Penner

Old
07-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Static

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Then I guess Brian Burke and his staff are retards, unless they are lying to STH's.
Brian Burke has a tendency to exaggerate some things. Bobby Ryan isnt ready to step into a top 6 scoring role, and anyone who thinks he is is incredibly and overly optimistic. He doesnt have the speed yet, in body or mind.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 09:38 AM
luckoftheduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
And you are? Care to scan a business card? Because if you're not (shocker!) that's got to be one of the most self-refuting arguments I've ever seen.

In fact, I'd go as far as calling it retarded, but I wouldn't want to offend people who are in fact retarded, so I'll refrain from doing that.
Hmmm...assuming is a bad thing....I never said I was...what I was saying is that neither of us know and I was trying to figure out if the guy I was talking to had better insight than me. iLau did since he's seen him play. I have only seen him play at training camp.

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
luckoftheduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Brian Burke has a tendency to exaggerate some things. Bobby Ryan isnt ready to step into a top 6 scoring role, and anyone who thinks he is is incredibly and overly optimistic. He doesnt have the speed yet, in body or mind.
I can tell you this: when I went to training camp last year, I zoned in on Bobby Ryan during the skating drills and while he isn't amazingly agile his straight skating is rather fast. When they were doing a competition breakaway drill he lost maybe once out of like 6 or 7 times. I'd compare his skating to Penner's at this point.

Old
07-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Hank

Quote:
Then I guess Brian Burke and his staff are retards, unless they are lying to STH's.
What Brian Burke says to STH is what it is. GM Speak.

Think about it, is Burke going to say to fans and press that Ryan has zero shot at an NHL roster spot? Of course not. "He's going to compete for a spot". Blah, blah, blah. Now everyone is happy. The fans think good things of Ryan, Ryan comes to camp motivated to compete, and Burke can still send him to Portland. "We liked what we saw from Ryan, but he's just needs big minutes in the AHL right now".

People, you need to read between the lines and just in general understand how GMs and coaches deal with media and fans.

At the end of the day Burke still signed Bertuzzi. That is all the proof you need of what Burke really thinks of Ryan's chances of making this roster. Actions speak much louder than words.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 12:21 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckoftheduck View Post
Are you an NHL scout....
He's not ready for the NHL. He needs to work on his leg strength and he needs to remove the boy from his game and learn to play with men....9 games doesn't make a player ready for the NHL.

wildcat48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I would hardly call him expendable he's a huge part of the team. But if the Oilers threw him a big contract that clearly overvalues him the Ducks may not have a choice but to let him go because Perry and Getzlaf will see that and say we are worth it too. I hope we get Getzlaf done asap because someone will throw a Vanek type offer sheet at him if the league continues down this path.
Agreed, Getzlaf should be priority #1 for Burke once he finalizes your roster. Perry can likley wait a bit. However more than likely if Nieds and Selanne return, their salaries will likelybe off of the books next year if they both retire. That should give you guys extra room to sign Getzlaf and Perry. IMO Getzlaf is the cornerstone of your franchise up front, Burke would be a fool to let him hit the open market.

07-07-2007, 12:24 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

Think about it, is Burke going to say to fans and press that Ryan has zero shot at an NHL roster spot? Of course not. "He's going to compete for a spot". Blah, blah, blah. Now everyone is happy. The fans think good things of Ryan, Ryan comes to camp motivated to compete, and Burke can still send him to Portland. "We liked what we saw from Ryan, but he's just needs big minutes in the AHL right now".

People, you need to read between the lines and just in general understand how GMs and coaches deal with media and fans.

At the end of the day Burke still signed Bertuzzi. That is all the proof you need of what Burke really thinks of Ryan's chances of making this roster. Actions speak much louder than words.
The voice of reason and somebody who gets it.

wildcat48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, Getzlaf should be priority #1 for Burke once he finalizes your roster. Perry can likley wait a bit. However more than likely if Nieds and Selanne return, their salaries will likelybe off of the books next year if they both retire. That should give you guys extra room to sign Getzlaf and Perry. IMO Getzlaf is the cornerstone of your franchise up front, Burke would be a fool to let him hit the open market.
Players on their first contracts can not negotiate an extension. The Ducks will have to wait until next summer to sign Getzlaf and Perry to long contract extensions.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:03 PM
SonOfBraincramp

Not sure what is holding up the contract. I know someone stated that it was held up to some clerical or processing error. The 3 year, 7 Mil contract that my Dad and I heard the rumor of was pretty reliable, considering if you believed him, it was 2 degrees from the horse's mouth. So if Penner is driving around in a new Bentley right now, I have a feeling it will still come through. He wouldn't buy one of those thinking he would be playing anywhere other than SoCal.

SonOfBraincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Players on their first contracts can not negotiate an extension. The Ducks will have to wait until next summer to sign Getzlaf and Perry to long contract extensions.
Wow, that doesn't bode very well for the Ducks. Could they take him to arbitration???

BTW-Isn't Crosby currently negotiating a long term extension??? His 1st contract finnishes at the end of this up-coming season as well.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

Burke was rather blunt about Ryan last year though saying stuff like he needed to get on the bike and how he wasn't ready. He has watched him more than any of us and maybe he believes he will make the team sometime next year, he could be exaggerating but at the same time he must have seen enough progress to say those things.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agree, someone will throw him a giant offer sheet if he isn't locked up and we will have no choice but to match and be in cap hell. I am hoping we can get him to a Horton type contract personally. But who knows all it takes is one GM to really want him.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 06:24 PM
the_speedster

They'd beter sign him quck before a desperate team like edmonton does

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

BTW guys, it is my understanding that the Oilers can't commit to another RFA sheet for a full week after their initial RFA offer. It ties up our teams 1st round pick so we won't be able to offer Penner or anyone else enough $ to warrant a 1st round pick until late next week. Burke should be getting busy and doing what he can to keep Dustin if he's in the Ducks long term plans. The longer that Dustin and other RFA's don't sign, the more likely that they are awaiting offer sheets to sign.

Old
07-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Agree, someone will throw him a giant offer sheet if he isn't locked up and we will have no choice but to match and be in cap hell. I am hoping we can get him to a Horton type contract personally. But who knows all it takes is one GM to really want him.
I'd look to lock him up for a 4-5 year deal for $5-$5.5 million per. Show him lots of green, and hope that he's happy enough not to look for more $ from another team. This kid should be the face of your franchise long after Nieds and Pronger are gone.

Old
07-08-2007, 04:57 AM
WildWinger

Brian Burke

Brian Burke's attitude regarding Penner and others who wiated until July 1 to sign is a lot different that those who got in before. He runs the club like a business and puts all personalities aside when making those decisions. Now you have arbitration and such. I think Penner better get talking with Anaheim and Brian Burke if he wants to remain with the team. I can easily see the ducks move on without him and throw someone else into that wonderful trio we say this year.

That interview tonight on TSN with Burke, Haywood, and MacDonald gave some serious outlook on Burke and the hardline approach to get it done for as least amount of money you can, and make the team work. Burke is NOT and I repeat NOT afraid to get rid of players who screw around with the whole money thing.

WildWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWinger View Post
Brian Burke's attitude regarding Penner and others who wiated until July 1 to sign is a lot different that those who got in before. He runs the club like a business and puts all personalities aside when making those decisions. Now you have arbitration and such. I think Penner better get talking with Anaheim and Brian Burke if he wants to remain with the team. I can easily see the ducks move on without him and throw someone else into that wonderful trio we say this year.

That interview tonight on TSN with Burke, Haywood, and MacDonald gave some serious outlook on Burke and the hardline approach to get it done for as least amount of money you can, and make the team work. Burke is NOT and I repeat NOT afraid to get rid of players who screw around with the whole money thing.

I think youre right...and thats why I like Burke. If Penner doesnt come back, Bertuzzi can and will do a better job.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 06:23 PM
HerrAlex

Maybe bert will score some goals but if we lose selanne and penner we jsut lost 81 goals

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Apparently Burke made it know that he would match any offer should Lowe throw one at Penner. Per spectors.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
luckoftheduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Apparently Burke made it know that he would match any offer should Lowe throw one at Penner. Per spectors.
That's dangerous to say though cause then Lowe could screw Burkie over and just sign Penner to an offer sheet for 10.6 million per year knowing that Burke would match it. That's exaggerating but he could potentially offer him 5.5 million or so.

Old
07-08-2007, 11:08 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
That's dangerous to say though cause then Lowe could screw Burkie over and just sign Penner to an offer sheet for 10.6 million per year knowing that Burke would match it. That's exaggerating but he could potentially offer him 5.5 million or so.
That'd be fine, actually. Penner's a good player, but at this point in his career he's a good COMPLEMENTARY player. He's not going to dramatically change Edmonton's fortunes, which would make their first rounders quite valuable. Unless Penner's in the right situation (with a coach like Carlyle pushing the right buttons, playing in a system that suits him), he could potentially be as big a disappointment as Lupul was. He could very easily end up an Eric Daze, with an on-ice impact something less than what his goal totals would indicate.

If Lowe wants to shoot his big RFA wad at Penner, so be it. He'll have no more picks to make any more offers for about a half decade, he'll have burned a good chunk of his cap space on a forward who couldn't consistently stay in our top 6 most of the year, and will have handed us some nice pieces to rebuild with when our current team is getting old.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Jerky Leclerc

3.99 million dollar RFA contract offer would only require compensation of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. The Ducks would obviously match for Penner but put itself into cap hell.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 09:12 AM
ktulu98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I just read it and wanted to post is here but you were first

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

IMO Lowe should offer a $4-$5 million contract for 4-5 years. IMO Burke is likley gesturing here and hoping that Lowe doesn't have the cojones to take a run at Dustin. I still have to think that with the addition of Bertuzzi and the possible emergence of Ryan (how close is he???) that Penner's organizational value isn't quite as high as it was before you guys signed Bert. I'd be willing to give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Penner. As it stands, even if we got Penner and did nothing else, that 1st rounder could even be a lottery pick. This would have to be the 1st of 2-3 moves by Lowe to make this team a play-off team.

Old
07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
If Lowe offered $10.6 million, you guys would get 4 1st round picks for Dustin, as much as I'd love to have the kid on my team, that's waaaay too much compensation IMO. $5.5 is a possibility, especially if Lowe continues to have a hard time finding a goal scoring LW.