HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to the "return of the recently departed d-man"?

Old
06-27-2007, 03:50 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

vCash: 500
What happened to the "return of the recently departed d-man"?

...from the Lombardi interview on the Hammond blog?

STL just gave ATL their 1st round pick back for the rights to Keith Tkachuk and a 4th round pick, so I guess it would be within the rules to get Norstrom or Sopel back (not that I'm suggesting it, but it was discussed in another thread long ago)

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
...from the Lombardi interview on the Hammond blog?

STL just gave ATL their 1st round pick back for the rights to Keith Tkachuk and a 4th round pick, so I guess it would be within the rules to get Norstrom or Sopel back (not that I'm suggesting it, but it was discussed in another thread long ago)
norstrom is not a free agent, so we can't get his RIGHTS, but we can still trade for him.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 03:56 PM
tomd

I was wondering that myself - Sopel was the most logical answer to the DL riddle. it would be amusing if Sopel and Modry were signed instead of Stuart and Hannan.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 03:56 PM
kingsfan25

IMO, Norstrom will be signed by LA once his current expensive contract runs out; that's probably why DL is unwilling to give Miller more than 1-year. This is, of course, speculation on my part.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Matt13

Modry was discussed!

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:02 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyros View Post
norstrom is not a free agent, so we can't get his RIGHTS, but we can still trade for him.
Technically, Tkachuk and Sopel aren't free agents YET either...

The STL / ATL trade makes it look like that 1st round draft choice was just collateral on the "loan" - the real price for borrowing Tkachuk was a 4th round draft choice

Old
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Dean's projection for "the return of..." was addressed as a for instance, a couple of years down the road. he didn't say "next season" specifically.

at least that was the way i remembered it.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Sniper7

Send a message via Yahoo to Sniper7
Wait until the FA market opens up on July 1st to see.

Sniper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:13 PM
guzmania

I might be wrong but wasn't Modry dismissed in that Daily News interview. From the "breakfast of lies" (my facetious name for that landmark event, my emphasis), didn't DL say that he'd like to sign Miller? So I've always (until this AM's read of the pick-a-seat posts) believed that would be a done deal. Funny even Miller disses DL, holds his feet to the fire as it were. That does not bode well for any real free agent talent coming our way.

I think we should just throw away all the hints and the speculation surrounding them. It's like playing Clue with liars.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:13 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
Dean's projection for "the return of..." was addressed as a for instance, a couple of years down the road. he didn't say "next season" specifically.

at least that was the way i remembered it.
From Hammond's blog 5/14/07:

"Then came the problem areas, defense and goaltending. Lombardi had Visnovsky and Johnson inked in as top-four guys and Harrold as a fifth or sixth guy. Lombardi left the possibility of Blake coming back as an option and...this is where it gets tough, because Dean tossed out a couple names that I can't disclose right now, because it would be tampering. I'll say this for one of them...think recent past, very recent past. "

Old
06-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Fingolfin

Quote:

"Then came the problem areas, defense and goaltending. Lombardi had Visnovsky and Johnson inked in as top-four guys and Harrold as a fifth or sixth guy. Lombardi left the possibility of Blake coming back as an option and...this is where it gets tough, because Dean tossed out a couple names that I can't disclose right now, because it would be tampering. I'll say this for one of them...think recent past, very recent past. "
Yes, but Lombardi had guys like Purcell penciled in as well, meaning this is how Dean saw the team shaping up in a few years. It certainly had nothing to do with his plans for the '07-'08 season.

- Fin

Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:

Could be Corvo...but that's not "very recent past". It is "recent past"

There were Corvo rumors last week.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

You could be right - there are several ways to interpret this.

I'm going on record - I hate this "I know a secret, but I can't tell you what it is" crap.

Old
06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
wabwat

hence the - the possibility of Blake coming back as an option

Old
06-27-2007, 04:22 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Someone brought that up at the Select a Seat Q&A last night and Lombardi acted like he didn't know *** the guy was talking about.

"I said that? When?"

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Goallum

Quote:
You could be right - there are several ways to interpret this.
In a world where "in a team's top-5" could have so many interpretations, there certainly are.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

I think ... AS USUAL ... fans read too much into that statement Hammond made and took it out of context and/or misinterpreted it ... case in point PSP you qouted Hammond as saying ... "return of the recently departed d-man" ... HE NEVER SAID THAT.

THIS is his quote ...
Quote:
"Then came the problem areas, defense and goaltending. Lombardi had Visnovsky and Johnson inked in as top-four guys and Harrold as a fifth or sixth guy. Lombardi left the possibility of Blake coming back as an option and ... this is where it gets tough, because Dean tossed out a couple names that I can't disclose right now, because it would be tampering. I'll say this for one of them ... think recent past, very recent past.
I think Hammond was alluding to a D-man from Lombardi's recent past, not the Kings, and he couldn't discuss names because it would be tampering if the guy was an UFA or RFA come July 1st. Take that for what you will but to me it sounds more like Hammond is talking about either an ex-current-Shark UFA's as in Brad Stuart or Scott Hannan, or a Philly Flyer maybe in Joni Pitkanen ???

It's the FANS that assumed he was talking about a past KING player, but that was most likely NEVER THE CASE.

Also MY interpretation above would also certainly explain this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Someone brought that up at the Select a Seat Q&A last night and Lombardi acted like he didn't know *** the guy was talking about. "I said that? When?"

Last edited by Puck U: 06-27-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:21 PM
CBGB

If Timmonen can sign for 6 million a year that means Lubo is worth 5 million a year.

Corvo is on the block and is now a (gulp) bargain at 2.4 a year.

Lubo is traded for Niinimakki and Corvo comes back to the Kings for draft picks.

Corvo AND Modry?

I may eat my own vomit.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 06:38 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
I think ... AS USUAL ... fans read too much into that statement Hammond made and took it out of context and/or misinterpreted it ... case in point PSP you qouted Hammond as saying ... "return of the recently departed d-man" ... HE NEVER SAID THAT.

THIS is his quote ...

I think Hammond was alluding to a D-man from Lombardi's recent past, not the Kings, and he couldn't discuss names because it would be tampering if the guy was an UFA or RFA come July 1st. Take that for what you will but to me it sounds more like Hammond is talking about either an ex-current-Shark UFA's as in Brad Stuart or Scott Hannan, or a Philly Flyer maybe in Joni Pitkanen ???

It's the FANS that assumed he was talking about a past KING player, but that was most likely NEVER THE CASE.

Maybe it's just me, but IMO "very recent past" would exclude ALL of the Sharks options and make the Philly option very questionable

Old
06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
kingsfan25

You make a good point, but your font size and colour choices aren't impressive enough to compete with your counterpart.

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but IMO "very recent past" would exclude ALL of the Sharks options and make the Philly option very questionable
There.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:14 PM
kozak

Just say no to Modry

kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:00 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
I was wondering that myself - Sopel was the most logical answer to the DL riddle. it would be amusing if Sopel and Modry were signed instead of Stuart and Hannan.
How about Joe Corvo !? I think that's the man...

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post

THIS is his quote ...

Why do you ALWAYS find the need to make your posts so obnoxious? What with the giant letters and colors and all. People would still take you seriously if you used normal script size and black.

Had to get that off my chest. Carry on.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
How about Joe Corvo !? I think that's the man...

i doubt you'll ever see Joe in a Kings jersey again... unless you look at an old picture.

Old
06-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
If Timmonen can sign for 6 million a year that means Lubo is worth 5 million a year.
Why would you project Visnovsky to make less than Timonen when Visnovsky has put up stronger numbers in comparison?

Timonen

(2005-2006) 79 Games: 11 Goals, 39 Assists -- 50 Points
(2006-2007) 80 Games: 13 Goals, 42 Assists -- 55 Points

Visnovsky

(2005-2006) 80 Games: 17 Goals, 50 Assists -- 67 Points
(2006-2007) 69 Games: 18 Goals, 40 Assists -- 58 Points

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote