HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft

Old
06-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Hydrowing

vCash: 500
All-Time Draft

If you were to draft any player from any era, and lets say they were all 18, who do you think would be the top 30 players chosen in the draft.

Hydrowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 11:26 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
knowing full well how their careers would go, or judging by how good they were as 18 year olds? (this makes a big difference for a prodigy like Lindros, or a relative unknown like Roy)

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 11:42 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

why 18? in their prime:

Hull - Gretzky - Lafleur
Lemieux - Beliveau - Richard
Messier - Yzerman - Howe
Lindsay - Morenz - Bossy
Mikita

Shore - Orr
Harvey - Bourque
Potvin - Robinson
Coffey

Plante
Sawchuk
Roy

but, on second thought, to win a championship, the following team could kick their *beep* don't you think?

Kharlamov - Trottier - Jagr
Forsberg - Sakic - Esposito
Gainey - Clarke - Kurri
Shanahan - Carbonneau - Neely
Geoffrion

Savard - MacInnis
Lidstrom - Chelios
Park - Stevens
Kelly

Hasek
Hall
Brodeur

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 12:56 AM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
why 18? in their prime:

Hull - Gretzky - Lafleur
Messier - Yzerman - Howe
Lindsay - Morenz - Bossy
Mikita

Shore - Orr
Harvey - Bourque
Potvin - Robinson
Coffey

Plante
Sawchuk
Roy

but, on second thought, to win a championship, the following team could kick their *beep* don't you think?

Gainey - Clarke - Kurri
Geoffrion

Savard - MacInnis
Lidstrom - Chelios
Park - Stevens
Kelly

Hasek
Hall
Brodeur
I don't think they would, unless Hasek really stood on his head. At first clance it appears as though your second team has an advantage due to checking and defensive forwards. However, I honestly think that if you mix up the lines a little bit Lindsay-Yzerman-Howe are as good of a defensive unit as Gainey-Clarke-Kurri. I think the first team wins in 5. Orr and Gretzky would have the puck for 50 minutes. And that all french line...

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 01:03 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
why 18? in their prime:

Hull - Gretzky - Lafleur
Messier - Yzerman - Howe
Lindsay - Morenz - Bossy
Mikita

Shore - Orr
Harvey - Bourque
Potvin - Robinson
Coffey

Plante
Sawchuk
Roy

Gainey - Clarke - Kurri
Geoffrion

Savard - MacInnis
Lidstrom - Chelios
Park - Stevens
Kelly

Hasek
Hall
Brodeur
I don't think I would pick that second team to win, but damn, I would pay all the cash I earn for the rest of my life to see that series.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 01:12 AM
raleh

I'd love to see Horton on the second team though. Maybe ditch Savard, move Park up to play with MacInnis and then put Horton with Stevens! Imagine how terrified Morenz would be cutting across the blue line!

Old
07-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I think King Clancy would be a better choice than MacInnis for that second team.

Milt Schmidt or Ted Kennedy over Carbonneau? Much better offensive players and both great checkers in their own right.

Andy Bathgate over Forsberg? Move Sakic to the LW, Espo to the center and Bathgate to the RW - or slot in Boom Boom and make Andy the extra forward. Bathgate, in addition to being a superstar and Hart trophy winner, was also a vicious fighter.

Yeah, Tim Horton over Savard, and maybe sit Stevens or Park in favor of the highly underrated Red Kelly.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 04:38 PM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I think King Clancy would be a better choice than MacInnis for that second team.

Milt Schmidt or Ted Kennedy over Carbonneau? Much better offensive players and both great checkers in their own right.

Andy Bathgate over Forsberg? Move Sakic to the LW, Espo to the center and Bathgate to the RW - or slot in Boom Boom and make Andy the extra forward. Bathgate, in addition to being a superstar and Hart trophy winner, was also a vicious fighter.

Yeah, Tim Horton over Savard, and maybe sit Stevens or Park in favor of the highly underrated Red Kelly.
I think that what Van was trying to do was make a team of playoff warriors and guys who would do whatever it takes to win. Van knows his hockey, and I don't think he would consider Carbo a better all around player than Teeder or Schmidt. I think he was trying to make a point about how a team with tons of heart could beat a more talented team, especially in a 7 games series. Forsberg is one of those type of guys. Over 82 games I might take Bathgate over Forsberg, but come playoff time it's a different story.

Old
07-24-2007, 05:40 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

My point is that the top players at each position wouldn't necessary combine 20+ to make the best team to win in the playoffs.

Of course the first team I mention is full of higher ranked players in the history of the game, but when I imagine a 7-game playoff series, I see them as beatable.

Trottier, Forsberg, Clarke, Carbonneau, MacInnis, Chelios, Stevens, Hasek may not make the roster of the best-players-assembled roster but that damn well feels wrong when you imagine them on top of their game doing what they do, especially come playoff time (when it matters).

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote