HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oates

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 08:25 AM
coyote

vCash: 500
Oates

I think that the great ones know when to hang them up and get on with their life. " Gretzky "

Old
12-30-2003, 08:38 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I think that the great ones know when to hang them up and get on with their life. " Gretzky "
What is the point of this?

Old
12-30-2003, 09:00 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i think he's refering to Oates lack of production. In any case his wingers arent sticking anything into the net so even if he kept dishing out chances his wingers wouldn't be able to score anyway :mad:

Old
12-30-2003, 09:06 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Do you remember Smyth's goal against Vancouver? Where Staois made the great slapshot pass? If it wasn't for Oates taking a hit and simultaneously passing the puck back to the point, the Oilers wouldn't have scored there. He will get going.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:47 AM
capebretonoilers

When ?

Old
12-30-2003, 09:51 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I know that I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be a high profile Dopita. I was a big supporter of Jiri until the end however, and I still think that if he was healthy he'd have been fine. Adam figured it would take 10 games to get back into the swing of thing, but I think he was being a little ambitious. When you get that old it takes alot longer to get things back and he'd been sitting for a long long time. I think if Smyth and Izzy continue to flank him we'll see some results.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:54 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretonoilers
When ?
I said this when he was signed, and I'll say it again. Usually when guys miss training camp, even when they are skating, they take a while to get going. Oates missed alot more than training camp and wasn't skating at all. As I said then, we won't see the real Oates until the second half.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:57 AM
capebretonoilers

Hope you are right but he hasn't shown much so far.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:07 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I don't see how anybody can say that he hasn't helped the team at all though in his time here so far. Offensively he hasn't been what we are hoping for, but a mix of him being old and needing time to get going and his linemates not playing good have kept his numbers down. However, look at this team on the dot since he arrived. It is extremely obvious that he isn't just winning draws at a good % for the Oilers, but he's also helping our other centers in taking draws.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:29 AM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I don't see how anybody can say that he hasn't helped the team at all though in his time here so far. Offensively he hasn't been what we are hoping for, but a mix of him being old and needing time to get going and his linemates not playing good have kept his numbers down. However, look at this team on the dot since he arrived. It is extremely obvious that he isn't just winning draws at a good % for the Oilers, but he's also helping our other centers in taking draws.
When they signed him I was very happy because I thought we had a center that could help us on the ice right away but now I think he should be playing with the guys who played in the first game of the Heritage Classic. Now that I think about it if he was serious about playing again why was he not skateing. The Comrie type players were all skateing and trying to stay in game shape and they are much younger. Does not make sense.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:32 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
When they signed him I was very happy because I thought we had a center that could help us on the ice right away but now I think he should be playing with the guys who played in the first game of the Heritage Classic. Now that I think about it if he was serious about playing again why was he not skateing. The Comrie type players were all skateing and trying to stay in game shape and they are much younger. Does not make sense.
He was skating... but stopped about 2 weeks before the Oilers signed him because he didn't think he would get signed.

Besides, skating around is a lot different than practicing or playing an NHL game. He hasn't done alot for the Oilers on the score sheet, but he has contributed.

Hopefully he can start racking up the points soon.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:32 AM
PineJockey

Quote:
If he wasn't serious about playing why would he move from the sunshine to Edmonton? Now THAT does not make any sense.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:35 AM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
If he wasn't serious about playing why would he move from the sunshine to Edmonton? Now THAT does not make any sense.
Maybe a couple of Mill had something to do with it.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:35 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Do you remember Smyth's goal against Vancouver? Where Staois made the great slapshot pass? If it wasn't for Oates taking a hit and simultaneously passing the puck back to the point, the Oilers wouldn't have scored there. He will get going.
Yeah, he took the hit, dropped the puck to Cross and Cross fed it cross-ice to Staios. Staios faked the shot and fed it to Smyth at the far side of the net. Very good thinking by Oates to keep the play alive.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:41 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
It's 1.5 mil...

He has made a lot of money over his career, and I don't think 1.5 mil from a team who is probably only an 8th seed is necessarily worth it if you are only about the money.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
I think the fact that he stayed in Edmonton over the Christmas break to keep skating and working on his conditioning says something about his reason for playing.. he might not be scoring a point/game right now but that is no reason to jump off his bandwagon..

Closed Thread