HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think of the moves (Poll time!)

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes your thoughts
both players were worth what they signed, its a great move 28 23.93%
gomez was worth it, drury wasnt, but the improvement in the team makes it worth it 6 5.13%
gomez wasnt worth it, drury was, but the improvement in the team makes it worth it 29 24.79%
neither are worth it, but the improvement in the team makes it worth it 40 34.19%
neither are worth it, and the improvement in the team doesnt make it worth it. 10 8.55%
gomez was worth it, drury wasnt,still not enough improvement to make it worth it 1 0.85%
gomez wasnt worth it, drury was, still not enough improvement to make it worth it 3 2.56%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Just for the record, love BOTH signings...Two top centers in their prime with alot of years left for an organization with very little at C...Been saying for quite awhile that the next two years as the end of the Jagr (and SHanny) era was the time to go for it..But smartly by not giving up assets willy nilly...Sather has accomplished that..The COntracts and Cap hits will work themselves out...And the youth brigade will be happy because lower paid youth will also get more chances..and eventually more responsibility...We just have to hope that our youth is as good as many think they are.,..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
neither are worth it, but the improvement in the team makes it worth it

That was my choice. We overpaid by at least a million for Gomez, and by about 2 million for Drury. However, with the cap going up 6 million, that doesn't sting to badly.

We didn't have much of a choice, though. We were already severly understaffed at center, and didn't have a lot of options.

Nylander wanted 4 years. No way I would want Sather to give him more than 3, preferably 2. I would have given him 5+ for 2 years, but he obviously wanted a longer deal. Nylander getting a 4 year deal with us would have worked out fine for the next couple years, but after that we would pay the price.

Gomez and Drury, while we overpaid, are better options for multiple reasons. First off, they are younger. Second, partly because they are younger, they give us more options for the post-Jagr era. Nylander would have been a carry-over from the Jagr era by the end years of his contract, now instead we have two players who can carry us into that era without regret.

At the end of the day, the team is much improved both for today and the future. We overpaid to do so, but we didn't have much choice. I was really worried that if we lost Nylander we would be SOL on centers this next season. I was already prepping myself for a year of Comrie and Lang.

So yeah, I can live with these moves, and enjoy them.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:02 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Gomez and Drury, while we overpaid, are better options for multiple reasons. First off, they are younger. Second, partly because they are younger, they give us more options for the post-Jagr era. Nylander would have been a carry-over from the Jagr era by the end years of his contract, now instead we have two players who can carry us into that era without regret.
What makes you think Jagr is gone at the end of his contract? My guess is Jagr will retire a Ranger in 2013 at the age of 41. Why not?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
bender13

I always liked Drury.

Gomez is a crapshoot, he could bomb big time.

Plus he smirks too much for my liking.

bender13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I don't remember a time when a highly sought after UFA was EVER paid what they were truly worth.

At this time of year, when you have more demand than you have supply, the cost for that supply will ALWAYS be inflated.

Were both Gomez and Drury overpaid? Yes, but so was Hannan, Sarich, Briere and Hamrlik and Blake and Smyth and so on and so forth.

The bottom line is they were paid what someone was willing to pay them which make what they got Fair Market Value. Auctions are done all the time where an item is sold and the market is set by those bidding on that item. If a $10.00 trinket sells for $100.00 then that trinket was worth $100.00 regardless of it's original price.

GM's are looking to make their teams better and when you feel that you are one or two players away from being a serious contender, kicking in a little extra is worth it.

Both players were paid more than they are worth, but the improvement to the team this year coming and 4 years down the line justify the expenditure

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Drury scored 37 goals last year...I think that's the important stat to look at for him.

And you can't tell me you'd rather have an aging Nylander signed for fours years (37 when contract expires) over a young Gomez (34 when contract expires).
Actually, Nylander is going to be 35 when the season starts and almost 39 when the contract expires

and I agree with you, I'd rather not be a part of that.

Also, when Nylander retires in 2 years, his cap hit will still be felt the year after he's gone. So it's a double edged sword that the Capitals stuck in their own gullet with this signing.

Old
07-03-2007, 12:39 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
What makes you think Jagr is gone at the end of his contract? My guess is Jagr will retire a Ranger in 2013 at the age of 41. Why not?
Depending on the money he's going to want, he may be a goner after this contract whether he wants to continue playing or not.

I love Jagr in NY, he seems to be the same Jagr from his Pitt days, but that being said, he doesn't have a blank check with which to draw from.

After this contract (assuming the option is picked up) Jagr will be 37, I'd be willing to pay him 5 million with reachable bonuses that could push that compensation to 7-7.5 million annually (The CBA allows for bonuses for players over 35 years old while not having those bonuses count against the teams cap)

And I'm not willing to extend a multi-year deal at that point either. Year to year with a gentleman's agreement and understanding that we would commit to resigning him each year he wants to play beyond this current contract.

we can't be allowed to fall into the position of having a player retire in the midst of a long term contract signed after their 33rd b-day. Imagine if we were to sign Jagr to a 4 year extension at 7 mil per and he retires after the 2nd year, we'd have one full season of dead money against our cap to the tune of 7 million. No player is worth that type of commitment or risk.

Old
07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I like the Drury move but Gomez is too much and too long. Well mainly too long.

Not a huge margain if you think about it. Gomez is worth maybe 5 mill? we gave 7. 2 mill overpayment, eh.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
bagh

vCash: 562
why can't I vote on this poll?

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote