HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A few nice things.

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
A few nice things.

1. Marc-Antoine Pouliot is back playing tonight. Rimouski is down 3-1, and he has no points, but he's playing again.

2. Salo's improved play could be huge for the second half. If he can get on a run, this team could certainly make a run.

3. Brewer has played very well lately, and now with Jason Smith is forming a dynamite combo. Long overdue move.

4. Stoll's shot. That goal the other night (called a 'lucky shot' by Millen, who let in about three thousand lucky ones as I recall) came on what should have been a penalty, but this guy is here to stay. It could be Horcoff moving off center when Reasoner comes back, and all of a sudden the future at center (and the present) look pretty good.

5. Anyone notice Morrison having a helluva start in Toronto? I think he was a Barry Fraser draft.

Old
12-29-2003, 05:42 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
4. Stoll's shot. That goal the other night (called a 'lucky shot' by Millen, who let in about three thousand lucky ones as I recall) came on what should have been a penalty, but this guy is here to stay. It could be Horcoff moving off center when Reasoner comes back, and all of a sudden the future at center (and the present) look pretty good.
Millen wouldn't give the Oilers credit if they didn't lose another game all year and then won the Stanley Cup.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:17 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Millen wouldn't give the Oilers credit if they didn't lose another game all year and then won the Stanley Cup.
I don't know why he particularly dislikes the Oilers but it is pretty obvious.

As to nice things that are happening. Salo seems to be getting refocussed but is still not out of the woods. Brewer and Smith should have been playing together from the beginning of the season but ... Oates is, imo, getting closer. We have a number one centre with 4? assist and a minus 4. Not his fault but that has got to get better as time goes on. I actually think this team has the talent to get out of this mess.

Nice to hear Pouliot is back on the ice. With Crosby out of town he should get lots of ice the next week or so.

I know that everybody is pegging Stoll as a number 3 centre but I am not convinced. I have seen him do a few things this season that make me think he could play the number 2 spot. I know Lowetide that you think the number 3 spot is more important but it has been so long since this team had a second line how would any of us remember . I don't think anybody thought MacTavish was more important than Messier. Our third line centre has become so important because we haven't had a first line that we had the confidence to play head to head with other first lines so our third line has played a ton. (Our version of the trap - first line against 3rd line all night)

I still think the Comrie bs put us in this hole but the overall game plan is still on track. This year just isn't going to show the progress I was hoping for. If Oates starts rolling so that Smyth and Isbister can play together then you will see York, Dvorak Torres start to roll again against 2nd line competition and we will start to score again.

Downside? Staios is playing too much and already starting to wear out. You can see little things creeping into his game that weren't there earlier in the season. Hooks and slashes because he is getting beaten. He has been overplayed imo and is losing strength/speed because of it.

Old
12-30-2003, 12:55 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
1. Marc-Antoine Pouliot is back playing tonight. Rimouski is down 3-1, and he has no points, but he's playing again.

2. Salo's improved play could be huge for the second half. If he can get on a run, this team could certainly make a run.

3. Brewer has played very well lately, and now with Jason Smith is forming a dynamite combo. Long overdue move.

5.[B] Anyone notice Morrison having a helluva start in Toronto? I think he was a Barry Fraser draft.
[B]
I've been very surprised with Morrison. He seems to be making the same steady progress that Conklin made when he first turned pro. It must be quite a jump for goaltenders from the college game to pro.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:12 PM
jadeddog

salo has played two decent games, lets see if he can string together 10 GOOD games.... then and only then will i say that the tommy from 3 seasons ago is back

stoll is a good player and *should* be the one who stays in the lineup when reasoner comes back (horcoff should see the PB), of course he *wont* stay because macT isnt very smart, but thats a whole different thread.... i dont agree that the oilers look good at centre now or in the future though.... in fact i think its the weakest position the oilers have, there isnt a legitimate number 1 center on the team or a future number 1 that is ready to step in next year (barring some miracle development by a prospect).... the oilers need to find a number 1 center or we are going to continue to be a very bad team

i also agree that it is nice to see brewer in the past 5 games or so finally living up to his billing as a number 1 defensemen, he really has played great..... smith has also played quite good and i personally think the oilers would be making a big mistake to let him go, unless they get somebody who can hepl the team immediately.... no more of these "trade for the future"

Old
12-30-2003, 03:35 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
smith has also played quite good and i personally think the oilers would be making a big mistake to let him go, unless they get somebody who can hepl the team immediately.... no more of these "trade for the future"
I keep hearing some say things like above, but I'm just wondering what serious rationale one could have to oppose more trades for the future? besides impatience.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:53 PM
momentai

Quote:
stoll is a good player and *should* be the one who stays in the lineup when reasoner comes back (horcoff should see the PB), of course he *wont* stay because macT isnt very smart, but thats a whole different thread....
Why does it necessarily have to be one or the other? Couldn't they both be in the lineup. I'm a lot more comfortable with Horcoff taking draws than Stoll... no offense to Stoll of course.

Quote:
i dont agree that the oilers look good at centre now or in the future though.... in fact i think its the weakest position the oilers have, there isnt a legitimate number 1 center on the team or a future number 1 that is ready to step in next year (barring some miracle development by a prospect).... the oilers need to find a number 1 center or we are going to continue to be a very bad team
Thing is, though, how many teams do have a #1 center? Vancouver? Perhaps you could make a case for Morrison but I see him as a #2. Calgary and Craig Conroy? Minnesota? Columbus? Phoenix and Langkow? Buffalo and Drury/Briere?

You don't necessarily need a prototypical #1 center like a Joe Sakic/Joe Thornton/Steve Yzerman to be a successful hockey club. Sure you'd like one as all teams do and it would certainly help but it is not the be all end all of a team's overall success.

Old
12-30-2003, 04:06 PM
jadeddog

i say that we shouldnt have any more "trades for the future" because when the GM of a team says "this is a good trade for the future", 90% of the time that means that his team just got ripped off and hes trying to spin spin spin

i dont really see how horcoff and stoll could both be in the lineup when reasoner comes back (unless of course one of them moves to the wing)... because we would have york, oates, reasoner, stoll and horcoff as centres, and thats one too many..... and i dont think moving horcoff to the wing is the right answer since we have too many wingers as it is already

and your right, some teams do get buy without a "legit #1 centerman".... but these teams that succeed have stellar defense or other forwards who are superstars that contribute to scoring.... edmonton doesnt have any of these, and the centers they *do* have arent very good, or at least arnt 1-2 centers anyhow

Old
12-30-2003, 04:53 PM
momentai

Quote:
i say that we shouldnt have any more "trades for the future" because when the GM of a team says "this is a good trade for the future", 90% of the time that means that his team just got ripped off and hes trying to spin spin spin
Well that will depend on the trades at hand. But when I hear Lowe proclaiming that the Oilers are a talented enough team to make the playoffs and make a run... I'm thinking "spin spin spin" as well because, frankly, I can't see it.

Quote:
i dont really see how horcoff and stoll could both be in the lineup when reasoner comes back (unless of course one of them moves to the wing)... because we would have york, oates, reasoner, stoll and horcoff as centres, and thats one too many..... and i dont think moving horcoff to the wing is the right answer since we have too many wingers as it is already
Not saying it is something they should do but it is certainly an option for them. Personally, I think it's a bit silly at this point to take out your #1 faceoff man (and yes Horcoff has unbelievably been as good or better than Oates of late). Earlier in the season I would have let him stay in the pressbox... but now would be bad timing.

Quote:
and your right, some teams do get buy without a "legit #1 centerman".... but these teams that succeed have stellar defense or other forwards who are superstars that contribute to scoring.... edmonton doesnt have any of these, and the centers they *do* have arent very good, or at least arnt 1-2 centers anyhow
Well. #1 centers don't exactly grow on trees and they are monstrously expensive to acquire or require a very bad team to draft. Neither of those serve to be very palatable in Oiler minds. I don't think anyone is willing to gut the team to make a trade for a #1 center nor is anyone willing to "look to the future" and be able to draft at a high position. If neither of those things happen, it's doubtful that we'll magically land one for ourselves.

That being of course... unless one of our prospects dramatically busts out to a level we don't expect or we can draft a late round gem such as Federov or Demitra.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:46 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
a few good things
1. this season is close to being half over
2. my remote is nearby so i can change the channel instead of watching a team playing to lose.

Closed Thread