HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panther Prospect Tracker 2007-2008

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2007, 04:05 PM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
Panther Prospect Tracker 2007-2008

I'm sure the HF article will come out by September with our new prospect rankings but I haven't posted much lately and am pretty excited by our first 3 picks in the draft, plus I'm bored so I figured I'd take a stab at who I think are the top 20 prospects in our organization now.

1. Michael Frolik, F
For the Panthers, it's generally few and far between when looking at prospects in the organization over the years who posses such lofty upside offensively. Recently, Nathan Horton has emerged as a great sniper at the NHL level so hopefully Frolik can follow in his footsteps in terms of success rather than predecessors such as Ivan Novoseltsev or Denis Shvidki . With fantastic speed, smarts, and puck skills to match (including an NHL caliber wrist shot), he's a playmaker with a sniper's touch. Solid defensively and not afraid to mix it up physically, Frolik is developing nicely. Look for him to put up Radulov-type numbers in the "Q" this year, leading a talented Rimouski squad.
Projection: First/second line forward
ETA: 2008

2. Keaton Ellerby, D
Not since Bouwmeester have the panthers had a legitimate prospect with top pairing upside in the system. With fantastic size, skating ability and an absolute cannon of a shot to go along with a mean streak, Ellerby has all the raw tools to become a top 2 or 3 defensman in the NHL. What does, however, need to be improved upon is hockey sense and his mental game. While still young though, Ellerby must develop the mentality that brings forth his best every time he touches the ice, moreover, he must improve his consistency. He seems willing to listen and wanting to improve so look for his offensive numbers to improve in the coming year as he takes a large role in Kamloops. He also has an excellent shot at representing Canada at the WJC this winter. Very raw though, it will take a while for Ellerby to reach the NHL but there's no rush for him to get there with newfound depth on defense, so the sky is the limit for Ellerby.
Projection: Nasty top 3 defensman with a potential offensive upside
ETA: 2010

3. Noah Welch, D
A potential steal in the Gary Roberts trade, Welch has great size and skating and fantastic offensive potential on the back end. Not overly physical, Welch could stand to improve his defensive game and bulk up a little as he appears relatively lanky on the ice. After falling out of favor in Pittsburgh (he was thrown into the fire with those defensive corps), Welch will be given every opportunity to succeed with the Panthers and was impressive at times in his games at the end of the year in the NHL and AHL. Look for him to be on the 3rd pairing this fall.
Projection: Top 4 Defensman wth very good offensive skills (not purely offensive, but better offensively than defensively)
ETA: 2007

4. Shawn Matthias, C
Matthias is a good bet to make the panthers within a few years as Martin is very high on him and he fits the mold of the new-era panther that Martin has defined. The third straight member on this list to stand at 6'4'', Matthias is a hard worker who is a good all-around player with very good skating, physical play, and offensive ability. He stepped up bigtime in this year's OHL playoffs for Belleville and improved his point production. If he continues to improve his offensive game he could become a great top 6 threat in the NHL especially at his size. Look no further than the expansion partner Ducks to see what good size and skating does in the new NHL. Matthias fits the mold of what you need for success and will be an ingredient with the panthers in a few years.
Projection: Potential physical 3rd line center, maybe higher depending on his offense coming around
ETA 2009

5. Kendall McArdle, LW
The 2005 1st round pick (20th overall), Jacques Martin is also very high on McArdle who brings energy, speed and grit. A sparkplug out on the ice, his motor is always running at full speed and he also posesses some leadership ability. A future 3rd liner at the NHL level, this past year McArdle struggled after a trade to the memorial cup champion Vancouver Giants but found his game at the end of the season and playoffs. He ended up being a key part of the championship run. McArdle will be in the AHL this season to start the year but will be one of the first callups. He will almost certainly make his NHL debut at some point this upcoming season.
Projection: Energy 3rd line player that every team needs for success.
ETA 2008/09

6. Michael Repik, RW
A teammate of McArdle's on the Vancouver Giants, Repik easily could have gone in the late first round of this past NHL draft but he slid to the panthers at 40th overall. He is an elusive skater with good speed and acceleration and has good offensive abilities. He stepped up bigtime in the playoffs when the pressure was on and really led his club to the Memorial Cup Championship. Compared to Hejduk at times, Repik is a potential 2nd line winger but will still be able to play on the 3rd or 4th line if his offensive abilities don't further blossom due to his hardworking gritty game.
Projection: 2nd line offensive player with grit
ETA 2009/10

7. Tyler Plante, G
The possible successor to Tomas Vokoun in a few years, Plante has great talent in the net but also has a knack for becoming frustrated. He posted good stats this past season but had a mediocre playoffs. With great size in net at 6'3 Plante is a very good technical goalie but also struggles with rebound control at times. He will either play in Rochester or the ECHL with the Everblades this season. Look for either he on Shantz to back up Vokoun when Anderson's contract expires in 2 years.
Projection: Potential Starting goaltender
ETA 2010/11

8. Kamil Kreps, C
Kreps impressed in the opportunity he was given with the big club this season. After underwhelming in the AHL, Kreps displayed unrelenting hustle every shift with the panthers and showed some offensive creativity as well. Superscout and former GM Rick Dudley was as high on Kreps as anyone, and with his size, speed, and stickhandling, he does have the ability to creat offense. Look for Kreps to be on the 4th line opening night perhaps, along with David Booth.
Projection: 3rd line Forward with ability to play on the PP or PK
ETA 2007/08

9. David Booth, F
Booth earned icetime this year under Martin, playing mainly on the 4th line. His speed and hustle was exemplary out there most nights but he needs to work on capitalizing the chances he earns out on the ice. His offense probably will never be that of a top 6 foward but Booth will more than likely have a job in the NHL opening night for the Panthers on the 4th line.
Projection: Energy Forward, 3rd/4th liner
ETA 2007

10. Anthony Stewart, F
Stewart would have made the panthers out of training camp back in 2003, the year he was drafted, but a contract issue had him go back to juniors for the year. In those preseason games with the panthers he was as good as Nathan Horton, providing constant energy, speed, and physical play, driving the net hard. A major injury set him back a year ago as he shattered his wrist, and his work ethic has been called into question. Martin seems to project him as a 3rd or 4th liner with his size and speed but if he can recover and work on his consistency and become totally dedicated to hockey, he still has 2nd line upside.
Projection: 3rd line forward
ETA 2008

11. David Shantz, G
A solid goaltender who played well in the ECHL this past season, Shantz had his ups-and-downs at the AHL level. Shantz is great at getting infront of the puck and keeps the game simple. He was an ECHL allstar for the Everblades. He also has strong rebound control. His upsdie is not as high as fellow prospect Plante but he will be employed at the NHL level one day probably as a backup. Look for him to be the starter in Rochester this season.
Projection: NHL Backup goalie
ETA 2009/10

12. Dan Collins, F
Collins is a solid offensive player with good skills and skating. He helped lead Plymouth to the Memorial Cup this past season but was scoreless in the final games. Posting solid stats at the OHL level, Collins had some amazing streaks in his junior days, posting great numbers over stretches of time, but also had injury problems a year ago. He will most likely be in Rochester to start the season this fall and will develop at his own pace over the next few seasons.
Projection: 3rd line two-way forward
ETA: 2009/10

13. Derrick LaPoint, D
LaPoint is a very talented defensman with great high, but still somewhat raw. After a great rookie year in the USHL, Lapoint will head to UND this season to play with a great college program. He's a great skater and has good offensive abilities. He'll probably spent 2 years at least at UND maturing and developing his game as he is a project defensman.
Projection: Top 4 two way defensman who can play the PP
ETA 2010/11

14. Drew Bagnall, D
Bagnall quietly had a stellar year at St. Lawrence and was the only defensman among the Hobey Baker nominees. He's a solid 2 way defender who is mature after 4 years in college and has flown under the radar. Depending on how many defense we go into the season with, Bagnall very easily could be called up to fill in. At the AHL level he would be one of the first callups to the Panthers, above others like Lojek or Tuma.
Projection: Bottom pairing defensman
ETA 2008

15. Janis Sprukts, F
Sprukts came over from Europe last season and had a tremendous year in the AHL. He's a fantastic passer who reads the play very well and can create offense for his linemates. He needs to use his size more though in order to succeed at the NHL level and must improve his first step quickness. His skating is his one weakness. He posesses a nice long powerful stride but he either needs to get stronger on his skates and use his size down low to make plays, or improve his first step and acceleration in order to succeed in the NHL. Only skating is holding him back. He's close to NHL ready and will see some time this season, but the clock is ticking.....if he can't make an impact soon he will end up back in Europe.
Projection: 3rd line playmaking forward
ETA 2007/08

16. Brady Calla, F
Calla has absolute speed to burn. I've seen some videos of watching him play and his speed REALLY is that incredible. As has been said before, if his hands ever catch up to his feet, watch out because this kid could really be a solid contributer. He put up nice totals after his trade to Moose Jaw but his offense still needs to develop further to give him a shot at being a 3rd liner in the NHL. Just with speed alone though he will end up playing the 4th line somewhere as he has a lot of heart. He's a great kid as well with a positive attitude so time will tell how he develops.
Projection: 4th line speedy forward
ETA 2010

17. Evgeni Dadonov, F
A great 3rd round pick by Martin, the panthers feel they got a steal with this slick russian. A great skater with very good offensive skills, Dadonov projects as a potential top 6 winger which is good for the panthers as they lack prospects with high offensive ability for the most part. The 10th ranked European skater, he's a smart player but will need to get stronger and improve. He has time though and the panthers can hope they got a diamond in the rough with this skilled Russian.
Projection: Top 6 Skilled winger
ETA 2010/11

18. Brian Foster, G
The third goaltender to make the list, Foster will be backup again at UNH this season but in his only starts showed promise. He's the darkhorse of the organization but in 2 years, after a year of starting under his belt, his upside will be easier to gauge. He's a project but he's been clutch at lower levels and hopefully will continue to improve.
Projection: Project goaltender, time will tell
ETA 2011

19. Drew Larman, C
A hardworking, undrafted forward, Larman is a lanky checking center who has good size. He's a solid skater and has some offensive ability but if he ever makes the NHL, it will be as a 4th line center relied on defensively.
Projection: 4th line Center
ETA 2008

20. Martin Lojek, D
Lojek is a beast on the backline, his only problem is he also skates like one. He posesses a terrific blast from the point but his mobility sometimes limits his ability to get the shot off. He has improved though the last couple of seasons which is a positive sign. If he makes the NHL, it will be because he's improved his mobility out on the ice and it will be as a 5th or 6th defensman.
Projection: Bottom Pairing Defenseman
ETA 2009

Honorable Mention: Matt Rust, Stefan Meyer, Michael Caruso, Rob Globke

Hope you guys enjoy :-)

Old
07-03-2007, 04:40 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

awsome I liketheir projections !

Old
07-03-2007, 04:46 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Very nice analysis.

I think this one deserves a sticky.

Old
07-03-2007, 05:01 PM
FloriDuck

Repik looks like he could be a pest. I cannot wait to see him on the ice. I like those type of players. They are sooo much fun to watch.

Old
07-03-2007, 05:38 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
i agree - nice job.

pretty impressive how JM's been able to remake our top 20 prospect list (2 picks and 2 acquisitions in the top 6?) while tweaking the big club's lineup for the better.

Old
07-03-2007, 08:44 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Very nice analysis.

I think this one deserves a sticky.
Retitled to replace the just-unstickied Panther Prospect Tracker for last season. Now, this one has become the 2007-2008 version.

BTW, PR, great analysis!

Old
07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
PanthersRule96

Haha sweet, thanks guys and gals, appreciate it. Glad you found it interesting.

Even something I noticed myself in writing that, when you look at it, almost every player Martin has brought in has that grit, speed and two-way play makeup. You can really see how this team is going to shape up by looking at each prospect. The top forwards will be Horton, Weiss, Frolik, Olesz, Jokinen or something he brings back in a trade, and someone else who emerges and we have a plethora of 3rd/4th line guys. Kreps, Collins, Calla, Booth, Spurkts, Matthias perhaps, etc... all of them will eventually be the ones who emerge and fill in the bottom 2 lines. This organization just in one year has really restocked nicely. ANd we dont NEED those top prospects as much anymore as we did so the top line depth isn't as key anymore, we need the lower line players.

Old
07-04-2007, 03:51 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Good list man. However from what i've been told by some people who follow the WHL closely, Repik isn't really ideally suited to the 3rd and 4th lines. During the regular season, he was largely a perimeter player which is in complete contrast to his playoff success. He'll either be a top 6 forward, or nothing.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:18 PM
JovoCop

We've upgraded our defensive prospectus 10-fold since this time last year with two trees in Noah Welch and Keaton Ellerby. I can not wait until I see the day when we have Welch, Ellerby to go on the blueline while also have Big Jay back there as well.

I love what Frolik could become, he really is one of my favorites right now in our system.

We could really use his high octane style sooner rather than later. Also, I think we could use our potential bangers up sooner too.

From this point last season, our make up in the minors is much better and we have a better idea of what we have, and that is good.

Old
07-05-2007, 01:16 AM
PanthersRule96

yeah, Repik is a skilled player I think first and foremost but he's willing to work on his game and play gritty obviously as he's shown. If he realizes he can't cut it in the top 6 then perhaps he could still readjust his game to suit himself for the 3rd or 4th line, who knows. Hopefully he'll work out on the top two though.

Anyways, yeah I'm bored and I was messing around at the rink today and I didn't know what thread to put this in, but if anyone is actually more bored than I am and wants to check out a video of some ok hockey trick moves (no Rob Schremp though), I had some fun making it and figured if anyone cared, check it out.....possible panther prospect haha, no, but figured I'd post it in a thread I created....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Gt-c_4ROhc

Old
07-05-2007, 04:53 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
yeah, Repik is a skilled player I think first and foremost but he's willing to work on his game and play gritty obviously as he's shown. If he realizes he can't cut it in the top 6 then perhaps he could still readjust his game to suit himself for the 3rd or 4th line, who knows. Hopefully he'll work out on the top two though.

Anyways, yeah I'm bored and I was messing around at the rink today and I didn't know what thread to put this in, but if anyone is actually more bored than I am and wants to check out a video of some ok hockey trick moves (no Rob Schremp though), I had some fun making it and figured if anyone cared, check it out.....possible panther prospect haha, no, but figured I'd post it in a thread I created....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Gt-c_4ROhc
Dude, cool video, i always enjoy watching Michael Frolik.

Actually, i just watched it because you are hot haha. I can safely say you are a better hockey player than me, though i've gotta say, it was like watching Lojek skate haha.

The most interesting prospect in our system is Dadonov, just because he is russian.

Im already looking forward to the 08 draft. I know we don't have a 1st round pick, but man i want us to draft Nikita Filatov. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMpySCf89vk <---- Sick.

Old
07-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post

Actually, i just watched it because you are hot haha. I can safely say you are a better hockey player than me, though i've gotta say, it was like watching Lojek skate haha.

The most interesting prospect in our system is Dadonov, just because he is russian.

Im already looking forward to the 08 draft. I know we don't have a 1st round pick, but man i want us to draft Nikita Filatov. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMpySCf89vk <---- Sick.
I saw a lot of sick moves from Filatov but really only one finish he looks like he;s got a high potential

Old
07-05-2007, 10:21 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpanthers87 View Post
I saw a lot of sick moves from Filatov but really only one finish he looks like he;s got a high potential
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBqFrO0W3Yo <---- One where he does score.

Typical Russian, insane amount of skill. He isn't the biggest, and with the Russian transfer agreement (Cherepanov at 17th is idiotic) you never know where he would fall. He'd be the type of guy we really should get. Though thats a year off damn it.

Old
07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JovoCop View Post
I love what Frolik could become, he really is one of my favorites right now in our system.

We could really use his high octane style sooner rather than later. Also, I think we could use our potential bangers up sooner too.
Looking at recent history as an example, Jason Spezza really had to earn his NHL spot while Martin was coach - took him about three or four years. So I'd say it'll be a little while before Frolik is in our lineup unless he really blows Martin away in camp. I don't think he likes to rush prospects - and that's why Dvorak and Zednik were brought in - to delay the need to bring in prospects. I think McLean is here to be a more significant piece of the future team than they are.

Old
07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBqFrO0W3Yo <---- One where he does score.

Typical Russian, insane amount of skill. He isn't the biggest, and with the Russian transfer agreement (Cherepanov at 17th is idiotic) you never know where he would fall. He'd be the type of guy we really should get. Though thats a year off damn it.
I agree the kid has supierior skill. He's very fast, your right he is small but thats the new NHL speed kills I want to continue to track this kid sure looks like he has a future.

Old
07-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Yeah, he looks like he could be a good one. At least in these clips he shows a lot of hustle when on the attack and doesn't give up on plays just because they're hard. And on the other vid I like how excited he gets about scoring - means he cares - not like he just expects to score because he thinks he's so great.

Naturally from these clips there's no way to tell about his defensive game, whether he also keeps moving when away from the puck, whether he battles for the loose puck, etc. But there's a lot of raw talent that some NHL team will be happy to bring into the fold, I'm sure.

Old
07-05-2007, 11:01 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
I agree the kid has supierior skill. He's very fast, your right he is small but thats the new NHL speed kills I want to continue to track this kid sure looks like he has a future.
Well with 08 supposed to have a very good top end and depth, and with the issues with Russia at the moment, its a real possibility he'd go alot lower than his talent justifies.

He is somebody we lack in the system, Frolik apart. We have endless 3rd line guys.

Old
07-05-2007, 11:14 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:

Hahahahahaha wow that made me crack up.

Filatov looks awesome btw.

Old
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Well with 08 supposed to have a very good top end and depth, and with the issues with Russia at the moment, its a real possibility he'd go alot lower than his talent justifies.

He is somebody we lack in the system, Frolik apart. We have endless 3rd line guys.
I agree aside from Frolik and possibly Matthias and Repik I do not really see any game breakers. Who knows what will happen this season though... would be nice to have him in our system but it is wayyy to early to tell

Old
07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Hahahahahaha wow that made me crack up.

Filatov looks awesome btw.
Anytime, anywhere, if you are feeling lonely, you know where to found me baby.

I wouldn't mind Kuchin in 09. Dear god, i wish we had saved our rebuild untill this time.

Old
07-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Crossbar

Good job PR!

Also cool video. Do you know how to do that "Rob Hisey" move, getting the puck on the blade from between your legs and then doing a spin-o-rama?

Old
07-07-2007, 12:17 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Good job PR!

Also cool video. Do you know how to do that "Rob Hisey" move, getting the puck on the blade from between your legs and then doing a spin-o-rama?
Thanks, appreciate it.

Kind of, in the video the ice wasnt great and my tape was already wet as it was, so I totally suprised myself doing the modified michigan at the end there because I didn't think I could get it to work. I've done the Hisey thing a couple times but I can't do it consistently yet. Maybe by the end of the summer skating I'll get it down haha. Hisey was a coach at a camp I was at 4 years ago when I was younger ironically.

Old
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
PattyLaLa16

Glass and Bagnall have to be signed by Aug. 15th. Obviously Bagnall seems to be a slam dunk to get signed and head up here with the Amerks this fall. My question would be about Tanner Glass and wanting to know if he'll get a contract offer, or get let go?

Old
07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLaLa16 View Post
Glass and Bagnall have to be signed by Aug. 15th. Obviously Bagnall seems to be a slam dunk to get signed and head up here with the Amerks this fall. My question would be about Tanner Glass and wanting to know if he'll get a contract offer, or get let go?
I'd guess let go but he works hard so maybe Martin will reward him with a contract.

Old
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
PattyLaLa16

Yes definately a hard worker who's not afraid to get his nose dirty. That much I could tell when he was here for a brief stint.

I wouldn't want him to take up a spot on the roster especially when the Amerks roster is so thin on proven scorers for the upcoming season. But starting with the Everblades and filling in when needed, would be fine by me.

McArdle, Stewart, and Collins really need to take off for the Amerks to be competitive, with basically an all rookie defense and goaltending combo.

Closed Thread