HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Next year's standings in the West

Old
07-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Guy Legend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
St. Louis and Los Angeles on home ice?
I happen to like his prediction. Leave him alone....

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Coffee and 7's*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
St. Louis and Los Angeles on home ice?

I like how you've bolded each line individually (readers - quote the post in a new message to see what I'm talking about).
Yeah, that combined with his picks for the playoffs is just confirming that he isn't Einstein.

Coffee and 7's* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Golden Foppa

Detroit is going to have a ton of points again. They get 8 games each against Columbus, Chicago, and Nashville.

1. Detroit
2. Anaheim
3. Colorado
4. Vancouver
5. San Jose
6. Calgary
7. St. Louis
8. Minnesota

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:58 PM
MOENing

it's because i wrote something for each but i decided just to post each one

o also just because i picked not your team you call me stupid
8th place could also be dallas for pretty much the canucks are their and that is goaltending

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:27 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
1.Anaheim Ducks

2.Colorado Avalanche

3.St. Louis Blues

4.Los Angeles Kings

5. San Jose Sharks

6.Calgary Flames

7.Vancouver Canucks

8.Chicago Blackhawks
this from the guy who always comes into the wings forums and makes stupid posts. can't say im shocked the wings are nowhere to be found on this list.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:31 PM
bullocks

1. Detroit
2. San Jose
3. Calgary
4. Anaheim
5. Colorado
6. Vancouver
7. LA Kings
8. St. Louis

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:37 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Here's my early take on the West:

1. Anaheim
2. Detroit
3. Colorado
4. San Jose
5. Vancouver
6. Calgary
7. Nashville
8. Dallas
9. Minnesota
10. St. Louis
11. Los Angeles
12. Chicago
13. Edmonton
14. Columbus
15. Phoenix

That wasn't easy. The West just seems more difficult to predict. But let's wait until all the dust settles at the end of the summer and revisit this.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
I must laugh at the people picking the Stars to miss the playoffs. Despite missing Modano(23 games) and Morrow(42 games) for a significant amount of time, they still managed to finish tied with San Jose with the 3rd most points in the west.
is that something new ?
the last 2 years the most people said Dallas will be on the bottom of the standings, so who cares ?
Yes we didn't make much in the playoffs, but the playoffs were a sure thing and also will be in 07-08

and as you said...we even made it pretty easy this season - with 298 man games lost to injuries

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
this from the guy who always comes into the wings forums and makes stupid posts. can't say im shocked the wings are nowhere to be found on this list.
well all I'm saying is that I think many teams have gotta better in your division. Nashville may surprise all of us. But just because I leave your team out doesn't mean anything to you. You could post and leave my team off but I would ask you why you think that way.

On that thought , Detroit won't make the playoffs because their loss of Many players that I thought made your team impressive. I'm not a chelios Basher I think he makes your team a great team for the league to advertise. the Penner comment was because I want Penner to play for the Ducks again.

Old
07-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Alistar

this thread reminds me alot of last year when everyone was either picking dallas to finish 4th-5th or 10th-11th and people were throwing out names like Columbus and Los Angeles to make the playoffs. I think theres a definete treand of teams that make signings being ranked rather high, though I do admit I did not believe Minnesota would make the playoffs last year and they did. now onto the standings:

1. Detroit - If anyone thinks St. Louis, Chicago, or Columbus are going to individually win more then 2 games out of 8 against Detroit they're crazy, and it looks like Nashville might be going downhill a bit in talent so I only see more of the same in the central. The fact is Detroit will still be percieved as being too old, and people will point to free agent departures as evidence of their fall, but they will convincingly take the conference again - no doubt in my mind.

2. Anaheim - out of respect to the cup holders more then anything else, for if Teemu and Scott retire, I think this spot will be San Jose's to take. I really wish SJ and Anaheim played eachother last year in the playoffs, it woulda been great..

3. Vancouver - going with the safe pick here just because Im not convinced Colorado can even make the playoffs much less win the Division. Im sure its nice to have a huge free agent signing but their little streak at the end of last year served to hide alot of the problems this team has I think. Take it from me, I live with two diehard Colorado fans and there was no end to their complaining during the first 5 monthes of the regular season about their team. the only 4 times I remember watching Colorado was when Dallas played them and they looked pretty bad all 4 times...

4. San Jose - Probably the best team in the west on talent alone (I think so anyway) but they are way too inconsistant from what Ive seen. I havent watched this team much but when I do its one team one week, one team the next.

5. Dallas - yeah their my team, and its going to take alot to convince me a team that has averaged 107 points over the last 4 year (3rd best behind Detroit and Ottawa) - and yeah its the exact same team. I think alot of people put down Dallas every year because they dont make any large free agent signings so its difficult to know where they are before the season. Well you are all in for a surprise if you expect anything different out of them. If they didnt have 300+ man games lost to injury last year they woulda been well in the conference hunt.

6. Calgary - I really really dont like this team at all, and I think they're perenially over-rated by their fans and hockey writers to the point where it sickens me, but I do think Iron Mike should be able to get them to win *atleast* 10+ games on the road this year, and for that I'll give them a pass over Minnesota and Colorado

7. Nashville - This team is going to be beaten up by Detroit and a few of those easy points against Chicago and St. Louis wont be available any more. for the record I could see them finishing 4th easily depending on how their remaining players perform - though I couldnt care less for the organization and its classless owner =/

8. Minnesota / Colorado - probably Minnesota. as well as Colorado played down the stretch, Minnesota was awesome in the last few monthes so I see no reason for optimism for Colorado there. another dissapointing year for Avs fans who will no doubt reflect on how exponentially easier it would be to make the playoffs if they were in the eastern conference ;D

9. Minnesota / Colorado
10. St. Louis
11. Los Angeles
12. Edmonton
13. Chicago
14. Columbus
15. Phoenix

EDIT - wow.... Walzy just took everything I said and repeated it a couple minutes earlier.. Id like to point out I made these observations about Dallas prior and am not copying ;D stupid 6 through 15 just slowed me down is all ;/

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Shakeywalton

I'm curious how everyone is giving the Nucks a free pass to the Division title??

They won the Division by a single point over MN. They've done nothing to improve their team, and they won't be able to until they rid themselves of a few contracts(Naslund, ect.). From my recollections.... they won more one-goal games last year than any team in the NHL.

IMO, they're the most likely to fall out of the top 8. I just look at that roster and outside of Luongo...... Blah...... Sure goaltending is important...... but take a look. They were lucky last year.

Shakeywalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
1. Anaheim
Ducks have great blend of young talent and veteran starpower.

2. Vancouver
Luongo will have another MVP type year and they will score just enough to win division.

3. Detroit
Detroit will take the crown after easy wins vs Preds and Blue Jackets. Will struggle against upstart Hawks and Blues teams though.

4. San Jose
Will be a beast in West this year finishing 2nd overall in pts but due to Ducks will fall to 4th.

5. Dallas
Veteran team plays good team defense and has All-star year from Turco. But guys like Modano begin to show there age

6. Colorado
Avs establish themselves as a playoff team due to strong goaltending from Budaj and great opportunistic offense.

7. St Louis
Team gets solid goaltending and offense to propel themselves into playoffs

8. Chicago
Hawks suprise everyone with a solid all around team with solid play from rookies such as Toews and Skille. Young D matures and Khabby gets back to 04 form. Havlat nets 48 goals.

9. Minnesota
Injuries to forward expose lack offensive depth leaving team struggling to score. Miss playoffs by a few points.

10. Calgary
Team jumps out the gate early and looks like contenders. But injury's and Keenan soon lead team to total collapse (Example:2006 Habs).

11. Los Angeles
Young talent matures and team makes strides. But horrible goaltending lead to no hope of a playoff spot

12. Nashville
Mason plays well as #1 but offense is lacking and team chemistry goes down tubes due to uncertain future (Example:1993 North Stars)

13. Edmonton
Oilers struggle at every aspect of game. Offense will be very streaky, Defense will be almost nonexistent for large parts of year and Roloson and Garon struggle to salvage season when facing 45 shots a night.

14. Columbus
Team is horrible. Rick Nash is only bright spot of a dark year.

15. Phoenix
Team has no shot from start. Are hammered by 3 top tier teams in there own division and lose ground to a better Kings team.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:36 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

1. Detroit
2. San Jose
3. Colorado
4. Anaheim
5. Dallas
6. Vancouver
7. Minnesota
8. Calgary

9. St. Louis
10. Nashville
11. Chicago
12. Los Angeles
13. Edmonton
14. Columbus
15. Phoenix

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:46 PM
State of Hockey

Quick make-up - almost identical top-8:

1. Detroit - weak division means top seed
2. San Jose - on the premise of a Duck (or two) retiring
3. Minnesota - better than Canucks on paper
4. Anaheim - can't see them beating SJ if guys retire
5. Vancouver - should be neck and neck for division
6. Dallas - better than most give them credit for when healthy
7. Colorado - defense and goaltending need to improve to win the NW
8. Calgary - too much of the same and not my choice for a coach
9. Nashville - should still be a playoff contender
10. St. Louis - might be the surprise of the year
11. Los Angeles - on the upswing but will need another year to gel
12. Chicago - not in love with the signings but should be better
13. Edmonton - rebuild time
14. Columbus - does this team has a plan?
15. Phoenix - the 2007-8 Philly

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS30

1. Detroit-not getting any younger but they play in the freaking Central division
2. San Jose-won't make it far in the playoffs
3. Vancouver-close race w/ Calgary/Colorado for division crown
4. Anaheim-makes it to the finals again if 1 of Niedermayer/Selanne come back
5. Calgary-?
6. Colorado-finish once again w/ the most goals in W.C., but defense isn't entirely there this season again to make a playoff run
7. Dallas-another 1st round exit?
8. St. Louis/Minnesota-separated by 1 point at the end of the year, I give the nod to St. Louis due to significant improvement and easier division
---------------
Sure, some teams I didn't mention improved, but they still don't compare to the top 8 in the conference. Some of these teams also did nothing to help their already slim chances.

AVS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Realm

1. Detroit
2. Minnesota
3. Anaheim
4. Calgary
5. San Jose
6. Nashville
7. Colorado
8. Vancouver
9. Dallas
10. St. Louis
11. Los Angeles
12. Chicago
13. Columbus
14. Edmonton
15. Phoenix

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:17 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
*1. Red Wings - No 07 Nashville to fear, but division is not easy.
*2. Sharks - Thornton and Comp. have a very good year.
*3. Minnesota - Gaborik is healthy. Enough said.
04. Stars - Turco has a career year.
05. Ducks - Losing Neidermeyer hurts, but not that much.
06. Canucks - Luongo has another great year with the Sedins playing career years.
07. Blues - The surprise that's not very surprising.
08. Avalanche - Budaj struggles but Sakic leads team to the Playoffs.
09. Flames - Just barely missing the Playoffs.
10. Predators - Mason is good, but just can't do a whole season.
11. Black Hawks - Promising team that'll be hunting for contention in 08-09.
12. Kings - Goaltending is the only thing stopping this team.
13. Oilers - Not gonna happen overnight.
14. Blue Jackets - Won't do well against improved division.
15. Coyotes - Poor guys.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:28 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

San Jose's defense, as it stands right now, is no where near good enough to get the team into the top 6.

Rivet-Vlasic
McLaren-Carle
Ehrhoff-Murray

That defense has more leaks in it than the Titanic.

The Sharks need one more good defenseman to really compete for a top playoff spot.

Old
07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
canuck8

1) Detroit - Chicago and st. louis are much improved but with nashville faltering detroit should be able to cruise through the division enough to still take the top spot in the conference
2) Anaheim - Even if selanne and nieds retire they are still my pick for the cup next year, but like last year will have to battle through 16 very tough games against san jose and dallas
3) Vancouver - Obviously a little biased, haven't fixed our offensive problems, but IMO luongo is only going to get better and between him and our top 4 on d i think they can squeeze out another division crown. That being said this division is still so close that whoever wins it will come in 3rd again.
4) San Jose - Probably the second best team in the west will battle anaheim for the division all the way through, really hope we can see that battle in the playoffs.
5)/6) Dallas/Minnesota - In my opinion the two most underrated teams in the league, and not just this year. Yes, neither team have really added anyone, but they both haven't really lost anyone major either, and both had to deal with major injuries last year. If they can stay healthy this year they both will be in the fight for their respective divisions throughout the season.
7) Colorado - Really like their new aquisitions and with the way they closed out last year I definetly think they will be in the playoffs this upcoming season. Should be in a very tight race with van/minn throughout the season I think their goaltending will keep them just short of taking the division though.
8) Chicago - My dark horse, I think this is the year they stay healthy and pull it together to squeeze into the playoffs.
9) Nashville - Still have a whole lot of talent but I just think it's going to be a very trying year for them capped off by just missing the playoffs.
10) St. Louis - Much improved, could also be my chicago and sneak into the playoffs this season, are a very good young team that I think is just one more season away from being a team to really fear.
11) Calgary - Again probably a little biased but to me they ended last year on a pretty bad note, they to me haven't improved at all and as a canuck fan i love the signing of keenan because to me I just don't see it working out.
12) Los Angeles - Also much improved, if they get their goalie they can definetly make a push for the playoffs, until then with these rediculously early prediction I have to leave them out.
13) Edmonton -Still rebuilding but unlike last year at the trade deadline I think they will fight valliantly and make things close. Not quite there yet but in another year or two if managed well they can become dangerous.
14) Columbus - Nash needs some help or it will be another tough year.
15) Phoenix - Sorry but I just don't see much good coming out of this team this year.

canuck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
west in the east

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeywalton View Post
I'm curious how everyone is giving the Nucks a free pass to the Division title??

They won the Division by a single point over MN. They've done nothing to improve their team, and they won't be able to until they rid themselves of a few contracts(Naslund, ect.). From my recollections.... they won more one-goal games last year than any team in the NHL.

IMO, they're the most likely to fall out of the top 8. I just look at that roster and outside of Luongo...... Blah...... Sure goaltending is important...... but take a look. They were lucky last year.
I think it will be a dog fight to the NW title this season, but to say the nucks are most likely to fall out of the top 8 shows you dont know much about them. Last season they were .500 at xmas. Repeating the points total of last season is not completely unrealistic.

They also have more than just Luongo. Their D is one of the better groups in the league. Say its because of the system... sure, but it still gets the job done. Their depth in the bottom 6 is better than last season and there is the rest of the summer for them to pursue a top 6er. In the event they dont get that I dont see them doing much less than fighting for the NW again anyway.... but at this point it seems that there will be 4 teams doing that.

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:55 PM
TPS 61*

Send a message via AIM to TPS 61*
no lovin for the jackets? thats ok. we are finishing 13th anyways.

TPS 61* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:21 PM
BlueBleeder

As I see it so far.....

1st - Detroit -- Still preying on a weak division, with no contenders in sight.

2nd - San Jose -- Young team, should get better.

3rd - Vancouver -- Loungo.

4th - Calgary -- Could be higher or lower. How will the team respond to Keenan?

5th - Anahiem -- Selanne and Neidermayer would be huge losses.

6th - Nashville -- Some big losses, but still a young team with alot of talent.

7th - Dallas -- Due for another early exit.

8th - Minnesota -- A healthy Gaborik and Demitra get them in, otherwise they fall short.
-------------------
9th - Colorado -- Will just miss again, tough division keeps them out.

10th - St Louis -- Improved, but so is everyone else.

11th - Chicago -- Vastly improved team, still young though.

12th - Los Angeles -- Lots of offensive, no goaltending. Could make the POs though.

13th - Edmonton -- Whipping boys of the NW.

14th - Columbus -- Division got much better, they haven't.

15th - Pheonix -- Shooting for 1st overall.... in the draft.

BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
MOENing

I hope that one day the Blue Jackets can overscome everyones doubts.

Old
07-03-2007, 11:06 PM
luckoftheduck

IMO the Ducks are still stronger than the Sharks even without Selanne and Niedermayer....Sharks are probably going to lose Guerin...lost hannan...their defense is a wreck...could miss out on Souray...

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:08 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
I laugh at people saying the Sharks will be better. Im sorry and no disrespect to the Sharks but even if both Nieds and Selanne retire Anaheim is still a better team. Pronger, Beauchemin, and Schneider is still a very dangerous top-3. And there young guys who will mature more and Bertuzzi will make up for Selanne's offence. They still have a BIG 3, they still are tough, they still have the Pahlsson line, they still have the kids, and they still have the always clutch JS Giguere. I also feel if he stays healthy Bert will have a solid year because he will likely play with Getzlaf and Perry.

Sharks lost quite possibly their best defenseman and already had a weak defense. They also lost the stability in a solid backup and if Nabokov get's hurt or struggles, look out!!!

However, I do feel Detroit will finish slightly above Anaheim in the season because Rafalski is an upgrade over Schneider and Lang and Bert weren't major parts anyway.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote