HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q & A with Lombardi @ Select a seat

Old
06-26-2007, 10:38 PM
riseandfall9

vCash: 500
Q & A with Lombardi @ Select a seat

Just got back. Dean sat with about 30 of us for about an hour and half and answered all our questions. I will give yall the run down of it.

Lombardi tried to trade for Voukon. Predators wanted 1st round pick , 2nd rounc pick, Jonathan Bernier. Lombardi said no.

Lombardi mentioned "if" he would do a deal like that he wouldnt want to move 1st round picks or a top goalie prospect and through a Dustin Brown + 2 second round picks as an EXAMPLE. I took it as somthing he tried to do.

Mentioned that there are still 2 or 3 players that he farmed out of San Jose who still call him Dad.

Said that Hickey was the right pick. Hickey would have been taken by Carolina , St Louis and Boston if he didnt grab him.

I asked why Hickey over Alzner. He said Alzner will step into the caps lineup as a 3 - 4 d-man next year. But Hickey has an untapped potential. He said Hickey offers more of an all around game. Said that Hickey can see the ice like a Pronger/Neidermyer and can get back and fourth up and down with the best of em.

Cammaler is going to Arbitration. Hextall told us all that.

Lundmark was not Qualified because he doesnt fit in there plans down the middle.

That was the jist of it.

Last edited by riseandfall9: 06-27-2007 at 12:08 AM.
riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:41 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Just got back. Dean sat with about 30 of us for about an hour and half and answered all our questions. I will give yall the run down of it.

Lombardi tried to trade for Voukon. Predators wanted 1st round pick , 2nd rounc pick, Jonathan Bernier. Lombardi said no.

Lombardi counter offered Dustin Brown , and 2 second round picks and Predators said no.

Mentioned that there are still 2 or 3 players that he farmed out of San Jose who still call him Dad.

Said that Hickey was the right pick. Hickey would have been taken by Carolina , St Louis and Boston if he didnt grab him.

I asked why Hickey over Alzner. He said Alzner will step into the caps lineup as a 3 - 4 d-man next year. But Hickey has an untapped potential. He said Hickey offers more of an all around game. Said that Hickey can see the ice like a Pronger/Neidermyer and can get back and fourth up and down with the best of em.

Lundmark was not Qualified because he doesnt fit in there plans down the middle.

That was the jist of it.
Thanks. A lot of our questions were answered in that one post.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:42 PM
riseandfall9

ALSO! FORGOT TO ADD!

LOMBARDI IS NOT INTERESTED IN.

MANNY FERNANDEZ.
MARTIN GERBER.
ED BELFOUR.
CURTIS JOSEPH.

RAYCROFT IS BEING SHOPPED AND HE DOES NOT WANT HIM EITHER.

Forgot to add that.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:48 PM
kingsfan25

Thanks...I'm surprised he was so candid about offering Brown up for Vokoun.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:50 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
ALSO! FORGOT TO ADD!

MANNY FERNANDEZ.
MARTIN GERBER.
ED BELFOUR.
CURTIS JOSEPH.

Forgot to add that.
I knew all that junk was Eklund, uh, I mean media hyped!

Thanks for the info. Great stuff! So GLAD he said no the the 1st, 2nd and Bernier offer!!!

LombardiTool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Brown for Vokoun, pass.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:54 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Actually he used the word "if"

Also said that Frolov is an underachiver.

Cammaleri has to get better for what he wants.

and that Dustin Brown came out of the shell a little bit but not as much as lot of them expected.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
I knew all that junk was Eklund, uh, I mean media hyped!

Thanks for the info. Great stuff! So GLAD he said no the the 1st, 2nd and Bernier offer!!!

Yup. I'm down with finally getting a starting goalie (for the first time in a decade).

But thats a stupid overpayment...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
What do you mean he used if?

He asked if he would offer Brown + for Vokoun would the Preds accept, and they said no?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 10:59 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
What do you mean he used if?

He asked if he would offer Brown + for Vokoun would the Preds accept, and they said no?
If the offer was Brown + 2 second round picks they could have moved forward from there. Which I got the vibe that he was suggesting thats what he offered back.

Also, when asked about Free Agnecy.

Someone asked about Drury or Briere. And he specifically said. I would take the less talented one with more Character and better leadership over the glaring talent.

He had his hands tied. He really didnt feel comfortable saying anything. Said they are not aloud to say stuff about anyone until after July 1st. But he through some hints. Even though he didnt say forsure.

He mentioned 2 or 3 times. That "yes" players do want to come to LA. But he wants to make sure its for the right reasons. And NOT To retire or get out of the grind of things. Live in the sunshine.

Old
06-26-2007, 11:01 PM
nikolai19

Rise-

I noticed that Bryzgalov is not on that list, is that just an omission on your part, or are we going with a LaBabs/Cloutier/Ersberg through the year.

I don't really know what more they expect out of Frolov. He's not going to score 100 points in a season. He'll improve defensively and be good for 35 goals a year. You get what you pay for (and more considering his current market value).

Cammalleri had a breakout season. I'm assuming that he means they want Cammy to be more of a leader ala Briere.

Brownie is coming, it's just taking more time for his development. He's still young, but if he almost got dealt for Vohkun, then he may get dealt for somebody else.

Any other developments?

Is the offseason priority to get better defensemen?

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Hatter
Microagression King

Quote:
Actually he used the word "if"

Also said that Frolov is an underachiver.

Cammaleri has to get better for what he wants.

and that Dustin Brown came out of the shell a little bit but not as much as lot of them expected.
I cross posted and quoted you over on LGk becasue god knows you werent gonna do it

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:07 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
Rise-

I noticed that Bryzgalov is not on that list, is that just an omission on your part, or are we going with a LaBabs/Cloutier/Ersberg through the year.

I don't really know what more they expect out of Frolov. He's not going to score 100 points in a season. He'll improve defensively and be good for 35 goals a year. You get what you pay for (and more considering his current market value).

Cammalleri had a breakout season. I'm assuming that he means they want Cammy to be more of a leader ala Briere.

Brownie is coming, it's just taking more time for his development. He's still young, but if he almost got dealt for Vohkun, then he may get dealt for somebody else.

Any other developments?

Is the offseason priority to get better defensemen?

Lombardi didnt say a thing about Bryz. I didnt keep it out.

He did say that. That JLB was extremely out of shape. He didnt seem like he wanted the job. And was very un impressive. And that he got alot better when he went to Manchester took it in stride and really worked on his phyical condition. He said JLB will most likely get a REAL shot this year.

Old
06-26-2007, 11:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Quote:
ALSO! FORGOT TO ADD!

MANNY FERNANDEZ.
MARTIN GERBER.
ED BELFOUR.
CURTIS JOSEPH.

Forgot to add that.
So who does that leave? Burke won't trade Bryzgalov to the Kings. Toskala is gone too. Oh God please no Esche.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:09 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
I cross posted and quoted you over on LGk becasue god knows you werent gonna do it

totally...

good heads up RnF!

wabwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
RightKinger

I would not have done the Brown deal and I'm glad the Preds didn't accept. I would have offered up what Florida did. I don't know why they couldn't work something out if draft picks was all it was going to take especially since the Kings have a lot of them for next year.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:14 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Holy Crap, RaF. Thanks for the rundown. I wish someone could've turned on a recording device at this thing. This is gonna spawn an interesting thread on about 4 different levels...

Dustin Brown as trade bait - not too stoked that this has happened publicly, but I do like the offer to Nash for Vokoun. Their offer to us was too steep and I'm glad we passed.

Cammalleri to arbitration - "has to get better for what he wants" means, to me, that they're discussing extension and MC is looking for 5+. This is a dangerous game of brinksmanship... I am NOT pessemistic by nature, but I don't like where this seems to be going... Claws come out during arbitration hearings and players can get soured on management and organ-I-zations if they're not thick skinned...

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:15 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
I would not have done the Brown deal and I'm glad the Preds didn't accept. I would have offered up what Florida did. I don't know why they couldn't work something out if draft picks was all it was going to take especially since the Kings have a lot of them for next year.
Dean Lombardi did not want to trade away 1st round picks. He said when the time is right and he is just adding valuable peices for a playoff run he will do that. But there are way to many holes to fill and doesnt want to do that.

Also. The price was STEEPER for the Kings. Because we are in the WEST with the Predators. So Florida got a better deal

Old
06-26-2007, 11:15 PM
RightKinger

I don't know why he thinks Frolov is an underacheiver. He is just a streaky player and he has been improving every year. I'm sure that he will continue to become more consistent. He is only 24 and I'm sure he will become a consistent player once he hits his prime which could be as early as next season. Please don't trade Frolov.

Old
06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
Holy Crap, RaF. Thanks for the rundown. I wish someone could've turned on a recording device at this thing. This is gonna spawn an interesting thread on about 4 different levels...

Dustin Brown as trade bait - not too stoked that this has happened publicly, but I do like the offer to Nash for Vokoun. Their offer to us was too steep and I'm glad we passed.

Cammalleri to arbitration - "has to get better for what he wants" means, to me, that they're discussing extension and MC is looking for 5+. This is a dangerous game of brinksmanship... I am NOT pessemistic by nature, but I don't like where this seems to be going... Claws come out during arbitration hearings and players can get soured on management and organ-I-zations if they're not thick skinned...
I dont want the Dustin Brown Rumors to run RAMPANT. He used it as an exmple. And I took it that it was somthing he was considering. Please!

When making talking about the Bernier + picks deal he mentioned Kippersoff in that same sentence. I didnt catch it. But I think he said somthing along the lines like. "if were talking about Kippersoff" then thats a whole diffrent playing field.

Old
06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Dean Lombardi did not want to trade away 1st round picks. He said when the time is right and he is just adding valuable peices for a playoff run he will do that. But there are way to many holes to fill and doesnt want to do that.

Also. The price was STEEPER for the Kings. Because we are in the WEST with the Predators. So Florida got a better deal
Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old
06-26-2007, 11:23 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
yeah, that's a real confidence booster right there

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:24 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
If the offer was Brown + 2 second round picks they could have moved forward from there. Which I got the vibe that he was suggesting thats what he offered back.

Also, when asked about Free Agnecy.

Someone asked about Drury or Briere. And he specifically said. I would take the less talented one with more Character and better leadership over the glaring talent.

He had his hands tied. He really didnt feel comfortable saying anything. Said they are not aloud to say stuff about anyone until after July 1st. But he through some hints. Even though he didnt say forsure.

He mentioned 2 or 3 times. That "yes" players do want to come to LA. But he wants to make sure its for the right reasons. And NOT To retire or get out of the grind of things. Live in the sunshine.
That's one hell of a hint...but I'm glad he's interested in Drury and that Drury, seemingly, is somewhat interested in LA.

As for his comments on the young guns, Fro does need to be more consistent in his efforts despite his solid point total; what he did this year was get hotter in his hot streaks, not improve his consistency. However, I'm not really complaining about him. He's locked up to a good deal and he put good points on the board throughout the season. It seems to me that DL is likely more concerned with his underachiever attitude than his point totals.

The Cammalleri comments do worry me a bit; I can understand that, depending on what he is asking for, MC might have to prove he can be a top point-getter and leader for more than one year if he wants top dollar. DL's words make me think Cammalleri and his agent might have started the ball rolling at 5.5+. Looks like we're likely in store for another 1-year (possibly arbitration) settlement?

Brown certainly improved this year; toward the end, especially, he really started employing a bit more of a power game and, more importantly, becoming a catalyst for the play instead of a beneficiary of it. But, I get the impression that DL still views Brown as his most valuable tradeable asset; I've had that impression ever since he and Gleason were locked up to two-year deals at the beginning of the year when long-term or 1-year deals seemed more fitting and then Gleason was promptly shipped out for JJ. For my part, I think that, last off-season, DL was positioning one of those two to look more attractive in a trade by getting them inked to a mid-size contract; and, as DL's comments indicate, while DB improved his game and demeanour to some extent, I would imagine that they're not to the point where they consider him a player on their "must-keep" list.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 11:25 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
I agree. I hope this gets settled soon. I don't see how giving him a long term deal for 5+M is bad with the cap going up and with players like Gomez/Briere getting 7+M. Cammalleri is one player that I would feel comfortable giving a long term deal to even if it is for 5+M.

Old
06-26-2007, 11:26 PM
lakings41

Quote:

Lombardi counter offered Dustin Brown , and 2 second round picks and Predators said no.

That was the jist of it.
Like this guy hasn't pissed me off enough already. Trading Dustin Brown would have been a joke. I like Vokoun and we definitely need goaltending but why trade Brown? We have about 100 prospects we can move.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote