HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

question about HF

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 08:56 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
question about HF

so i was bored at work this morning and was looking at the future prospects for a bunch of teams as well as these teams "rankings"..... now i know that a 10 is for gretzky-estque players and a 9 is for possible franchise players etc etc (basically i read the little explanation that HF has).... but what im wondering is how they come up with these numbers? (an 8 for JDD for example) ..... do they use statistics? or is it a "voting" type thing, where a bunch of people cast votes and then they average the votes.... i ask this because there seems to be an AWFUL lot of 7-7.5 players, and the legend that HF provides says that a 7 equals a player that will be a "2nd line Forward/Top 3 Defenseman"..... a 2nd line forward or top-3 dman are hard commodities to come by... i personally dont think that each team has 4-6 of these types of players in their system.... basically im just wondering how these numbers are tabulated.... thanks in advance for any help

Old
12-29-2003, 09:04 AM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
so i was bored at work this morning and was looking at the future prospects for a bunch of teams as well as these teams "rankings"..... now i know that a 10 is for gretzky-estque players and a 9 is for possible franchise players etc etc (basically i read the little explanation that HF has).... but what im wondering is how they come up with these numbers? (an 8 for JDD for example) ..... do they use statistics? or is it a "voting" type thing, where a bunch of people cast votes and then they average the votes.... i ask this because there seems to be an AWFUL lot of 7-7.5 players, and the legend that HF provides says that a 7 equals a player that will be a "2nd line Forward/Top 3 Defenseman"..... a 2nd line forward or top-3 dman are hard commodities to come by... i personally dont think that each team has 4-6 of these types of players in their system.... basically im just wondering how these numbers are tabulated.... thanks in advance for any help
I can reply as the lone member of the Flames staff for HF on how I personally come up with the numbers. It is, in my case, totally subjective.

I evaluate a player based on stats scouting reports and the opportunities I have to see them play and then rate them accordingly. As it stands there is one 8 (Phaneuf) and four 7s (Nystrom, Taratukhin, Krahn and Medvedev).

In this instance, I see each of these players as having as their HIGH END potential top 4 D man, top 6 forward, starting goalie ability. That doesn't mean they will all achieve said potential, however, it means they could reach that level if all things go according to plan.

I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that each team has (give or take) a half dozen players with that kind of potential. It is unrealistic to believe they'll all achieve it though.

My 2 cents...

Old
12-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Agreed.

The Oiler rankings are done by myself but I went and got input from Kevin Prendergast and 2 other Oiler scouts to see where they expect these players to play if and when the make the NHL and also what sort of long term impact they will make.

To answer your question about Deslauriers for example... he got an 8 because he is projected to be a #1 goaltender in the NHL. Simple as that.

Guys like Niinimaki, Pouliot, Mikhnov, and Rita are considered to be at LEAST 2nd line players if not more, therefore they earned a 7-7.5 score.

Get it?

Old
12-29-2003, 12:46 PM
jadeddog

so its more what the players are "expected" to do than what people actually think they *will* do? i guess this would make sense then (the high number of players expected to be 2nd line+ players on each team)

Closed Thread