HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MAB sent down to Toronto

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2003, 04:05 PM
  #26
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
personally, I want to see Luoma play at least a couple games, and I'd rather see Bergeron than Semenov go down, so I guess this is fine by me if Bergeron was gonna be sitting in the pressbox anyways.


Always nice to find out what you have in a guy like Luoma, at a time when you can shelter him, in case of injury or in case the team keeps on tanking it and then you move Smith.
I feel the same way.. likewise, his play hasn't been great lately (granted his ice time has been cut down big time) and we should at least take a look at Luoma this season.

Cerebral is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 04:53 PM
  #27
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Notes: Cory Cross, who picked up two assists in Edmonton's 6-2 win over the Canucks in Vancouver on Saturday night, was a late scratch. He's out day-to-day with back spasms and a hip injury. ... Oilers winger Ethan Moreau left the game in the second period and did not return after re-aggravating the strained right shoulder that forced him to miss one game earlier in the week. He's out day-to-day.
No one knows right now how long Cross is going to be out for even though the notes say day-to-day. Remember earlier in the season, Izzy had back spasms and missed 5 games. Anyone know about the hip injury Cross has that the notes mention. The hip injury could keep him out longer as we all know Salo missed a month and Mario Lemieux has been out with a hip injury since November 2 I believe.

Would any of you be comfortable with Semenov, Bergeron and Ferguson in the lineup daily if Cross is out for a lengthy time? I sure wouldn't

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 05:00 PM
  #28
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
No one knows right now how long Cross is going to be out for even though the notes say day-to-day. Remember earlier in the season, Izzy had back spasms and missed 5 games. Anyone know about the hip injury Cross has that the notes mention. The hip injury could keep him out longer as we all know Salo missed a month and Mario Lemieux has been out with a hip injury since November 2 I believe.

Would any of you be comfortable with Semenov, Bergeron and Ferguson in the lineup daily if Cross is out for a lengthy time? I sure wouldn't
and the answer is to have Semenov, Luoma and Ferguson instead. . Luoma is supposedly slow, even for the AHL. Maybe we really are going for Ovechkin.

 
Old
12-29-2003, 05:16 PM
  #29
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,920
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well, I liked what I saw from Luoma at camp. He isn't the fastest, no, but you know who Lowe likes bigger bodies. plus, if Bergeron was going to be scratched for some unfathomable reason, then I guess it's better he goes to Toronto and lights it up down there. I think people are to worried about sending down a guy who was (in the GM and coaches mind) our 6/7 Dman.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 05:53 PM
  #30
punk_o_holic
 
punk_o_holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N. Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Japan
Posts: 7,188
vCash: 500
As ppl suggested, maybe Smith is gonna be traded but instead of Luoma being the replacement. Maybe it's Ulanov. Perhaps Lowe doesn't want to throw around $$$ by signing Ulanov and see what he can do. So with that the case, Lowe sends down Bergeron who will be his defense partner and wants to see how those two play with each other.???? i dunno???

punk_o_holic is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 09:13 PM
  #31
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic
As ppl suggested, maybe Smith is gonna be traded but instead of Luoma being the replacement. Maybe it's Ulanov. Perhaps Lowe doesn't want to throw around $$$ by signing Ulanov and see what he can do. So with that the case, Lowe sends down Bergeron who will be his defense partner and wants to see how those two play with each other.???? i dunno???
Interesting proposal...it'd be just like the odd couple!! lol

Fayne Gretzky is online now  
Old
12-29-2003, 09:45 PM
  #32
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Anybody else get the feeling that the Oilers would put Paul Coffey in his prime in the pressbox right now so that a big lumbering career AHL player could get his shot? (After all, he was under 200 pounds...defencemen need to be huge, and they have to play the system perfectly!)

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic, but I feel with a lot of you guys. I really enjoy watching Bergeron play, and if the team as a whole is going to stink it up, why not put someone in the lineup that does something besides knock if off the glass and out?

Silver is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 03:20 AM
  #33
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
I wasn't happy with Bergy last game but never did I want him to be shipped to TO. I would have sent down Semenov first. Let's face, Bergeron has struggled but at least he plays with emotion. I'm not as outraged as some of you, but disappointed nonetheless.

I'm happy we'll get to see Luoma. I mean, some posters has said he has struggled but there must be a reason why he's being called up. As far as LT's comment about a trade, well that's got me concerned. I know that Smith is overpaid but man he's been a workhorse lately, especially against the likes of Bertuzzi and Iginla.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 05:29 AM
  #34
Luoma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
I don't think MAB will be in TO for long, he has the makings of a solid Oilers d-man. That being said I'm happy that Luoma may get a chance. He may have started off struggling, but from what I have heard he is getting used to the NA game and has improved greatly. From what I recall he is one of those players that plays better the bigger the challenge. Perhaps the switch isn't entirely based on skill. Luoma has several season, (playoffs and all) in SM-Liiga and has played under the media's faithful watch. It could just be that MAB needs a break from Edmonton. Now with any luck they will print up some sweaters with Luoma on the back. I share his last name and am too cheap to buy a customized one.

Luoma is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 05:33 AM
  #35
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Unless the GM decides he wants to make a roster move or two.
here are the words of the coach
Quote:
He's lost his confidence up here in our minds and we're not in a position right now where we can spoon-feed him ice time and try to get him to find his game," coach Craig MacTavish said. "We need somebody here right now who can move the puck.
You can read the entire article here

Oddly enough no mention of the GM.

 
Old
12-30-2003, 05:35 AM
  #36
Meanashell11
Registered User
 
Meanashell11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Greenwich CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
If we really want to see what we have lets bring up lynch and wrywonka (sp?). I am pretty much at the point where just for fun I would make some major changes on this team. I watched about 5 different games last night and as much as we all say we want to watch oiler hockey because it is entertaining, its not nearly as good as what I saw around the league last night. I really like what the Thrashers were doing. I think the Oiler defense play too far off the forwards, throw the puck too far back when they regroup, and the Oiler forwards do not look close to as fast as the atlanta forwards. I watch every single oiler game and believe me I like what I saw elsewhere last night so lets go for and bring up a ton from Toronto and lets see what we have.

Meanashell11 is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 05:44 AM
  #37
Oiltalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
You guys are making way too much of this. The main thing on Lowe's mind right now is to get the team out of a slump. Remember last year how well guys played when called up? It's because they didn't want to go back down. If Luoma brings that same attitude forward he could be a lot better than he was at camp.
How else did you expect Luoma to get his shot? Would rather see him play a few games than never give him the deserved chance. I believe Rita is about to get his chance as well.

Oiltalk is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 06:39 AM
  #38
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luoma
Now with any luck they will print up some sweaters with Luoma on the back. I share his last name and am too cheap to buy a customized one.
They had three on the discount rack at Kingsway the last time I was there - must have been left over from training camp.

*edit*
oops - just noticed you're in Ontario. I guess that doesn't help, then.

Allan is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 06:40 AM
  #39
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
You guys are making way too much of this. The main thing on Lowe's mind right now is to get the team out of a slump. Remember last year how well guys played when called up? It's because they didn't want to go back down. If Luoma brings that same attitude forward he could be a lot better than he was at camp.
How else did you expect Luoma to get his shot? Would rather see him play a few games than never give him the deserved chance. I believe Rita is about to get his chance as well.
Oiltalk, you said it best.

To add my 2 cents, MAB hasn't registered a point in over a month.

I'd rather see Woywitka or Lynch called up but Luoma is great at moving the puck. He deserves a shot.

Prediction: Oilers 3 - Wild 1
Conks gets the win, Luoma gets an assist on the PP.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 06:47 AM
  #40
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
Oiltalk, you said it best.

To add my 2 cents, MAB hasn't registered a point in over a month.
Bergeron had an assist in the Calgary 2 - 1 win. That was 2 days ago.

add:
Quote:
EDM, YORK (9) (OATES, BERGERON), 14:54
source: NHL.com


Last edited by ZIM: 12-30-2003 at 07:01 AM.
 
Old
12-30-2003, 07:41 AM
  #41
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Regarding MacT's comments about Bergeron losing his confidence:

I'd lose mine too if I was sitting in the pressbox so that a pylon could play. Interestingly enough, we seem to be able to spoon feed Salo playing time....

Silver is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 07:52 AM
  #42
coyote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Regarding MacT's comments about Bergeron losing his confidence:

I'd lose mine too if I was sitting in the pressbox so that a pylon could play. Interestingly enough, we seem to be able to spoon feed Salo playing time....
Not a good joice of words but not a bad decision at this time.

coyote is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 08:49 AM
  #43
Spearing47
Registered User
 
Spearing47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Not a good joice of words but not a bad decision at this time.
Just talked with him after RR morning skate.

-He's not happy with the decision but it comes at the right time for him.

- He'll take this more as an opportunity to come back stronger than a punishment.

-Oilers org wants to place him in a situation where he'll be dominant again.So his confidence will be up.

-The current situation is really tense and everybody plays out of their style , in this case nobody looks good.

-Coach Ward will put him on the ice the more he can. Lots of PP time, PK time too. +25 mins / game.

- Expect him to be back very soon.




That was a bit of the conversation. He took it well. It's for his good so.

And Luoma didn't look good this season for toronto. He's not really that ''puck moving D''....Don't expect too much. He's slow, not tough at all and doesn't see the ice as well as some said.

Thought this info could be interesting for you guys. Have a nice day

Spearing47 is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 08:55 AM
  #44
capta
Registered User
 
capta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to capta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Regarding MacT's comments about Bergeron losing his confidence:

I'd lose mine too if I was sitting in the pressbox so that a pylon could play. Interestingly enough, we seem to be able to spoon feed Salo playing time....

Geez....everytime Bergeron had the puck in our end I cringed. He was terrible at bringing the puck out, coughing it up numerous times. The demotion will do him good.

capta is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 09:13 AM
  #45
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Bergeron had an assist in the Calgary 2 - 1 win. That was 2 days ago.

add:
source: NHL.com

my bad...apologies

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 10:01 AM
  #46
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,920
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think it's a good idea. I liked what I saw out of Luoma instinct wise for at training camp for a guy who was probably very uncomfortable on and off the ice (not knowing the systems or any of the players either). Besides, I really think that some time to get lots of minutes and dominate in the AHL will be really good for Bergy. He hasn't played well at all, he's lost his confidence, you can tell as he isn't carrying the puck up the ice and makeing crisp hard passes to moving forwards like he was at the start of the year when he was one of our better Dmen.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 10:32 AM
  #47
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
My 3 favorite Oilers from last year were Comrie, Bergeron and Hemsky. I guess this means Hemsky is next. It's difficult to keep your interest up when the team gets rid of the players you watch.

The interesting question is whose decision was this. Dawgbone thinks it's someone other than the coach but won't name names. One of the rumors regarding MacT's summer signing was that he wanted more control, or was that less interference from above. Maybe it's all part of the bigger, tougher, slower plan.

add: while composing my reply Dawgbone seems to have implicated the GM. I'm still a non-believer
One of your favorite Oilers from last year is Bergeron? You must really have hated the rest of the team. A handful of games and 1 good hit. IMO this is a good move. Bergeron is shaky at best defensively. He makes more mistakes than he makes good plays. I like the kid - but he is at best an AHL quality defenseman. Lets face it - the Oilers are aweful on the back end that is why Ferguson, Bergeron, MAB have even had a shot. Luoma is older and IMO less likely to make dumb plays. Nothing is working right now - any change is good.

Walsher is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 01:06 PM
  #48
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capta
Geez....everytime Bergeron had the puck in our end I cringed. He was terrible at bringing the puck out, coughing it up numerous times. The demotion will do him good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Bergeron is shaky at best defensively. He makes more mistakes than he makes good plays. I like the kid - but he is at best an AHL quality defenseman. Lets face it - the Oilers are aweful on the back end that is why Ferguson, Bergeron, MAB have even had a shot. Luoma is older and IMO less likely to make dumb plays.
Before Bergeron sat, he was +3 and had the highest points per game among all the Dmen on this team. If Bergeron played in all the games this year, he would be leading the defence in points (pro-rating his stats). How is that a bad thing?

I've seen Semenov give the puck away right in front of the net way more than Bergeron. Their +/- is similar, their ice time is similar, yet Bergeron has 11 points and Semi has 2.

I hope this will be a short stint for Bergeron. He never should have sat so long. He was playing quite well before and now has lost some of his game (who hasn't on this team). I hope he can find his game and come back and contribute, but to knock his play is unjustified.

Cawz is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 02:28 PM
  #49
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
One of your favorite Oilers from last year is Bergeron? You must really have hated the rest of the team. A handful of games and 1 good hit. IMO this is a good move. Bergeron is shaky at best defensively. He makes more mistakes than he makes good plays. I like the kid - but he is at best an AHL quality defenseman. Lets face it - the Oilers are aweful on the back end that is why Ferguson, Bergeron, MAB have even had a shot. Luoma is older and IMO less likely to make dumb plays. Nothing is working right now - any change is good.
Hated the rest of the team? Not hardly. My dislikes were Cleary and Horcoff.

My posts in this thread say nothing about sending Bergeron down - good or bad. My question is who sent him - MacT or Lowe. If it was MacT - "We need somebody here right now who can move the puck" - and MacT thinks Luoma's the guy then we're in worse shape than I thought. Given that Lynch is 4th on the RR in points I'm wondering why it wasn't him.

If it was Lowe, as part of his bigger, stronger, slower program then Bergeron needs to look for another team because it's unlikely that he's going to grow anytime soon.

 
Old
12-30-2003, 03:02 PM
  #50
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
...but to knock his play is unjustified.
Not really. It can indeed be justified if we are discussing recent play.

In December, one player has 1 assist and is a -4 during that stretch while playing an average of 16 minutes per game.

In December, another player has 1 goal and is a +6 during that stretch while playing an average of 18 minutes per game.

Bergeron is player number 1. Semenov is player 2. Chalk it up to luck, bad bounces, etc. but Semenov has been playing better and has been given on average more minutes whether deserved or not.

momentai is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.