HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mac T must be fired

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 10:56 AM
27theROCK

vCash: 500
Mac T must be fired

What in the hell is this guy doing. he plays Horcoff as much as humanly possible and why? i dont know about you guys but i think horcoff is at best a fourth line player. I dont understand how it is that horcoff can be given the most ice time when he isnt even close to the best player on our team. I dont like the fact that everyone is on laraque for making to much money and doing nothing. the game against the canucks he was on for four shifts and the first one they had lots of pressure then the second one they got a goal and the fourth one he tries to fight Cooke. what else do you want? i mean i know the guy lacks some intensity but you would to if you only get a few shifts a game and no matter what you do you get benched. everyone beats him for not agitating enough but at the start of his time here in edmonton mact benched him everytime he took a penalty that wasnt a fighting major and thats why you see a guy who is scared to muck it up. Mact also has no i dea how to work our pp and our pk and i am so tierd of hearing the only reason we lost is because we couldnt convert our chances. The team has stopped playing for him and no trade is gonna turn it around. Lowe has to bite the bullet and cut mac t.

Old
12-29-2003, 11:19 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Horcoff was also completely dominant on the face-off dot, and that could explain the amount of ice time as well.

When you have a guy going like that, you want to put him out for as many draws as possible.

Old
12-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Cerebral

Everyone calling for MacT's head should realize that he was just signed for 3 more years.. Lowe cannot bite the bullet as the Oilers organization cannot likely afford to buyout MacT and resign their players in the offseason. I too would like to see some change amongst the Oilers staff but I just don't see it as a viable option at this point in time..

Old
12-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 881
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Everyone calling for MacT's head should realize that he was just signed for 3 more years.. Lowe cannot bite the bullet as the Oilers organization cannot likely afford to buyout MacT and resign their players in the offseason. I too would like to see some change amongst the Oilers staff but I just don't see it as a viable option at this point in time..
Good Point, Fire Lowe for giving that type of extension? Unless you have one of the top coaches in the NHL it is stupid to give a coach a 3 year extension like the one MacTavish got.

It's clear that Lowe caved into MacTavish's demands when there was talk about MacTavish going to New York, Lowe didn't want to be upstagged by Sather. Why both teams wanted MacTavish? I dunno, if I was Lowe I would've let that bum MacTavish go to New York. Sather dosen't have a clue what he's doing in New York, all of his coaches have sucked, no wonder he was after MacTavish.

Maybe Sather is dumb enough that the Oilers could trade MacTavish to the Rangers for Lundmark, or just give the Rangers a 8th rounder for taking MacTavish off their hands? MacTavish is gone at no cost to the Oilers, and they are free to hire a new coach

Old
12-29-2003, 12:02 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
Good Point, Fire Lowe for giving that type of extension? Unless you have one of the top coaches in the NHL it is stupid to give a coach a 3 year extension like the one MacTavish got.

It's clear that Lowe caved into MacTavish's demands when there was talk about MacTavish going to New York, Lowe didn't want to be upstagged by Sather. Why both teams wanted MacTavish? I dunno, if I was Lowe I would've let that bum MacTavish go to New York. Sather dosen't have a clue what he's doing in New York, all of his coaches have sucked, no wonder he was after MacTavish.

Maybe Sather is dumb enough that the Oilers could trade MacTavish to the Rangers for Lundmark, or just give the Rangers a 8th rounder for taking MacTavish off their hands? MacTavish is gone at no cost to the Oilers, and they are free to hire a new coach
Or maybe Lowe just thought Mac-T was the right guy for the job.

He is the one who is there the most often, and he may possibly have a little more insight into the whole situation than anyone else does.

Just an observation.

Old
12-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov

That did probably play a factor.. I remember I was pretty shocked when I read in the summer that MacT might not return to the Oilers. In Lowe's defense, MacT was doing a great job of coaching the past few years and the Oilers had finished in the 92ish point range for a few seasons in a row. He took a Weight-less Oilers roster and actually turned them into a very good hockey team.. I'm personally not ready to blame this whole funk on MacT yet but I can understand the position many fans have taken towards the Oilers' coaching staff. Keep in mind our special teams have been a lot better recently though! We've been scoring PP goals and doing a stellar job on the pk.. just not winning

Old
12-29-2003, 12:05 PM
27theROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Horcoff was also completely dominant on the face-off dot, and that could explain the amount of ice time as well.

When you have a guy going like that, you want to put him out for as many draws as possible.
Well i dont care if the guy always wins the draw he is terrible. i know what you saying but it doesnt make sense to have him play 20 some minutes a game when he is the worst center on our team (skill wise). Mac t putting Horcoff out to win the draw reminds me of the simpsons when Mr Burns pinch hits for strawberry after strawberry had something like 9 homeruns because he was playing the odds (you simpsons buffs will know what i am talking about).

Old
12-29-2003, 12:10 PM
27theROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
That did probably play a factor.. I remember I was pretty shocked when I read in the summer that MacT might not return to the Oilers. In Lowe's defense, MacT was doing a great job of coaching the past few years and the Oilers had finished in the 92ish point range for a few seasons in a row. He took a Weight-less Oilers roster and actually turned them into a very good hockey team.. I'm personally not ready to blame this whole funk on MacT yet but I can understand the position many fans have taken towards the Oilers' coaching staff. Keep in mind our special teams have been a lot better recently though! We've been scoring PP goals and doing a stellar job on the pk.. just not winning
I dissagree i have hated mact from when we had weight. he always had the team play terrible for months at a time. in the playoffs we would have all the pressure and be dominating and as soon as we got one goal we would stop checking and go into a defensive shell and we all know how good that work out. we always lost by one goal is that just irronic? i think it is because mac t gave all the momentum back to dallas and we would be on our heels. we need a coach who understands that we have to be a hard nose team not a perimeter team. we get garbage goals and hurt the other team. Mac t thinks we should all be snipers and play a system and i will point out that it hasnt worked out since he has been here.

Old
12-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK
I dissagree i have hated mact from when we had weight. he always had the team play terrible for months at a time. in the playoffs we would have all the pressure and be dominating and as soon as we got one goal we would stop checking and go into a defensive shell and we all know how good that work out. we always lost by one goal is that just irronic? i think it is because mac t gave all the momentum back to dallas and we would be on our heels. we need a coach who understands that we have to be a hard nose team not a perimeter team. we get garbage goals and hurt the other team. Mac t thinks we should all be snipers and play a system and i will point out that it hasnt worked out since he has been here.
What on earth are you talking about? His system hasn't worked since he's been here? In 2000, he started with 39 wins for 93 points. 2001, he's gotten 38 wins for 92 points. and last year he had 36 wins for 92 points. He's reached 100 wins for the Oil faster than any other coach, which included Sather with Gretzky!

Count the teams who fail to make the playoffs in the last several years. How many playoff teams have a genuine superstar? The Oil don't. Even Minnesota has Gaborik. I'm not saying MacT is the second coming of Bowman, but give credit where its due. I know people are dissing on MacT right now, so this post will probably get flamed but he's not Bruce Cassidy or Greg Gilbert and is certainly tons better than Ronnie Low.

Closed Thread