HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Souray next?

Old
07-03-2007, 01:02 AM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i agree, i really like both the players, but lets call a spade a spade here folks. they are BOTH 2nd line centers. when added together they should be making 7 million for 7 years.

once jagr retires and we find that we cant sign a guy to replace him, and realize that this team was so dependent on him and cant win anymore, then were going to be in serious trouble.

i think i just threw up a little in my mouth.
So if Gomez put up about 100 points on Jagr's line (which I think he is capable of), would he still be just a second line center? The point I'm trying to make is that he's still relatively young and I don't think he has really hit his prime yet. Not to mention he's been playing for Jersey the past 7 years. This will be like starting all over for him, so I think he'll be fine for now. What I'm really worried about is the length of the contract, which as you mentioned is pretty ridiculous. Guess we'll just have to pray for now

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
So if Gomez put up about 100 points on Jagr's line (which I think he is capable of), would he still be just a second line center? The point I'm trying to make is that he's still relatively young and I don't think he has really hit his prime yet. Not to mention he's been playing for Jersey the past 7 years. This will be like starting all over for him, so I think he'll be fine for now. What I'm really worried about is the length of the contract, which as you mentioned is pretty ridiculous. Guess we'll just have to pray for now
in order for me to be happy, Gomez needs to put up 110 points, and Drury needs to put up 110 points

OR

we win the stanley cup

The following will make me consider these moves not complete wastes:

1)we win the presidents trophy
2)we sign a big name free agent next year at a discount cause of us being a good team
3)the devils finish in last place (god i hate the devils)

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
This thread, along with the "Souray to rangers?" in FA talk have just become us having to defend our recent signings. can a mod close them both, as this Souray rumor is dead & talks are proven to be over?

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
This thread, along with the "Souray to rangers?" in FA talk have just become us having to defend our recent signings. can a mod close them both, as this Souray rumor is dead & talks are proven to be over?
apologies, didnt mean to ruin your whole night.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:19 AM
EnticeTheMasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
By my calculations after the Rangers spending spree their team salary is at 43.814 million without the contracts of Lundqvist, Prucha, Avery and Hossa. I included cheap rookies Staal, Dawes, Callahan, Girardi and Dubinsky to fill out the roster and am still a starting goaltender and a 2nd line winger short. I did not include Kasperitius contract.

no way they can afford Souray
According to Mckenzie of TSN, the Rangers are at 38 million dollars.

Bob McKenzie

7/2/2007 12:58:30 AM

Everybody is saying the New York Rangers spent so much money on Scott Gomez and Chris Drury that maybe there is not enough money for Brendan Shanahan. Think again.

The Rangers have lots of room under the salary cap right now. They are sitting by our count at around $37 to $38 million in salary committed to next season. They still have to sign Shanahan - likely around $4 or $5 million - as well as restricted free agent goaltender Henrik Lundqvist and forward Sean Avery. After that, they are pretty much done. There is plenty of money to get those three signed - between $12 and $13 million to take care of Shanahan, Lundqvist and Avery.

EnticeTheMasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:48 AM
PruchaPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i agree, i really like both the players, but lets call a spade a spade here folks. they are BOTH 2nd line centers. when added together they should be making 7 million for 7 years.

once jagr retires and we find that we cant sign a guy to replace him, and realize that this team was so dependent on him and cant win anymore, then were going to be in serious trouble.

i think i just threw up a little in my mouth.
Combined 7 million for 7 years. I hope that is sarcasm, because with the supply and demand the UFA market has created this past two seasons, 3.5 million is the going rate for a great two-way third line center. As such, being a good two-way third line center, 3 million is a good rate for Matt Cullen.

If you want to base this on point production, then yes, Gomez and Drury were overpaid. But if you want to base this the way a market should truly be based, in supply and demand and with relative use of comparable players, then Drury and Gomez are being paid either at or just slightly above market value.

Why?

1. Two veterans who have never missed significant time in their long NHL careers. This is very important considering neither player is "old" and both have styles that will still be effective as they age.
That's especially true for Drury.
2. They are both proven winners, which for better or worse is a commodity on the open market. It might be an intangible that gets overplayed, but teams still pay for it.
3. They were, at worst, the 2nd and 3rd best players on the market (if you love Briere), but I would imagine most teams, including the Rangers, had them 1 and 1a.
4. Ranger specific: They are being removed from teams that are rivals (definitely in the Devils case, maybe not so much Buffalo, but I think the playoff series was the start of something), and, even more importantly, direct threats to our race to the top of the conference. The only thing that could have been better is taking Malkin or Crosby for Pittsburgh or Alfy from Ottawa.

The Rangers had to decide whether they thought now was the time their window for the Stanley Cup was as open as it will ever be. They thought so, and I don't disagree, because once the team picked up Avery and Jagr was healthy everything clicked. The front office is right to take that as a harbinger or 2007-08 and 2008-09.

PruchaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Levitate

and there's really no way I see Shanahan getting $5 mill. Or even $4 mill. I'd give him $3 mill and that extra 1 can come in handy for signing Lundqvist

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote