HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Looks like Iginla might be moved.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2003, 01:09 PM
  #1
Michalek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Looks like Iginla might be moved.

Sutter on Jarme;
"The problem that Jarome faces is, everybody sees him as a 50- goal scorer," Sutter said. "He'd done that once in his career, and if you look at it, he's averaged around 28 or 29 goals in his career. That's the pace he's on again. If you're only relying on him to score, that becomes a mindset. And it's the wrong mindset."
"We had to adjust it, work with it, and make sure the players know that they are the ones being held accountable. Because our market doesn't allow us to go buy another goal scorer," he said. "In fact, our market may or may not be able to handle someone who is making that much money. It's scoring by committee, it's that simple. And once they got a handle on that, they got better from there."

any offers?

Michalek is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:10 PM
  #2
Michalek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
and link http://www.canada.com/national/natio...f-9d86dfb42802

BTW : stolen from calgarypuck

Michalek is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:13 PM
  #3
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,388
vCash: 500
If Iginla isn't scoring 40-50 goals, the I can't see the Flames keeping him around. Paying $7 mil for a 30 goal scorer is just too much for Calgary. They'd be much better off using that money to get 3 guys who can each score around 20 goals. I see him getting traded before this years deadline, or at the latest in the off-season. A young top 6 forward as well as a good pick/prospect may be enough to get Iggy at his salary.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:13 PM
  #4
HeHateMeFrisbee
Registered User
 
HeHateMeFrisbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: England
Posts: 2,860
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
From Illitch's nehpew, who works in the same office as Mr. Illitch, "Look for rumors of Iginla to come to the Wings. Mr. Illitch really likes his style of play, and would like to have him here"

Take it for what its worth, but thats what the guy told me, and btw, I do know for a fact that he is Illitches nephew.

HeHateMeFrisbee is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:14 PM
  #5
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,241
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
Sutter on Jarme;
"The problem that Jarome faces is, everybody sees him as a 50- goal scorer," Sutter said. "He'd done that once in his career, and if you look at it, he's averaged around 28 or 29 goals in his career. That's the pace he's on again. If you're only relying on him to score, that becomes a mindset. And it's the wrong mindset."
"We had to adjust it, work with it, and make sure the players know that they are the ones being held accountable. Because our market doesn't allow us to go buy another goal scorer," he said. "In fact, our market may or may not be able to handle someone who is making that much money. It's scoring by committee, it's that simple. And once they got a handle on that, they got better from there."

any offers?
that doesnt really mean he's available

Pinto is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:17 PM
  #6
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMeFrisbee
From Illitch's nehpew, who works in the same office as Mr. Illitch, "Look for rumors of Iginla to come to the Wings. Mr. Illitch really likes his style of play, and would like to have him here"
Henrik Zetterberg and a 1st round pick or a prospect such as Igor Grigorenko or Tomas Kopecky for Jarome Iginla? Flames would save almost $7 mil, so they would probably have to take on another salary as well, a guy like Deveraux.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:18 PM
  #7
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
that doesnt really mean he's available
""In fact, our market may or may not be able to handle someone who is making that much money."

Sounds to me that the Flames may want to dump Iggy's salary...

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:19 PM
  #8
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMeFrisbee
From Illitch's nehpew, who works in the same office as Mr. Illitch, "Look for rumors of Iginla to come to the Wings. Mr. Illitch really likes his style of play, and would like to have him here"

Take it for what its worth, but thats what the guy told me, and btw, I do know for a fact that he is Illitches nephew.
Any team who can afford to take on his contract and not give up much in return will want him.

blah is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:50 PM
  #9
Ozy_Flame
Registered User
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
""In fact, our market may or may not be able to handle someone who is making that much money."

Sounds to me that the Flames may want to dump Iggy's salary...

Still doesn't make sense. The owners are paying this guy the big bucks to play on a team that hasn't made the playoffs in seven years, with a surprisingly loyal fan base - and Iggy's contract is fully within the budget set out by management during the summer. Now, it's looking like the Flames might actually makethe playoffs. The revenue generated alone from their appearance, even if they are shut out in four straight would be huge. I can't see management giving up on him yet when he's Calgary's leading scorer, and taking this team to the playoffs.

Ozy_Flame is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 01:57 PM
  #10
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
They're not making it seem like he's untouchable.

blah is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 02:01 PM
  #11
Frolov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
As long as they're winning, ther will not be any salary dumps.

Frolov is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 02:25 PM
  #12
Cabin Mirror
Registered User
 
Cabin Mirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North America
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
They can't afford to deal Iginla. He's their marquee player. If they absolutely had to cut payroll, there are several players they would move before Iginla. If Iginla is traded, it won't be a salary dump.

Cabin Mirror is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 02:28 PM
  #13
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,108
vCash: 500
They are taking a run at the playoffs. They won't be trading him this year. The Calgary Fans deserve to see Iginla out on the ice for at least one playoff series in Calgary.

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 02:36 PM
  #14
Michalek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=McDonald19]They are taking a run at the playoffs. They won't be trading him this year. The Calgary Fans deserve to see Iginla out on the ice for at least one playoff series in Calgary.[/QUOTE

Believe or not he played for CGY in PO.

Michalek is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 02:37 PM
  #15
kolanos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Sutter is a cryptic man, this is all probably being twisted and blown out of proportion. Iginla won't be traded this year is my belief.

kolanos is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 02:38 PM
  #16
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
Flames will not move iginla if they are still in the playoff hunt. Also the flames will lose turek's and conroy's salary at season's end. Turek makes 4, not sure how much conroy makes but thats atleast 5 or 6 mil right there (combined turek and conroy).

RCGP is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 02:39 PM
  #17
Ozy_Flame
Registered User
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP
Flames will not move iginla if they are still in the playoff hunt. Also the flames will lose turek's and conroy's salary at season's end. Turek makes 4, not sure how much conroy makes but thats atleast 5 or 6 mil right there (combined turek and conroy).
That's not true. Turek has one more guaranteed year, and then a team option for another.

Ozy_Flame is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 02:48 PM
  #18
Michalek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP
Flames will not move iginla if they are still in the playoff hunt. Also the flames will lose turek's and conroy's salary at season's end. Turek makes 4, not sure how much conroy makes but thats atleast 5 or 6 mil right there (combined turek and conroy).
On the positive note Warenka and Buzek contracts will be up , thats total 2.2mln
also McAmmond 1.4 and Conroy 2.2 will be UFA ,and Gelinas will have 800k pay cut.

Michalek is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 03:09 PM
  #19
SabresRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
whens his contract out? it's end of season isnt it?

if it is, i wouldnt mind the sabres making a bid, maybe Kotalik and Max for him.

but realistically, only NYR if carters moved (hint hint sabres again) or Detroit, even dallas for morrow.

SabresRule is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 03:13 PM
  #20
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
If he does move it will prolly be a deadline deal.

blah is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 03:19 PM
  #21
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
I could see Morrow and a 1st for Iginla. It might be the solution to take Dallas out of their slump and would give good return to the Flames while reducing the payroll. Plus Morrow's a Sutter type of player that would fit nicely in Calgary. Iginla was drafted by Dallas and it could be a nice PR move to bring him back down there (or not what do I know).

Of course I did not really think this through and Iggy's salary might be too much to handle for an already massive payroll. If there's just a few markets in this league able to handle that kind of paycheck though, Dallas' one of them.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 04:55 PM
  #22
Ozy_Flame
Registered User
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I could see Morrow and a 1st for Iginla. It might be the solution to take Dallas out of their slump and would give good return to the Flames while reducing the payroll. Plus Morrow's a Sutter type of player that would fit nicely in Calgary. Iginla was drafted by Dallas and it could be a nice PR move to bring him back down there (or not what do I know).

Of course I did not really think this through and Iggy's salary might be too much to handle for an already massive payroll. If there's just a few markets in this league able to handle that kind of paycheck though, Dallas' one of them.
Not enough. The 1st rounder will almost be considered a second rounder, so essentially you're getting Morrow (who isn't needed given our stacked left side already), and a guy in the 20-30 range. Dallas doesn't have the goods that Calgary would be looking for in an Iginla trade.

Ozy_Flame is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 05:33 PM
  #23
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Not enough. The 1st rounder will almost be considered a second rounder, so essentially you're getting Morrow (who isn't needed given our stacked left side already), and a guy in the 20-30 range. Dallas doesn't have the goods that Calgary would be looking for in an Iginla trade.
Almost a 2nd rounder? You're dreaming if you think that bunch of underacheivers will finnish at the top of the league. Iginla would just be enough IMO to push them into playoff contention.

As for Morrow, I sure hope you're not implying he maxed out his potential because he didn't. Power-forwards take longer to develop. Morrow certainly has more upside than just 20-20 kind of production.

And thirdly, you'll have to face it, Iginla is extremely overpaid for the kind of production he brings. 7M per for a 30 goal scorer? That just does not cut it in the current context. And that little fact alone almost guarentees you won't get everything you think the team deserves for him, because sadly, salary has become a huge part of trade value.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 06:03 PM
  #24
Heimy
Registered User
 
Heimy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I was just here
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
And thirdly, you'll have to face it, Iginla is extremely overpaid for the kind of production he brings. 7M per for a 30 goal scorer? That just does not cut it in the current context. And that little fact alone almost guarentees you won't get everything you think the team deserves for him, because sadly, salary has become a huge part of trade value.
I've got a hunch that if the Flames do move Iginla, Turek will somehow be jammed into the deal. That way the move is better justified for the fans and allows management a LOT more room to maneuver.

Heimy is offline  
Old
12-20-2003, 06:11 PM
  #25
kolanos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
whens his contract out? it's end of season isnt it?

if it is, i wouldnt mind the sabres making a bid, maybe Kotalik and Max for him.

but realistically, only NYR if carters moved (hint hint sabres again) or Detroit, even dallas for morrow.
Iginla is an RFA next year. He remains Flames property and the Flames can qualify him -- and will, if he isn't moved.

kolanos is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.