HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robyn Regehr wants to come East.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Robyn Regehr wants to come East.

Do we want him and do we move players for him?

He's a team-first guy and I'd imagine he'd sign an extension pretty easily. It's a mild risk, but he's one of the last guys I think we'd have to worry about walking away at the end of the year (especially if the rumors are true and he wants to play on an Eastern team).

He's the type of guy we need and we have an absolute PLETHORA of prospects that we can use as chips for him.

He's one of the few guys I'd consider moving some decent guys for. He's only 26 (27 in April) and a premier stay at home d-man.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

he wouldnt be cheap.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:08 PM
TomLaidlaw

He is a legit top tier defenseman. I'd love to add him as long as he agrees to an extension. The reason being, it's gonna take a nice package to get him. I don't mind giving it up but not if he is just a 1 year rental.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
he wouldnt be cheap.
No one is saying he would be.

But we have the prospects and young players to part with for him. We have a huge, huge stockpile of youth. We will have to move some of them eventually.

When there is an opportunity to trade some guys for an ELITE defensive defenseman who is only 26 years of age (born in just 1q

Old
06-26-2007, 10:13 PM
wereback

would you want him if it required Prucha, Sauer, and Bourett?

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
he wouldnt be cheap.
No one is saying he would be.

But we have the prospects and young players to part with for him. We have a huge, huge stockpile of youth. We will have to move some of them eventually.

When there is an opportunity to trade some guys for an ELITE defensive defenseman who is only 26 years of age (born in just 1980), I think that it's a move that a team has to make. Especially one in our position where our management clearly feels that we can compete now.

This isn't trading youth for Rob Blake or Adam Foote. This is Robyn Regehr. A 26 year old defensive defenseman making under 2M this year. A top pairing guy who would look amazing in Rangers blue.

Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
Most definitely.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:14 PM
wereback

WOW...really?

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:14 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
No thanks.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I think they'd want Tyutin & Prucha if he signs an extension or maybe Tyutin + Dubinsky or Ansimov -- depending on youth vs the "now" return

Personally I'd like to keep Prucha and Tyutin, but it's really a serious upgrade on the backend.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
No thanks.
I know, I know. We don't want to trade any of the kids. Any person who has played over 5 seasons is too old for us.

This guy is 26 years old.

Sauer will, IMHO, never be at the level that Regehr is. Sauer will round out into a nice 2nd pairing defenseman.

Prucha is a 2nd/3rd liner that we can replace from within. Yes, he's a fan favorite and we all love the guy, but he's replaceable.

Bourret is the real big deal here. He's the guy that I'd rather NOT move, but if in a package for Regehr -- well, I'd put him in very begrudgingly if they DEMANDED him. I'd much rather replace him with another prospect like Dawes, but I doubt very much that they'd accept anything of the sort.

Again. We can win the Cup within a few years. Why not get a guy who could be one of the final pieces now while he's only 26 and lock him up long-term?

Old
06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I think they'd want Tyutin & Prucha if he signs an extension or maybe Tyutin + Dubinsky or Ansimov -- depending on youth vs the "now" return

Personally I'd like to keep Prucha and Tyutin, but it's really a serious upgrade on the backend.
Same here. I love the young guys. Prucha and Tyutin are two of my favorite players, but I'd move them for a guy like Regehr.

He simply adds another entire dimension to the team. We don't have a single defenseman nearly as good as him on the roster currently.

Staal might be at his level in 5 years or so, but we can win this now and we should. Win now AND later.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
broadwayblue

But why would you want to give up all that for a guy with one year left on his contract? Why not keep our assets and get him next year as a UFA if you think he's what we need?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But why would you want to give up all that for a guy with one year left on his contract? Why not keep our assets and get him next year as a UFA if you think he's what we need?
He will never reach UFA. I don't see him as they guy to turn down a decent enough contract from a team who trades for him and then go UFA after. I just don't see it with him.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:30 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
He will never reach UFA. I don't see him as they guy to turn down a decent enough contract from a team who trades for him and then go UFA after. I just don't see it with him.

I gotta disagree with you there Jon. I think he feels he got shafted by his last contract with the Flames and that he has been vastly underpaid the past few seasons. Obviously it's his own fault and his agents for signing the contract but i think he is gonna wanna test the market to get market value. For that reason I think it would take a very "sizeable" extension for him to pass on being a UFA.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:31 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I gotta disagree with you there Jon. I think he feels he got shafted by his last contract with the Flames and that he has been vastly underpaid the past few seasons. Obviously it's his own fault and his agents for signing the contract but i think he is gonna wanna test the market to get market value. For that reason I think it would take a very "sizeable" extension for him to pass on being a UFA.
And he will get that "sizeable" extension from any team that trades for him. He's one of the few d-men I'd be willing to give over 6M a season to.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:33 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
To Flames: Montoya, Dawes, Prucha, Malik

To Rangers:Robyn Regehr and Brandon Prust

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:34 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
I know, I know. We don't want to trade any of the kids. Any person who has played over 5 seasons is too old for us.

This guy is 26 years old.

Sauer will, IMHO, never be at the level that Regehr is. Sauer will round out into a nice 2nd pairing defenseman.

Prucha is a 2nd/3rd liner that we can replace from within. Yes, he's a fan favorite and we all love the guy, but he's replaceable.

Bourret is the real big deal here. He's the guy that I'd rather NOT move, but if in a package for Regehr -- well, I'd put him in very begrudgingly if they DEMANDED him. I'd much rather replace him with another prospect like Dawes, but I doubt very much that they'd accept anything of the sort.

Again. We can win the Cup within a few years. Why not get a guy who could be one of the final pieces now while he's only 26 and lock him up long-term?
It has nothing to do with age, so don't assume you know my reason.

Our strength is defense. Weakness - top end forwards.

So we'll be a little stronger on defense but have to make a position in the near future much weaker. Prucha has been dynamite for us scoring like 55 goals in two years. That is NOT easy to replace. Especially on a team where the offense is JAGR.

Final peace? You realize we no longer have Nylander..and if we lock up Regehr long term it will not be cheap. That will amass most of our money to spend on free agents so don't expect to be getting a top end forward. So our scoring forwards will be an older Straka, Shannahan and Jagr. You need more than one scoring line to be a top team.

Despite our ragged defense last year we were still one of the top teams in GA. Our weakness was scoring goals. Within the next few years we'll be able to purge our current defensmen and bring in younger, better, cheaper players. You can then use that savings to bring in forwards.

We are far from being one defenseman away from the final piece. We are one MORE scoring line at least away from contending seriously.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Mmmmmm

Don't think Calgary needs a MONTOYA?

Does he not like Iron Mike, vice versa?

What are Calgarys needs?

06-26-2007, 10:42 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I'm sorry but you said it. A stay at home defenseman... It's not like you are trading for Dion Phaneuf who is a complete beast AND can move the puck... I doubt the Flames trade him now that they are making a run at the cup with Keenan on board anyway and trying to sign Smyth. They are losing Hammerlik and Stuart also, they can't afford to lose Regehr even if he hates it there. Id rather sign him if he becomes a free agent. There is NO WAY I am trading 3 young players for A STAY AT HOME DEFENSEMAN. I don't care how elite or young you think he is. He is not a Chris Pronger or Neidermayer that can make that kind of impact. He is a rich mans Dan Girardi. Why do people always want to ruin a good thing and make dumb moves like this? Why?! Oh why! Have you thought of how much it would cost to keep him anyway after we've traded for him? In an age where defensemen are being obscenely overpaid and there is a cap, YOU DON'T TRADE AWAY YOUNG CHEAP DEFENSEMEN WHO WILL BE IN BROADWAY FOR AT LEAST 4 YEARS MAKING NEXT TO NOTHING BEFORE THEY BECOME FREE AGENTS AT AGE 25! LIKE SAUR, GIRARDI, TYUTIN. Not unless you are unwilling to stay competitive for multiple years and you just want a quick run at the cup and another 5 years of sucking. Now if it only costs Prucha, or someone like Baranka, and I know he will cost a lot more than that.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:43 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

I think this is the first time I've ever heard the thought of bringing in an ELITE defenseman like Robyn Regehr as a "dumb move".

Wow.

Laughable.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:46 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Mmmmmm

Don't think Calgary needs a MONTOYA?

Does he not like Iron Mike, vice versa?

What are Calgarys needs?
I would actually have Malik as a player going back.

I know, I know we all think he holds little value. But really, he has a lot more than any of us know. He's a serviceable guy who ****s up from time to time, but he has a relatively inexpensive contract and he's a veteran guy whom Calgary could throw right into the line-up.

From there, we add prospects or young guys.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:46 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
And he will get that "sizeable" extension from any team that trades for him. He's one of the few d-men I'd be willing to give over 6M a season to.
I agree that it would probably take 5.5-6 mill over 5 years to keep him from testing the UFA market. If we did make a substantial financial commitment like that to him I think it would handcuff us in upgrading our top 2 line talent. Keep in mind Rozy is a UFA after this season and will probably be looking for a substantial pay increase if he keeps up his strong play. Combine that with Lundy making 4-4.5 mill per and things may start getting tight for us financially.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:49 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I agree that it would probably take 5.5-6 mill over 5 years to keep him from testing the UFA market. If we did make a substantial financial commitment like that to him I think it would handcuff us in upgrading our top 2 line talent. Keep in mind Rozy is a UFA after this season and will probably be looking for a substantial pay increase if he keeps up his strong play. Combine that with Lundy making 4-4.5 mill per and things may start getting tight for us financially.
You have to remember that we'd also be losing Shanny's contract off the books after this year and Straka's as well most likely as I see both of them retire.

The cap will most likely go up as well.

We really wouldn't be nearly handcuffed as some would think.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:49 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
This is the dumbest thing you have ever suggested Jon RX, you are usually right, but here you are wrong. You do not trade young cheap defensemen like Sauer in a salary cap era, for a cap busting guy that I will need to pay to keep, especially after giving all that AWAY. And Robyn Regehr is not as elite as you describe him. He is not the type of guy I pay top dollar for. Yes he is awesome, but he is a STAY AT HOME DEFENSEMAN. Not at the expense you are asking for. The only way we will make multiple runs at the cup in the next 5 years is by limiting the situations in which we actually have to pay people the 5 to 7 million dollar contracts. If we have a supposedly upcomming star in Staal, and a potential shutdown second pairing guy like Sauer, to go with an inexpensive yet effective Gigardi and an extremely underrated defender in Tyutin, without counting what we can get from Potter, Sanguinetti or Baranka, we are in an enviable position, because we wont have to pay these guys top dollar until they turn 25, Tyutin will come first, think about that... We should take advantage of how from a cap standpoint, this will put us in position to sign offensive guys, which we don't have enough of in our system.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote