HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres New Identity

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Puddy

vCash: 500
Sabres New Identity

Obviously, changes need to be made to the existing team so....
what 'Identity' would you like to see in the new look Sabres. Keep in mind that there is a team budget in place. Do you want the Sabres to be built with size like the Flyers, speed like the Oilers, full of veterans like the Wings, or the skill of the Avalanche (not easily affordable). What sort of team would fill the HSBC arena? A trapping team like the Wild? A bunch of fighters that can intimidate? A team built around a superstar goalie?
Understandably, things can't change overnight, but over the long term, what type of players should the Sabres be scouting? And going back to the last draft, is there a player chosen after Vanek that you would rather have in a Sabres uniform?

Old
12-23-2003, 10:23 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
I would invest a half of my payroll for a stud goalie and defenseman.Add in some servicable 2nd and 3rd liners and hopefully it could go to the playoffs.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:28 AM
Takeo

I want a team chock full of goons who just beat down opposing teams. Screw the playoffs. Ass whippings are much more gratifying.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:43 AM
ajsonor

I'd like a team, that as Ted Nolan once said, will learn to get their underwear wet. I want a team that will battle for each other even if they're down 4-1 and don't have a chance of winning. I want that "hardest working team in hockey," something the people of Buffalo can respect while winning and losing. If we have a super talented team that goes and and has a bad month, it would alienate the fans of this area.

Ted Nolan is not required for this. It starts with the environment created by the GM, and the fringe players that he brings in. Regier hit it right bringing in Mair. But he's moved out Peca, Varada, May, and Ray in exchange for guys who don't possess 1/2 their grit and I'd have to say love for teammates.

As for the draft, Vanek is ok in my book with the #5 pick. I'm happy they didn't rush him and bring him into this mess before its taken care of.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
Ted Nolan is not required for this. It starts with the environment created by the GM, and the fringe players that he brings in. Regier hit it right bringing in Mair. But he's moved out Peca, Varada, May, and Ray in exchange for guys who don't possess 1/2 their grit and I'd have to say love for teammates.
Is it just me or has Mair been practically invisible so far this season?

Old
12-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy
Obviously, changes need to be made to the existing team so....
what 'Identity' would you like to see in the new look Sabres. Keep in mind that there is a team budget in place. Do you want the Sabres to be built with size like the Flyers, speed like the Oilers, full of veterans like the Wings, or the skill of the Avalanche (not easily affordable). What sort of team would fill the HSBC arena? A trapping team like the Wild? A bunch of fighters that can intimidate? A team built around a superstar goalie?
Understandably, things can't change overnight, but over the long term, what type of players should the Sabres be scouting? And going back to the last draft, is there a player chosen after Vanek that you would rather have in a Sabres uniform?
I would like to continue to see youth served on this team, where youngsters are looked upon to play in all situations and at all times, thereby moving themselves and the team further on the development cycle. I would prefer a lineup akin to what the Preds have built, sprinkled with toughness throughout all the lines and with skill throughout as well. Energetic, and with upside, I would scout heavily for players who combine high, high skill level with energy and grit-----higher energy guys who wont fall asleep at their desks while typing replies to posts about what sort of team they want to watch-----but they need to have a couple players who are first level scorers and another stud defenseman to go along with the few pieces they currently have.

As to the question regarding anyone after Vanek... no. I wouldn't mind having a couple of them <i>in addition</i> to him, but I don't mind his selection at this time. Now if there was a way to have both him and Coburn or Phaneuf...or Parise, lets talk.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
I would like to continue to see youth served on this team, where youngsters are looked upon to play in all situations and at all times, thereby moving themselves and the team further on the development cycle. I would prefer a lineup akin to what the Preds have built, sprinkled with toughness throughout all the lines and with skill throughout as well. Energetic, and with upside, I would scout heavily for players who combine high, high skill level with energy and grit-----higher energy guys who wont fall asleep at their desks while typing replies to posts about what sort of team they want to watch-----but they need to have a couple players who are first level scorers and another stud defenseman to go along with the few pieces they currently have.

As to the question regarding anyone after Vanek... no. I wouldn't mind having a couple of them <i>in addition</i> to him, but I don't mind his selection at this time. Now if there was a way to have both him and Coburn or Phaneuf...or Parise, lets talk.
I was about to type this verbatim. Although it seems rather utopian given our current predicament.

I want Ruutu and Tootoo!

Old
12-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Devo-2

Quote:

I really would have liked Phaneuf in particular (in addition to Vanek). He has a poor mans Scott Stevens look to him. Also, was anyone else hoping Darcy would have found a way to grab another pick in the first as Parise was sliding lower in the draft?

Old
12-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2
I really would have liked Phaneuf in particular (in addition to Vanek). He has a poor mans Scott Stevens look to him. Also, was anyone else hoping Darcy would have found a way to grab another pick in the first as Parise was sliding lower in the draft?
J_B and I were holding out that it might happen---it didn't.
:mad:

I could cut and paste my rant from last November, that I want a long-term building plan put into action with the team targeting specific young players from other teams with which to build around. They missed out on trying to force a Zhitnik-Satan for Williams-Pitkanen deal (thankfully for Clarke IMO). But that doesn't mean they can't target specific high-end youngsters from teams looking for this year's Butch Goring, the guy who'll get them over the hump and into the Finals, or from teams who have the talent but need to change. Satan is highest on the list for that sort of deal, but the proper sort of package timed properly might just land someone on the order of Svitov or Seminov...

No matter how things change, some things stay the same.

Old
12-23-2003, 12:36 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

i would like to see a team that has much more of a goalscoring identity
i've had enough of defense first hockey

as for the draft, vanek was my personal #1, so i like the pick
the two other guys that would have appeased me are suter and phaneuf

Old
12-23-2003, 07:28 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
J_B and I were holding out that it might happen---it didn't.
:mad:

I could cut and paste my rant from last November, that I want a long-term building plan put into action with the team targeting specific young players from other teams with which to build around. They missed out on trying to force a Zhitnik-Satan for Williams-Pitkanen deal (thankfully for Clarke IMO). But that doesn't mean they can't target specific high-end youngsters from teams looking for this year's Butch Goring, the guy who'll get them over the hump and into the Finals, or from teams who have the talent but need to change. Satan is highest on the list for that sort of deal, but the proper sort of package timed properly might just land someone on the order of Svitov or Seminov...

No matter how things change, some things stay the same.
Pitkanen wasn't part of the supposed deal.It was Woywitka and Williams.If it was Pitkanen,no doubt Regier would have jumped at that deal.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:49 PM
RattledSABRE

Is it just me or do we sit on our assets (no pun intended ) way too long in Sabreville?I mean the longer you sit on them some times they lose value completely.I mean who would want to take one of our goalies now?I'm sure somebody would take Miller but I don't think the Sabres would be wise to make that deal.I hope they would add a little more size and grit to this team.This team has talent but is far too undersized to make a run at anything.Any deal involving Satan,Brown,Z,etc. had better have young kids with size coming back.You know what they say bigger is better.

Old
12-24-2003, 02:30 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Pitkanen wasn't part of the supposed deal.It was Woywitka and Williams.If it was Pitkanen,no doubt Regier would have jumped at that deal.
Pitkanen was who Regier was holding out for according to what I've picked up. Regier tried to force it through and Clarke nix'd it.

Old
12-24-2003, 03:23 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I'd love for the Sabres to get the same identity of the NJ Devils.

I think Lou has the ideal blueprint for success in today's NHL.

Like Chain has said many times before, I would like to see David Conte if not the next Sabres GM, then the GM's right hand man.

Unless BTG can pry Lou himself out of the swamp of course.......

Old
12-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Puddy

[QUOTE=Jim Bob]I'd love for the Sabres to get the same identity of the NJ Devils.

Like Chain has said many times before, I would like to see David Conte if not the next Sabres GM, then the GM's right hand man.

My only concern is that the Jersey style of hockey doesn't sell tickets for the Devils, and if the Sabres can't attract fans, the Sabres will be goners. That being said, I would do anything to win the cup in Buffalo and if that is what it takes then go for it. I'm hopeful that the long-suffering fans would jump on the bandwagon once we were showing success in the playoffs.

Interesting that in the latest Hockey News, Lamoriello states the obvious in that what the Devils have done "over the last decade or so, is built our team from Marty (Brodeur) out". Maybe the Sabres can use that approach with Ryan Miller hopefully turning into the next Brodeur. All we need is to find the next Scott Stevens. We were close to the Cup with Hasek on board, but didn't have the foresight to see that it was necessary to sign Peca. It has been downhill for this franchise ever since.

Old
12-30-2003, 04:14 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
My only concern is that the Jersey style of hockey doesn't sell tickets for the Devils, and if the Sabres can't attract fans, the Sabres will be goners. That being said, I would do anything to win the cup in Buffalo and if that is what it takes then go for it. I'm hopeful that the long-suffering fans would jump on the bandwagon once we were showing success in the playoffs.
Personally, I think the Devils lack of attendance has more to do with Lou's old school approach to promoting the club and the fact that they play their games in the middle of nowhere.

Plus, the Devils and the Nets are the red headed step children in the sports landscape of the tristate area.

I think if you put that team in HSBC Arena that fans would be supporting that team a lot better than the current team.

Winning sells in Buffalo more than a style of play.

This team didn't play entertaining hockey while Dom was here, but they sold tickets because they won games.

Old
12-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy

Interesting that in the latest Hockey News, Lamoriello states the obvious in that what the Devils have done "over the last decade or so, is built our team from Marty (Brodeur) out". Maybe the Sabres can use that approach with Ryan Miller hopefully turning into the next Brodeur. All we need is to find the next Scott Stevens. We were close to the Cup with Hasek on board, but didn't have the foresight to see that it was necessary to sign Peca. It has been downhill for this franchise ever since.
It's not so much that Jersey's scouting has provided a boring style, that falls on development and coaching. They have however provided the Devils with a consistent talent pool to draw from when needing a replacement for current roster players or for trade ammunition when looking to make a deep playoff run.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:21 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
veteran leadership, average age of about 26/27 so fairly round.

1 marquee player, 1 bonefide no.1 defender and goalie.

defensive, high pressure, gritty. able to score about 230 goals in a season.

cap of about $35mill so a budget to cope with that. honest and honorable team. takes no **** from players like jagr.

just imho.

Closed Thread