HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Next year's standings in the West

Old
07-04-2007, 12:16 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 500
I noticed that a lot of people are putting the Avalanche much lower than they should. It's not a huge problem, since it really doesn't matter what you think. But I probably should give you some reasons why they will be close to the top of the conference.

Their offense is second to none in the west. They have the best top 2 lines in the league, and a third line that could be most teams second line. They have a good blend of old veteran leadership and youthful skill. Sakic seems to be defying all odds and actually improved last year. I see no indication of him slowing down (although another 100 point season is not likely). Stastny was by far the most consistent rookie last year. The way he plays leads me to suspect that a sophomore slump will not happen to him. Hejduk had problems at the beginning of the season, but really turned it up at the end. Brunette is a player no one thought was capable of an 80 point season. Wolski had some consistency issues, but still has plenty of skills. Svatos had a bad year, but I think he will rebound. All in all, there is no problems on offense. I didn't even mention Smyth, who will balance the lines out perfectly.

On defense, they had a lot of problems last year. But a lot of that can be attributed to injuries and overworked players. They did not have a number one defenseman, or even a number two. The defense was pretty much carried bu Bret Clark most of the time, with Liles picking up the slack. After that, it dropped off very quick. Now, with Hannan, they will have a guy who is capable of playing 20 minutes or more. In addition, they will finally have a healthy Leopold. He will be a valuable addition to the line up. The defense is much more improved than most people think.

Goal tending will be interesting. People underestimate how well Budaj played last year, especially in the last half of the season, when he became the starter. I think the early season goal tending debacle was the main culprit for our lack of success. As soon as budaj finally got the starting job, things worked themselves out, and we started winning. As long as the Avalanche go into the season with Budaj as the clear starter, it will be much improved.

And lets face it, last year, they only missed the playoffs by one single point. In the current NHL, that's only one shootout goal away. They are a much improved team from last year. I don't see any reason why they will not at the very least push themselves up to th5 5th or 6th seed. They will also definitly be a contender for the division.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:35 AM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Their offense is second to none in the west. They have the best top 2 lines in the league, and a third line that could be most teams second line. They have a good blend of old veteran leadership and youthful skill. Sakic seems to be defying all odds and actually improved last year. I see no indication of him slowing down (although another 100 point season is not likely). Stastny was by far the most consistent rookie last year. The way he plays leads me to suspect that a sophomore slump will not happen to him. Hejduk had problems at the beginning of the season, but really turned it up at the end. Brunette is a player no one thought was capable of an 80 point season. Wolski had some consistency issues, but still has plenty of skills. Svatos had a bad year, but I think he will rebound. All in all, there is no problems on offense. I didn't even mention Smyth, who will balance the lines out perfectly.
It's sounds like a good offense but the Central Division is a very defensive division so in other words. Defense is offense. BTW nice signing with Smyth really sticking it to the Oilers.

Quote:
On defense, they had a lot of problems last year. But a lot of that can be attributed to injuries and overworked players. They did not have a number one defenseman, or even a number two. The defense was pretty much carried bu Bret Clark most of the time, with Liles picking up the slack. After that, it dropped off very quick. Now, with Hannan, they will have a guy who is capable of playing 20 minutes or more. In addition, they will finally have a healthy Leopold. He will be a valuable addition to the line up. The defense is much more improved than most people think.
Ok so you got Hannan is he going to be one of the top defensive pairing? Hopefully you don't over work him. Another good signing.

Quote:
Goal tending will be interesting. People underestimate how well Budaj played last year, especially in the last half of the season, when he became the starter. I think the early season goal tending debacle was the main culprit for our lack of success. As soon as budaj finally got the starting job, things worked themselves out, and we started winning. As long as the Avalanche go into the season with Budaj as the clear starter, it will be much improved.
I'm unsure about your goal tender who else you got.

Quote:
And lets face it, last year, they only missed the playoffs by one single point. In the current NHL, that's only one shootout goal away. They are a much improved team from last year. I don't see any reason why they will not at the very least push themselves up to th5 5th or 6th seed. They will also definitly be a contender for the division.
I say we wait till the next season.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Blades of Steel 1972

Send a message via Yahoo to Blades of Steel 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
1.Anaheim Ducks

2.Colorado Avalanche

3.St. Louis Blues

4.Los Angeles Kings

5. San Jose Sharks

6.Calgary Flames

7.Vancouver Canucks

8.Chicago Blackhawks
This is the worst list I think ive ever seen...

Blades of Steel 1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Alistar

Quote:
yeah it was impressive but I would like to ask you how much you really think Smyth and Hannan are going to improve your team overall... I mean I guess if you look at what happened to Edmonton after Smyth left he is the best player in the league ;D but I am still seeing Calgary / Minnesota / Vancouver as being about the same as last year, so I guess what Im saying is do you think that those two take Colorado up to those teams level (when they wern't for 70% of last year) and then past them? cause I can understand how people would give the edge to goaltending and team defense over Colorado, who's so called undisputed best offense didnt get them into the playoffs last year.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:00 AM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
yeah it was impressive but I would like to ask you how much you really think Smyth and Hannan are going to improve your team overall... I mean I guess if you look at what happened to Edmonton after Smyth left he is the best player in the league ;D but I am still seeing Calgary / Minnesota / Vancouver as being about the same as last year, so I guess what Im saying is do you think that those two take Colorado up to those teams level (when they wern't for 70% of last year) and then past them? cause I can understand how people would give the edge to goaltending and team defense over Colorado, who's so called undisputed best offense didnt get them into the playoffs last year.
In a word, yes. The holes we needed to fill were a top left winger, check. A top shut down defenseman, check. Goal tending, given time it could be a check (we'll see). Consistency, maybe. But the holes in the lineup that we had and could easily change are now filled. I honestly don't see how you can't believe that a team with arguably the best offense in the league, an improved defense that might actually function, and a goaltender who will probably improve from last year, will not reach the playoffs, especially since they were only one point out last year.

Old
07-04-2007, 01:02 AM
WILDTATE10

i dont see how Smyth and Hannan improve colorado enough to win the division. They will probly make the playoffs but as a 6-8 seed IMO

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:07 AM
hockeyfish

What ever, I'm tired of arguing my case. No one listens to what I say, so I'll let the team speak for it's self in October.

Old
07-04-2007, 01:08 AM
MOENing

Quote:
1.Colorado Avalanche
Colorado exceeds in their division by Default. Sakic and Smyth are the gems in Bettman's eyes. Goaltending is a bit iffy but when your team can score 6 goals a night who needs a good goaltender. Maybe Calgary.

2.Anaheim Ducks
The Ducks have solid replacement even if the Big Ones retire. The ducks still have their "mighty Kid Line" and their "Shut Down the Ash Line" Line. The reuniting of Bert, May and Burke. ahhhhhhh

3.St. Louis Blues
They show Detroit that they still can compete with them. The Blues have very average lines but this actually helps them out because you can't shutdown the Whole team.

4. San Jose Sharks
The Sharks are the team I dread. But now they don't have two number one goaltenders. I love that they are so amazing everywhere you look they could easily be better than the Ducks.

5.Calgary Flames
Kipper will take over that team. Owen Nolan will excel with his new team and lead them into battle.

6.Los Angeles Kings
The Kings have a contending team. They have very great young talent. Anze Kopitar is the player I want but can't have. He could have done so much better if he had Kyle Calder next to him.

7.Vancouver Canucks
Luongo.

Hopefully they get more help.

8.Dallas Stars
Turco and Madano Thats all you need to know.

Blackhawks
Red Wings

Wild
Predators
Oilers
Coyotes
Blue Jackets

decided on a new order Calgary could go higher and Anaheim and LA could go lower the Pacific divison is Going to Be alot harder

Old
07-04-2007, 01:11 AM
MOENing

Quote:
What ever, I'm tired of arguing my case. No one listens to what I say, so I'll let the team speak for it's self in October.
I can see it happening just like in my post it's just when your idea doesn't match everyone else your automatically wrong

Old
07-04-2007, 01:17 AM
hockeyfish

Quote:
I can see it happening just like in my post it's just when your idea doesn't match everyone else your automatically wrong
That is sort of true. I guess I'm guilty of it too. It's hard to really have a good argument on these boards sometimes.

Old
07-04-2007, 01:25 AM
MOENing

yea People always try to discredit I rather hear what people think about their team I already know about my team.

Old
07-04-2007, 03:41 AM
bullocks

Quote:
well all I'm saying is that I think many teams have gotta better in your division. Nashville may surprise all of us. But just because I leave your team out doesn't mean anything to you. You could post and leave my team off but I would ask you why you think that way.

On that thought , Detroit won't make the playoffs because their loss of Many players that I thought made your team impressive. I'm not a chelios Basher I think he makes your team a great team for the league to advertise. the Penner comment was because I want Penner to play for the Ducks again.
Lang, Calder, and Bertuzzi?? Christ, have u watched Lang play? Calder was a healthy scratch for half of the playoffs. Bertuzzi never gained his form - will also be replaced with another top 6 forward.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
Not really much of a difference anymore. The only real threat to Anaheim in the Pacific Division is San Jose, and Anaheim is a better team. Detroit may not have one consistent real threat like in the past with Nashville, but St. Louis, Chicago, and Nashville will all challenge for the playoffs. I don't see the Kings or Coyotes in the playoffs, the Kings moreso because they don't have a goalie, and the Coyotes are rebuilding.

Here's what I see:
1. Anaheim Ducks
They have lost no one significant from their Championship roster, of course, that is considering Niedermayer coming back. He hasn't announced his retirement, so we continue with him as part of the team.

2. Calgary Flames
Last season it was a ton of talent, not enough desire. That should change with Mike Keenan behind the bench. It was between them and Colorado, and I like the Flames because of their goaltending.

3. Detroit Red Wings
The division won't be a cakewalk with one challenger like the past few years. Several teams will contend for the playoffs, but the Wings are still the best team. Goaltending (Hasek or not?) is an issue.

4. San Jose Sharks
The youngest team in the NHL got statistically younger, but more experienced. They still are in contention for a UFA winger and defenseman. Expect 75+ points from Thornton, Cheechoo, Marleau, and Michalek, and a healthy Steve Bernier is a huge lift. Ryane Clowe over a full season should project to 20+ goals. The youth on defense could be a problem.

5. Colorado Avalanche
This team is ready to return to the playoffs. Their top 6 is as good as any other in the league, and the addition of Scott Hannan shores up their defense. Peter Budaj played very well down the stretch, but we'll see how he does in a full season.

6. Minnesota Wild
Same team as the year before, just more consistent goaltending.

7. Vancouver Canucks
Luongo.

8. Nashville Predators
How in the world can people be predicting this team to be in the cellar? They still have a load of talent up front, and their defense is in the top 5-7 in the league, especially their top 3 of Suter, Weber, and Hamhuis.

I think Chicago, St. Louis, and LA will challenge for the playoffs.
If Anaheim loses Niedermayer and Selanne, it will be hard to overcome that. Bertuzzi will be the X factor, if he performs we're ok, if he doesn't we're in trouble.

Last edited by Randall Graves*: 07-04-2007 at 04:35 AM.
Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I am keeping the Kings out on purpose. Doing from 1-10.

1. Anaheim. When someone shows me they have what it takes, the Ducks can move down. Until then, no.

2. Detroit. That division is going to be a dogfight. The other two of the old guard caught up a little. Depth issues at forward, shouldn't be a big deal. None of these teams are perfect.

3. Colorado. They improved a lot. They were a defenseman away from the playoffs last year. They got that, and then some. I love their moves.

4. San Jose. Where is their desire. I'm still looking for it. I have a hard time even putting them 4th, to be honest, but I know better. I know that they will do the job in the regular season. Postseason on the other hand, is a different story.

5. Vancouver. Better postseason team than the Sharks, this team is built for playoff hockey. They aren't world beaters in the regular season, but in the playoffs, they are really dangerous. My paper favorite to go to the Finals. Not that it means much, it doesn't. It's a meaningless prediction.

6. Calgary. I'd be surprised to see them even make the playoffs, but if they gel with Keenan, this is where they will fit. This team is too top heavy for my liking.

7. This is where it got really hard to not put the Kings in as at least a contender for this spot, because I think they are better than all of these other teams if they get something resembling decent goaltending. Beach Ball is going to stay on the sand this time around. But, I digress.

St. Louis Blues. I didn't like either of the contracts they gave out. But they have the talent in the interim and are able to slide themselves in this spot. Good coaching with the right player base for that coach's style.

8. Minnesota. Nashville lost so much depth, I can't see them getting in this spot if one of their guys blows over with a pulled hammy. They don't have the reinforcements, nor the depth. Minnesota does. I question their goaltending, but I do not question their system. It works. They could make Beach Ball look like he belonged in the AHL.

9. Nashville. Yeah, right here. If they stay healthy. Not far off the pace to be sure, but the rumors of movement are going to get to the players, fans and the coaches. They may say that it doesn't bother them, but it does. That's a full team having to leave their houses, friends, and connections behind and move to a foreign place. Even the thought is tough.

10. Dallas. I said on the Kings board earlier in the week that they were a dead lock to make the playoffs. I changed my mind. First, where are they going to get scoring from. Second, are they going to add some youth to the puzzle. Third, could they be any slower on the backend? Big fan of Turco, think he's a great goalie. But at some point, the luck runs out. You can only be an old team for so long before everything falls apart, when you don't add reinforcements. They've been asking the same guys to carry the team for how long?

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
10. Dallas. I said on the Kings board earlier in the week that they were a dead lock to make the playoffs. I changed my mind. First, where are they going to get scoring from. Second, are they going to add some youth to the puzzle. Third, could they be any slower on the backend? Big fan of Turco, think he's a great goalie. But at some point, the luck runs out. You can only be an old team for so long before everything falls apart, when you don't add reinforcements. They've been asking the same guys to carry the team for how long?
The managed to get enough scoring last season to finish with the same amount of points as San Jose, despite key guys missing significant time with injury. I know this is HF where youth rules, and the Stars will have a couple of young guys contributing next year. And they managed to do just fine with th the d-men they had last year, no reason to expect any different.

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:25 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Top 8 teams in the West next season:

1.Anaheim
2.Detroit
3.Vancouver
4.San Jose
5.Colorado
6.Los Angeles
7.Dallas
8.Calgary

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:32 AM
teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I laugh at people saying the Sharks will be better. Im sorry and no disrespect to the Sharks but even if both Nieds and Selanne retire Anaheim is still a better team. Pronger, Beauchemin, and Schneider is still a very dangerous top-3. And there young guys who will mature more and Bertuzzi will make up for Selanne's offence. They still have a BIG 3, they still are tough, they still have the Pahlsson line, they still have the kids, and they still have the always clutch JS Giguere. I also feel if he stays healthy Bert will have a solid year because he will likely play with Getzlaf and Perry.

Sharks lost quite possibly their best defenseman and already had a weak defense. They also lost the stability in a solid backup and if Nabokov get's hurt or struggles, look out!!!

However, I do feel Detroit will finish slightly above Anaheim in the season because Rafalski is an upgrade over Schneider and Lang and Bert weren't major parts anyway.
word. the defense isn't good enough. i also don't see why people place the sharks so highly when they only made 5th last year with a better roster (excluding bell)

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
luckoftheduck

For the colorado fan....you said your 3rd line is like a 2nd line....well that's great and all but the bottom 6 are supposed to be very different from the top 6. It didn't work for Buffalo and it won't work for Colorado. Their 4th line is very much like a regular 4th line however and that's why i think they'll finish 4-7.

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:53 AM
dwarf

I will take a shot at this too.

Detroit, Easy division wins will propel them to a president's trophy
San Jose, Thornton, Marleau, and a revamped blueline, will be enough.
Colorado, Suspect goaltending, but Theodore will wake up, young guns will get better
Anaheim, Team is too good to slip further than this.
Nashville, yes gutted team, but still enough easy wins in division to take 5th spot
Dallas, Turco will dominate this year.
Calgary, Tough division, so not a lot of points, but good for second in NW.
Minnesota, Lemaire is the evil genius.
---------------
Vancouver, Luongo will keep the canucks going, but weak forwards and pitiful offense
L.A., Amazing team, but Crawford's Clootywooty love will be their demise.
Chicago, Savard will have the hawks in the playoffs until Jan, until injuries take toll.
St. Louis, Revamped team and Murray could propel them upwards.
Edmonton, Rebuilding team, but solid backup with Garon, could push them higher.
Columbus, Nash will be enough to beat out the tanking Coyotes
Phoenix, Going for Tavares.

dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
1) yes, Dallas hasn't scored that many goals last season (2.65 per game, #21 in the league) but a)Modano missed 23 games, b) Morrow missed 42 games, c) Lindros missed 33 games and was a n offensvie non-factor in most games he played, d) guys like Eriksson & Lundqvist should be bit better next season
2) yes, we've some very old players, but 10 or 11 guys out of thee 22 at the start of the season should be born in the 80s...that isn't too bad
3) slow ?

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf View Post

Colorado, Suspect goaltending, but Theodore will wake up, young guns will get better
Nashville, yes gutted team, but still enough easy wins in division to take 5th spot
---------------
Vancouver, Luongo will keep the canucks going, but weak forwards and pitiful offense
Chicago, Savard will have the hawks in the playoffs until Jan, until injuries take toll.
Sharks - revamped blueline?????? Do you know something we don't?

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:33 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Traditionally, the playoff picture stays about the same as the previous year. I expect only two teams fall from the picture while two teams will emerge.

Falling out ...
  • Vancouver - They were over achievers last year and wont' be so lucky in a tough division.
  • Dallas - They did a fine job weathering the injury bug last year, but will find it difficult to compete without a scoring power.

Getting in ...
  • Colorado - hands down they are ready to make a splash
  • Columbus ... yes the Jackets have a lot to prove and their new coach will help get them there. They will be a big suprise.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf View Post

---------------
They lost their best defenseman

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:20 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
Traditionally, the playoff picture stays about the same as the previous year. I expect only two teams fall from the picture while two teams will emerge.

Falling out ...
  • Vancouver - They were over achievers last year and wont' be so lucky in a tough division.
  • Dallas - They did a fine job weathering the injury bug last year, but will find it difficult to compete without a scoring power.

Getting in ...
  • Columbus ... yes the Jackets have a lot to prove and their new coach will help get them there. They will be a big suprise.
So you think Nashville will stay in the playoff picture

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:41 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post

Falling out ...

Getting in ...

Lucky? How is having the best record in the second HALF of the season considered lucky?? It was not like they did it for 10 games...

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote