HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Boynton on Waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
  #26
SPG
Registered User
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utica, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i don't think 2.95 mil is to much contract. some one will grab him....
Someone will pick him up - it would be like signing a FA.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 03:02 PM
  #27
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i don't think 2.95 mil is to much contract. some one will grab him....
I agree, if people think Boynton is overpaid than what is Malik underpaid with that great +- We are one of the few teams that dont really have a mean nasty dman, heck the islanders have Witt, Devils have White, Flyers have Gauthier, Pens have Orpik, Rangers have 6 dman that dont really hit or put fear into the other team. I know it may not be a bad thing but we can use one physical dman. We can use some nastyness in front of Henrik, u know if a team goes to the net and hurts King Henrik, we are screwed. We gotta protect our goalie alot more this year.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 03:14 PM
  #28
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,818
vCash: 500
2 words.


Sheldon Souray.



not saying its goint to happen, but there is a mean nasty guy who can also bring another dimension with his shot.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
  #29
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
2 words.


Sheldon Souray.



not saying its goint to happen, but there is a mean nasty guy who can also bring another dimension with his shot.
I'd love Souray at the PP point.

unreal.

But he'll cost the Rangers and hes also not the greatest of d-mans either when all is considered as people here will attest to.

But i think hes worth the PP time alone. Even if hes playing in the 3rd or 4th spot.

If i had a choice between Boynton and Souray it would be Souray 100% with a cherry on top.

and some m&m's

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 03:44 PM
  #30
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

and some m&m's
You just forgot to mention that those M&Ms will cost 2.5-3 million dollars more.

However, I like the analogy. From now on, all UFA and player transactions have to be put in candy related terms.

Chris Drury will be this year's "Reggie Bar"

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
  #31
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
You just forgot to mention that those M&Ms will cost 2.5-3 million dollars more.

However, I like the analogy. From now on, all UFA and player transactions have to be put in candy related terms.

Chris Drury will be this year's "Reggie Bar"
Yes, quite the expensive sundae.

I'll take a Reggie Bar please.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
  #32
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
You just forgot to mention that those M&Ms will cost 2.5-3 million dollars more.

However, I like the analogy. From now on, all UFA and player transactions have to be put in candy related terms.

Chris Drury will be this year's "Reggie Bar"
next year Joe Thornton is the klondike bar.



what would you doooooo for Joe Thornton.



Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:57 PM
  #33
bagh
Registered User
 
bagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 543
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
next year Joe Thornton is the klondike bar.



what would you doooooo for Joe Thornton.


I said it before I'll say it again. I wish the Rangers wouldn't sign anyone big and let Straka man the second center spot. That's so we can take a shot at Thornton next year. yeah, I know it's a long shot and he might re-sign during the year but can you imagine a second line being anchored by Thornton could do for some of our young wingers (assuming shanahan retires) in 08-09. This guy has 92 assists just last year and all he does is make his team mates better. Besides Thornton next year is far superior to any FA available now IMHO. Like I said a long shot and probably one rangers fan's fantasy, but hey you never know.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 05:37 PM
  #34
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
I said it before I'll say it again. I wish the Rangers wouldn't sign anyone big and let Straka man the second center spot. That's so we can take a shot at Thornton next year. yeah, I know it's a long shot and he might re-sign during the year but can you imagine a second line being anchored by Thornton could do for some of our young wingers (assuming shanahan retires) in 08-09. This guy has 92 assists just last year and all he does is make his team mates better. Besides Thornton next year is far superior to any FA available now IMHO. Like I said a long shot and probably one rangers fan's fantasy, but hey you never know.
rangers will try to sign him anyway. theyll sign him, go over the cap, then get under by making trades.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 05:42 PM
  #35
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary
 
Lundqvist=Vezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My world
Country: United States
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
SJ's desicion to keep Thornton or Marleau next year will be like Buffalo's desicion this year to keep Drury or Briere and Ottawa's choice last year to Keep Redden over Chara

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 05:58 PM
  #36
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
2 words.


Sheldon Souray.



not saying its goint to happen, but there is a mean nasty guy who can also bring another dimension with his shot.
No thank you. I have said this over and over. Although he has one of, if not the best shots from the point in the game, he is a defensive liability in my opinion. You dont become -28 by mistake. Plus this seems like exactly the kind of guy that we sign for big dollars and he comes here an blows up in our faces. I just dont think he is a good fit for this team and the price is way too much for a player that is -28.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 05:59 PM
  #37
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
rangers will try to sign him anyway. theyll sign him, go over the cap, then get under by making trades.
What did Thornton do in the playoffs this year? I dont think much

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:01 PM
  #38
bagh
Registered User
 
bagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 543
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
What did Thornton do in the playoffs this year? I dont think much
So let me get this straight. You're gonna pass on a guy who was the MVP just two years ago and scored over a 100 points just last season all because of last post-season? With all due respect bud, that's insane. there is no way anyone should pass on a player of that caliber when he still seems to have the talent to boot.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:10 PM
  #39
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
So let me get this straight. You're gonna pass on a guy who was the MVP just two years ago and scored over a 100 points just last season all because of last post-season? With all due respect bud, that's insane. there is no way anyone should pass on a player of that caliber when he still seems to have the talent to boot.
You can have all the success you want in the regular season, but the goal is to win the Cup. If he is gonna be a non-factor in the playoffs, Id rather have a lesser player like a Michael Nylander who is less expensive, can get the job done and have more playoff success than Thornton. Makes sense doesnt it?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:22 PM
  #40
bagh
Registered User
 
bagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 543
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
You can have all the success you want in the regular season, but the goal is to win the Cup. If he is gonna be a non-factor in the playoffs, Id rather have a lesser player like a Michael Nylander who is less expensive, can get the job done and have more playoff success than Thornton. Makes sense doesnt it?
Yeah, but you're basing you're argument around one session of post-season play. Besides I just looked at his stats, he was seemed to have 11 points in 11 playoff games didn't score that many goals but set a lot up. what more can you ask of him?
I really don't think your argument is that valid bud.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:26 PM
  #41
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
Yeah, but you're basing you're argument around one session of post-season play. Besides I just looked at his stats, he was seemed to have 11 points in 11 playoff games didn't score that many goals but set a lot up. what more can you ask of him?
I really don't think your argument is that valid bud.
38 points in 57 playoff games. Not elite status if you ask me

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:39 PM
  #42
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP
 
poeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
the kings should grab him... make that team better again. god that team sucks, but i love kopitar

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
  #43
bagh
Registered User
 
bagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 543
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
38 points in 57 playoff games. Not elite status if you ask me
First of all, the man was an MVP if that doesn't put him into elite status in your eyes then you have incredibly high standards.

Secondly, that's largely because of 2 pointless playoff appearances. One of which he can be forgiven for because it was his rookie season. The other session seemed more of an abberation. a guy having an off-year more than anything else. Here are his playoff numbers. Apart from those two seasons he seemed to have almost a PPG in almost all other playoffs.

1997-1998 Bruins 6 0 0 0
1998-1999 Bruins 11 3 6 9
2001-2002 Bruins 6 2 4 6
2002-2003 Bruins 5 1 2 3
2003-2004 Bruins 7 0 0 0
2005-2006 Sharks 11 2 7 9
2006-2007 Sharks 11 1 10 11

As you can see he has 20 pts in his last 22 games. I think part of that can be attributed to the the support he might recieve. I think he is worth it for his play-making skills alone. Besides, you can't bank on a player on being on your top 2 lines just because he has a good playoff. If he doesn't produce in the regular season there's no way you get there in the first place.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:48 PM
  #44
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
What did Thornton do in the playoffs this year? I dont think much
He was the Sharks best forward with Grier, had 11 points in 11 games and was +2. (for comparison, Marleau had 6 points and was -5)

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:58 PM
  #45
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I completely disagree about Nick being over-rated. His expectations to lead the Bruins defense were a reach. If you wanted over-rated in relations to contract, you start w/ Jovo then Morris on the Coyotes.
Definitely, moreso Morris than Jovo. Jovo can still be a top-flight offensive defenseman if you ask me. But not nearly worth 6 million.

Quote:
I watched a ton of Phoenix games last year, and despite the ugly nature of many performances, Nick Boynton was a leader and stuck up for teammates in a fashion that is completely commendable.
The Sopel cheapshot coming out of the sin bin on Scatchard is the moment that sticks out in my mind about Boynton. Boynton was the first one to fight.

Quote:
Simply put, a very physical defensemen who can also move the puck and isn't a defensive liability is a rare attribute in this league. Is he a PP quaterback, no. Nick never lived up to any offensive projections.
He's slightly overpaid for what he does, but by no means is overrated, I agree with you.

Quote:
But honestly, w/ the PP being the Jagr show for presumably 2 more years, and utilizing Cullen, Straka, and Rozsival at the point, the need isn't as glaring as other issues.

Easily, Boynton would be more important and useful to the Rangers backline than Paul Mara is.
I agree with everything there except for him being more useful than Mara. Mara has played VERY WELL for us, so far. Boynton would be a slight upgrade defensively, while Mara is slightly better offensively.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 07:08 PM
  #46
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
No thank you. I have said this over and over. Although he has one of, if not the best shots from the point in the game, he is a defensive liability in my opinion. You dont become -28 by mistake. Plus this seems like exactly the kind of guy that we sign for big dollars and he comes here an blows up in our faces. I just dont think he is a good fit for this team and the price is way too much for a player that is -28.
Agreed. Don't want Souray. Don't want any D from outside the organization unless it involves moving one of our existing D. We have a plethora of young guys who are ready and it's time to break one of them into the lineup. Even if we didn't, I wouldn't want to add a guy on the wrong side of 30 who is weak in his own end.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
  #47
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,513
vCash: 500
You can have your lousy GM back, now. Please take Wayne Gretzky with him.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
  #48
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You can have your lousy GM back, now. Please take Wayne Gretzky with him.
you need to give him some time. It isnt like he is gonna be a miracle worker and the Coyotes are gonna win a stanley cup this year. You need to have some patience. And also Wayne is probably as good a hockey player right noe than anyone on your team

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 07:38 PM
  #49
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
If 2.95 is the figure, you waive Malik and add the physical dman our blueline needs.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 07:51 PM
  #50
bagh
Registered User
 
bagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 543
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You can have your lousy GM back, now. Please take Wayne Gretzky with him.
Dude, he has been in the GMs seat for just a month. It's a tad bit early to write him off just based on the Boynton release. I think that might be one of his only moves.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.