Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines for Next Year?

Old
07-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Pillard32

vCash: 500
Lines for Next Year?

While it's still early to make an accurate prediction and I'm probably hitting the panic button way too early, it's looking like our brilliant GM Doug Armstrong in his wisdom has decided to not do anything at all and avoid the temptation to spend money and improve the team. If that's the case, what will our lines look like next year?

Right now we have two glaring holes. We need a 1st line LW and a 2nd line RW who can both put the puck in the net.

______ - Modano - Lehtinen
Morrow - Ribeiro - ________
Barnes - Lundqvist - Halpern
Hagman - Jokinen - Miettinen

Our D is pretty set.

Zubov - Boucher
Grossman - Nordstrom
Daley - Robidas

Obviously it would be nice to sign some free agents or make a few trades to bring some offensive talent. But if we stand pat as Armstrong has hinted at doing, it'll probably end up with a farm-built grind-it-out line up with little goal scoring. Estimated goal totals with low expectations are in the parentheses.

Jokinen (15g) - Modano (26g) - Lehtinen (28g)
Morrow (22g) - Ribeiro (18g) - Eriksson (8g)
Barnes (12g) - Lundqvist (12g) - Halpern (6g)
Hagman (13g) - Ott (6g) - Miettinen (14g)

And occasionally slipping in Barch and Lessard - who I feel would be a great addition to the team.

Adding in our defense's offensive output..

Boucher (15g) - Zubov (17g)
Nordstrom (4g) - Grossman (3g)
Robidas (1g) - Daley (6g)

For a grand total of 216 goals. Spread out over 82 games, that comes to an average of 2.6 goals a game. In short the exact same team from last year with the exact same problem which will likely produce the exact same but in all probability poorer results.

Let's just pray Armstrong gets something done to bring some scoring talent to the team. Your thoughts?

Last edited by Pillard32: 07-02-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Pillard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Starsman

And since we haven't drafted well for years, we have to be careful. Junior Lessard could make the team if we fail to make splash in free agency like we always seem to do even though we have decent attendence and a good following.

Starsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsman View Post
And since we haven't drafted well for years, we have to be careful. Junior Lessard could make the team if we fail to make splash in free agency like we always seem to do even though we have decent attendence and a good following.
He still hasn't signed.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:47 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsman View Post
You are aware there's something called the salary cap? It's not like the team can't afford to spend to the cap and then some. How quickly we forget the years of always being the big FA spender.

As far as those lines... I'm sure they'll come into focus soon, but keep in mind that Jokinen can be shuttled up to the 1st line should we only get 1 FA forward.

I think people forget how good this team was looking before the injuries hit. Scoring wasn't really a problem until that point. It didn't get rolling the way we anticipated after people came back, but the playoffs are a different animal. Keeping the same team is not the end of the world, far from it. There's plenty of room for improvement with our current players.... those goal totals are definitely on the conservative side.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
You are aware there's something called the salary cap? It's not like the team can't afford to spend to the cap and then some. How quickly we forget the years of always being the big FA spender.
Salary cap? What's that? I'm here in Glen Sather's office on a conference call with Paul Holmgren and none of us have heard of that term. Please advise.

All kidding aside, it's day freaking one. Relax. I'd rather the Stars not sign anyone to those contracts than bite on one of them.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
All kidding aside, it's day freaking one. Relax. I'd rather the Stars not sign anyone to those contracts than bite on one of them.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
i think we need only one new guys. For the 1st line LW spot (Kozlov)
give the 2nd line RW spot to Lessard and this should work too.

for the D, i really hope we sign Preissing (if he's available for 2-2.5) and dump Robidas
btw, i don't think Tippett will play the 2 slowest and the 2 smallest together

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
They should put the two younger forwards together with Modano.
Eriksson-Modano-Puhskarev/Lessard/Conner
Morrow-Ribeiro- UFA signing
Hagman-Jokinen-Lehtinen
Checking line
or
Eriksson-Modano-Lehtinen
Morrow-Ribeiro- Puhskarev/Lessard/Conner
Hagman-Jokinen-UFA signing(Zubrus)
Checking Line.
Of course this isn't going to happen, since they'd want to keep Ott and Miettinen, which they shouldn't.

Last edited by ________: 07-02-2007 at 02:44 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
i think we need only one new guys. For the 1st line LW spot (Kozlov)
give the 2nd line RW spot to Lessard and this should work too.

for the D, i really hope we sign Preissing (if he's available for 2-2.5) and dump Robidas
btw, i don't think Tippett will play the 2 slowest and the 2 smallest together
Since when have other teams wanted to acquire a five or six d-man at $1.5 million over the next three seasons?

Old
07-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Ripmeister

Junior needs to really step up his game in order to play on Dallas' 2nd line. Grossman might be considered a lock to make Dallas' roster, but I have seen him play in Iowa for the last two seasons, and, other than his size, I don't get it. True, his +/- is respectable, but mostly because of his pairing as opposed to his individual play. He is a mediocre skater, a lackluster passer, has no shot, doesn't pinch, and is a lock for the Lady Byng because he doesn't use that big body ever. I just can't see him stepping in and helping or even holding his own in the NHL. Fistric, on the other hand, has far more of a chance to do both, IMO.

Ripmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:20 PM
________

Quote:
Since when have other teams wanted to acquire a five or six d-man at $1.5 million over the next three seasons?
Look at what's happening in free agency, there's quite a few teams that would take Robidas for a 7th rounder.

Old
07-02-2007, 08:40 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmeister View Post
Junior needs to really step up his game in order to play on Dallas' 2nd line. Grossman might be considered a lock to make Dallas' roster, but I have seen him play in Iowa for the last two seasons, and, other than his size, I don't get it. True, his +/- is respectable, but mostly because of his pairing as opposed to his individual play. He is a mediocre skater, a lackluster passer, has no shot, doesn't pinch, and is a lock for the Lady Byng because he doesn't use that big body ever. I just can't see him stepping in and helping or even holding his own in the NHL. Fistric, on the other hand, has far more of a chance to do both, IMO.
Is it because he isn't looking for the hit, or he avoids contact? I agree with you about the skating- somewhat. He isn't Daley. But I thought he had an efficient stride, and tons of poise with the puck.

btw... are you ripouttheirspleens from the istars board?

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Look at what's happening in free agency, there's quite a few teams that would take Robidas for a 7th rounder.
I'm not so sure. He is valued more in Dallas than on other teams.

Old
07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Ripmeister

He is just timid. He both avoids hitting and is never looking for the hit. He tends to try to let his reach do the work instead of getting his sweater dirty. Fistric plays the body far more AND far more effectively. Yes, I am that ripouttheirspleens. Is that a bad thing? I tried to be ripouttheirspleens on here but I was unable to activate that name for some reason.

Old
07-02-2007, 11:05 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmeister View Post
He is just timid. He both avoids hitting and is never looking for the hit. He tends to try to let his reach do the work instead of getting his sweater dirty. Fistric plays the body far more AND far more effectively. Yes, I am that ripouttheirspleens. Is that a bad thing? I tried to be ripouttheirspleens on here but I was unable to activate that name for some reason.
no, not a bad thing at all. I was gonna try to recruit some of you i stars locals to this board, and the andrews dallas stars board. Getting first hand accounts of the prospects is always a plus.

As far as Fistric & Grossman.... I only went to 2 i stars games, but Fistric did nothing to impress me. He seemed slow & not great with the puck. Puck play is crucial from the Dmen in the Stars' system.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Ripmeister

Among our Dmen, I would have to say that Mario Scalzo is the best with the puck. Fistric is not slow, however, and is very good with the puck. The guy just got better and better as the season wore on. He is great at playing the angle, hits like a ton of bricks, is ultra-physical in the corners, is a master of pinching to keep the puck in the offensive zone, and has the timing and skating ability to mete out some bone-jarrring hip-checks. He has a nice shot from the point that he needs to use more, and is a good stickhandler for a defenseman. Most importantly he has the ice vision to make himself a damn good PP quarterback. At least that is my take on his ability. Marius Holtet is actually my favorite player, but I try to be as objective in my assessment of our guys talent as possible.

Old
07-03-2007, 12:13 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Do you think Niskanen has much of a chance of beating out Grossman for a D-man spot on the big team this year based upon his play in Iowa?

OttMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow View Post
Do you think Niskanen has much of a chance of beating out Grossman for a D-man spot on the big team this year based upon his play in Iowa?
I have heard Army speak about 10x on next year. I think Lundqvist, Erikkson and Grossman are locks unless they are just awful.

Niskanen could get ashot if we suck at the deadline and decide to trade either Matty or Boucher

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I would have thought Morrow would be on the top line.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
I have heard Army speak about 10x on next year. I think Lundqvist, Erikkson and Grossman are locks unless they are just awful.

Niskanen could get ashot if we suck at the deadline and decide to trade either Matty or Boucher
And Niskanen plays on the right side and is a right-handed shot. The Stars, at present, have three d-men who do the same. Grossman is a lefty. That gives the nod to Grossman alone.

Old
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Pillard32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
I would have thought Morrow would be on the top line.
Nope. Morrow played on the second line with Ribeiro pretty much all of last year.

Pillard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:18 PM
txomisc

Quote:
And Niskanen plays on the right side and is a right-handed shot. The Stars, at present, have three d-men who do the same. Grossman is a lefty. That gives the nod to Grossman alone.
yea but robidas sucks so maybe niskanen can beat him out

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
yea but robidas sucks so maybe niskanen can beat him out
I'd certainly move him if I was GM and could, but then again, I never would have signed him to such a contract knowing what's in the pipeline.

Niskanen, from what I've read and seen twice during the AHL playoffs, Niskanen has a good point shot. Robidas? Yeah, but I swear the guy can't physically see the net. I'd love for such a scenario to happen, but I seriously doubt the Stars will relegate Robidas to the bench. The more likely scenario if Niskanen makes the Stars move a player, it's going to be Boucher.

Old
07-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Youngweb

Everyone is relegating Lundqvist to the checking line a little too fast. 16 G's in 40 AHL Games - that over a full season is comparable to what any of the other candidates can do or have done - I could see him earning a spot in the top until a trade is made. Him and Morrow banging while Ribeiro fishes for pucks could be better than any "skilled" players (or should that be soft?) playing on the line.

BTW, I have read on these boards some fans dead against a Glen Murray trade because of the second year on the contract - who cares, the man can score. If healthy for the year, he's a guaranteed 30-35 goal man. Is that not what this team needs? if they lose 4 or 5 of their 4th liners (we'd still have enough of them), Murray's 4 mil wouldn't hurt at all.

Youngweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
________

Quote:
Niskanen, from what I've read and seen twice during the AHL playoffs, Niskanen has a good point shot.
Yes he does and it's very accurate.

Quote:
Robidas? Yeah, but I swear the guy can't physically see the net. I'd love for such a scenario to happen, but I seriously doubt the Stars will relegate Robidas to the bench. The more likely scenario if Niskanen makes the Stars move a player, it's going to be Boucher.
No, if somehow Niskanen made it Robidas would be gone, but neither Grossman or Niskanen are ready for top four minutes next season, then your forced to have 2/4th of your top four Robidas and Daley which completely makes the team worse.