HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This year's UFAs

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 08:24 AM
Malakhov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
This year's UFAs

Looking at the list of the UFAs this year, who interests you?

For me there's Travis Green, Mike Knubble, Glen Murray, Brian Rolston and especially Chris Therrien, I think he's the kind of defenseman that would be good to have around for the young ones.

Old
12-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov

For me there's Travis Green, Mike Knubble, Glen Murray, Brian Rolston and especially Chris Therrien, I think he's the kind of defenseman that would be good to have around for the young ones.
Like the B's, do you?

Murray would obviously be a good aquisition, and Rolston would be nice to have, but I wouldn't be too keen on the others. Knuble hasn't done anything besides feed off of Thornton, Green got waived earlier this year, Therrien is big but not particularily physical or offensive. Rolston wouldn't be bad to have, he'd be a good addition to the 2nd line and would be good for 20-25 goals.

I'd much rather see BG go after a big ticket UFA instead of these guys and fill the holes with the younger guys.

Old
12-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Like the B's, do you?

Murray would obviously be a good aquisition, and Rolston would be nice to have, but I wouldn't be too keen on the others. Knuble hasn't done anything besides feed off of Thornton, Green got waived earlier this year, Therrien is big but not particularily physical or offensive. Rolston wouldn't be bad to have, he'd be a good addition to the 2nd line and would be good for 20-25 goals.

I'd much rather see BG go after a big ticket UFA instead of these guys and fill the holes with the younger guys.
And who is that big ticket UFA? I don't really see any big names in the UFA list, just guys like Murray and Rolston that are a good addition to any team. They'd be good to surround the kids from hamilton with.

Old
12-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Malakhov

Oh and as far as Knuble is concerned, I thought he'd be a great addition to the habs. A big 6'3, 226 pounds right winger, kind of what I see the Habs needing...

I'm still pissed the Habs didn't jump on Green when he was waived this year.

Old
12-29-2003, 09:13 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Like the B's, do you?

besides knuble murray leeches off thornton too. he's big but is very non-physical also very slack assed player nobody from the ufa looks good right now.

Old
12-29-2003, 09:15 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
besides knuble murray leeches off thornton too. he's big but is very non-physical also very slack assed player nobody from the ufa looks good right now.

Murray is one of the most underrated sharpshooter in the league. Leeching? He'd leech of anyone who can put the puck on his stick so he can shoot it right in the net.

Old
12-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Traitor8

Following players interest me :

Mark Reechi
Keith Primeau
Alexei Kovalev-> Playing with Koivu would be amazing
Darren Langdon->We need to resign him
Zigmund Palffy
Niklas Lidstrom->Surprised if Detroit doesn't get him back
Paul Kariya
Glen Murray

Old
12-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Traitor8

Also add

Barnaby to that list

I really like him unlike lots of posters. I think he is a player you hate to play against. Bam Bam Barnaby would look great. Imagine the habs dump the puck in the zone and Begin,Bam Bam and Ward are skating intensly to go get it....

That would be great. he also knows how to play hockey and could take some load off Langdon in case of injury or anything...

Bam Bam would kill you if your touching Theodore

Old
12-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Following players interest me :

Mark Reechi
Keith Primeau
Alexei Kovalev-> Playing with Koivu would be amazing
Darren Langdon->We need to resign him
Zigmund Palffy
Niklas Lidstrom->Surprised if Detroit doesn't get him back
Paul Kariya
Glen Murray
No Krusty? Do you think Alffy will resign? He'd ask for a pretty nice raise.

Palffy and Kovalev are the ones I want more on that list. I'm not sure Murray would have the same kind of success, especially after the poor showings he's been having this season.

Old
12-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
No Krusty? Do you think Alffy will resign? He'd ask for a pretty nice raise.

Palffy and Kovalev are the ones I want more on that list. I'm not sure Murray would have the same kind of success, especially after the poor showings he's been having this season.
Your right, in order, I would take:

Nicklas Lidstrom
Alexei Kovalev
Zigmund Palffy
Paul Kariya

What do you think of Barnaby?

He is a good player that gives you lots of different options and he is also sound defensively. This season, he is on pace for 36 pts and a + 24.

As for money issues, we have it right now, I mentionned in another post that we would have about 8 M to spend and that's without counting on Dwyer,Blouin and Audette's contracts.Also, the market this year and next year isn't the same as before and maybe you can tell a guy like Kovalev or Palffy..

"Look, we are building a championship team around you"

6.0-6.5 Should do it for Palffy and
7.0-8 should do it for Kovalev

In the future.. Kovalev,Koivu,Kostsitsyn,Hainsey,Souray on the PP..Wow!

Old
12-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
One name: Keith Carney.

There's nothing I would like more than have Komisarek paired with one of the best and most dedicated leaders in the league. I'm amazed with the amount of pain and punishement this guy is willing to take (blocking shots, taking checks) to make sure the puck doesn't pass his goal line. One of the biggest team player in the league and to have this guy be Komisarek's teacher and mentor for a year or two would be the best thing that could happen to him.

Of course, two major factors will be problematic if Gainey chooses to go down that way.

1- We'll have to play either Markov or Hainsey on the right side. Of course, if Hainsey doesn't make the team (which I doubt), there's no problem. And Hainsey did pretty well on the right side so this might be the solution. There's also the possibility to trade either one of them to get some help up front.

2- I doubt Carney will accept to leave the West conference and at the same time the warm California weather to come in Montreal freeze his butt and possibly take the abuse from our crappy media.

If it happened though, I would see these pairings:

Souray - Hainsey
Carney - Komisarek
Markov - Brisebois/Rivet

Last edited by Munchausen: 12-29-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Old
12-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I'm not sure Murray would have the same kind of success, especially after the poor showings he's been having this season.
Poor showings?

2003-2004 Bruins 36 games played 12 goals 16 assists 28 points total

For a poor showing that would still be awesome for a team like the Habs...

Old
12-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Traitor8

it's a poor showing when you are on the 1st line and play with one of the best centers in the league Joe Thornton

Old
12-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
You will kill Hainsey's developement playing him on the right side.

We don't need Carney, we have Souray, a player which Komisarek can learn off ..

Souray-Komisarek
Markov-Rivet
Hainsey-Brisebois

I would consider replacing Rivet with a better right handed defenseman but we have to get rid of him first because there is no way we can keep 3 M as the #7 defensemna

Old
12-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
it's a poor showing when you are on the 1st line and play with one of the best centers in the league Joe Thornton
But it's not Murray having a poor showing, it's actually Thornton.

Old
12-29-2003, 10:07 AM
#44_delivers

lidstrom would be freek'n awsome to get but he's untouchable.
barnaby would be sweet to get i agree he'd look after the little guys and theo better then anybody.
murray boston can keep him. his slack style would not work out well in montreal. and he's not underrated. hes over rated.
alex kovalev would cost too high id rather get two real good players for his price, or three good players
but i never knew those guyz are ufa's?:lidstrom barnaby alex kovalev

Old
12-29-2003, 10:09 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
watch sum boston games murray is brutal, ask b fans in there forums.
ive seen him in a fair margin of games hed be lynched in montreal, sooo lazy its not even funny, and he's freek'n 6,3 but plays like 5,5 no physicality to his game just stands around looking for the feed

Old
12-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
watch sum boston games murray is brutal, ask b fans in there forums.
ive seen him in a fair margin of games hed be lynched in montreal, sooo lazy its not even funny, and he's freek'n 6,3 but plays like 5,5.
I've seen plenty of Bs games this year on Center Ice and Thornthon isn't playing at all, just cruising along.

Old
12-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Maithz

vCash:
I think we can make an offer to Rolston and say Bye Bye to Juneau
Kovalev also interest me .

Kovalev - Koivu - Ryder

Zednik - Ribeiro - Balej

Bulis - Rolston - Perezhogin

Plekanec - Higgins - Ward

An Habs Fan can dream

Old
12-29-2003, 10:18 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65

Kovalev - Koivu - Ryder

Zednik - Ribeiro - Balej

An Habs Fan can dream
that would be great, rolston would be a great pick-up. kovalev's around 8 mill though, out of our league for one player tag.
i feel boston will trade rolston and or murray before the deadline so the can get sumpin for them instead of loosing them to free agency, both if they dont make the playoffs

Old
12-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Habber

Quote:
That's exactly the problem with Murray, he's a great player...with Thornton. When Thornton is bad, he's invisible. He's not the type of player that is going to create offence.

Old
12-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
That's exactly the problem with Murray, he's a great player...with Thornton. When Thornton is bad, he's invisible. He's not the type of player that is going to create offence.
Even if Thornton is bad this year, he's still having some decent numbers, as I've posted above so I don't buy this.

Plus he's a shooter, like I said, put the puck on his stick and he'll score, if you can't do it, he won't. That's what a shooter is.

Old
12-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65

Kovalev - Koivu - Ryder

Zednik - Ribeiro - Balej

An Habs Fan can dream
Rolston is more talented offensively than every Hab not named Saku Koivu. I'd put him on line two and give Begin line three. Ribs? See ya...if we got Rolston, his services would not be needed. Rolston is ten times the player Ribs will ever be.

Old
12-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Corey

Quote:
Thornton also is making a poor showing. How many goals does he have this season? At the rate he's going Thornton might not reach 30.

I like some of the names mentioned, although of course most of them will re-sign with their teams. The trouble with signing UFAs from another team is that most seem to demand long term contracts. We don't want another Audette situation. Besides, a number of those players wouldn't want to play in Montréal if they had a choice to go elsewhere.

Old
12-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen

There's nothing I would like more than have Komisarek paired with one of the best and most dedicated leaders in the league. I'm amazed with the amount of pain and punishement this guy is willing to take (blocking shots, taking checks) to make sure the puck doesn't pass his goal line. One of the biggest team player in the league and to have this guy be Komisarek's teacher and mentor for a year or two would be the best thing that could happen to him.

Of course, two major factors will be problematic if Gainey chooses to go down that way.

1- We'll have to play either Markov or Hainsey on the right side. Of course, if Hainsey doesn't make the team (which I doubt), there's no problem. And Hainsey did pretty well on the right side so this might be the solution. There's also the possibility to trade either one of them to get some help up front.

2- I doubt Carney will accept to leave the West conference and at the same time the warm California weather to come in Montreal freeze his butt and possibly take the abuse from our crappy media.

If it happened though, I would see these pairings:

Souray - Hainsey
Carney - Komisarek
Markov - Brisebois/Rivet

I forgot about him, this is an amazing idea and I support it 100%. Keith Carney would be exactly the type of player I would love here in Montreal. Everytime I watch Anaheim I can't believe the kind of commitment he puts every game blocking shots, taking hits and dishing out hits(doh, thats exactly what you said ). Carney would help immensely for leadership too.

So basically, we have no 3rd line center---» Rolston
We need a help on D(leadership, Size, Grit)-» Carney
We need a legit 1st liner-------------------» Palffy, Alffy, Selanne(decline though), Murray, your choice.

thats three players to replace the many we will lose. There are still going to be spots for the yougnsters, but you need to surround them and those three players we need will probably be very expensive so its pretty much impossible we'll be able to get them.

Closed Thread