HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Combined Thoughts of the Gomez/Drury Signings

Old
07-02-2007, 05:56 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

vCash: 500
All right, after a day to think this whole thing over, here are my thoughts.

We have to wait and see. The one free agent I wanted the Rangers to sign was Gomez. I was hoping for Gomez and Nylander to be the Rangers top 2 centers. I think that move would have plugged a big hole the Rangers have had up the middle without screwing with the chemistry so much. So in addition to Gomez, they get Drury and lose Nylander. The effect this will have on the chemistry leaves me cautiously optimistic. These moves may or may not help the Rangers secondary scoring. They should, but they may not. The Rangers could finish on top of the East or they could finish out of a playoff spot. It's just too early to tell (and silly to predict with any certainty one way or the other the way many people do on this site).

The biggest thing that will determine the Rangers fate this year other than the chemistry is how they play defensively. The past two years, the Rangers defense has told the story. When they are committed to playing solid team defense, they win; when they play lazy defense they lose. That will be the story of this year's team too I feel.

So I am excited about the signings but at the same time cautiously optimistic about the effects said signings will have on the team. I just can't wait for the freakin' season to start!

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:43 PM
GratefulDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
Korpikoski and Bourret 1st liners and Callahan and Dubinsky, 3rd liners, I highly highly doubt that. And if you believe in 3 years NYR is gonna boost a team full of kids and home grown youth u are sadly mistaken, thats IMO atleast.I just always see'ing NYR making signnings year in and out as they loose vets. To see quit a few homegrown guys is possible but not a whole lineup.
My point was that if all our prospects end up where they are projected or higher, we could fill out the team with them and still look dangerous. Obviously we would get a some vets to fill the 1st and 2nd line, but imagine a top flight winger on the 1st line and a good 2nd line winger with the youth we have. Bourret and Cally centered by Dubi and the 4th line is up for grabs. Sounds pretty sick to me.

GratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Sunny Leone*

I will tell you guys this, I sense alot of here we go again spending money and getting no results. Maybe before there was a tendency to spend alot on PAST THEIR PRIME guys,but I am gonna tell you something about chris drury. This guy alone is gonna spread everything he is about in your dressing room. Thats HEART, professionalism, winning attitude, showing up when it matters most.
At the end of the day you guys got alot more than you think.

Sunny Leone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If they play the way we expect them to, you won't want to trade them. Try that idea on for size.

Sorry, but I'm a little stunned that we went out and got to really, really good players and people are upset because they can't be traded.
Absolutely agree--it's mind boggling.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:59 AM
GratefulDead

What are the better options we had? Everybody during the season was saying 'get younger' yet when we pick up Gomez over Nylander everybody gets pissed off. Essentially we "upgraded" Nylander by picking up Gomez and we got Drury to fill in the 2nd line center gap which everybody was complaining about during the season. We did EXACTLY what everybody was saying during the season to do and yet they still manage to complain!

If there were better options available, please bring them to light.

Old
07-03-2007, 03:48 AM
BwayBshirt

my thoughts are seeing what nylander got on the market just reinforces the idea that sather did the smart thing by getting these 2.

if a team was going to overpay on the ufa market this off-season, better be at forward. the goalie crop is weak and the d-men are either overrated or too one-dimensional (i.e. good on offense or defense, not too many for both).

they will both be part of the core for a long time and after jagr hangs them up. and they both got market value. what's not to like?

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:10 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

The other thing to consider is that this is about as good as the center quality gets on the open market. I mean, folks seem to have this fantasy of picking up a legit top 5 center in his prime as an UFA. But tell me - when has one been available? Joe Thornton just got locked up. When is Lecavalier coming up again? Do you really think Crosby isn't getting a max contract when the time arises? Seriously, even guys like Marleau - don't you think that SJ is going to figure out a way to either lock him up or get value for him from a team that will?

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced we did absolutely as well as we could have in picking up quality, in their prime UFA centers. I think we overpaid, but we had to do it. (And honestly, the thing that has me most concerned is th NMC clauses, even more than the years - the money least of all.) And lastly, now that I think about it - is it even overpaying, if it's market rate...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Phaneuf_for_calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I have been reserving judgement on this until everything sinks in and I get a chance to look things over closely. I hate being that guy that is the downer when everyone is happy. But, my first reaction to this was this......

I would have rathered Nylander/Drury.

The Gomez contract worries me. I wish it didn't but it does. I am trying to be optimistic and hope for the best because these two signings are really exciting and unexpected. The Drury signing is fantastic. I love everything about Chris Drury and he is exactly what this team needed. I don't have a single negative thing to say about him, i love the signing. The Gomez signing however....eh. He is a very good player but 7 years 7 mill per? .....eh

Watch out, Chris Drury may look good but after a couple of seasons if you guys don't win the cup he will demand a trade and for his size of contract you could get a big hit or a small one but he will be gone

Phaneuf_for_calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Noonan25

I dont think anybody mentioned this but we went from Mediocre on the Draw to one of the Best in the league

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
GratefulDead

If people dont have anything to complain about things would get boring around here...

Old
07-03-2007, 12:19 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_for_calder View Post
Watch out, Chris Drury may look good but after a couple of seasons if you guys don't win the cup he will demand a trade and for his size of contract you could get a big hit or a small one but he will be gone
yeah, this comes from a source close to........... no one

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I originally posted the below in the wrong place - thanks to Singin for being so cool in helping me to get it in the right place. Our mods don't get nearly enough credit. On to the post itself:

You know, there is a vocal minority that seems to be really down on these deals. And while I am on record saying that they are a bit longer and a bit more expensive than I would've liked, I've been thinking about it a lot and have come to the conclusion that Slats did a great, GREAT job.

He got the two best free agents on the market, who also happened to be in the team's weakest position. He didn't overpay - he paid market rates. (Indeed, these deals are a lot better than the Briere deal.) We are now a legitimate contender - and will be most likely for years to come (even after Jags leaves, assuming the kids develop/get traded for real value).

So, what's the downside? The argument appears to be that we've burned through our cap space. But stop for a sec - weren't these deals precisely what we cleared that space for?!?!?! Did you expect to sign a Thornton/Lecavalier/Crosby for $8-9MM per year? Really?

Since the new CBA, has one of the truly ELITE, top-5 number 1 centers become available as an UFA? These guys do NOT hit the market. They get locked up by their existing team or get traded for tons of value to another team that then locks them up. The whole point of the cap is to prevent top-5-at-their-position, in-the-prime-of-their-career players from hitting the market. The same is true in the other sports with caps.

The guys that you CAN get as an UFA are those who either (1) are a level below the top (2) have yet to truly bust out or (3) are aging. So, given that this is the way the market works, and Sather just got clearly the best guy in category 1 (Drury) and the best guy, I hope, in category 2 (Gomez), what's the complaint? Please tell me how he could better have used the cap room he so craftily carved out, either this year or next?

Seriously, those of you who are "disappointed," "worried" or "scared" by these moves - how could he have done better?

(And by the way, if we ever do want to get a top-5 center, the only way we're getting him is via trade - and the package going back is going to have to include Gomez anyway, not just to clear cap room, but because a top-5 center is worth a Gomez PLUS two premier prospects.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:43 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The other thing to consider is that this is about as good as the center quality gets on the open market. I mean, folks seem to have this fantasy of picking up a legit top 5 center in his prime as an UFA. But tell me - when has one been available? Joe Thornton just got locked up. When is Lecavalier coming up again? Do you really think Crosby isn't getting a max contract when the time arises? Seriously, even guys like Marleau - don't you think that SJ is going to figure out a way to either lock him up or get value for him from a team that will?

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced we did absolutely as well as we could have in picking up quality, in their prime UFA centers. I think we overpaid, but we had to do it. (And honestly, the thing that has me most concerned is th NMC clauses, even more than the years - the money least of all.) And lastly, now that I think about it - is it even overpaying, if it's market rate...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I originally posted the below in the wrong place - thanks to Singin for being so cool in helping me to get it in the right place. Our mods don't get nearly enough credit. On to the post itself:

You know, there is a vocal minority that seems to be really down on these deals. And while I am on record saying that they are a bit longer and a bit more expensive than I would've liked, I've been thinking about it a lot and have come to the conclusion that Slats did a great, GREAT job.

He got the two best free agents on the market, who also happened to be in the team's weakest position. He didn't overpay - he paid market rates. (Indeed, these deals are a lot better than the Briere deal.) We are now a legitimate contender - and will be most likely for years to come (even after Jags leaves, assuming the kids develop/get traded for real value).

So, what's the downside? The argument appears to be that we've burned through our cap space. But stop for a sec - weren't these deals precisely what we cleared that space for?!?!?! Did you expect to sign a Thornton/Lecavalier/Crosby for $8-9MM per year? Really?

Since the new CBA, has one of the truly ELITE, top-5 number 1 centers become available as an UFA? These guys do NOT hit the market. They get locked up by their existing team or get traded for tons of value to another team that then locks them up. The whole point of the cap is to prevent top-5-at-their-position, in-the-prime-of-their-career players from hitting the market. The same is true in the other sports with caps.

The guys that you CAN get as an UFA are those who either (1) are a level below the top (2) have yet to truly bust out or (3) are aging. So, given that this is the way the market works, and Sather just got clearly the best guy in category 1 (Drury) and the best guy, I hope, in category 2 (Gomez), what's the complaint? Please tell me how he could better have used the cap room he so craftily carved out, either this year or next?

Seriously, those of you who are "disappointed," "worried" or "scared" by these moves - how could he have done better?

(And by the way, if we ever do want to get a top-5 center, the only way we're getting him is via trade - and the package going back is going to have to include Gomez anyway, not just to clear cap room, but because a top-5 center is worth a Gomez PLUS two premier prospects.)
Great two posts. Initially I was uneasy but am now pretty excited about these signings. Seriously though, well put.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
polako

Going through the pages, this is definitely an interesting thread. My take:

I love the Gomez deal. He is fast as heck out there, is decent on draws and really has the vision you are looking for in a center. Yeah, he's being paid a lot of $, but he fills a number of holes for this team.

Drury, I'm not so high on. I prefer centers of the Nylander/Gomez/Thornton variety, who find the passing lanes that nobody else sees. He put up 37 goals last season...I expect about half of that next season.

I don't know, I kind of think that a short term signing for the second line center spot, like Lang or Forsberg, would have better paved the way for a guy like Dubinsky or Anisimov in a couple of years, with Dubinsky or Straka able to fill in at C if one of those guys were to get injured.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:07 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I love the players we signed, but not the contracts. Too high-risk, high-reward.

If you ask me, Drury is overpaid by about 2-2.5 mill, and Gomez is overpaid by about 1 mill or so.

The Big Risks

- The cap not increasing could spell big trouble for the Rangers. This could be a stranglehold in terms of signing a legit defenseman. Our cup hopes could be pinned solely on the defense coming together and become the sum of it's parts, and who knows if our defense is good enough to accomplish that. I think most of us agree that we're a legit defender away.

- Players don't perform to expectations... as the case with ANY contract. Chris Drury is being paid 7 million not because of his offensive numbers... we all know that. He's an intangibles guy... but 7 million for intangibles? He's not all intangibles, he's skilled alright, but 7 million for a guy who has never scored 70 points once in his career, and is 30 years old is a tough pill to swallow, no matter what way you put it. Scott Gomez on the other hand is a 27 year old top-flight playmaker. He won't score a ton of goals, but something tells me that he's waiting to break out offensively, having been held back in Jersey's strict defensive system. Playing with Jagr should boost his numbers as it has Nylander's.

- The Offer Sheet. Someone could try to go low on the Rangers and tender Lundqvist an offer sheet. The odds of him accepting it are slim to none, if you ask me, but it's still something to keep in the back of your mind. Remember when the Rangers ante'd-up for Joe Sakic in 97?

The Big Rewards

- Both players perform to expectations. Gomez and Jagr become a dynamic duo and score 90-100 points a piece, while Shanahan and Drury score 30/40 goals and 60/70 points a piece. Firing on all cylinders, the Rangers could easily be the most dangerous offensive team in the NHL.

- The obvious one... winning a cup. If the Rangers win a cup with these two guys, then it's worth it. Gomez carries the momentum he had in this year's postseason, 14 points in 11 games, and Drury plays like Chris Drury does and scores clutch and timely goals, and plays well defensively...

- A top line center for years to come. Gomez is a legit top line center. He's an excellent playmaker with devastating speed. Can be an absolute gamebreaker. Devils fans, you say he's lazy. It might be completely true, but look at who we've dealt with for the past 3 seasons... JAGR! Jagr's one of the laziest players in the world! Sure, that line might have some goals scored against... but they'll score more goals on the opposition than the opposition will score on them. This also takes away the pressure of drafting a top-line center. This will give the Rangers time to make the right deal on draft day to get a good pick. Or Cherepanov V.2 could happen and somehow a top-flight center prospect falls in the draft. Anisimov has the potential to be a top line player, if any his performance in the RSL playoffs is any indication of what's to come. It gives him time to develop.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote