HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Combined Thoughts of the Gomez/Drury Signings

Old
07-01-2007, 09:58 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Combined Thoughts of the Gomez/Drury Signings

I'm sorry, I know everyone's running off parading here, but I just don't like it.

We now have Gomez @ 7 years and Drury @ 5 years. This basically makes these two untradedable. Drury at the very least won't be tradeable for a couple of years. Then our 3rd center is Cullen @ 3 years and Betts @ 2 years.

Unless Sather is planning on trading Betts or Cullen then Dubinsky & Anisimov are doomed to the AHL or at the very least being traded. Other than that if they do make the NHL they're going to be stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines.

I know at this point it seems like we're going with the all or nothing strategy and I guess Sather figured try to lure them in any way possible and if necessary once Jagr retires, we can pull a Yashin and buy them out.

Of course, if we win the cup in the next two years I take back everything I said here, but if not, we're kinda screwed for the future because any young centers in the system aren't going to get a good chance to develop... unless the coaches and staff don't see anything more than 3rd and 4th line material out of Dubinsky & Anisimov.

I just hope that Drury's numbers weren't inflated because of the team he was on and I hope that Gomez doesn't pull a Holik on us.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:05 PM
steviek3b

I think you have really good points. I think you have to look at it and say that the Rangers got exactly what they have needed for the past couple of years, 1st and 2nd line centers. I did not like Nylander, but he got the job done. I don't really like the signing of Gomez (mostly because he is an ex-Devil), but him and Drury make for a great 1-2 punch at center.

I do have a problem that neither is a terrific number 1 center, ala Gretzky, Forsberg, Sakic, Messier, etc, but they are still 2 of the top centers of the last couple of years.

steviek3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:08 PM
TomLaidlaw

I have been reserving judgement on this until everything sinks in and I get a chance to look things over closely. I hate being that guy that is the downer when everyone is happy. But, my first reaction to this was this......

I would have rathered Nylander/Drury.

The Gomez contract worries me. I wish it didn't but it does. I am trying to be optimistic and hope for the best because these two signings are really exciting and unexpected. The Drury signing is fantastic. I love everything about Chris Drury and he is exactly what this team needed. I don't have a single negative thing to say about him, i love the signing. The Gomez signing however....eh. He is a very good player but 7 years 7 mill per? .....eh

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
I'm sorry, I know everyone's running off parading here, but I just don't like it.

We now have Gomez @ 7 years and Drury @ 5 years. This basically makes these two untradedable. Drury at the very least won't be tradeable for a couple of years. Then our 3rd center is Cullen @ 3 years and Betts @ 2 years.

Unless Sather is planning on trading Betts or Cullen then Dubinsky & Anisimov are doomed to the AHL or at the very least being traded. Other than that if they do make the NHL they're going to be stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines.

I know at this point it seems like we're going with the all or nothing strategy and I guess Sather figured try to lure them in any way possible and if necessary once Jagr retires, we can pull a Yashin and buy them out.

Of course, if we win the cup in the next two years I take back everything I said here, but if not, we're kinda screwed for the future because any young centers in the system aren't going to get a good chance to develop... unless the coaches and staff don't see anything more than 3rd and 4th line material out of Dubinsky & Anisimov.

I just hope that Drury's numbers weren't inflated because of the team he was on and I hope that Gomez doesn't pull a Holik on us.
You don't sign guys to trade them.

Drury has been a productive player everywhere he's been.

Gomez is 27. When his contract is up, he'll be 34 (younger than Nylander and Straka are now).

There are risks involved in every move that is made. And can we see more from Dubinsky and see anything from Ansimove before we decide that Drury and Gomez will be blocking them someday. If Dubinsky comes to camp and wins a job, he's going to get it.

Finally, the Rangers' strength in their system is defense and wings (Dawes, Bourret, Cherepanov, Korpikoski). These guys do need centers.

07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
broadwayblue

I too will reserve my judgement on Gomez. I was not thrilled with the idea of giving a 13 goal scorer 7mil for a forever contract. But he's a Ranger now, so I'll give him a chance to prove me wrong.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I have been reserving judgement on this until everything sinks in and I get a chance to look things over closely. I hate being that guy that is the downer when everyone is happy. But, my first reaction to this was this......

I would have rathered Nylander/Drury.

The Gomez contract worries me. I wish it didn't but it does. I am trying to be optimistic and hope for the best because these two signings are really exciting and unexpected. The Drury signing is fantastic. I love everything about Chris Drury and he is exactly what this team needed. I don't have a single negative thing to say about him, i love the signing. The Gomez signing however....eh. He is a very good player but 7 years 7 mill per? .....eh

Nylander wanted to cash in. Sather didn't let it happen. He replaced him with someone who is a lot younger. When Gomez's contract is up he will be younger than Nylander is now.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I understand your reservations.

Ultimately I think Nylander asked for too much and negged on Sathers offer.

Gomez is younger and more like the guy youd want around after Jagrs retires to lead this team onward.

Drury is all good anyway you slice it.

Sather landed two excellent players that will both help during the Jagr era and after the Jagr era.

Nylander only fit one of those eras.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I too will reserve my judgement on Gomez. I was not thrilled with the idea of giving a 13 goal scorer 7mil for a forever contract. But he's a Ranger now, so I'll give him a chance to prove me wrong.
If you are going to judge him by the number of goals he scores, then you are missing the point.

Assets Possesses Gretzky-like vision and passing skills. Also features terrific speed and a feisty attitude.

Flaws Needs talented scorers on his line in order to maximize his talents. Doesn't play a physical game, and lacks the strength to dominate.

Career potential First line center.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...ame=nhl-devils

Old
07-01-2007, 10:19 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

That was my first reaction too, and I'm even more wary after learning that Drury's contract contains a no-movement clause. Everyone is saying, "don't worry, Dubi and Anisimov are both a least a year or two away" - but we will have Gomez for 7 years and Drury for 5. Our 2 scoring lines are plugged in the middle.

Don't get me wrong,I do like both players - and for once I hope I'm worng about everything. Yet at the same time I can't help but worry.

HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:20 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Nylander wanted to cash in. Sather didn't let it happen. He replaced him with someone who is a lot younger. When Gomez's contract is up he will be younger than Nylander is now.
I don't like the Gomez signing at all. The money is way too much in my opinion....that said, Nylander played chicken and lost....can't fault them for moving on...I like the Drury signing though I would have preffered one less year on the contract. In my mind....he was the key.......I guess Sather was just making sure he holds all the minor league chips and improves the team for these next two seasons while Jagr is still here! This way they can still build and make a run.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:24 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
If you are going to judge him by the number of goals he scores, then you are missing the point.

Assets Possesses Gretzky-like vision and passing skills. Also features terrific speed and a feisty attitude.

Flaws Needs talented scorers on his line in order to maximize his talents. Doesn't play a physical game, and lacks the strength to dominate.

Career potential First line center.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...ame=nhl-devils
Ok, maybe that was unfair of me. But wouldn't you think an elite playmaker should be among the top 30 in assists?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Ok, maybe that was unfair of me. But wouldn't you think an elite playmaker should be among the top 30 in assists?
Look at Nylander's numbers before he played with Jagr....

Old
07-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im not happy about this either.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Noonan25

I dont think its a problem with the young Centers in our farm system, they will find a place for them when its time .....

Gomez and Drury give this team legitimate centers and top level talent we have an explosive team that doesnt have to lean on Jagr all the time

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Zirp

Think about it this way... if Gomez is playing with JJ, he is going to score a boatload of points! We just got a lot younger at #1 center as well. Also, in two years when JJ is retiring, Straka is gone, and Shanny is gone, those contracts are going to look like bargains and we will still have a strong core in our most-needed area... top line centers. We have a ton of talent on the wings coming up, but not too much up the middle. IMO, we just got a lot better for right now as well as for the future of this team. As pointed out, Nylander played chicken and lost. If the rumours were true about a $4.5 offer on the table and he left it there... what can you do? WOuld you have rather paid Nylander at his age $6mil for 3-4 years or go get two guys who are on the verge of entering their prime for what we had to pay for them? I don't know, but I think we are looking at the face of the post-Jagr New York Rangers with these signings, the two vets that are not only going to have a chance to win now, but can lead the next generation of Rangers onward. Pretty exciting stuff, that. LET'S GO RANGERS!

Zirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:42 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:

I don't disagree with you SBOB. It does appear that Nylander overplayed his hand here. With that said we can't deny that the guy really found his game here. Wheter that was a combo of the new rules/playing with Jagr whatever it was the guy was a beast for us in two years. In my years of watching hockey I haven't seen many players with the pock possession skills of Nylander. Jagr or not the guy was impossible to take off the puck. That's why I would have prefered if we stuck with our proven commodity, the guy we knew had great chemsitry with our franchise player. Hey, it is what it is, lets hope Gomez tears it up now.

sidenote: My worries about Gomez contract aside, it is pretty sweet to get him after seeing some Devil fans come in here and post that we had no chance because he said he would never play for us

Old
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Short term looks good, three, four years from now, we'll see.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:45 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirp View Post
Think about it this way... if Gomez is playing with JJ, he is going to score a boatload of points! We just got a lot younger at #1 center as well. Also, in two years when JJ is retiring, Straka is gone, and Shanny is gone, those contracts are going to look like bargains and we will still have a strong core in our most-needed area... top line centers. We have a ton of talent on the wings coming up, but not too much up the middle. IMO, we just got a lot better for right now as well as for the future of this team. As pointed out, Nylander played chicken and lost. If the rumours were true about a $4.5 offer on the table and he left it there... what can you do? WOuld you have rather paid Nylander at his age $6mil for 3-4 years or go get two guys who are on the verge of entering their prime for what we had to pay for them? I don't know, but I think we are looking at the face of the post-Jagr New York Rangers with these signings, the two vets that are not only going to have a chance to win now, but can lead the next generation of Rangers onward. Pretty exciting stuff, that. LET'S GO RANGERS!
good post zirp. It actually made me feel good after reading it.

Old
07-01-2007, 10:51 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

I was worried about the youth in the same way you are. Then realized that Jagr will be gone soon and NO WAY will our prospects (forwards) be able to handle the pressure of being top 2 line players in the NHL. We can take our time developing them now and with these (Drury/Gomez) contracts will depend on young inexpensive players now more than ever.

I'd expect us to trade Cullen to free up some cap room and his position given to a young cheap player.

If Anisimov and Dubinsky are as good as we think, then they will force themselves into the lineup and Drury at least can play the wing.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
NObody is thinking about the kind of system that Gomez played in. That stupid trap that hindered his creativity and offensive production. Not to mention his best linemates in his entire time in Jersey were Gionta who is a midget, and Elias who has been injured about 50% of the time the last 2 years. That has to affect his numbers. All I know is that with someone like Jagr in his line, Gomez can put up 80 points at least. And he is a young guy at 27. Drury is so clutch and such a good two way forward, that the whole concept of Dubinsky and Anisimov not developing because he and Gomez is in the way is bogus because Drury can be shifted to the third line and his contract will be bigger for a 3rd line guy but you have to understand the cap goes up and the contracts plus inflation. I think Dubinsky can be moved to wing and I don't know what we have in Anisimov, everyone talks like hes a first line center and nobody has seen him play. It seems we are going for the cup but I think these two guys will strengthen our team in the long run and prepare us for the post Jagr era. Did we overpay? Probably. But looking at other teams and what this does to our lineup it doesnt really matter. I mean if its a question of cap room, lets hope the cap goes up each year and be thankful we have so many young d-men prospects that can come up and not eat space and none of them are close to unrestricted free agency.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirp View Post

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Czecher

I like it and here's how I know I'm right: Rodent's headline is "STUPID"

Czecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:00 PM
kasparaitis666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
NObody is thinking about the kind of system that Gomez played in. That stupid trap that hindered his creativity and offensive production.
People forget that Gomez has played for a defense first team his whole career. I personally am really excited to see what he can do with a team as offensive-minded as ours is.

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Can Anisimov and Dubinsky score 1 career NHL goal before we start wondering where they are going to fit in...

I mean I love Dubinsky but he is far from a sure thing to make the team this year.....

Once the reality of NOT ALL THE KIDS ARE GOING TO BE RANGERS a lot of people are going to be heartbroken...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:08 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I was really excited at first. To be honest, I was downright shocked. I predicted the Big 3 going to teams other than the Rangers. So I didn't even stay online monitoring the signings for most of the later afternoon and early evening. Then I was listening to the FAN and heard the Rangers had signed Drury and Gomez.

I love the talent. And they're centers, which the Rangers desperately need. And they're still in their primes, which is great. Plus the fact that they've both won Stanley Cups. Drury's leadership qualities make me excited because of the effect he could have on Jagr lightening the burden of leading the team.

But the deals are HUGE. Lots of money and lots of years. Not exactly the Rangers MO over the past two offseasons. And I worry about chemistry and playing style. The Rangers aren't the Devils and they're not the Sabres either. Different teams, different environments, coaching staffs, culture.

But it's better than Sather being on vacation doing nothing. The Rangers needed help at center, and they definitely got some.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote