HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

back-up goalie

Old
06-27-2007, 09:00 PM
n_a_c

vCash: 500
I think Montoya should be ferried back and forth between Hartford and NY. He should get at least 12 starts in the NHL, assuming they go ok. And he should get another 40+ in the AHL. If he does extermely well in the NHL, then perhaps he would get more action in the NHL and not ferry around.

Vally can be a backup - and ferry in the opposite direction from Montoya, but still get some starts in the AHL.

I'm pretty sure there is no limit to how often we call up and down Montoya. I'm not sure if Vally would need to pass through waivers?

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
Would love to see Montoya get 15 starts in the NHL this season. If the rangers expect this guy to get them back a number one center or a top 5 draft pick... he has to get some NHL experience to flash his skills.
Which is exactly my point. It's about time he sees some NHL action. As it is right now, nobody is going to give up an established player that we know Montoya is worth. He's got to prove he can be the goalie everyone thinks he can be. I don't see how 15-20 starts and practicing against NHL players every day is going to hinder his development.

Having a Lundqvist-Montoya tandem next season is a win-win situation. Both guys are aware that the other wants the job. A little healthy competition will not hurt. Both guys will push each other to play their best.

Bottom line is Montoya needs to see some NHL action this season so everyone can see what he's got.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
I'm all for valley... good, cheap option as a backup. for his 15-20 starts next season, if he wins at least half, he's done his job...

... can't we just bring back good ol' glenn healy? he and richter, great combo...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
I'm all for valley... good, cheap option as a backup. for his 15-20 starts next season, if he wins at least half, he's done his job...

... can't we just bring back good ol' glenn healy? he and richter, great combo...
What happens if he only wins only 1/4 of the games, is that good enough? Because, there's absolutely no guarantee that he'll do any better than that.

Going with Valiquette could be a real gamble.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 11:06 PM
cheifshockey23

byron dafoe!

NOT

cheifshockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

Bottom line is Montoya needs to see some NHL action this season so everyone can see what he's got.
Valid point.

Get Montoya some action in the NHL... I think this is a big reason as to why he wasn't traded at this draft. Face it this draft was a little weak. Next years draft is supposed to be much deeper, get Montoya's value up and trade him off for a high pick. I honestly think this is where Sathers reasoning is right now, why else would we take LaFluer.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
It's Big Valley season, boys.

It's his time to shine in the back-up role.

I love his attitude. I love his game. And he's played well in spot action in the past. He's paid his dues. It's about time to give the guy an honest shot at the back-up role.

GO BIG VALLEY.

I've loved the guy since he was an Islanders prospect way back in the day. He has the perfect attitude for a back-up goaltender. What's not to like about the guy!?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:24 AM
eco's bones

simply put I see Valiquette as a place holder journeyman blocking a younger and better player. We wouldn't want to see a Strudwick brought in to keep Staal or Baranka on the farm would we? Or Isbister brought back so that Bourret's options for the season are limited to Hartford? What happened to the rebuild? When guys look ready we should give them a shot. As with Callahan and Girardi.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:28 AM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

Tim Thomas

Hey Bruins fan the B's are most likely gonna give up either Thomas or Hannu. But I want to keep Hannu would you guys be interested in Timmy?

Personally I think Thomas would be the best backup in the league and if Henrik went down for a while Thomas could hold the fort

13Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 08:46 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
What about Weekes? What do you think it would cost to sign him? 1 mill? Though I might not be a big fan of his, he is a serviceable backup goalie. When Henrik needs a breather, Weekes can get the job done. I think he might want more money though
Forget about Weekes hes gone. He's already got a Fed Ex sticker on his forehead they are just waiting to write the address on it.

No sense in signing him when youve got a cheaper younger backup in Vally. Besides Weekes has NOT been a servicable backup, i don't know where you are getting that from. Good in the lockerroom? yeah sure... but if you recall Weekes was brought in here to be the #1 and he pretty much failed. He had his chances at being a good back-up but failed at that too and then got injured.

He had one good run early in the year and then you couldnt count in him after that. Makes no sense whatsoever to even mention the word contract to him.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
VisionQuest*

Get H.T. outta Boston.

Toy's future in the NHL is probably relegated to "Very good backup."

With Tukka Rask in the pending plans for Boston, there's no room for him there.

Trade Montoya soon. His prospect value is still incredible.

There is no room for he and lundqvist.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote