HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Random thoughts on the Sabres game

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2004, 04:46 AM
TexSen

vCash: 500
Random thoughts on the Sabres game

1) The streak started the game after Pothier suffered the concussion. The streak ended the game Pothier returned from the concussion.

2) ``Almost every goal I've scored on Lalime I've gone top shelf,'' Dumont said. (Every goal scored last night on Lalime was top shelf)

Three games in four nights with back to back road games leaves me somewhat indifferent about this loss. Sure it came against a lower standings team, but I can see how the team would be a little tired.

Still, it was a great opportunity to close the gap with the Leafs and with the game tied going into the final three minutes of the third period, a great opportunity to take at least one point from the building.

With the quote above by Dumont it brings to the forefront my recent feelings about Lalime. I think the book is out on him as a goalie and the Sabres read that book last night. Go top shelf, he drops too early.

More musings: Our fourth line without Vermette or Neil on it is absolutely useless. I don't pretend to know what is wrong with Shastlivy, but it is almost as if he is playing his indifferent perimeter game to perfection. I hardly notice him out there and one might speculate that he could be playing to NOT be traded. Is there no one in Bingo we could put on the ice while Shastlivy finds his game? Can Shastlivy not be sent down?

Other thoughts: Will a Pothier shot from the point ever make it on net? And no, I don't mean wide, I mean actually find it's way all the way to the net.

Here's to regrouping tomorrow.

Old
01-10-2004, 06:12 AM
sensfan18

First off, we were not going to go undefeated for the rest of the season and all sens fans know Buffalo always gives us fits, the writing was on the wall.

Shastlivy is afraid that he might be hit, that is what is wrong with him. He is waaaayyyy to soft and soon as someone comes near he forgets about the puck to avoid being hit.

The streak has nothing to do with Pothier, for his first game back he looked quite decent (you could say Hnidy, even though I'm a big fan, does more harm to the team when he plays than when Pothier plays).

Fact of the matter is, as much as I like him, Spezza cost us the point (mind you if they would have played better the first 2 periods it could have been a different story). You should never put yourself in that position to have a call like that go your way in the dying minutes. No arguments that it was not a penalty, it was. He crossed checked Briere for no reason right in front of the ref. Briere was not going to score behind the net, just a dumb penalty.

Dumont's goal was just a great shot, if not for a couple incredible saves the game could have been out of reach, so I can not hang blame on Patrick. However, I am beginning to notice that this team plays a hell of a lot better/harder for Prusek, I don't understand why.

BTW, Let's not forget that Biron was absolutely incredible last night.

Last edited by sensfan18: 01-10-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old
01-10-2004, 08:28 AM
HF2002

That players go high and score on Lalime is no surprise. The book is out on Lalime and if you watch, 9 times out of 10 legitimate shots go high on him(as opposed to the shots that are just thrown at the net).

For some reason Buffalo always give the Sens trouble and I've never figured out why. Biron certainly had a strong game last night but Ottawa always blew their chances to take the lead early on. I was amazed at the crowd when the Sens scored - one could hear legitimate pro-Sens cheering from the crowd. It looked as though there were quite a few fans in the crowd wearing Sens paraphernalia, which was nice to see.

While the call against Spezza was a legitimate penalty by the book, I also thought it was BS call. How often do you see that occur in front of the net and it never gets called? With so much of the crap that never got called all game, how can they suddenly decide to call a penalty when they hadn't been calling anything all game long? I guess it was just Ottawa's turn, and to some extent a call that the refs make against a younger player. Basically all I'm saying is if you're not going to call it earlier in the game why would you suddenly call it then? Not to mention they missed a blatant hooking infraction on the pernalty kill when Van Allen(who was finally contributing) brought the puck into the Sabres zone. He was hooked right off the puck by two players. The Sabres then brought the puck up the ice and scored. I'm not blaming the loss on the refs, I just get frustrated when the inconsistencies lead to a loss.

Closed Thread