HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I am starting to support a Smyth trade

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 12:36 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
I am starting to support a Smyth trade

Do you think the Oilers could get a guy in return for Smyth that would score as many goals, but by playing a different style of game? Watching him last night and other times this season, he isn't playng the way he should be. He isn't sharp out there and I worry that he isn't getting any better. But what would trading Smyth do? Would it mess up the locker room and put everyone on edge? If Smyth can be traded, ANYONE can be traded.

Old
12-29-2003, 12:43 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Do you think the Oilers could get a guy in return for Smyth that would score as many goals, but by playing a different style of game? Watching him last night and other times this season, he isn't playng the way he should be. He isn't sharp out there and I worry that he isn't getting any better. But what would trading Smyth do? Would it mess up the locker room and put everyone on edge? If Smyth can be traded, ANYONE can be traded.

I agree with your assesment of Smyth, at times it looks like his heart isn't in it anymore, he overskates the puck a lot, passes are one good, one bad, the Staios thing, I dunno, maybe Ryan needs a change of scenery and he is probably the only guy who can get us a bonafide NHL'er today who can put the puck in the net....I could see a Smyth+Smith+one of our 1st rounders in 2004 or Prospect (Rita/Salmo/Puliot combo) gone for a PLAYER should the Oilers manage to continue along this path of futility.

Old
12-29-2003, 12:44 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Why not trade smyth. I think two of Torres, Isbister, Mikhinov or Rita will eventually develop into top two line left wingers (and York, Chimera, and Moreau all can play left). Since that position is a place of strength, why not trade the left winger with the most value to shore up a weakness?

Old
12-29-2003, 12:45 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
I could see a Smyth+Smith+one of our 1st rounders in 2004 or Prospect (Rita/Salmo/Puliot combo) gone for a PLAYER should the Oilers manage to continue along this path of futility.
If that combo gives us Lecavalier, I'm all for it.

Old
12-29-2003, 12:50 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
too much togive up for a guy who only shows up one out of every 2 or 3 games...You;re trading your only vets that are actually producing at all, albeit Smyth a little less than everyone would like, plus you're trading another huge building block for the future in that 1st or the prospect depending on which one it is....

Old
12-29-2003, 12:54 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
too much togive up for a guy who only shows up one out of every 2 or 3 games...You;re trading your only vets that are actually producing at all, albeit Smyth a little less than everyone would like, plus you're trading another huge building block for the future in that 1st or the prospect depending on which one it is....
So Smyth has 9 goals right now...you know who else has 9 goals? Dean McAmmond for one. Jason Arnott for another.

What are the Oilers paying Smyth right now?

Old
12-29-2003, 12:56 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
Perhaps. But Lecavalier is a guy who has the potential to score 100 points, and at worst, will probably be our first line centre. I don't see Smyth or Smith in our long range plans, but I do see the need for a first line centre.

Old
12-29-2003, 01:11 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Perhaps. But Lecavalier is a guy who has the potential to score 100 points, and at worst, will probably be our first line centre. I don't see Smyth or Smith in our long range plans, but I do see the need for a first line centre.
That's assuming T-Bay would move Lecavallier which I don't think they will.. it seems to me like all these Vincent rumours are being created by fans of teams and are really being blown out of proportion!

Old
12-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
That's assuming T-Bay would move Lecavallier which I don't think they will.. it seems to me like all these Vincent rumours are being created by fans of teams and are really being blown out of proportion!
I think Lecavlier could be traded, especially if he keeps having problems with John Tortorella & with Jay Feaster on the coaches side it could ultimately lead to a Vincent Lecavlier trade. I dont want Ryan Smyth to be traded, he's what an Oiler should be, he's been the heart & soul of this hockey club for several years, if the Oilers trade him then it WILL put everybody on an edge & we'll be inconsistent & wont be producing much, it'll be too big a change. Jason Smith on the other hand will be traded unless he signs a contact extension by March, if he doesn't, then he'll find himself on another team by the trade deadline.

Old
12-29-2003, 01:25 PM
jadeddog

ok i know we're not playing well and all, but trading our (arguably) best player over the past 4 seasons is NOT the way to fix it..... everybody has to realize that smyth is still relatively young even at 27..... i still think this team could be decent next year (maybe even this year more towards the end of the season) .... why trade one of the only players who has consistantly brought a good game?? to me this doesnt make sense..... i think moving smith is a much better move IMO (though i dont like that move either really)

Old
12-29-2003, 01:29 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
ok i know we're not playing well and all, but trading our (arguably) best player over the past 4 seasons is NOT the way to fix it..... everybody has to realize that smyth is still relatively young even at 27..... i still think this team could be decent next year (maybe even this year more towards the end of the season) .... why trade one of the only players who has consistantly brought a good game?? to me this doesnt make sense..... i think moving smith is a much better move IMO (though i dont like that move either really)
Who do you think would bring in a better offensive player? Smyth, or Smith? Hell, move them both if you have to, but the bottom line is that Smyth isn't playing good enough. So he scores garbage goals, and that is fine, but I think the Oilers would benefit more by trading Smyth for a guy that scores nice goals, but makes better plays that Ryan does.

Old
12-29-2003, 01:42 PM
krooky

Definitely trade him. Everyone in the league thinks he's way better than he is so the Oil could get a big piece to the puzzle in a trade. Plus I'm starting to wonder about this kid. He got into it with Sean Brown a couple years ago, then with Gator at training camp last year and now Staios? Maybe he's not the great team guy eveyone makes him out to be.

Old
12-29-2003, 01:50 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooky
Definitely trade him. Everyone in the league thinks he's way better than he is so the Oil could get a big piece to the puzzle in a trade. Plus I'm starting to wonder about this kid. He got into it with Sean Brown a couple years ago, then with Gator at training camp last year and now Staios? Maybe he's not the great team guy eveyone makes him out to be.
What was wrong with the fight? I thought it was good. And who is to say that Staios and Smyth didn't decide to do this themselves just to spark their team? That isn't as far fetched an idea as it may seem.

Old
12-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Rooks Oilers

I will NEVER support a Ryan Smyth trade! Why you ask?

1. The guy was thrown in at the center position and had to learn to adjust there. Call me stupid but I've noticed a better Ryan when playing his natural position at Left Wing.

2. MacT can't leave a line combo together if his damn life depended on it! My god I think I can recall Smytty playing on the fourth line with BG and Horcoff!

Sorry but I am a HUGE Smyth supporter, and I think you'll see a better Smytty in the next few games playing with Oates and Isbister (if MacT leaves them together)

Just my two cents worth

Rooks Oilers

Old
12-29-2003, 03:03 PM
GorillazXL

Trading Smyth would not solve our problem, neither is trading our future prospects. J.Smith with his career season would bring back quite a bit, package him with Philly's #1 would be very tempting for a lot of teams that reaquire a stalwart on defence...teams like Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington... Edmonton...wait a minute. The thing to consider is that we have two possibly three prospects (Lynch and Woywitka, and maybe Greene - though a season in the AHL would do him good) that can probally step it up into the big leagues next year. Though its a shame to see our best dman go.

GXL

Old
12-29-2003, 04:16 PM
CementCo

Trading Smyth

I think Ryan Smyth is a very good hockey player. Is he earning his current contract - I'm not sure. I think he would be a dynamite player on a team that is more balanced than the current Oilers. So, if trading Ryan Smyth helps bring a potential star like Lecavalier, you do it. Star players are rare commodities indeed and when they come available - take the leap. If we have to overpay a little bit, so be it.
I wouldn't mind a trade like Smyth and Brewer for Lecavalier and Kubina. If needed we can also add Rita or Philly's 1st rounder. Let's just get a deal done.

Old
12-29-2003, 04:29 PM
krooky

Quote:
What was wrong with the fight? I thought it was good. And who is to say that Staios and Smyth didn't decide to do this themselves just to spark their team? That isn't as far fetched an idea as it may seem.

I would'nt have a problem with it if this was the first time something like this happened. However, this is the third time this has occured in the last three or four years involving the same kid. Maybe there is something to be said about that.

Old
12-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooky
well considering his style of play, it's destined to happen. i wouldnt worry about it.

Old
12-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Lowetide

I remember about 1984 the Montreal Expos were supposed to win the NL pennant. They finished way back, because:

1. Al Oliver was too slow at first base and lost all his power,

2. Doug Flynn couldn't field at second and hit .180 with no power,

3. Shortstop was a revolving door with no one any good at all,

4. Tim Wallach at third let everything go through his legs,

5. Andre Dawson got hurt,

6. Tim Raines had cocaine in his pocket for "between pitch use",

7. The pitching staff fell apart due to injury/age.

You know what they did?

They traded Gary Carter! The one guy who was any good, dealt him away for a 90 pound centefielder, a 250 pound shortstop and a kid with a good arm.

Point being, we shouldn't trade Ryan Smyth. We should be putting together a package of draft picks, fine role players and prospects for a guy who can help, OR, just wait for draft day.

No on Smyth.

Old
12-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
If that combo gives us Lecavalier, I'm all for it.

I'd ask for Lecav and Sarich...

Old
12-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Don Smoove

Send a message via MSN to Don Smoove
I don't like Smyth either, off with his head! He's a good player but I don't think he's what the Oilers need. Put it like this, would you rather have Smyth or Bertuzzi, Smyth or Sundin, Smyth or Alfreddson? The list goes on. Besides, i'm tired of Smyth thinking he's a sniper.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:44 AM
camboy

I would support a Smyth or Smyth and Smith trade if the return included at least one of the following:

Lecavalier
Richards
Havlat
Bonk
Blackburn +
Boynton +

Old
12-30-2003, 08:55 AM
future consideration

Smyth and Laraque for Havlat? Move Havlat to LW?

Old
12-30-2003, 08:59 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDon
I don't like Smyth either, off with his head! He's a good player but I don't think he's what the Oilers need. Put it like this, would you rather have Smyth or Bertuzzi, Smyth or Sundin, Smyth or Alfreddson? The list goes on. Besides, i'm tired of Smyth thinking he's a sniper.
Based on the Oilers budget, the only one of the 3 I would rather have is Alfreddson.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:02 AM
Don Smoove

Send a message via MSN to Don Smoove
The point I was trying to make though was that, Smyth is our highest paid forward, that means he should be our best forward right?

Closed Thread