HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Jovo to Rangers

Old
06-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
This is stupid.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
A sufficient link to a source has not been given.

Therefore, based on the amount of discussion, this is a proposal, not a rumor.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:29 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I can't imagine Maloney getting rid of Mueller. Coyotes are beyond offense starved and they give away their top offensive prospect 3 months before he makes his debut in the NHL? That just doesn't seem very likely. If he traded both Jovo and Mueller for Montoya, I think I'd literally be sick to my stomach!!

I'm thinking the more likely scenario is Yotes giveup Jovo and get Montoya plus someone useless but making lots of money.
I like Jovo, but not for 6.5 over the next 5 years.

You'd be LUCKY for someone to take that cap hit off your hands and you expect the Rangers to trade you Montoya AND something else for that contract?

Sather would have to be an idiot to do that, and for all the bashing I send Sather's way, this is not a trade he makes now or while he was with Edmonton. Sather's not going to take on that salary unless he's getting something else in return for it.

Maybe Montoya for Jovo and the 2009 Phoenix 1st? Otherwise, enjoy the contract and 50/50 chance that Jovo regains his old form.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Chimp

When someone is considered an albatross, and one of the most overpaid players in the league, per defintion you dont get a good return if you trade him.

I would never give away Montoya for an albatross and neither would Sather. This is like Islanders trying to trade away Yashin for something in return, before they bought him out, only less worse.

Now Jovanovski might turn out to be a player again on a better team, but a $6.5 million player? Probably never. Phoenix owns the problem, not NYR, remember that.

Last edited by Chimp: 06-29-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:27 AM
ukyote

Send a message via MSN to ukyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
Except for Phoenix Mueller is more valuable to us. We are desperate for forward prospects. We can not afford to give them away. I am sure Montoya will be a good goalie someday but not for Phoenix at the expense of our top forward prospects.

Edit: I am not saying that Montoya isn't worth a lot but when was the last time Phoenix developed a elite forward prospect? If you are having a hard time thinking about it that is your answer. We HAVE to keep Mueller/Hanzel/Wheeler/Turris because we are desperate!
This is basically the bottom line. Yotes fans get a lot of hassle for 'undervaluing' other teams' prospects, but the reality is that we can't afford to be chucking away good young forwards (for whom we have none) for goalie PROSPECTS when we sort of need goaltending now. Montoya will be a good player some day, but the sorts of trades you Rangers fans have been proposing are reminiscent of what the old style management would have done.

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:29 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
if malik is going the other way this isn't a complete tragedy.
yes it would be. i wouldn't trade malik for jovo straight up no less toss in montoya. i don't care how much you hate malik. if you think injury-prone jovo @ $6 mil/year for the next 4 years makes more sense then malik @ $2 mil for 1 year then you are nuts.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:30 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Yes, Maloney said it...if a team wanted the #3 overall...they'd have to take Boynton as part of the trade....maybe it was a rumor.....but if this Jovo rumor is getting credence then you have to give this one MUCH more because it makes ence in the new NHL.
there is a HUGE difference between saying that if a team wants the #3 pick they have to take boyton's contract ON TOP of giving up the entire farm. and saying that they are willing to toss in the #3 if someone will take boynton.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:31 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Dear god you dont **** with Coyote fans like that. You just dont.

Source please. PLEASE. Make it true god. Make it true!
Yote fans dont like Jovo?

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:34 AM
ukyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Yote fans dont like Jovo?
$6.5 / year (for another 4 years I think) and probably 3rd or 4th best D on the team last year.

Old
06-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Can't understand the Coyotes. They have what on paper looks like a great defense with three recent all-stars on their blueline and a couple of really talented youngsters. Is Gretzky the problem, or have Jovo, Morris and Boynton really slipped badly in the new NHL?

I could see one, maybe two slip, but all three, and all relatively young makes me think there's more to this than simply not being able to adapt to the new NHL.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 06-29-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Well, you can't seem to wrap your mind around the fact that Mueller is a great center prospect and was ready last year, but will be on the team this year. Where I think I lose you is the fact that while both are unproven, it makes more sense to keep the forward that you drafted and know is good enough for the NHL, than to trade for a goalie who may or may not have what it takes to be a #1 goalie in the NHL. And Montoya is not a franchise goalie. Mueller is another Brad Richards in the making. I'll keep him.
My goodness this post is laughable.

The whole, "Your prospect sucks but mine is better" thing that you apparently have here is just hysterical.

I like how Mueller is a franchise center prospect but Montoya is somehow not a franchise goaltender and maybe not even good enough to be a #1 for you.

What a ****ing joke.

Apparently no deal is good enough for you unless your team rips off the other team. Just another homer around here, I guess.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I can't imagine Maloney getting rid of Mueller. Coyotes are beyond offense starved and they give away their top offensive prospect 3 months before he makes his debut in the NHL? That just doesn't seem very likely. If he traded both Jovo and Mueller for Montoya, I think I'd literally be sick to my stomach!!

I'm thinking the more likely scenario is Yotes giveup Jovo and get Montoya plus someone useless but making lots of money.
We have no one that's "useless but making lots of money" who we'd trade.

Kaspar is not getting moved. The Rangers make boatloads of money and can afford to have him in the minors helping the kids out.

Old
06-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyote View Post
This is basically the bottom line. Yotes fans get a lot of hassle for 'undervaluing' other teams' prospects, but the reality is that we can't afford to be chucking away good young forwards (for whom we have none) for goalie PROSPECTS when we sort of need goaltending now. Montoya will be a good player some day, but the sorts of trades you Rangers fans have been proposing are reminiscent of what the old style management would have done.
If you can't "afford" to ante up and give to get, than keep Jovo and his contract and deal with it.

Old
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
ukyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
If you can't "afford" to ante up and give to get, than keep Jovo and his contract and deal with it.
Errrm yep, that's pretty much what every Yotes fan is expecting to do!

Old
06-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Errrm yep, that's pretty much what every Yotes fan is expecting to do!
Fine with me.

Old
06-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Can't understand the Coyotes. They have what on paper looks like a great defense with three recent all-stars on their blueline. Is Gretzky the problem, or have Jovo, Morris and Boynton really slipped badly in the new NHL?

I could see one, maybe two slip, but all three, and all relatively young makes me think there's more to this than simply not being able to adapt to the new NHL.
Jovanovski was always a dual threat, but in a different sense. He could kill the other team with his offensive abilities, and could kill his own team with his lack of defensive abilities. In a fairly talented system like he had in Vancouver and Florida, his flaws were hidden well enough that his offensive numbers stuck out, and made him an All-Star.

Morris never was the same after he got injured a few years ago. He still has a rocket from the point, but is at best a second pairing defenseman. As for Boynton, about all he gives you now is toughness and grit.

Zbynek Michalek is their future #1 Defenseman, and in fact, he's almost there.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 09:21 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
$6.5 / year (for another 4 years I think) and probably 3rd or 4th best D on the team last year.
He was easily their best, most noticable defenceman when he was suited up. Easy.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
He was easily their best, most noticable defenceman when he was suited up. Easy.
I thought Ballard was when I watched them.

Still like Pitkanen better though

06-29-2007, 09:44 AM
ukyote

Quote:
No he wasn't! Especially not when you factor in his contract... Ballard and Z both stand out over Jovo.

Old
06-29-2007, 09:55 AM
HoosierDaddy

Yotes and the Rangers will not trade. If I recall, the Rangers offered the Yotes the their remaining drafts pick for on of Phoenix 1st draft choices (@ 30) and Maloney chose to reach for Nick Ross. In order to make the trade more palatable to MAloney I would offer

NYR: Monty/Malik/Prucha (who I love) or Dawes

YOTES: Jovo/Mueller/2nd or 1st

Yotes get a potential franchise goalie, a solid Dman (salary equalizer) and a scoring forward.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
btw, Mueller ranked 13th in the WHL for scoring, with his 78 points, thats 7 points FEWER than another Coyotes prospect, Hanzal....but yeah, Montoya, " a goalie who may or may not have what it takes to be a #1 goalie in the NHL" whereas Mueller, is good enough for the NHL.
Not tryin to burst your bubble but....

Hanzal: 60GP - 26G - 59A - 85PTS

Mueller: 51GP - 21G - 57A - 78PTS

The leading Scorer Hamill, played in 69 Games and cranked 93 points. I understand what you argument is and Montoya could very well be the goalie version of Mueller or Hanzal but most of us would rather hold on to our young'uns. Besides, Maloney stated he would not move any young talent to get a goalie so take that for what it's worth. I also do understand you need to give to get but in this case, I wouldn't want to give for Montoya. Also, which has been stated before we have Leneveu which kind of takes the luster off of Montoya as they both have been stellar in the AHL and Leneveu hasn't been given a good shot yet at the NHL level yet. So, to offer assets for a similar type player(Accomplishments and such) just doesn't make us too happy, which is think the argument X is trying to say but he's just do not really "saying" it.

As for Jovo to the Rangers, seems like speculation at this point and lord knows I'd be psyched to be rid of that contract but it just doesn't seem to fit, even with Maloney's connections to the Rangers.

P.S. As much as I would hate to put the "untouchable" label on anyone, Mueller is about as close as it gets.

P.S.S. As far the proposal above mine, no thank you.

Last edited by BuddehJuS: 06-29-2007 at 10:22 AM.
BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 10:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

To Yotes: Montoya, Immomen, Malik

To Rangers: Mueller/Hanzal and Jovo

Yotes will have to give to lose that Jovo contract.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 10:35 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
To Yotes: Montoya, Immomen, Malik

To Rangers: Mueller/Hanzal and Jovo

Yotes will have to give to lose that Jovo contract.
Frigin brutal, that's worse then the rumors of Wallin, Babchuk and the all important 2nd round pick for Pitkanen.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Frigin brutal, that's worse then the rumors of Wallin, Babchuk and the all important 2nd round pick for Pitkanen.
I agree, but if they want out of Jovos deal they will have to be very generous on the return?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 10:45 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I agree, but if they want out of Jovos deal they will have to be very generous on the return?
Not nessicarily. unlike the NJ salary dump trade where they had to give up a 1st last year to get a useless salary that would have pushed them over the cap taken off their hands Jovo is still at least a usefull player. At worst I would see them having to give up a mid-level prospect and having to take on a major salary (Malik would work there).

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote