HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

would you bring in ryan smyth if you cant find a 2nd center?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2007, 02:35 PM
  #26
Yizee*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
screw ryan smyth we all know how edmonton players play like on the rangers - the 2 top free agents the Rangers need to go after are Paul Kariya and Sheldon Souray - I dont care if they need a center they will find one but getting Kariya and Souray will be huge

Yizee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 03:03 PM
  #27
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee* View Post
screw ryan smyth we all know how edmonton players play like on the rangers - the 2 top free agents the Rangers need to go after are Paul Kariya and Sheldon Souray - I dont care if they need a center they will find one but getting Kariya and Souray will be huge

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 09:04 PM
  #28
slim399
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Smyth makes no sense at all. The last thing we need is another wing. If you add Smyth to the mix...niether prucha or dawes has a spot on the top 3 lines. I am still trying to figure out a way for dawes to get into the mix. The only way I would look at Smyth is if for some odd reason shanahan decided to retire... which isn't going to happen.

Worst comes to worst we end up with a team similar to last year and our kids come up mid season or we move Montoya for a center. The last thing we need to do is sign a wing to a 6M+ contract for 4-5 years. Yeah hes a great player- but it just doesn't make sense.

We don't have room for dawes now... just think of when Bourret and Korpikoski are ready mid season or next year. Plus don't forget our new boy Cherepanov might be ready to go next year.

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 09:12 PM
  #29
gers*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i was thinking the same

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 09:39 PM
  #30
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,429
vCash: 500
I'd have no problem adding Ryan Smyth. Just stick him in front of the net, and everything will be fine.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 10:20 PM
  #31
NYR fan 2
Registered User
 
NYR fan 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,806
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and I raised the same issues on day 1, but in this cap era, you have to be creative and you're not always going to be able to have Gomez centering Jagr and Straka and Drury centering Shanny and Avery. Sometimes you're going to have that guy playing the second line (like a Cullen), with guys like Smyth and Shanny with Dubinsky on a third line.

Sound like mumble jumble? To break it down, it comes down to getting the best guys that fit best on your team at the right price. If a second line centerman is out of the Rangers' price range (and honestly, Drury as a second line centerman getting paid $6MM+ in a salary cap era? Can that even be done? Does that make sense long-term?), then the Rangers may need to seek other solutions.

And by the way, I totally agree that Cullen isn't a second line centerman. But if he centered Smyth and Shanahan, does that float his boat higher and can that work into the Rangers' fray while remaining cap flexible and filling other holes while still looking long term? Did Shanny show us that he can score without a playmaker, and has Smyth shown he can work hard for his goals and doesn't need pretty setups? I think you need to be creative in this era, and I don't think you will always be afforded the ability to play your 12 forward in the perfect role in which they're suited.
Yeah I tend to agree with you Fletch. I think Smyth would be a signing that helps the team in more than one because he adds goals as well toughness to the team, something the Rangers sorely lack.

Hossa/Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Smyth-Cullen-Shanahan
Avery-Straka-Callahan
Prucha/Hossa-Betts-Orr/Hollweg

Or you could move Hossa to the 4th line replacing Hollweg or Orr, Straka to the 1st, then have Dubinsky center the 3rd line. I might like this scenario better actually because that 3rd line would be so annoying to play against, all 3 players hit everything. Either way I think a Smyth signing would make sense.


Last edited by NYR fan 2: 06-30-2007 at 12:29 AM.
NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 11:03 PM
  #32
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 500
I disagree with the Smyth doubters. Smyth is a leader, aware defensively, deadly on the PP and may just be the perfect 2nd liner who could play on anyones 1st line.

Smyth collects a ton of garbage goals and has wicked and eye. All he needs is someone to get the puck through to the net and we a guy to help get it up the ice. Cullen has the speed and the tools necessary to do this making him an adequate 2nd liner as Smyth would compliment him well. Both Smyth and Cullen have decent size and would open the ice up more for Prucha.

Jagr, Straka and whoever is signed or re-signed make up a potent 1st line. The above three would follow up with a different more in your face style.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 11:10 PM
  #33
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
I disagree with the Smyth doubters. Smyth is a leader, aware defensively, deadly on the PP and may just be the perfect 2nd liner who could play on anyones 1st line.

Smyth collects a ton of garbage goals and has wicked and eye. All he needs is someone to get the puck through to the net and we a guy to help get it up the ice. Cullen has the speed and the tools necessary to do this making him an adequate 2nd liner as Smyth would compliment him well. Both Smyth and Cullen have decent size and would open the ice up more for Prucha.

Jagr, Straka and whoever is signed or re-signed make up a potent 1st line. The above three would follow up with a different more in your face style.
hmm did Smyth play with Comrie at all on the same line in Edmonton???


Straka Nylander Jagr
Prucha Comrie Smyth
Avery Cullen Callahan
Hollweg Betts Hossa

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 12:40 AM
  #34
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
hmm did Smyth play with Comrie at all on the same line in Edmonton???


Straka Nylander Jagr
Prucha Comrie Smyth
Avery Cullen Callahan
Hollweg Betts Hossa
as much as i love smyth, if signing him meant signing comrie, id remove that offer.

i ABHOR comrie. the guys been in the nhl 5 years, and been on 4, count em 4 different teams. this year itll be 6 years and 5 teams (most likely), and a mid season trade wouldnt surprise me at all.

guys who get moved that much that early, have serious issues with their character or their game. i happen to think comrie has issues with both.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 12:50 AM
  #35
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
as much as i love smyth, if signing him meant signing comrie, id remove that offer.

i ABHOR comrie. the guys been in the nhl 5 years, and been on 4, count em 4 different teams. this year itll be 6 years and 5 teams (most likely), and a mid season trade wouldnt surprise me at all.

guys who get moved that much that early, have serious issues with their character or their game. i happen to think comrie has issues with both.
well Sather knows his family well and I think he will give him a look. He gives people 2ed chances, heck he gave Billy Tibbetts a chance.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.