HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr....

Old
07-02-2007, 03:45 AM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
if gomez is the kind of playmaker we think he is he shouldn't have chemistry issues with jagr.

and if combined with drury that makes jagr the main playmaker...which at this stage of his career is a good thing as opposed to the main goal scorer which he insists he's not.

win-win.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 04:34 AM
TUQ

Today's Denik Sport (Bigest sport magazine in Czech republic) has a story on Jagr http://www.deniksport.cz/Clanek505031.htm

Brief translation of last three articles:
(About Gomez, Drury and Briere Jagr says)
Quote:
"They demand big money, e. g. seven milions for six years. And if we do not sign Nylander, GM will overpay for this guys. And they won't do well and we will be screwed. So it will be better to pay Michael and have that one certain thing than unnecessarily take a risk.", knows Jagr

The ideal scenario for New Yorks club is as follows: to keep Nylander and than manage to sign another center to 2nd line for Shanahan. "Ideal would have been Gomez", describes czech attacker the club's strategy.

He now passes through days of uncertainty. If the management manages to keep Nylander and sign Gomez, Jagr will be much relieved. "It is true" says the best paid player in NHL. So in coming days he will be nervous. According to behind the scene informations, Nylander has made a fair offer to Rangers - when he gets propositions from other clubs, he informs Sather and gives him a chance to even those offers up. If not, he will go somewhere else . And that won't make Jagr happy ...

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:43 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Jagr will be fine. I'm more afraid of gomez stinking it up ala the last god knows how many islanders/devils that came directly here.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Smashley

If I remember correctly during the playoffs Jagr kept referencing something to the effective of "Drury isn't here, ...yet..." with a big grin on his face, so as far as Drury climbing aboard I think all is Kosher on Broadway, but I have no clue about Gomez...

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 06:30 AM
eco's bones

It's a we'll see...Anyway he's going to have to get used to it. I agree with Corto's remarks about Drury at least from my observation of him he's not really a setup guy. I think Gomez is more likely to wind up as Jagr's centerman.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 06:35 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
Today's Denik Sport (Bigest sport magazine in Czech republic) has a story on Jagr http://www.deniksport.cz/Clanek505031.htm

Brief translation of last three articles:
[B](About Gomez, Drury and Briere Jagr says)
What is their interpretation of "fair offer"?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:02 AM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What is their interpretation of "fair offer"?
According to Denik Sport, Nylander's "fair offer" was what follows the hyphen.

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

guess it wasn't such a crazy thought??

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
If Jagr has been so good about the subtraction of Rucinsky and Sykora and been so good about Avery and Shanny...why are you worried about the latest signings? History so far has proven Jagr is a professional and can work through players leaving and being signing....no offense but I see this as a huge "what if" thread that has really nothing to back it up.
A huge what if thread with nothing to back it up?

perhaps...but not all of us think alike...some of us actually like to think outside the box once in awhile and not waste our time on pointless prospect threads (you know what if threads with nothing to back it up)

I'm worried because I Jagr thrived on being the man here....I'm worried because Jagrs comfort level can never be underestimated...

History has shown Jagr can be moody when things aren't "his way"...

nothing to back it up...i'll quote Jagr above

Quote:
"They demand big money, e. g. seven milions for six years. And if we do not sign Nylander, GM will overpay for this guys. And they won't do well and we will be screwed. So it will be better to pay Michael and have that one certain thing than unnecessarily take a risk.", knows Jagr
Quote:
The ideal scenario for New Yorks club is as follows: to keep Nylander and than manage to sign another center to 2nd line for Shanahan. "Ideal would have been Gomez", describes czech attacker the club's strategy.
Quote:
He now passes through days of uncertainty. If the management manages to keep Nylander and sign Gomez, Jagr will be much relieved. "It is true" says the best paid player in NHL. So in coming days he will be nervous. According to behind the scene informations, Nylander has made a fair offer to Rangers - when he gets propositions from other clubs, he informs Sather and gives him a chance to even those offers up. If not, he will go somewhere else . And that won't make Jagr happy ...

sounds like jagr is thrilled with this scenario...
From reading his comments above my scenario isn't that far out of left field...

Old
07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

From what I understand that article is before they signed BOTH Gomez and Drury though?

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:04 AM
dank

as much as I love Jagr, he (needs to) know that he is an old(er) guy now and has to get used to it these signings. he's the captain and because of it needs to help them (Drury and Gomez) get acclimated and comfortable, not the other way around. these guys are here longer term than he is/will be so it's for our future and present. if Jagr was his 20 year old self then he could be making demands, etc. (not saying he is, but he could be)

bottom line: it helps us tremendously and Jagr knows that.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:19 AM
alkurtz

Can we please stop talking about Straka at center?
Love the guy, he's a warrior and an excellent, smart and talented player. But Renney has repeatedly tried him at center over the last two years and each and every time the experiment has failed or only had temporary success. To be an effective center with Jagr, you must be a playmaker first. For all his skills, playmaking from the pivot (a different skill from passing from the wing) is not part of Straka's skill set. Not a knock on him, just a recognition of fact.
Gomez gets first crack at centering the 1st line with Jagr. That's why we signed him.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
Jagr is a grown man. He'll deal with the fact that Nylander is gone...I'm sure Sather will explain that his salary demands were WAYYYYY too high, along with the amount of years (rumored to be four). Sather will play the good guy, saying that we tried our best to get a contract settled, but it never worked out.

I know the guy is sensitive and all, but our team is better now. These are the New York Rangers, not the Jaromir Jagrs. I understand he's the captain, but a true captain wouldn't get upset over his team improving. A true captain would embrace the new players and find a way to win with them.
rightt... kinda like Messier and Nedved eh...

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
rightt... kinda like Messier and Nedved eh...
?

Block More Shots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
dkich96

I will miss Nylander, so will Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
as much as I love Jagr, he (needs to) know that he is an old(er) guy now and has to get used to it these signings. he's the captain and because of it needs to help them (Drury and Gomez) get acclimated and comfortable, not the other way around. these guys are here longer term than he is/will be so it's for our future and present. if Jagr was his 20 year old self then he could be making demands, etc. (not saying he is, but he could be)

bottom line: it helps us tremendously and Jagr knows that.
Unlike the majority on these boards, I didn't want both these guys on our team.... Jagr might not be 25 and in his prime but he is still a captain and key player for the Rangers... Thus, any success the Rangers will have or any doom they will suffer for the next two years will ultimately depend upon the chemistry that the new blood sucking centers we signed will form with Jagr... I agree with Jagr, we should have kept Nylander because we had something that worked for our first line - now we are getting a box of chocolates and we won't know what it tastes like until the season will start... Either way I'm excited about the change but simultaneously am reserved and pessimistic.

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Luca

vCash: 610
I think that Nyr should trade Jagr while he still has some value.
it is pretty obvious that he will go back to "washington" mode soon....

Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:28 PM
jeff spicoli

Validity of Denik Sport article?

Wasn't there just an article posted on this board from Sweden saying Nylander was resigned?

No offense to the foreign press, but I'd like to actually see or hear an interview with Jagr on MSG or WFAN bad mouthing the moves before I worry about whether or not he's going to be affected.

Last edited by jeff spicoli: 07-02-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: computer wigged out before completing post
jeff spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
I think it's too difficult to take someone's translation from what may not be a 100% accurate quote in the first place. My personal take on what Jarda says above is that IF it doesn't work out, we're kind of screwed. However, Jags is a pro, Renney has him believing in the system, he accepted Shanny, and It hink he'll be on board for this, as well. ESPECIALLY with a healed shoulder and a full camp/pre-season to build chemistry with his primary center.

I'm not so naive that I don't think the first month of the season could be a bit bumpy, but I have all the faith in the world that Jags will be on board with this, and it will succeed.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:36 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I think that Nyr should trade Jagr while he still has some value.
it is pretty obvious that he will go back to "washington" mode soon....
Huh, pretty obvious? What are you talking about, the guy played his heart out last season to keep us in the playoffs as long as possible. He said he was going to be even better this year with his shoulder healing and all. Unless your post was sarcastic its completely irrelevant. Do you think Jagr will honestly stink his way into retirement with a center like Gomez? He's not that kind of person

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
You can make a case that only Straka and Rozsival are "safe bets" to return...

I think all 4 are probably back but Prucha and Malik could easily be moved....

Prucha will stay. These two deals make Prucha, a guy who is capable of scoring 25 goals and will probalby be on the books for under a million, extremely valuable as far as cap room.

Dr. Ogrodnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
ihatenewjersey

has long as prucha and straka are still here i think jagr wont complain. and i also remember him saying something about drury... not yet... last year with a smile so im no too worried

ihatenewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
I'm not sure if you caught a little bit of the irony that just took place here over posters freaking out over what others people have to say... But just incase you didn't, I'll just respond by saying I'll see your speculation and raise your speculation with my speculation that your speculation is crap due to the fact that you are, in fact, no god of what I speculate about.

Okay. Can you name one top line... nah, make that top 6 forward (other then Avery) that the Rangers have had since 05-06 that Jagr could have even tried playing with?? Steve Rucchin?? Give me a break.
Is it out of the realm? Of course not... what isn't out of the realm? I just think it's alittle early to just assume that well, he's pissed. I bet he told the Rangers. Now their gonna have to make Straka into a center again just to make ends meet. Hope Drury knows how to play wing.
what's the guys name again....wears # 14...people act like he is the second coming of jesus christ....oh yeah..shanahan...

forgot him huh?

and i hope you read Jagrs quotes in this thread...it seems that my little theory might actually be rooted in something...i don't know...

Old
07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
czechranger

todays interview with Jagr -- http://hokej.sport.cz/clanek/115207-...y-rangers.html

my translation:

"Our team just have become much stronger", said smiling Jagr,

"now we just need to sign one more d-man and we can think about highest aims"

Drury and Gomez are both "real impact players that will help a team" , Jagr also said that he expected that Sather will be very active.

As for the question if it pans out for the NYR Jagr said :" you obviousle never know - it may work or not. However it will have to work now because they signed long term deals" said smiling Jagr.

as for Nylander--

"I m bit dissapointed over that. We played together for some time and we knew what to expect from eachother on the ice."

czechranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
czechranger

there was also small interview with Straka who was obviously hangin out with Jagr

Straka said that NYR "has now big chance to get somewhere next year"

and that he was personally "very surprised that Nylander wasn´t re-signed, because he thought Nylander "was crucial player for the team".

czechranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechranger View Post
"now we just need to sign one more d-man and we can think about highest aims"
He was likely talking about Strudwick.

Quote:
"I m bit dissapointed over that. We played together for some time and we knew what to expect from each other on the ice."
This is important to Jagr, so wouldn't be shocked to see Straka center his line at some point.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote