HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec to Montreal!

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2003, 09:40 AM
The n00b King ©*

vCash: 500
Plekanec to Montreal!

hey guys, just letting u know that plek will be playing with the habs now, since audette has been sent back to the minors! sweet!

Old
12-31-2003, 09:43 AM
Habsolument

it's on rds. Hope he plays tonight

Old
12-31-2003, 09:46 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Yeah I just read that....this is sweet!!!! I wonder when he will make his debut?

Old
12-31-2003, 09:47 AM
Le Petit Viking

Any words about the Lines

Perreault with Ryder and Bulis
Plekanec with Langdon and Kilger

Hope he will see some PP time

Old
12-31-2003, 09:48 AM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Our new vague of playing is slowly starting to show up

Ryder - Komisarek - Dagenais - Plekanec...... soon to be Balej

Old
12-31-2003, 09:54 AM
merlin

plekanec is a center isn't he? brought up since gratton is injured and audette's trip to the minors leaves an open spot on the roster. Wonder which one of them will be sent back once gratton comes back? plekanec has a golden opportunity to shine, interesting to see if he gets decent playing time and who his linemates will be.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Duff88

YEAH THAT MAKES MY DAY!!!

It's about time! I was waiting for this for a long time now... What jersey # will he wear? Will they let him wear #14 or stay at #35?

Hopefully he get a lots of ice time!

Bulis-Plekanec-Ryder would be great!

Old
12-31-2003, 10:01 AM
jcpenny

We dont need gratton and he may go back in the AHL when healthy.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:02 AM
NHLcrazy

I thought Balej would be called up before Plekanec since Audette was a RW like Balej....Anyways i hope they use him a little and don't let him stay in pressbox for the next 2 weeks....

Old
12-31-2003, 10:02 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
If he plays on the 4th line, GAH

I think that it can hurt his confidence more then help. I don't know much about a guy, but to play on a defensive line when you're a scorer, it can't be good for you to do that. I am glad he is up, but lets hope that he can play on the 1st line, but does he really deserve it? Do we really have a first line or just lines with players that play well together? Well anyways, hope he does good, then we can have a look into the future.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:03 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Let's hope he can play well and end up our 3rd line center.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:04 AM
arsobro

I thought that Higgins goes with the big club

Hope that Balej is the next!!!

Old
12-31-2003, 10:06 AM
e-e

did you know guys that plekanec comes from the same little town (kladno) like jagr? it looks and smells like hamilton....nothing else but steel plant

Old
12-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Les Zarbites

I can't understand how some people are getting excited about this. It means that Saku is out for tonight. Beside there's about 0,01 % chance that he plays wether it's tonight or on saturday.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:12 AM
Le Petit Viking

I can't recall if this is the first Concussion of Saku ?

Old
12-31-2003, 10:15 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Petit Viking
I can't recall if this is the first Concussion of Saku ?
I believe it's his first.

Oh, it's just been confirmed on Rds. He won't be playing tonight.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:27 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
I can't understand how some people are getting excited about this. It means that Saku is out for tonight. Beside there's about 0,01 % chance that he plays wether it's tonight or on saturday.
I'm happy Plekanec is being called up. He could probably have a chance to show what he can do in a 4th line role, maybe one time before he's sent back (it's not like Kilger has acquired any kind of playing priority here after all). And that would make something interesting for Habs fans to look at while trying to deny the fact that Perreault will play in a 1st line role (I swear I get goosebumps every time I have this thought).

But I would also agree that this recall doesn't mean he's arrived, far from that point. As soon as Koivu and Gratton are back in the lineup, you can be sure Plekanec will be sent down. This is a preventive call up where at best he'll play a game or two on the 4th line and at worse he won't see a single minute in the NHL.

The only scenario where I see him stay here is if Kilger stinks as the 4th line center tonight, then Plekanec plays 4th line duty the next game, then Perreault gets injured and Koivu's not ready to come back, then he scores 3 goals and bumps Ribeiro in the depth chart with spectacular play on a nightly basis leaving no choice but to keep him as the 2nd line center, then Ribeiro's traded, then hell freezes over... You get the point.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:48 AM
RE-HABS

Good to see Plekanec get the call up! People here on the board say we aren't playing the kids, well look at all of the kids who have played or have been called up this year:
Ryder
Ward
Higgins
Hainsey
Komisarek
Gratton (not a kid anymore, but got a chance)
Dagenais
and now Plekanec

Not all have played at the same time or all the games but they are getting looks and we were are getting a good look into who will be on this team next year.

Next call ups before the year is over...Hainsey, Higgins, Balej and possibly Perezoghtin and Beauchemin.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:51 AM
Patty Roy

Good to hear they called up Plekanec, but i wonder where he's going to play? My guess is probably on the 4th line to start, and could be moved up if he plays well and if Perreault doesn't get the job done. The first time i saw Pleks play about a year and a half ago i thought he looked like a future NHLer...it will be very interesting to see how he measures up at this stage.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:54 AM
penopekoo

I wonder if he made the trip to Dallas or if they're going to wait until the Atlanta game to bring him over...

Old
12-31-2003, 10:59 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

As many of you expressed, I'd rather see Plekanec get some quality ice time with the Bulldogs then having him playing in the NHL in a grinder role. He's not suited for being a 4th line player. He's got good hands, great offensive instincts and has all the attributes to be an offensive threat at any level. Good decision by Gainey, as long as he can get decent ice time. Playing in the NHL is one thing, but playing the guy with Langdon and Kilger is just no use.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Corey

I like Plekanec but I think he's being held in reserve because of injuries to three centers (Koivu, Bégin, and Gratton) and Juneau's tricky back. I hope he plays. He doesn't have as many points as Balej but he has shown he can score and he seems to be an all-around player.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:14 AM
habsfansam

this is probably the same thing we saw earlier with hainsey, komi, hossa, gratton, etc... just a call-up to see how the guy has developed, get him some icetime with the team and coach. His production has dropped off a little bit, so maybe this is just a way of getting his attention, reminding him what he must shoot for when he plays in the minors. i.e. don't get too caught up in having a 21yr old (20??) up for a few games. He probably won't see more than 5-10minutes per game he's up, and he probably won't see PP time unless he shows real flashes of brilliance in his limited icetime.

Balej will stay in the minors all year... it's a matter of instilling confidence in his ability to take over a game, and lead.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
As many of you expressed, I'd rather see Plekanec get some quality ice time with the Bulldogs then having him playing in the NHL in a grinder role. He's not suited for being a 4th line player. He's got good hands, great offensive instincts and has all the attributes to be an offensive threat at any level. Good decision by Gainey, as long as he can get decent ice time. Playing in the NHL is one thing, but playing the guy with Langdon and Kilger is just no use.
I somewhat agree that Plekanec is not suited for a 4th line role, but we have to be careful with the "I'd rather see him get get top line minutes in the AHL" cliche (as it's starting to become one). Very few rookies, no matter how offensive their games are, will make the jump from the AHL directly on a scoring line in the NHL. In fact, most rookies will end up seeing 3rd and 4th line duty while having the odd game here and there on a scoring line and a bit of PP time if he does well.

That does not mean his confidence will get crushed nor that his developement will suffer. Chistov played his whole 1st year on a checking line. Does that mean they're trying to ruin his offensive game? Hell no. But responsabilities are not as great on the bottom lines and it's a good place for a rookie to round up his game while adjusting to the NHL pace.

If every time a rookie's called up we say I'd rather see him see top line ice time in the AHL than 4th line ice time in the NHL, truth is those guys won't ever make the jump. They need a transition period. Yes Ryder plays on a top line right now, but this is because he was just flat out dominant and also because we don't have real top-6 talent in Montreal aside from Koivu and Zednik (and somewhat Ribeiro).

The rookies will start by seeing 4th line ice time. They'll adjust to the pace, then if everything goes well, they might eventually move up to a 3rd line, and have the possibility to bump someone off a scoring line a few months or years down the road. But please, let's not assume they NEED to see top line ice time no matter where they play. If they are to make the jump, we have to accept they'll start at the bottom and climb their way up.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Les Zarbites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
The only scenario where I see him stay here is if Kilger stinks as the 4th line center tonight, then Plekanec plays 4th line duty the next game, then Perreault gets injured and Koivu's not ready to come back, then he scores 3 goals and bumps Ribeiro in the depth chart with spectacular play on a nightly basis leaving no choice but to keep him as the 2nd line center, then Ribeiro's traded, then hell freezes over... You get the point.
That's exactly why I'm not excited about TP getting called up. I really doubt he's gonna get his chance.

So how is that exciting to see him called up when it's likely he won't play anyway. Especially when you think the only reason why he's getting called up is because Saku will be missing for at least a week. I'm depressed ....

Closed Thread