top 5 AHL goalies in 2005-06
1. Dany Sabourin
2. Wade Flaherty
3. Brent Krahn
4. Mike Smith
5. Curtis McElhinney

Top 5 AHL goalies in 2006-07
1. Jaroslav Halak
2. Curtis McElhinney
3. Drew McIntyre
4. Jason LaBarbera
5. Al Montoya

I'm not seeing the promise of a #1 goaltender on a playoff contending club here. You could go through decades of AHL goaltending and increase the list ad infinitum.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 03:22 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoSoupy View Post
Statistically speaking:

4. Mike Smith

1. Jaroslav Halak

4. Jason LaBarbera
5. Al Montoya

I'm not seeing the promise of a #1 goaltender on a playoff contending club here. You could go through decades of AHL goaltending and increase the list ad infinitum.
Looks pretty good to me.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 03:33 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
Looks pretty good to me.

none have proven much of anything, (Smith has proven he can capably back up Turco) and Halak has fallen even further on the Habs depth chart with the emergence of Carey Price.

Old
06-26-2007, 03:47 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
none have proven much of anything, (Smith has proven he can capably back up Turco) and Halak has fallen even further on the Habs depth chart with the emergence of Carey Price.
What I'm trying to say is that it's not going to hurt to go with a guy like Labs for the team that we have right now. He may prove to be beneficial but I don't think we are in the running for a good playoff performance. If he does good, then great. If not we will be looking for a fill in anyways next year.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 04:20 PM
royals119

Quote:
Statistically speaking:

1. Dany Sabourin
2. Wade Flaherty
3. Brent Krahn
4. Mike Smith
5. Curtis McElhinney

1. Jaroslav Halak
2. Curtis McElhinney
3. Drew McIntyre
4. Jason LaBarbera
5. Al Montoya

How about this guy?

1992-93 Rochester Americans AHL 49 0 3 6 2737 168 3 0 3.68 25 16 4 1252 0.882 17 0 1 8
That is Olaf Kolzig's stat line for his one full season in the AHL - he also spent some time in the ECHL and spent a couple years bouncing back and forth between the A and N, but eventually became a 10 year starter in the NHL and won a Vezina Trophy. Granted the Caps haven't contended for the Stanley cup every year, but I don't think you can lay that all on Kolzig - and they have been to the playoff with him 5 of those ten years.

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty-sixed
Wouldn't most teams be excited about seeing this guy take the next step?
The thing is that he's not taking the "next" step; he's bypassing the next step and is being penciled in as an NHL starter. Yes, he was an NHL backup for one season, but he was great in half of the games and abysmal in the other half. That's, generally, not the kind of performance that says "yes, you've proven enough to graduate to starter."

People are excited for him, but it's customary and wise to let goaltenders take the next step alongside a reliable NHL goaltender (either behind one or with one as a backup). As of right now, though, the Kings don't have one of those, and that is what's scary.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 05:10 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
What I'm trying to say is that it's not going to hurt to go with a guy like Labs for the team that we have right now. He may prove to be beneficial but I don't think we are in the running for a good playoff performance. If he does good, then great. If not we will be looking for a fill in anyways next year.
I don't necessarily disagree with you at all, though I would personally rather have a LaBarbera - Toivonen tandem than Cloutier... because I could see Toivonen taking the reigns at some point. LaBarbera just seems like his upside is 1B at best.

Old
06-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Eighty-sixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
The thing is that he's not taking the "next" step; he's bypassing the next step and is being penciled in as an NHL starter. Yes, he was an NHL backup for one season, but he was great in half of the games and abysmal in the other half. That's, generally, not the kind of performance that says "yes, you've proven enough to graduate to starter."

People are excited for him, but it's customary and wise to let goaltenders take the next step alongside a reliable NHL goaltender (either behind one or with one as a backup). As of right now, though, the Kings don't have one of those, and that is what's scary.
A good point Osprey, but I'm doubting that the available class of netminders like Auld and the streaky Fernandez could be considered an upgrade. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure other people have another opinion.

Old
06-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Fielddog

Don't forget that before JLB had all of his personal problems, he started
the Season with the Kings and in 8 games he had a 1.88GAA and 9.33 sv%.

Fielddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielddog View Post
Don't forget that before JLB had all of his personal problems, he started
the Season with the Kings and in 8 games he had a 1.88GAA and 9.33 sv%.
Yes, but he followed that up with a 3.40 GAA and .869 SV% over the rest of the season.

Old
06-26-2007, 07:05 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
A good point Osprey, but I'm doubting that the available class of netminders like Auld and the streaky Fernandez could be considered an upgrade. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure other people have another opinion.
regarding Auld... probably not wrong, though I believe he still has an upside.

Fernandez, however, well... take away the fact that the Wild are a VERY WELL COACHED defensive team, and you are still left with a goaltender that made critical saves far more often than not, and led the Wild to relieve themselves of Roloson just one season before. I'm sold on Fernandez being a better goaltender (read: upgrade) by a MILE, but it's hard to say that the Kings have a system down that would give him the chance to prove it.

Old
06-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

It is tough to judge by AHL stats. I have no doubt that Garon would have put equally as good stats, if not better had he been the one sent down instead of Labs. In fact, I wonder if Garon had been sent down instead of Labarbera, would we all be talking about Garon stepping in as the starter next year? Most people would say no, but what as Labarbera done that Garon has not? In fact let's look at those two netminders stats at the same age, 26.

Garon - Team - League - GP - W - L - T - GAA - SVP - SO
2004-05 - Manchester Monarchs - AHL - 52 - 32 - 14 - 4 - 2.12 - .927 - 8

Labarbera
2006-07 - Manchester Monarchs - AHL - 62 - 39 - 20 - 1 - 2.20 - .933 - 7

And remember Garon was playing in the AHL during the lockout so many NHLers were there with him.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Eighty-sixed

Garon's stats are actually pretty decent. 2.66 GAA...especially on the Kings...isn't anything to complain about. His problem is inconsistency, much like Auld and Fernandez. I wouldn't mind re-signing Garon. He'd be cheaper than the rest of the candidates most likely.

Old
06-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Yes, but he followed that up with a 3.40 GAA and .869 SV% over the rest of the season.
Yes....but didn't he just have the tragedy of dealing with his girlfriends cancer? I could see how that could have a major affect on his play.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Which was mostly during his personal problems. I think the other poster pointed that out.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:34 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I could see how that could have a major affect on his play.
I could see how it could have a major EFFECT on his game

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:53 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz View Post
I'd rather see Barbs than Cloutier in net for the Kings...
I'll go even further...I'd rather see FUKUFUJI than Cloutier in nets...of course with JLB as the #1...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Yes....but didn't he just have the tragedy of dealing with his girlfriends cancer? I could see how that could have a major affect on his play.
Of course, but are you convinced enough that that was the only reason to cease all attempts at acquiring a goalie and, instead, just hand the starter job to LaBarbera, especially when he's had only 8 good NHL games?

Old
06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
are Kings fans just used to expecting the worst out of goaltenders?
The sun comes up, the sun goes down, you learn to trust it.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote