HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mini-camp starts Friday!!!

Old
07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
Please, do keep us posted.
A couple of failed photo attempts later, and no good information from these sources.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 02:03 PM
flyersfan64*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Could be that his shoulder isn't 100% yet.
yea it is better that he does not screw up shouldr anymore. i think they are gonna keep himout of full contact until they are sure he is ready. it is better to wait a couple of weeks then to screw it up more

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 09:45 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd3987 View Post
I was at the scrimmage today and didn't see downie out there. I left a little early and as I was walking out I saw him and jeff carter running around the building. So, if anyone has any clue as to why he didn't participate in the scrimmage even though he was still at the building please let me know.
Like, running around as in chasing each other like little kids? If they're having that much fun with each other already this is going to be a fantastic team to watch.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:29 AM
exlund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
A couple of failed photo attempts later, and no good information from these sources.
There's a couple fan reports posted on the philly.com board...my dark horse Kempe and Nodl looking good

To: ALL (1 of 13)

I attended the prospects scrimmage this morning and thought I'd share some of my impressions regarding the players (I'll post photos and vids later if any are worthwhile).

Here are some of the players I focused on or otherwise made an impression:

JVR: Didn't really stick out in the first period other than getting away with a blatant hold on Potulny. However, for a couple shifts in the 2nd and 3rd periods, this kid showed glimpses of being a dominant force. He skated extremely well, controlled the puck down low for long streches and had a few scoring chances. He also threw his body around late in the game. On the down side, he seemed a bit out-of-shape. He appeared to get winded rather easily and I wasn't the only person there to notice.

Claude Giroux: Looked like the player I expected after reading all his scouting reports. He was fast, with real quick acceleration and excellent puck control. He set up the first goal of the game with a sweet back-handed saucer pass to Cabana.

Ryan Parent: Looked like a veteran defenseman amongst all the kids. As advertised, he skates extremely well and plays a real smart game.

Andreas Nodl: The most impressive player in the scrimmage. He appears most NHL ready forward out of all the Flyers prospects, save Ruzicka and Potulny. He is an awesome skater and EXTREMELY skilled. He seemed to create quite a few chances, especially later in the scrimmage. Got absolutely destroyed by a check from Rob Bellamy, but didn't miss a shift.

Mario Kempe: A human highlite reel ... the kid can fly and showed off some impressive moves including a toe drag through his legs while skating close to full speed. He really stuck out as a flashy player. Not sure if his game will translate to the NHL ... he is quite slight in stature.

Freddy Cabana: Scored the first two goals of the scrimmage and really impressed me his his skating and hustle. Doest have bad size either. Centered the stongest line in the game = Nodl-Cabana-Tolpeko (scored 1 goal as well). *Giroux assisted on Cabana's first after Tolpeko went off on a change.

Michael Ratchuk: Small, but quick and fast. Really likes to jump up in the offense. Played a bit reckless.

Rob Bellamy: Hitting machine. Had maybe the three hardest hits in the game, on Nodl, Klotz and Rheault.

J. Matsumoto: The guy really hustles his ####off. Decent skills and mobility.

**Downie didn't play.

----

To: Flyersmania2 (5 of 13)

33094.5 in reply to 33094.4

van riemsdyk was exhausted throughout the whole scrimmage. After two trips up the ice he was gassed. He came came out of scrums alot with the puck. He really wins one on one battles.

Potulny rang a hard shot off the goal post in the third, but didn't stand out much other than that.

Lars looked good and was constantly involved with the play, he is not nearly as composed as Parent, but is much more aggressive.

Parent-one word..."Smooth" he just glides out there. I was very impressed with his acceleration going backwards.

Clackson has some nice offensive bursts.

Kempe can really skate as well.

Bellamy was an animal out there. Several big hits all over.

Greentree is a very large man that seemed to have a good feel in the offensive zone. He got to alot of pucks.

Giroux was outstanding to me. He read the flow of the game and is dangerous when entering into the offensive zone. He can really make some creative plays crossing the line. He set up the disallowed goal in the third, and quarterbacked the play in OT to win. He made a nice entry into the zone and got the puck back to Parent. Parent passed back to Giroux who switched corners and Giroux back to Anderson for a goal. Very pretty and composed.

Rusicka was pretty nice as well. Strong.

exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:17 AM
GameFace247SON
@NHLonICE

Send a message via AIM to GameFace247SON
I was there as well. The one impression I took away was that Klotz is a big dumb animal. He was given a gift turnover right in front and I think I actually saw his brain fart.

GameFace247SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:24 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFace247SON View Post
I was there as well. The one impression I took away was that Klotz is a big dumb animal. He was given a gift turnover right in front and I think I actually saw his brain fart.

Excellent.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:31 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
parent didn't make one mistake, make a few questionable rushes in front of his own net, but never got burnt.

giroux has blazing speed and can anticapate the game very well, has very good hockey sense

van riemsdyk looked out of shape, lost almost all his faceoffs, and was always the last one back on the backcheck. a couple nice moves down low.

matsumoto ended up being my favorite player in the scrimmage. was willing to go down low and get harassed but still made the play. very good hands, and had a couple of really good passes

bellamy was a true monster, put a few "gauthier" hits on people too.

lars was very much involved in the play, had a couple nice shots from the point.

ruzicka looked good at some points, but then bad at others. he gave up on the play numerous times, but scored on a beautiful top shelf wrist shot.

potulny played really well, was always involved in the play and rushing the puck. won most of his faceoffs and looked like the best forward out on the ice.

nodl from what i saw didn't really impress me that much, unlike what some of the others thought. didn't notice him in the play that much, but w/e.

kempe had some good speed, but ran into the net.

my main dissapointment was kevin marshall. he got beat really easily numerous times and was slow getting back into the play.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:43 AM
A Flock Of Seguins

I'm really excited about this group of kids.
Thanks for the updates everyone.

A Flock Of Seguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 03:38 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I've noticed no one really made any mention of Bartulitus? Did he just not look flashy or what? He is one of the guys I'm looking forward to seeing in a few years, how did he look at the camp?

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Norm MacDonald

Is Nodl expected to play for the Phantoms next year, or is he going back to St. Cloud State?

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFace247SON View Post
Well, he's done nothing so far to prove he wasn't a complete waste of a 3rd round pick -- well, a waste of a draft pick in general, really, no matter what round.

I'm still pissed about picking a player like Klotz over the multitude of actually skilled players that were still on the board at the time.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 09:15 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
I've noticed no one really made any mention of Bartulitus? Did he just not look flashy or what? He is one of the guys I'm looking forward to seeing in a few years, how did he look at the camp?
Bartulitus was listed by a couple of Flyers brass as one of the players who impressed at camp, him along with Parent, Nodl and Giroux.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Well, he's done nothing so far to prove he wasn't a complete waste of a 3rd round pick -- well, a waste of a draft pick in general, really, no matter what round.

I'm still pissed about picking a player like Klotz over the multitude of actually skilled players that were still on the board at the time.
I wouldn't be too hard on him. He has the potential to be an elite whipping boy.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Flyers31RiP

Quote:
You mean, Klotz wasn't a better pick than say, Maxime Tanguay? Actually, I am pissed about a couple of things in this draft. Picking JVR over Turris for a team that always has plenty of power forwards and few playmakers was a mistake right out of the gate.

And if Edmonton wanted Pitkanen so bad, why not trade him for the 15th pick and Smith, and take Cherepanov. I have nightmares of him lighting the lamp against us right and left. I think the dreaded Rangers got the steal of the draft on that one.

And I'm also not convinced they had to give up the pick to Nashville; I think they could have gotten Hartnell and Timonen anyway. Maybe they could have moved up to get Esposito, another pick that will come back to haunt the Flyboys.

Flyers31RiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:53 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
I was hoping if they were going to take a risk with the pick, it would more be a risk like Maxim Mayorov. A risk of whether or not you could get the guy to play for your team, not a risk of maybe the guy will magically develop skill at this point in his development.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
I wouldn't be too hard on him. He has the potential to be an elite whipping boy.
And could have been had later in the draft, not at the expense of a prospect with actual hockey skills.

Old
07-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
I was hoping if they were going to take a risk with the pick, it would more be a risk like Maxim Mayorov. A risk of whether or not you could get the guy to play for your team, not a risk of maybe the guy will magically develop skill at this point in his development.
Yup. Among the guys still on the board when the Flyers picked Klotz:

Chris DiDomenico

Maxime Tanguay

Yannick Weber

Casey Pierro-Zabotel

Corey Tropp

Vladimir Ruzicka

Maxim Gratchev

Kent Patterson

Milan Kytnar

Mark Santorelli

Patrik Zackrisson

Blake Kessel

Zack Torquato

The list goes on, you get the idea. I know I should get over this, especially since we're talking about a 3rd round pick who'd be at least a few years away from contributing, but I just can't... yes, it irks me that much.

Old
07-15-2007, 10:42 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Yup. Among the guys still on the board when the Flyers picked Klotz:

Chris DiDomenico

Maxime Tanguay

Yannick Weber

Casey Pierro-Zabotel

Corey Tropp

Vladimir Ruzicka

Maxim Gratchev

Kent Patterson

Milan Kytnar

Mark Santorelli

Patrik Zackrisson

Blake Kessel

Zack Torquato

The list goes on, you get the idea. I know I should get over this, especially since we're talking about a 3rd round pick who'd be at least a few years away from contributing, but I just can't... yes, it irks me that much.
I agree whole heartedly. Even if they Flyers felt like they had to have him I feel they easily could have gotten him late in the draft. I've always been of the believe that you take enforcers in the last two rounds if at all. Even if these skilled players are a risk, there is at least potential to have a player who contributes more than fistacuffs.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 12:18 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Is Nodl expected to play for the Phantoms next year, or is he going back to St. Cloud State?
Back to St. Cloud State I think he said.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Rick Deckard

Leslie Treff has a write up about the performance of six Flyers CHL prospects (Giroux, Maroon, Kempe, Laliberte, Klotz and Duchesne) on fridays scrimmage on her blog

Quote:
Pat Maroon (London Knights)--Maroon made some very impressive plays today. He showed excellent puck control, and on two occasions weaved in and out of traffic with the puck with ease. However, at other times, he seemed not to make the best decisions with and without the puck. Some balance issues exist, which along with his skating will need to be worked on, but overall a good performance.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote