HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Next year's standings in the West

Old
07-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Eternity Is Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Can you say good luck charm?

Signed,

B. Murray
might as well get a four leaf clover or a rabbit's foot, its a heck of a lot cheaper

Eternity Is Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
hockeyfish

vCash: 50
Alright

Anahiem
Colorado
Detroit
--------------
Vancouver
San Jose
Calgary
Minnesota
Chicago/Nashville

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582 View Post
I think it will be the same as last year in that we will see 3 teams from the Pacific, 3 from the Northwest, and 2 from the Central. I think Anaheim, SJ, and Detroit are the only locks, while Columbus, Phoenix, and Edmonton will finish at the bottom of their divisions. That leaves spots for 3 of Vancouver, Calgary, Minnesota, and Colorado; a spot for either Dallas or LA (if they can get a goalie); and 1 of Nashville, Chicago, or St. Louis.
Yep, this is an accurate assesment of how it's going to be, barring any radical developments. Though there is an outside chance for a Central team to knock off a Pacific. The Central looks to be a more balanced division where as in the Pacific San Jose and Anaheim should beat up on the other 3.

And I'm sure people are bored but there's still a long ways to go before the season to start, and plenty of UFA's and trades to be signed. But things will still end up as above, with many races probably coming down to which team stays the healthiest.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:12 PM
luckoftheduck

I think the Red Wings will take the West yet again with the Ducks again a close second.
1) Red Wings
2) Ducks
3) Colorado
4) San Jose
5) Minnesota
6) Vancouver
7) LA Kings---this is coming from a Ducks fan keep in mind....imagine this playoff series: Ducks vs. Kings....oh yeah....Socal rivals
8) Dallas Stars.

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Pillard32

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckoftheduck View Post
I think the Red Wings will take the West yet again with the Ducks again a close second.
1) Red Wings
2) Ducks
3) Colorado
4) San Jose
5) Minnesota
6) Vancouver
7) LA Kings---this is coming from a Ducks fan keep in mind....imagine this playoff series: Ducks vs. Kings....oh yeah....Socal rivals
8) Dallas Stars.
Another first round exit for the Stars then.

Pillard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:18 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
1) Red Wings
2) Ducks
3) Colorado
4) San Jose
5) Minnesota
6) Vancouver
8) Dallas Stars.
I can only dream...

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Ruutu15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillard32 View Post
Another first round exit for the Stars then.
what else were you expecting?

Ruutu15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Jinsell

I really don't like trying to predict this early, but I'll go by division.

North West

1. Colorado - I would not have said this before July 1. However, I did think Colorado WOULD get back into playoff contention this year. They really poured it on towards the end and nearly bumped Calgary right out. Two very good free agent signings on their part have made them a far better team. They have youth and veteran leadership. Their only question mark is goaltending.

2. Vancouver - It would be stupid to say Vancouver's success was based solely on luck last year. Teams don't go on streaks for that long. Much of their success is owed to the stellar play of Luongo, who is probably the best goalie in this division. Scoring and offense is a question mark. However, frugal spending during the free agent frenzy may have made the Canucks look smart. Expectations are high in Vancouver, but not the rest of the league. Expect the Canucks to be the dark horse.

3. Minnesota - As others have said very much the same team as last year. A good hockey club that is for sure. However, the Wild are taking a small gamble by placing Backstrom in the #1 spot. Much of Minnesota's success will also depend on whether Gaborik can stay healthy.

4. Calgary - The days of the Flames being Stanley Cup contenders seem to be closing in on them. Mike Keenan as head coach does not sit well with me. Given their free agent situation next off-season, it seems that putting up big bucks on free agents tells me Calgary is gonna try and make one last vindictive swipe towards the Cup. If you ask me those this team is self-destructing. An over-inflated roster with a ton of free agent problems next off-season.

5. Edmonton - Clearly still in re-building mode Edmonton will probably not be able to compete with the rest of the division. Things just didn't seem to go Kevin Lowe's way at the draft or in free agent signings.

Pacific

1. Anaheim - Last year's champs will most likely remain a dominant force, even if Neidmayer and Selanne retire. However, I do not expect them to cruise to the Cup final like they did this past June.

2. San Jose - The Sharks remain a strong team, but one must wonder if they are going to shop Marleau and sign any free agents.

3. Dallas - The Stars days of being in the playoff thick seem to be running out. They don't really have a very bright future in terms of prospects and most of thier top guys are starting to enter the twilight of their NHL careers. Still, solid play by Modano and company as well as great goaltending by Turco will keep the Kings out of 3rd place and Dallas will earn another 1st round playoff elimination.

4. Los Angeles - The Kings have improved substantially in terms of depth, but chemistry will be the deciding factor for this team. They also desperately need a goalie if they wanna get into the playoff race.

5. Phoenix - Phoenix will remain a mess.

Central

1. Detroit - The Red Wings can catch their breath as Nashville seems to no longer be an issue in vying for the central title. However, Chicago and St. Louis are becoming forces to be reckoned with. Detroit takes this weak division for now, but things could change in the coming years.

2. St. Louis - The Blues improved substantially last year and their future looks bright. Expect them to build upon their late-season success last year and possibly make it back into playoff contention. However, scoring remains a concern.

3. Chicago - With all the youth and talent on Chicago, you have to think that Blackhawks management can't screw this up right? Well...let's hope not. Much of Chicago's success will depend on how healthy the team can stay. If things go well they might be able to finish 2nd, but considering how poor they were last year it will take some time before they become a true contender. A playoff spot is not out of the question. This hockey club is making some very positive strides.

4. Nashville/Kansas City - Poor Predators. With all the uncertainty in the team's future, the talented Nashville team was torn apart in a free agent firesale. Not a way to win over fans. Expect the Preds to return to the same crappy team they were a few years ago.

5. Columbus - Poor management has kept the talent on Columbus from blossoming. Expect another disappointing season.

Jinsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Mikeymikeymikey

Send a message via AIM to Mikeymikeymikey
1. Anaheim
2. Detroit
3. Vancouver
4. San Jose
5. Colorado
6. Minny
7. Dallas
8. St.Louis
9. Calgary
10. Chicago
11. Nashville/KC/wherever
12. LA
13. Columbus
14. Edmonton
15. Phoenix

Mikeymikeymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Eb0la11

1. Anaheim
2. Detroit
3. Calgary
4. San Jose
5. Colorado
6. Vancouver
7. Nashville
8. Minnesota
9. Dallas
10. Los Angeles
11. St.Louis
12. Chicago
13. Columbus
14. Phoenix
15. Edmonton

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 05:40 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
I know im a kings fan and all, I just dont see anaheim as #1 overall in the west, They will have to face to many good teams....unlike the Redwings.

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 05:48 PM
MOENing

Quote:
1) Red Wings
2) Ducks
3) Colorado
4) San Jose
5) Minnesota
6) Vancouver
8) Dallas Stars.
I'd rather play the kings in the finals more of a sting

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
WILDTATE10

1. Aneheim
2. Detroit
3. Vancouver
4. San Jose
5. Minnesota
6. Dallas
7. Col/Calg
8 St. Louis
9. Col/Calg

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
I know im a kings fan and all, I just dont see anaheim as #1 overall in the west, They will have to face to many good teams....unlike the Redwings.
Not really much of a difference anymore. The only real threat to Anaheim in the Pacific Division is San Jose, and Anaheim is a better team. Detroit may not have one consistent real threat like in the past with Nashville, but St. Louis, Chicago, and Nashville will all challenge for the playoffs. I don't see the Kings or Coyotes in the playoffs, the Kings moreso because they don't have a goalie, and the Coyotes are rebuilding.

Here's what I see:
1. Anaheim Ducks
They have lost no one significant from their Championship roster, of course, that is considering Niedermayer coming back. He hasn't announced his retirement, so we continue with him as part of the team.

2. Calgary Flames
Last season it was a ton of talent, not enough desire. That should change with Mike Keenan behind the bench. It was between them and Colorado, and I like the Flames because of their goaltending.

3. Detroit Red Wings
The division won't be a cakewalk with one challenger like the past few years. Several teams will contend for the playoffs, but the Wings are still the best team. Goaltending (Hasek or not?) is an issue.

4. San Jose Sharks
The youngest team in the NHL got statistically younger, but more experienced. They still are in contention for a UFA winger and defenseman. Expect 75+ points from Thornton, Cheechoo, Marleau, and Michalek, and a healthy Steve Bernier is a huge lift. Ryane Clowe over a full season should project to 20+ goals. The youth on defense could be a problem.

5. Colorado Avalanche
This team is ready to return to the playoffs. Their top 6 is as good as any other in the league, and the addition of Scott Hannan shores up their defense. Peter Budaj played very well down the stretch, but we'll see how he does in a full season.

6. Minnesota Wild
Same team as the year before, just more consistent goaltending.

7. Vancouver Canucks
Luongo.

8. Nashville Predators
How in the world can people be predicting this team to be in the cellar? They still have a load of talent up front, and their defense is in the top 5-7 in the league, especially their top 3 of Suter, Weber, and Hamhuis.

I think Chicago, St. Louis, and LA will challenge for the playoffs.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:11 PM
ukyote

Send a message via MSN to ukyote
We'll finish last overall (never mind the West) this year, but frankly if we did anything else it would hinder our development.

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:16 PM
NucksDaynastyACometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
Fake Canucks fan I see.

canucks are in a leagure ofg their own they are a the nex tnhl daynasty

NucksDaynastyACometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:19 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternity Is Now View Post
we've got one for the east, so i figured lets look at the west.

1. Anaheim - even with the potential lose of niedermayer and selanne, they have still put together a great team and will finish tops in the west - 115+pts

2. Vancouver - watch for luongo to steal the season for the canucks and naslund will bounce back to have a career year. 110+pts

3. Detroit - wont win the conference this year cause the division has improved and will have a harder time facing teams like chicago and st louis 8 times a year. 105+pts

4. San Jose - will fall just short of beating Anaheim for the divison but will still have the 2nd best record in the west. 110+pts

5. Colorado - with additions of Smyth and Hannan Colorado will be a lot better this next year, could finsih higher but their goaltending is a little suspect. 105+pts

6.Calgary - Iginla and Kipper will again take the flames to the playoffs, will do better then last year but not a whole lot. still in one of the toughest divisions in the league. 100+pts

7. Dallas - Still have a good team, Turco is still one of the top goalies and with Modano back for a full season they will be in the playoffs - 100+pts

8. Chicago - This is my wildcard pick, i think havlat will say healthy and lead this team and they will surprise to squeeze into the playoffs. 95+pts

9. Minnisota- Backstrom will be good but not good enough yet in a tough division and they cant quite pull out the playoff spot.

10. St Louis - they have improved, but not quite enough to get them into the playoffs. Karyia still has a good season and pots 30+ goals.

11. LA Kings - This young team keeps getting better and better, but the goaltending doesn't allow them to be in the playoffs.

12. Nashville - With the lose of all the players in the off season they fall far down the standings and cant really seem to put it together.

13. Edmonton - Very very young team and in the future will be great, but right now the cant compete with the others. They will be top 4 by christmas like every year but tail off at the end.

14. Pheonix - Still cant really escape the bottom of the conference, will continue to have a losing season.

15. Columbus - Although their last its a close conference throughout but in a tough division they can pull together enough wins.

This is my predictions, not perfect but yeah...comment, post your own thoughts and predictions!
I'm convinced that unless Vancouver gets 2 competent top-six players, they will not win the Northwest this season. As the roster looks today, I believe that 2 of Colorado, Calgary and Minnesota will finish higher in the standings. While his numbers hopefully increase, I doubt Naslund will "bounce back" without elite linemates. I also doubt Luongo will play 75+ games.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
MOENing

1.Colorado Avalanche
Colorado exceeds in their division by Default. Sakic and Smyth are the gems in Bettman's eyes. Goaltending is a bit iffy but when your team can score 6 goals a night who needs a good goaltender. Maybe Calgary.

2.Anaheim Ducks
The Ducks have solid replacement even if the Big Ones retire. The ducks still have their "mighty Kid Line" and their "Shut Down the Ash Line" Line. The reuniting of Bert, May and Burke. ahhhhhhh

3.St. Louis Blues
They show Detroit that they still can compete with them. The Blues have very average lines but this actually helps them out because you can't shutdown the Whole team.

4. San Jose Sharks
The Sharks are the team I dread. But now they don't have two number one goaltenders. I love that they are so amazing everywhere you look they could easily be better than the Ducks.

5.Calgary Flames
Kipper will take over that team. Owen Nolan will excel with his new team and lead them into battle.

6.Los Angeles Kings
The Kings have a contending team. They have very great young talent. Anze Kopitar is the player I want but can't have. He could have done so much better if he had Kyle Calder next to him.

7.Vancouver Canucks
Luongo.

Hopefully they get more help.

8.Dallas Stars
Turco and Madano Thats all you need to know.

Blackhawks
Red Wings

Wild
Predators
Oilers
Coyotes
Blue Jackets

Last edited by MOENing: 07-04-2007 at 12:06 AM.
MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:32 PM
canuck8mitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternity Is Now View Post
we've got one for the east, so i figured lets look at the west.

1. Anaheim - even with the potential lose of niedermayer and selanne, they have still put together a great team and will finish tops in the west - 115+pts

2. Vancouver - watch for luongo to steal the season for the canucks and naslund will bounce back to have a career year. 110+pts

3. Detroit - wont win the conference this year cause the division has improved and will have a harder time facing teams like chicago and st louis 8 times a year. 105+pts

4. San Jose - will fall just short of beating Anaheim for the divison but will still have the 2nd best record in the west. 110+pts

5. Colorado - with additions of Smyth and Hannan Colorado will be a lot better this next year, could finsih higher but their goaltending is a little suspect. 105+pts

6.Calgary - Iginla and Kipper will again take the flames to the playoffs, will do better then last year but not a whole lot. still in one of the toughest divisions in the league. 100+pts

7. Dallas - Still have a good team, Turco is still one of the top goalies and with Modano back for a full season they will be in the playoffs - 100+pts

8. Chicago - This is my wildcard pick, i think havlat will say healthy and lead this team and they will surprise to squeeze into the playoffs. 95+pts

9. Minnisota- Backstrom will be good but not good enough yet in a tough division and they cant quite pull out the playoff spot.

10. St Louis - they have improved, but not quite enough to get them into the playoffs. Karyia still has a good season and pots 30+ goals.

11. LA Kings - This young team keeps getting better and better, but the goaltending doesn't allow them to be in the playoffs.

12. Nashville - With the lose of all the players in the off season they fall far down the standings and cant really seem to put it together.

13. Edmonton - Very very young team and in the future will be great, but right now the cant compete with the others. They will be top 4 by christmas like every year but tail off at the end.

14. Pheonix - Still cant really escape the bottom of the conference, will continue to have a losing season.

15. Columbus - Although their last its a close conference throughout but in a tough division they can pull together enough wins.

This is my predictions, not perfect but yeah...comment, post your own thoughts and predictions!
very nice

canuck8mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Wes McSnipes*

It's still a little too early but I'll give it a shot...

1.) Anaheim
2.) Detroit
3.) Colorado
4.) San Jose
5.) Calgary
6.) Vancouver
7.) St. Louis
8.) Minnesota
----
9.) Nashville
10.) Dallas
11.) Los Angeles
12.) Chicago
13.) Columbus
14.) Edmonton
15.) Phoenix

Wes McSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
I must laugh at the people picking the Stars to miss the playoffs. Despite missing Modano(23 games) and Morrow(42 games) for a significant amount of time, they still managed to finish tied with San Jose with the 3rd most points in the west.

Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:38 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
1.Anaheim Ducks

2.Colorado Avalanche

3.St. Louis Blues

4.Los Angeles Kings

5. San Jose Sharks

6.Calgary Flames

7.Vancouver Canucks

8.Chicago Blackhawks
St. Louis and Los Angeles on home ice?

I like how you've bolded each line individually (readers - quote the post in a new message to see what I'm talking about).

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Mikeymikeymikey

Send a message via AIM to Mikeymikeymikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
1.Anaheim Ducks

2.Colorado Avalanche

3.St. Louis Blues

4.Los Angeles Kings

5. San Jose Sharks

6.Calgary Flames

7.Vancouver Canucks

8.Chicago Blackhawks

The Blues, Hawks, and Kings make the playoffs but no Detroit?

Mikeymikeymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Coffee and 7's*

Detroit will be first in the west. And I believe Anaheim will flop and barely make the playoffs. Bertuzzi and Schneider instead of Niedermayer and Selanne has a lot of potential to be really bad.

Coffee and 7's* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
sticknrink

Detroit
Vancouver
Anaheim (assuming Nieds & Selanne retire)
Minnesota
Dallas
San Jose/Calgary
Calgary/San Jose
St.Louis

I'm not convinced about Colorado _at all_. Hannan/Leopold/Liles is a decent defense unit but they're dwarfed by most teams on that list and let's not even get into goaltending. Theodore just might be the second worst goalie in the West.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote