HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Looks like Iginla might be moved.

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Michalek

vCash: 500
Looks like Iginla might be moved.

Sutter on Jarme;
"The problem that Jarome faces is, everybody sees him as a 50- goal scorer," Sutter said. "He'd done that once in his career, and if you look at it, he's averaged around 28 or 29 goals in his career. That's the pace he's on again. If you're only relying on him to score, that becomes a mindset. And it's the wrong mindset."
"We had to adjust it, work with it, and make sure the players know that they are the ones being held accountable. Because our market doesn't allow us to go buy another goal scorer," he said. "In fact, our market may or may not be able to handle someone who is making that much money. It's scoring by committee, it's that simple. And once they got a handle on that, they got better from there."

any offers?

Old
12-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Michalek

and link http://www.canada.com/national/natio...f-9d86dfb42802

BTW : stolen from calgarypuck

Old
12-20-2003, 01:13 PM
Peter Griffin

If Iginla isn't scoring 40-50 goals, the I can't see the Flames keeping him around. Paying $7 mil for a 30 goal scorer is just too much for Calgary. They'd be much better off using that money to get 3 guys who can each score around 20 goals. I see him getting traded before this years deadline, or at the latest in the off-season. A young top 6 forward as well as a good pick/prospect may be enough to get Iggy at his salary.

Old
12-20-2003, 01:13 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
From Illitch's nehpew, who works in the same office as Mr. Illitch, "Look for rumors of Iginla to come to the Wings. Mr. Illitch really likes his style of play, and would like to have him here"

Take it for what its worth, but thats what the guy told me, and btw, I do know for a fact that he is Illitches nephew.

Old
12-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
Sutter on Jarme;
"The problem that Jarome faces is, everybody sees him as a 50- goal scorer," Sutter said. "He'd done that once in his career, and if you look at it, he's averaged around 28 or 29 goals in his career. That's the pace he's on again. If you're only relying on him to score, that becomes a mindset. And it's the wrong mindset."
"We had to adjust it, work with it, and make sure the players know that they are the ones being held accountable. Because our market doesn't allow us to go buy another goal scorer," he said. "In fact, our market may or may not be able to handle someone who is making that much money. It's scoring by committee, it's that simple. And once they got a handle on that, they got better from there."

any offers?
that doesnt really mean he's available

Old
12-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMeFrisbee
From Illitch's nehpew, who works in the same office as Mr. Illitch, "Look for rumors of Iginla to come to the Wings. Mr. Illitch really likes his style of play, and would like to have him here"
Henrik Zetterberg and a 1st round pick or a prospect such as Igor Grigorenko or Tomas Kopecky for Jarome Iginla? Flames would save almost $7 mil, so they would probably have to take on another salary as well, a guy like Deveraux.

Old
12-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
that doesnt really mean he's available
""In fact, our market may or may not be able to handle someone who is making that much money."

Sounds to me that the Flames may want to dump Iggy's salary...

Old
12-20-2003, 01:19 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMeFrisbee

Take it for what its worth, but thats what the guy told me, and btw, I do know for a fact that he is Illitches nephew.
Any team who can afford to take on his contract and not give up much in return will want him.

Old
12-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
""In fact, our market may or may not be able to handle someone who is making that much money."

Sounds to me that the Flames may want to dump Iggy's salary...

Still doesn't make sense. The owners are paying this guy the big bucks to play on a team that hasn't made the playoffs in seven years, with a surprisingly loyal fan base - and Iggy's contract is fully within the budget set out by management during the summer. Now, it's looking like the Flames might actually makethe playoffs. The revenue generated alone from their appearance, even if they are shut out in four straight would be huge. I can't see management giving up on him yet when he's Calgary's leading scorer, and taking this team to the playoffs.

Old
12-20-2003, 01:57 PM
blah

They're not making it seem like he's untouchable.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Frolov

As long as they're winning, ther will not be any salary dumps.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Cabin Mirror

They can't afford to deal Iginla. He's their marquee player. If they absolutely had to cut payroll, there are several players they would move before Iginla. If Iginla is traded, it won't be a salary dump.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:28 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

They are taking a run at the playoffs. They won't be trading him this year. The Calgary Fans deserve to see Iginla out on the ice for at least one playoff series in Calgary.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Michalek

[QUOTE=McDonald19]They are taking a run at the playoffs. They won't be trading him this year. The Calgary Fans deserve to see Iginla out on the ice for at least one playoff series in Calgary.[/QUOTE

Believe or not he played for CGY in PO.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:37 PM
kolanos

Sutter is a cryptic man, this is all probably being twisted and blown out of proportion. Iginla won't be traded this year is my belief.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:38 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Flames will not move iginla if they are still in the playoff hunt. Also the flames will lose turek's and conroy's salary at season's end. Turek makes 4, not sure how much conroy makes but thats atleast 5 or 6 mil right there (combined turek and conroy).

Old
12-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP
Flames will not move iginla if they are still in the playoff hunt. Also the flames will lose turek's and conroy's salary at season's end. Turek makes 4, not sure how much conroy makes but thats atleast 5 or 6 mil right there (combined turek and conroy).
That's not true. Turek has one more guaranteed year, and then a team option for another.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:48 PM
Michalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP
On the positive note Warenka and Buzek contracts will be up , thats total 2.2mln
also McAmmond 1.4 and Conroy 2.2 will be UFA ,and Gelinas will have 800k pay cut.

Old
12-20-2003, 03:09 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
whens his contract out? it's end of season isnt it?

if it is, i wouldnt mind the sabres making a bid, maybe Kotalik and Max for him.

but realistically, only NYR if carters moved (hint hint sabres again) or Detroit, even dallas for morrow.

Old
12-20-2003, 03:13 PM
blah

If he does move it will prolly be a deadline deal.

Old
12-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I could see Morrow and a 1st for Iginla. It might be the solution to take Dallas out of their slump and would give good return to the Flames while reducing the payroll. Plus Morrow's a Sutter type of player that would fit nicely in Calgary. Iginla was drafted by Dallas and it could be a nice PR move to bring him back down there (or not what do I know).

Of course I did not really think this through and Iggy's salary might be too much to handle for an already massive payroll. If there's just a few markets in this league able to handle that kind of paycheck though, Dallas' one of them.

Old
12-20-2003, 04:55 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I could see Morrow and a 1st for Iginla. It might be the solution to take Dallas out of their slump and would give good return to the Flames while reducing the payroll. Plus Morrow's a Sutter type of player that would fit nicely in Calgary. Iginla was drafted by Dallas and it could be a nice PR move to bring him back down there (or not what do I know).

Of course I did not really think this through and Iggy's salary might be too much to handle for an already massive payroll. If there's just a few markets in this league able to handle that kind of paycheck though, Dallas' one of them.
Not enough. The 1st rounder will almost be considered a second rounder, so essentially you're getting Morrow (who isn't needed given our stacked left side already), and a guy in the 20-30 range. Dallas doesn't have the goods that Calgary would be looking for in an Iginla trade.

Old
12-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Not enough. The 1st rounder will almost be considered a second rounder, so essentially you're getting Morrow (who isn't needed given our stacked left side already), and a guy in the 20-30 range. Dallas doesn't have the goods that Calgary would be looking for in an Iginla trade.
Almost a 2nd rounder? You're dreaming if you think that bunch of underacheivers will finnish at the top of the league. Iginla would just be enough IMO to push them into playoff contention.

As for Morrow, I sure hope you're not implying he maxed out his potential because he didn't. Power-forwards take longer to develop. Morrow certainly has more upside than just 20-20 kind of production.

And thirdly, you'll have to face it, Iginla is extremely overpaid for the kind of production he brings. 7M per for a 30 goal scorer? That just does not cut it in the current context. And that little fact alone almost guarentees you won't get everything you think the team deserves for him, because sadly, salary has become a huge part of trade value.

Old
12-20-2003, 06:03 PM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
And thirdly, you'll have to face it, Iginla is extremely overpaid for the kind of production he brings. 7M per for a 30 goal scorer? That just does not cut it in the current context. And that little fact alone almost guarentees you won't get everything you think the team deserves for him, because sadly, salary has become a huge part of trade value.
I've got a hunch that if the Flames do move Iginla, Turek will somehow be jammed into the deal. That way the move is better justified for the fans and allows management a LOT more room to maneuver.

Old
12-20-2003, 06:11 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
whens his contract out? it's end of season isnt it?

if it is, i wouldnt mind the sabres making a bid, maybe Kotalik and Max for him.

but realistically, only NYR if carters moved (hint hint sabres again) or Detroit, even dallas for morrow.
Iginla is an RFA next year. He remains Flames property and the Flames can qualify him -- and will, if he isn't moved.

Closed Thread