Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Erik Haula

Old
06-28-2007, 05:03 PM
ThinMcWhistle

vCash: 500
Erik Haula

Who's this guy? The article states he is in the same draft year as Rajala, and is just about as good. Never heard of him before.

7. Erik Haula (B-Junior, Assat)
5'8, 156 lbs/Born Febuary 23rd, 1991

A late surprise last season, Erik Haula's C-Junior debut as a 14 year-old was overshadowed by Rajala. However, as Haula's equal and even superior in the early rounds, there is no doubt competition at the top of the Finnish 1991 class. Haula's ability to both finish and create with aplomb make a dangerous weapon every shift.

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
hifk88

Haula is a very talented player from Pori. He was already one of the best players in B-juniors SM-liiga (mostly 89-90 borns) last season (13g+19a=32p). He's very good with the puck (hard to get it from him), has good hockey sense, skates pretty well, creates game & can finish also. I don't think he has any big weaknesses at this point... maybe he could be little more physical...

In the next season he's going to play with Ässät A-juniors. http://www.assat.com/f.jsp (click "JOUKKUE" & then "A-JUNIORIT")

Picture of him.

Btw. One year ago he was only 170cm (if i remember correctly), but now he's 180cm+something. So he has grown a lot in a year which is good...

Last edited by hifk88: 06-28-2007 at 06:24 PM.
hifk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

He's hitting a growthspurt kinda late isn't he?

I hope he turns out to be good

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 08:24 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifk88 View Post
Haula is a very talented player from Pori. He was already one of the best players in B-juniors SM-liiga (mostly 89-90 borns) last season (13g+19a=32p). He's very good with the puck (hard to get it from him), has good hockey sense, skates pretty well, creates game & can finish also. I don't think he has any big weaknesses at this point... maybe he could be little more physical...

In the next season he's going to play with Ässät A-juniors. http://www.assat.com/f.jsp (click "JOUKKUE" & then "A-JUNIORIT")

Picture of him.

Btw. One year ago he was only 170cm (if i remember correctly), but now he's 180cm+something. So he has grown a lot in a year which is good...

Wow, looks like 1991 is brewing up to be an amazing draft year for us Finns. Maybe we will have 2 first rounders in Rajala & Haula?

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNsKa View Post
Wow, looks like 1991 is brewing up to be an amazing draft year for us Finns. Maybe we will have 2 first rounders in Rajala & Haula?
More like 2 top 10'ers

Rajala could go 3rd overall that year. Both franchise players.

Old
06-29-2007, 04:08 AM
edd1e

-91 and -92 age group are starting to look like -83 which is great. Haula getting height is great to hear, that factor might put him closer to first draft pick than Rajala.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Faktisti*

mayby these 88-90 age groups were just bad and now its getting better with 91- age groups

Faktisti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
More like 2 top 10'ers

Rajala could go 3rd overall that year. Both franchise players.
Hmmm, lets not get too carried away. Remember the day when Joensuu was supposed to challenge for the #1 spot, but was a surefire top 5? Maybe we should still wait a bit more before saying anyone has franchise-possibilities...

Diaboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Panopticon

Yeah, let's at least wait until these guys play full seasons in A-juniors and U18 WJCs.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 03:05 AM
Juhi50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faktisti* View Post
mayby these 88-90 age groups were just bad and now its getting better with 91- age groups
I think thats right but i dont think that 88 was bad.

Juhi50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 02:12 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

My interest has been growing in these two players over the past few months (as well as Pulkkinen, but that is neither here nor there). Is there any new news on Rajala and Haula? I've been looking for some video of these 3 for a while, but have come up with nothing, unfortunately... nevertheless, I like what I've heard about them. I'd like to add that none of these boys have the size that joensuu had, which he used to dominate as a younger player. That in my opinion is a good sign for them; I agree it may be too early to be 'hyping' them, but it's at least not too early to talk. I wish them all luck and success at the highest level.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
My interest has been growing in these two players over the past few months (as well as Pulkkinen, but that is neither here nor there). Is there any new news on Rajala and Haula?
Not really, it seems like Rajala will be playing with A-Juniors(they are all the way up to 20y boys), he could be playing in B-Juniors as well because of his young age, but I think he can make A's already. Pulkkinen will be playing in B-Juniors while he is still technically C-Juniors age. Haula isn't getting much coverage, but I would guess that he would be playing in A-juniors as well if he is so talented as Rajala is.

edit:One new news is that Rajala will be playing in a cup 14-18.8 with finnish team in Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup(U-18 Tournament while Rajala is one year younger than 90%+ of players).

Last edited by Joretus: 08-03-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 06:12 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Not really, it seems like Rajala will be playing with A-Juniors(they are all the way up to 20y boys), he could be playing in B-Juniors as well because of his young age, but I think he can make A's already. Pulkkinen will be playing in B-Juniors while he is still technically C-Juniors age. Haula isn't getting much coverage, but I would guess that he would be playing in A-juniors as well if he is so talented as Rajala is.

edit:One new news is that Rajala will be playing in a cup 14-18.8 with finnish team in Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup(U-18 Tournament while Rajala is one year younger than 90%+ of players).
Thanks so much for the information, Joretus. It sounds like so far they're progressing nicely... I don't think they should have problems handling the play at their new levels respectively. Is it common for younger players to be playing at higher levels in the Finnish leagues, as you suspect these three will be doing? I'm going to assume this is a similar route that Joensuu took, and the reason he was so highly touted previous to his slight falter. At any rate, I don't see any of these guys having their competition "catch up to them" the way it did to Joensuu, because it's not as if they have huge size advantages over their competition as Joensuu did. Rather it would appear they're just superiorly talented in comparison.
Overall, being across seas, I'm doing as best as possible to keep tabs on them and wish them tons of luck and success.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
Is it common for younger players to be playing at higher levels in the Finnish leagues, as you suspect these three will be doing?
Yes it's. It typical for talented players to play against 1-2(or even 3 years when coming to 16-20y)year older players. Even I did play always against 1y older players as junior. There isn't so wide talentpool in Finland than there is in ie. Canada, so best way to have good enough challenge is against older players. Then again it's same situation in Canada in major junior(WHL, QMJHL, OHL).

Old
08-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
-91 and -92 age group are starting to look like -83 which is great. Haula getting height is great to hear, that factor might put him closer to first draft pick than Rajala.
I don't understand why people are hyping -83's so much? I looked at the 2001 draft... nothing so special... Just Tuomo Ruutu.

Old
08-13-2007, 02:44 PM
edd1e

Quote:
I don't understand why people are hyping -83's so much? I looked at the 2001 draft... nothing so special... Just Tuomo Ruutu.
83 are Kari Lehtonen, Tuomo Ruutu, Joni Pitkänen, Mikko Koivu, Jussi Jokinen just to name few.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
83 are Kari Lehtonen, Tuomo Ruutu, Joni Pitkänen, Mikko Koivu, Jussi Jokinen just to name few.
Ohh... I was looking at the 2001 draft only... 2002 draft was Lehtonen and Pitkanen. my bad. I forgot about the post-september birthdays. Toivonen, Filpulla, Niinimaki... wow.. great year.

Old
08-15-2007, 06:18 AM
kovy-hawa

Quote:
I think mikko koivu is a better player then tuomu ruutu right now, or he was last season

kovy-hawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:49 AM
JFA87-66-99

Does Erik Haula have the potential to be better than Rajala,Pulkkinen,Granlund, etc?

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Does Erik Haula have the potential to be better than Rajala,Pulkkinen,Granlund, etc?
No, it doesn't seem so.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Korkki

But I won't be surprised if he gets drafted ahead of Rajala. There is a little matter that scouts do appreciate. It is playing in a junior league with three letters...

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 07:49 AM
kynen

Haula got a mention in THN hotlist: The Hot List: A Finn in Minny

Interesting since I didn't even know he existed!

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Savolainen

Didn't heard anything about him a long time now but thats really some great news.
Hopefully a first rounder!

Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
zecke26

a small report about haula.

Quote:
Erik Haula was the player I was most interested in seeing for Shattuck, as he is projected as a potential first round draft pick this summer. Haula was his team's best forward, and a talented player, but not as dominant as you might expect. Still, he scored a beautiful overtime goal against Malmo, and did a lot of little things very well. He still needs to add a lot of strength, which could hold him back a little in terms of the draft, but still a very nice player.
http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot...it-report.html

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:18 AM
travellingman345

He was taken by the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL Import Draft. I hope he shows potential and can make the team. Calgary may lose a lot of talented players this year. Already gone are Bortis, McMillan and Seabrook (overage). Sonne, Broda, Posta, Plante could also be gone as they have pro contracts and are also 20 year olds. Lots of holes to fill for the Hitmen.

travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote