HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Hill

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 09:08 AM
Pwnasaurus

vCash: 500
Sean Hill

What are your thoughts on Sean Hill's play and what type of offer would it take to get him if he was to be made available?

Old
12-30-2003, 10:18 AM
bleedgreen

hes not the swiftest guy in the league, but hes very physical. typically a solid power play guy due to his hard shot-but hes not a natural point producer, despite his pp minutes. hes older so he has lost some mobility and he can be outhustled because of it. his penalties are either the result of that, or because he pretty mean with his stick. i personally think he is struggling this year, though he kinda broke out the other night. with carolina facing losing possibly 2-3 defensemen to free agency, old age, lockout etc.. i think the canes would want a young d back. not a huge prospect, just someone who can play as the 5/6 guy either now or in the near future. if they decide their not making the playoffs, i would think they would accept a draft pick for him(2-3rd rounder?)

Old
12-30-2003, 10:34 AM
jeffbear

Carolina can't really afford to move Hill right now ... unless there's a better power play point shot obtained somewhere along the line. He ain't all that great, but he and Markov are the only two guys with a decent point shot on the power play ... and unlike Markov, Hill actually pulls the trigger every so often.

He can be a liability in his own end on some nights ... mostly because he's not a very stable or swift skater ... but Hill brings a snarl and takes his job seriously and fits well in the room here with his sense of humor ... the Canes being one of those teams that badly needs a sense of humor.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Plan 9

He is a UFA at the end of this season, right? I'd like to see him gone. Perhaps we could get a mid-pick around the trade deadline.

Old
12-30-2003, 12:20 PM
bleedgreen

i agree they cant afford to move him right now, but if by march theyre not any closer to the playoffs id assume he would be one of the guys to go. let someone in the minors get some experience if the playoffs are out of reach and get something back for hill instead of heading into ufa with nothing - they're not risking the hopes of the cup on this transaction.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:45 AM
jeffbear

Yeah ... but you know how it goes with this team. It would be rare indeed for them to be so far out of the picture by March that swapping a bunch of vets for picks and prospects is an easy call. Last year was an exception for sure, but this bunch nearly always is at least within a hot streak of contention by then.

IF they are 10 points out of 8th by March 1, then look for Wesley, Hill, possibly Hedican and Jaime Storr to be dispatched for whatever they can get for 'em. The other pending UFA is Francis, but there's no way they move him in his final year unless he requests it, and he's said he's not interested.

Old
12-31-2003, 02:40 PM
bleedgreen

how about ward? does he have another year? if not, he must be ufa-right. i thought he was 31. im sure someone would want him at the trade deadline for depth. hes had a tough year so far, maybe hell pick up his play and raise his value-as a gift to us?

Old
12-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbear
Hedican
Didn't they just sign him to a really longterm deal?

Old
12-31-2003, 02:46 PM
bleedgreen

unless hedican is part of bringing back actual value, i dont think he goes regardless of how theyre doing. he has a few years left on an affordable contract, and hes arguably their best guy. i think hell be around a couple more years, unless the offer cant be beat (doubtful). the other guys will go for less, being rentals and more typically the type to go at the deadline. hedican and markov are the core to be built around, ithink. if they get anything back for these guys(other than a 5th round pick)-it needs to be younger d. i dont think anyone will offer any o players of value, and they need bodies back there.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:51 AM
jeffbear

Yeah ... I only included Hedican because he would likely have some actual value on the trade market. He is signed to a deal with three more years on it, and they'd be perfectly happy to keep him methinks ... but if you're tearing it down and starting over, it's not like Hedican is all that freaking good. He's more solid than anything else, and adds nothing to the power play at all.

Old
01-02-2004, 08:57 AM
bleedgreen

you're right, of the d most likely to go - he would have the most value and he wouldnt still around by the time they rebuilt. i just have always liked him, and i think if you rated rutherfords trades as +/-, that trade would be one of the few + ones. he could be the right kind of veteran to keep around if they ever did start over-hes going to be a solid skater for a long time yet. i just dont want him to discarded for a pick in a salary dump-as i think hill and wesley might.

Closed Thread