HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Combined Thoughts of the Gomez/Drury Signings

Old
07-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
No matter what this organization does, there will be fans that are upset and doubtful. They sign the two top free agent centers, there are angry fans. They don't sign them and stay with Nylander and plug in second line center, there are still angry fans.

I for one am very excited about these signings!

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:02 AM
John Flyers Fan

I don't know how you guys can have so many people complaining about the moves. Whle I think that Drury is overrated, these moves put you in a position, where you should have home ice next year as one of the top four teams in the east (NYR, Ott, Pitt and SE winner), and are a legit cup contender to start the season.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:07 AM
MadHookUp

Couple of points I would like to make...

1.) You can definitely make an arguement that both players are overpaid. But 2 years from now we will probably see Jagr, Shanny, Straka, and Cullen gone. We have a boatload of prospects moving up, and they all get paid around a million or less. I dont think these contracts will hurt too bad.

2.) Dubi and Anisimov are not good enough to question the signing of Gomez and Drury.

3.) If they are good enough, you can easily move Drury to wing.

4.) Dont be worried about the amount of points Gomez and Drury scored last season. For most of last season, the Devils were juggling their lines, and Gomez rarely got to play with Elias. New system with better wingers will increase his totals. And Drury played on a team with 3 lines that could score well. I think he will get more scoring chances/time with the Rangers.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirp View Post
Think about it this way... if Gomez is playing with JJ, he is going to score a boatload of points! We just got a lot younger at #1 center as well. Also, in two years when JJ is retiring, Straka is gone, and Shanny is gone, those contracts are going to look like bargains and we will still have a strong core in our most-needed area... top line centers. We have a ton of talent on the wings coming up, but not too much up the middle. IMO, we just got a lot better for right now as well as for the future of this team. As pointed out, Nylander played chicken and lost. If the rumours were true about a $4.5 offer on the table and he left it there... what can you do? WOuld you have rather paid Nylander at his age $6mil for 3-4 years or go get two guys who are on the verge of entering their prime for what we had to pay for them? I don't know, but I think we are looking at the face of the post-Jagr New York Rangers with these signings, the two vets that are not only going to have a chance to win now, but can lead the next generation of Rangers onward. Pretty exciting stuff, that. LET'S GO RANGERS!
Good post Zirp, but I'd argue that Anisimov, Dubinsky, Pyatt and Dupont make up a fine compliment of center prospects. Dupont maybe projects as an NHL winger but still...

The rest of what you have to say is on the money. The Rangers just made a HUGE leap. Both in positioning themselves short term for a cup run and in securing leadership for the post Jagr/Shanny era.

A Big Brass Balls move by Sather. Nice! Light me a Cubano.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

I .like the signings but i dont and for a couple reasons.

ui dont like 7 year and 5 yea deals especially when we still have Cullen at 3 or 4 more years or whatever.If this guys suddenly get an ionjury then they could become part timers , then your stuck with them.Another thing neither is a real bonified 1st line center, but they are both 2 very good centers who give NYR someting they beeen missing for years.

I just donbt like big contracts.Also these signings prevent any homegrown youth from getting a spot,well atleast one spot Gomez is young enough.So atleast they got a real2nd line center/1st line center who can put 60-70 points.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:19 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I am content with the signings because when I look at the alternatives I think slats got the players his team needed the most.

Gomez is a pass first center, who is still on the south side of 30 with his name on the stanley cup and already has 450 career points. He also has 96 career playoff games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=31170

His shooting percentage started out around 9%, the dipped to 6/7%. His 33 goal season he shot at 13.5%. Last year about 5%. Clearly he can score...

My guess is he will do what it takes to win games, because from his history in jersey that appears what kind of player he is.

He has the wheels to play big time minutes and not hurt the team.

Was he overpaid ? yeah he was. But looking at the alternatives I think he is just what the rangers needed.

On to Drury who it appears most folks here are happy with. 114 career playoff games, name on the cup, never played fewer than 71 games in a season. 67 goals in the last 2 years in the regular season. What isn't to like ?

his contract ?

again considering the alternatives I like this signing even more than gomez.

Did the NYR overpay ? yep that is the nature of UFA. But this ain't Kamensky nor is a Theo Fluery. These are two guys with no health problems, who have been to the show and in the case of Gomez knows the lifestyle in NYC. Drury is basically an east coast kid who spent time in Boston so he knows whats going on too.

Dan Briere, Scott Hartnell and Kimmon Timonen
OR
Gomez and Drury

you tell me

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:23 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

lighting a cohiba right now

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:24 AM
GratefulDead

In 3 years after Straka and Jagr leave...

Korpikoski - Gomez - Bourret
Avery - Drury - Cherpanov
Dawes - Dubinsky - Callahan
Hollweg - Anisimov - Hossa

Staal-Sauer
Girardi-Tyutin
Baranka-Sanguinetti

G- Lundquist, Montoya

I do not see any problem with that... and I am throwing away Prucha for youth. You could neg out Korpi, Dawes, Hollweg, or Hossa for Prucha. You guys think that because Cullen has 3 years left dosent mean we cant get rid of him? Betts surely will be a goner next year or the year after so that will make room for one of our young guys. And don't forget, those two top prospect centers are NOT projected to be anything great.

Looking at the lineup shows A LOT of promise for the future... and thats without any FA signings either.

GratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:39 AM
WheresBarnaby

Gomez as a Ranger is just plain weird. I'm sorry I'm happy we have his talent, but I can't stand the guy. I do think we may have overpaid him a bit, but more scary to me, is Drury's no movement clause. Shanny said it best when he said he likes the idea of a one year contract, cause it keeps players honest. 7/5 year contracts, geez I don't wanna even think about it. On paper the team does look beautiful though- then again the Rangers usually do. Let's see how it plays out.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:45 AM
GratefulDead

I don't think we can question the motivation of Drury. He has been a Ranger fan since he was a youngin and thus will be happy to be playing in the uniform. Gomez's motivation might be something to worry about since he is a semi-career Devil. But, he is 27 years old and some can say his prime years are gonna start this season.

GratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:36 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Greetings from Iraq and whoaaaa what a day....

It's been a while since I wrote so I just wanted to say that 11 months of the 15 mon th deployment is almost done and it looks like I will home in time for Thanksgiving.

Anyway, here are some thoughts on the signings:

1) The Rangers are already a good team without Drury and Gomez. In previous seasons (1999, 2001) the Rangers tried to become a playoff team by overpaying for UFA's. Even if the Rangers are a 95-point team for the next four years or so, they'll always have a world class goalie and lots of talent to make a deep playoff run/Cup run

2) I love Dubinsky and Ansimov, but you draft those guys and develop them so they turn into Chris Drury or Scott Gomez. Besides, Dubinsky will get ice timethis season and he will develop nicely. And as many have mentioned already, Drury can shift to wing if Dubinsky shines as a pivot

3) We shouldn't get too attatched to our youth. This isn't the old NHL where everybody plays together for 12 years. Look at Nashville and how they had to unload Upshall, hartnell, Vokoun and Timmonen. The NHL is now like the NFL. Don't get too attached to a player unless he's like Sakic or Yzerman. Even Jagr's days as a NYR are numbered (but not yet so don't panic)

4) Sather deserves a ton of credit for structuring the payroll so he can afford Jagr, Drury and Gomez. I mean, let's think about this for a second. Washington is still paying for Jagr (not all of it but hey).

5) If Drury and Gomez flop and are hurt, the Rangers are still deep enough to stomach it because of Henrik and Jagr....they carried us to 100 points in 2006, why can't they keep doing it if the signings prove to be worthless?

The bottom line is that the signings will not hurt the Rangers in the standings. And for those of you who don't know Chris Drury, he's the closest we'll get to a Messier in regards to leadership, dedication, faceoffs, in the clutch and what he demands from his teammates. I'm not saying he's Mess, but in the new NHL, he's the next best thing

Oh, and Philly still has no goaltending, the Devils' little 13-year run is just about over, and the poor poor Icelanders.....Poti, Yashin, Blake, Kozlov, Zednik, Smyth for John Sim...wow

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:02 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Alright, maybe the contracts are a little up there, but these two were the top two rated free agents on TSN's list, and Sather managed to snag both of them. Obviously Nylander wanted to cash in, and now that he doesn't have Jagr as his wingman, I guarantee you he will be slipping back into the 50-60 pt. range.

The Rangers needed centers, and that's what they got. Gomez helped Gionta score almost 50 goals...imagine what he can do with Jagr.

If we had only signed one of them, and let Nylander walk as well, we're a team fighting for a play-off spot similar to last season. With both of them on the roster, we are contenders for top spot in the East.

With the vast improvements the Rangers have made and the losses sustained by our two biggest rivals, I don't see how anyone can be "upset" or "worried"

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Gottokeeponrisin

At Least We Did Not Sign Poti.

Gottokeeponrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:21 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnticeTheMasses View Post
Sometimes you have to give to get. This is one of those times. Once again, I stress the point: Neither of these guys is going to be an old man when their contracts are up. Drury will be 35-36 and Gomez will be 34. With the way the cap will raise yearly, and the money coming off our books coupled with the fact that Thornton and Iginla both re-upped with their respective clubs, these moves are pretty damn good.

I respect your opinion as a fellow Ranger fan, but Briere set the market with his signing. There was no way the Rangers were getting either Gomer or Drury for anything less than what they got.

PS: We still have enough room to make other moves.
yes.. smart man..

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
Whose to say that Anisimov won't have a shot with the Rangers? IF he maximizes his considerable skill in say 2-3 years then maybe we can all get our wish and see hiim on the first line with Cherps. Gomer can slide to the second line and Drury to the third.
Or...Anisimov can develop into a nice skilled second line center with Gomer on the first and Drury anchoring the very important third line checking role.
The only problem that I see is IF Anisimov AND Dubi progress to first or second line pivots.. I wouldn't bet on it at this point... but if it happens, that is years away and a problem put aside for another day.
again, smart, smart thoughts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
At first I didnt like the Gomez deal but now its growing on me.

Who cares if Jagr is " not happy " that Nylander isnt returning to Broadway? Jagr is going to retire in 1-2 years, and if the Rangers re-signed Nylander for a multi-year contract then they would be stuck with him while he goes into his late 30's.

Both of these deals are for the future. Gomez is only 27, and Drury is 30. Both of these guys have ALOT of hockey left in them.

again, good good comments..

Nylander wanted to stay here too long (probably) and Gomez replaces him.. after that you add a great character guy (read: captain) with championship ring(s)..

to top it all of you HAVE to pay to play.. the market was set by Briere et al, and you can't low ball these guys.. I doubt Sather was sitting there bidding $2 mil more than everyone else just because "he and Dolan are jacka**es"..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

1)Drury & Gomez are winners, especially Drury. That you cannot put a pricetag on. Well, maybe you can, and those deals while steep are necessary for a team making a run at the Cup.

2)Drury and Gomez have always played great when visting MSG, I think the teams collective home ice attitude just increased dramatically.

3)Gotta love those American players

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The cap has done nothing but go up so far. Jagr is likely leaving the team in two seasons (if it is to be believed that he is retiring at the end of this contract).

So, how can you be sure these contracts will kill the cap in the future?

And about playing kids, is 27 old? The best prospects are wings. Gomez and Drury are two centers.

The kids are nice but why are we making a big deal about guys who have never played (or played minimally) in the NHL because two legit NHL players are here. Isn't it possible that a prospect might be overrated or not pan out. Every pick is not going to be a player in the league.
hmm, where have I heard this argument before....

oh...right...

Fleury, Lindros, Bure, Holik, Kamensky, and a list that goes on so long my fingers will be bleeding by the time i finish writing it up.

i do like that were getting these guys in their supposed primes, and neither has a long history of injuries, and both are winners, those are positives. but, to me, it is beyond insanity to pay these guys the kind of money they wanted. honestly, id rather have gone into the year with straka and dubinsky as our top 2.

the only way this pans out is if we win 1 cup in the next 3 years.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:11 PM
ish

I never loved Gomez to begin with and I don't love 7 years but he'll only be 34 at the of the deal. That's not too bad. I'm going to root for him but it's going to take a lot of results and/or time to make me forget his Devil days.

As far as Dubinsky and Anisimov go, I don't understand the concern over them being blocked. I really don't. If Artem Anisimov is tearing up the AHL in two years, and our first three lines are centered by Gomez, Drury, and Cullen, he'll simply play the wing. So many guy are drafted as centers out of amateur hockey. That doesn't mean they have to play center forever. Playing wing is easier anyway.

Also, some people get too excited by prospects. I'm guilty of it too sometimes but we can't pencil in every guy we take in the first three rounds to become full-time legitimate NHL players. We just can't. The odds are so stacked against these guys. Sure, some make it. I feel like so many people on here are counting on Mike Sauer to be a second pair defenseman. I hope he does, don't get me wrong. Let's see how his first year in the AHL goes before he's playing 20 minutes a night for us though.

Everyone here knows the names. Anisimov, Sauer, Montoya, Dubinsky, Bourret, Kveton, Baranka, Korpikoski, Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, Lafleur, Pyatt, Dupont, Graham. Just some of the more notable guys to me. We'll be lucky if 4 or 5 of them turn out to be NHL regulars. Not even the first rounders are locks.

Bottom line: this is hardly signing the likes of Brent Fedyk or Tim Sweeney instead of giving a shot to a young guy we drafted.

ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDead View Post
In 3 years after Straka and Jagr leave...

Korpikoski - Gomez - Bourret
Avery - Drury - Cherpanov
Dawes - Dubinsky - Callahan
Hollweg - Anisimov - Hossa

Staal-Sauer
Girardi-Tyutin
Baranka-Sanguinetti

G- Lundquist, Montoya

I do not see any problem with that... and I am throwing away Prucha for youth. You could neg out Korpi, Dawes, Hollweg, or Hossa for Prucha. You guys think that because Cullen has 3 years left dosent mean we cant get rid of him? Betts surely will be a goner next year or the year after so that will make room for one of our young guys. And don't forget, those two top prospect centers are NOT projected to be anything great.

Looking at the lineup shows A LOT of promise for the future... and thats without any FA signings either.
Korpikoski and Bourret 1st liners and Callahan and Dubinsky, 3rd liners, I highly highly doubt that. And if you believe in 3 years NYR is gonna boost a team full of kids and home grown youth u are sadly mistaken, thats IMO atleast.I just always see'ing NYR making signnings year in and out as they loose vets. To see quit a few homegrown guys is possible but not a whole lineup.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Ola

I got a little mixed feelings on the signings.

Gomez and Drury aren't Zetterberg and Datsyuk. They can't carry a team, with Z and Datsyuk for example thoose two alone are enough to make a team really solid. Gomez and Drury won't do that to a team, even if its backstopped by Lundqvist.

At the same time, the contracts don't scare me much. I am actually pretty optimistic about them. 7 m today is like 5.6 m with the cap that was in place 2 seasons ago. In 4 years thoose two could have decent/good contracts. I defenitly belives its better to be "hot" these days then "cold". Look at Montreal, they have been in the running for like 5-6 big names the last 2 summers and gets nothing. From having a really solid team the first season after the lockout, a ton of speed, just missing maybe 2 big pices from challenging Ottawa/Buffalo and Co they could now go downhill just because they haven't been hot enough for FA's. Teams like Chicago have to settle with whats left.

In 2-3 years JJ, Straka and Shanahan is gone, if we can reaplace thoose 3 with Cherepanov, one of Prucha/Callahan stepping up a notch, and replacing Prucha/Callahan on the 3rd with someone like Korpedo/Pyatt among many many others we suddenly got like 6-9 m again to spend on a UFA if needed. We would be much more attractive with Gomez and Drury already on board thats for sure.

All in all, if it was up to me I would sign Gomez and Drury, but I am not dancing of joy over here in Sweden because we did. I am also pretty nervous about next season. I don't really like all the changes, continuity is really important, now we have to start over again with everything, PP, PK, 1st line and 2nd line, while having a TON of pressure on us. Could be tough.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
hmm, where have I heard this argument before....

oh...right...

Fleury, Lindros, Bure, Holik, Kamensky, and a list that goes on so long my fingers will be bleeding by the time i finish writing it up.

i do like that were getting these guys in their supposed primes, and neither has a long history of injuries, and both are winners, those are positives. but, to me, it is beyond insanity to pay these guys the kind of money they wanted. honestly, id rather have gone into the year with straka and dubinsky as our top 2.

the only way this pans out is if we win 1 cup in the next 3 years.
Remind me again what prospects Fleury, Lindros, Bure, Holik and Kamensky blocked. Give me a list - a list of legit prospects who didn't get a chance here because of Fleury, Lindros, Bure, Holik and Kamensky.

Next, give me a list of current Ranger prospects who are projected to be better centers than these two guys.

Come back with those lists and we'll talk.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-02-2007 at 02:34 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
StartLundqvist

Drury and Gomez were signed to stay. I am not worried at all about Drury. He's going to be great for us. I'm more concerned with Gomez, but, at worst, he should be solid.

If we need a spot for one of our young centers, we can trade a Matt Cullen or Betts if necessary.

StartLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:41 PM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
i dont feel like trying to figure out how many draft picks and prospects we gave up in those trades but dont you remember how philly got knuble and kim jonson?

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
i dont feel like trying to figure out how many draft picks and prospects we gave up in those trades but dont you remember how philly got knuble and kim jonson?
I assume you're talking to me. How many picks and prospects did the Rangers give up yesterday? How many have they traded over the last two seasons?

I remember that Knuble was traded to the Bruins for Rob Dimaio.

Johnson went in the Lindros trade - a trade, which should be pointed out, was not terribly popular around here.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I think Cullen might be traded after this season and give Dubinsky the 3rd line center spot. Drury could slide over to wing on the 2nd line and Anisimov is the center on that line. Maybe someone like Pyatt who is a solid two way player takes over for Betts. Those are the only 3 centers worth talking about in our system besides maybe Jaarko but I can't see him getting a shot with this team.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
SML

My thoughts...

1. I don't like the idea of a seven year contract. That's a loooong time. The only saving grace IMO, is that the contract decends so that in year 7 he's only making 4.5 million, (yeah that sounds wierd.) Try to imagine what contracts are going to look like then and try to tell me that Gomez won't be a bargain in 2013.
2. Everyone is talking about how much money this is. Well, you pay a premium of cash because other than the draft, this is the only chance you have to add a premiere player without giving up anything off your roster. Alot of people have been advocating dealing for Brad Richards, who makes similar money. What would we have given up to get him? Staal? Prucha? Montoya? Probably all three and a first rounder or two. I'm much happier keeping our kids and overpaying these two than giving up our kids and overpaying Richards.
3. The window is only open for so long and we have to strike now. If Sather stood pat, we would be looking back on how we wasted our superstar Jagr's career by never getting him the help he needed to win, much like the Detroit lions wasted the barry Sanders years by never getting anybody to help him. Blast managemnet all you want, but this franchise has never been afraid to roll the dice and will ALWAYS open the checkbook to try and ice a winner. They get blasted by smaller market teams but the point is, Dolan could just as easily sit there and scrape those profits off the top and call it a day as have three max level players on his roster. He deserves better becasue although he doesn't get the results all the time, the guy has never been shy about trying to get the horses to run with.
4. Any time you can add to your roster by subtracting from a rival, you do it. Not only have we gotten stronger, but we really screwed the Sabres and the Devils. It'll be interesting to see how either team recovers from these situations. The Sabres have some good depth, but man this was a tough weekend. The Devils are going to need a freaking miracle because the wheels are coming off the wagon fast. Let's see how great Brodeur is behind this years version of the Devils.
5. I've never been a huge Gomez fan. He's such a laid back guy he strikes me as though he doesn't care. I know that's not true, but whatever, I'll get over it. I think he better hore some security if he wants to drive through Jersey though. Drury has always been one of my favorites, I am really excited about this year.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote