HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Lightning sign Brad Lukowich

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2007, 07:43 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
So gained experience in a defensive system like the Devils' won't help him at all? Anyways, we'll gladly take him back at the trade deadline if we're still in the hunt.

Old
07-03-2007, 07:46 PM
GWF82

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GWF82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealsupra View Post
the system i speak of is the overall system of offense and pinching and a LOT of skating for dmen.... luko just doesnt fit that bill....

why not preissing? he went to somewhere sunny and for a great price....i dont see why we couldnt have gotten him..he would have been 10000000x better then luko....

and as for it only be july...judging by feasters previous offseasons.... and the fact that he has no money left to spend.... i would say your NEW tampa bay lightning are:

prospal-lecavalier-st louis
hlavac-richards-ouellet
craig-gratton-ward
tarnasky-taylor/jones-roy

karlsson

boyle-ranger(assuming he will get signed)
kuba-lukowich
obrien-smaby(more then likely)

holmqvist
denis
ramo

yeah nice offseason ...tell which of the 29 other nhl teams is worrying about our secondary scoring now?
good lordy, Ive found someone that is more of a doom theorist than me...I like it and as of right now kind of agree with you.

Old
07-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWF82 View Post
good lordy, Ive found someone that is more of a doom theorist than me...I like it and as of right now kind of agree with you.

hahahaha...actually im neither a pessimist or an optimist...im a REALIST....and being so that is what i see.... this offseason has been a disaster thus far as far as i concerned.

Old
07-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 8237
Awards:
Meh... he wasn't a bad d-man...wasn't great either.... But we needed another Dman so..I'll wait and see how things play out with the asst. coach and the new/retread players...

Old
07-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I am happy to have Lukowichg back in the fold, its a very cap friendly number and I agree with other posters, Lukowich's game has got better since leaving Tampa. I think he'll play a very good no. 5 or 6 role...I can tell you I am very happy we didn't overpay to keep Sarich instead brought back Lukowich who is just as good.

Old
07-03-2007, 08:07 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I am happy to have Lukowichg back in the fold, its a very cap friendly number and I agree with other posters, Lukowich's game has got better since leaving Tampa. I think he'll play a very good no. 5 or 6 role...I can tell you I am very happy we didn't overpay to keep Sarich instead brought back Lukowich who is just as good.
No kidding. Luko over Sarich anyday. Especially with $$$ in mind.

Old
07-03-2007, 08:15 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
hahahaha...actually im neither a pessimist or an optimist...im a REALIST....and being so that is what i see.... this offseason has been a disaster thus far as far as i concerned.
I had to temporarily un-ban myself to say...

If you were a realist you'd have expected a lot less. You can want whatever you want, but there was no realistic way we'd get Hamrlik and Ryan Smith, for example, to sign. So we got what we got.

Plain and simple a good signing. Even if Feaster had the funds to land a "top 4" defenseman, Lukowich is a great addition. Lukowich has played better then Sarich the last 2 years and signed for way less.

Lukowich is Sarich's replacement. I'll take Luk! O'Brien is Pratt's replacement. I'll take OB! Smaby will replace Janik. I'll take Smaby! New assistant coach. Gotta help!

OK, see you in a few weeks...not that you'll miss me.

Old
07-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG View Post

If you were a realist you'd have expected a lot less. You can want whatever you want, but there was no realistic way we'd get Hamrlik and Ryan Smith, for example, to sign. So we got what we got.

Plain and simple a good signing. Even if Feaster had the funds to land a "top 4" defenseman, Lukowich is a great addition. Lukowich has played better then Sarich the last 2 years and signed for way less.

Lukowich is Sarich's replacement. I'll take Luk! O'Brien is Pratt's replacement. I'll take OB! Smaby will replace Janik. I'll take Smaby! New assistant coach. Gotta help!

where did i EVER say i was expecting smyth and hamrlik or any other high priced UFA.

i expected SOMETHING better then what we got because we COULD have afforded it.

sorry im just not feeling this. and im not happy at all with the offseason thus far.

Old
07-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
where did i EVER say i was expecting smyth and hamrlik or any other high priced UFA.

i expected SOMETHING better then what we got because we COULD have afforded it.

sorry im just not feeling this. and im not happy at all with the offseason thus far.
How? Which players who are upgrades over Ouellet and Lukowich do you think would have signed here that fit under the 44 million cap while taking in to account you still need to sign Ranger and Craig.

07-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
How? Which players who are upgrades over Ouellet and Lukowich do you think would have signed here that fit under the 44 million cap?

lets see

preissing for one top 4 dman that FITS THE SYSTEM taken care of.

as far as a scoring winger... owen nolan would have been a great pickup... sykora at would have been another perfect pickup.

all of those guys went for money we could have easily afforded...all under 3M per year....

2.75 for preissing
2.5 for sykora
UNDER 2M for nolan

thats just over 7M for three players that would have made us 10x better then last year and given us a true scoring threat and very solid defense

Old
07-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Preissing signed for 2.75 a year for 4 years.

Signing him alone would have put us just under 43 million dollars.

Nolan signed 2 million for one year.

Sykora signed for 2 years 2.5 million per year.

So say you sign Preissing and Nolan, first you assume that both are interested in signing with the Lightning, then signing both would put us at around 44.5 million while leaving Ranger and Craig unsigned. So you sign two players who might be slight upgrades over the players the Lightning did sign and you go over your self imposed cap without signing a major piece of the puzzle in Ranger and Craig.

Old
07-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Preissing signed for 2.75 a year for 4 years.

Signing him alone would have put us just under 43 million dollars.

Nolan signed 2 million for one year.

Sykora signed for 2 years 2.5 million per year.

So say you sign Preissing and Nolan, first you assume that both are interested in signing with the Lightning, then signing both would put us at around 44.5 million while leaving Ranger and Craig unsigned. So you sign two players who might be slight upgrades over the players the Lightning did sign and you go over your self imposed cap without signing a major piece of the puzzle in Ranger and Craig.
what?

going into free agency we were at 38M

preissing and sykora and nolan combined would put us at 45M. i was only saying two of them. and after craig and ranger sign it would still be under 45M which i believe would be acceptable.

whatever im wrong youre right...at least until the games start i guess...

Old
07-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
The team bashing is getting to be a little much around here, even for me.

Feaster can only do so much. When ownership wants to cap their team while everyone else can pick up anyone they can fit below the ceiling, this is what happens. Do I think Feaster should have been more thrifty/creative when handing out contracts? Yes. Do I think he's made decent moves with what he's been given? Yes.

Like it or not, these are the signings you're going to see until this team is either broken down and rebuilt, or we're blasting through the division and ownership gives Feaster the greenlight at the trade deadline to aquire a big piece.

Lukowich will NOT play top 4 minutes. He knows this system, and he will be used on the 5-6 pairing with whoever takes that last spot out of camp, be it Mihalik/Egener/Rogers/Smaby.

Old
07-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Hockeyfan02

I'm not thrilled, but like others have said this is the best Feaster can do given the budget handed to him by Davidson. I think he improved in Jersey and I'll take him over Sarich when taking in to account salary. We'll have to see who takes the 6th spot to see what the whole D will look like and how they fit under Sullivan. Craig and Ranger will be done by camp as I don't think either has arbitration rights and I doubt either one receives an offer sheet.

Old
07-03-2007, 10:27 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

better to have Lukowich back than Janik, Richardson, or Pratt. I thought it was a solid pick up, but I wouldnt sign him for 3 years. But hay who knows?

Old
07-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Bolthed

LOL @ wanting Preissing. Now that was unREALISTic! Feaster has to work within the budget, and so far I think he's done well. His twist on being a GM is obviously to look for already-established chemistry ... hence Ouelette and Smirky. Those are both quality signings considering the money (and the money being thrown around to other veterans who may have "sexier" names but not necessarily the sexy game).

If Feaster can squeeze one more free agent wing into the mix so that Hlavac isn't simply handed a roster spot this fall, I will be quite pleased. I still think Richards needs someone with some size and skill to round out his line. Best hopes for cheap are Adam Hall and Josef Vasicek. Either would work and (unlike Hlavac) either could slide down to the third line when Torts does his mix-and-match thing.

Good offseason, considering the budget.

Old
07-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Lukowich was very solid for NJ last season. Solid defense, some clutch goals, and the occasional big hit. The years are a bit much, but I think he's a good bargain at $1.5M. Tampa fans won't be disappointed.

Old
07-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
good signing.

Old
07-04-2007, 07:32 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG View Post

I wish you'd stick around. You're making more and more sense all the time. Definately better than Sarich and for half the price. This is an excellent signing by Feaster.

Old
07-04-2007, 08:48 AM
garmonbozia

Not too excited nor too down about this one. It was a safe move more than a splashy one. The familiarity probably made it easier.

Still won't be shocked to see Pratt OR Janik back next year, despite this. If only as back-up plan to one of Smaby/Rogers/Mihalik/Egener not 'earning' their place yet (still).

Also expect another wing to be brought in, whether signing or trade or just a camp invite, to keep the competition for those spots honest. As outlined in my Ugly Duckling thread, this offseason is really living up to the underwhelming expectations anticipated. Can't knock it too much though until everything is done and they're going back to camp. Seems a bit premature to sound the death knells of next year so soon.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
If you guys don't want him, we'll gladly take him back.

Old
07-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Who would you rather have?

Roman Hamrlik @ $5.5m per season
Cory Sarich @ $3.6m per season
Tom Preissing @ $2.75m per season
Brad Lukowich @ $1.5m per season

I don't know about you guys, but I'd take Lukowich over those guys anyday at those prices.

Boyle, Kuba, Ranger, O'Brien, Lukowich, and whoever, probably Smaby.

Not that bad folks.

Remember it took Kuba about half a season to seemingly get comfortable with the Lightning, O'Brien and Ranger should only continue to get better, and this is going to be a contract season for Boyle so he might play even better than he did last season. Point being our blueline is looking pretty good right now in my opinion.

Last summer I remember some people talking about how terrible it was that we lost Kubina...did we really miss him at all last season? I know I didn't. And now the Leafs are pretty much wanting to unload him and that ridiculous contract they signed him to.

Remember when Cullimore left for Chicago a few seasons ago? Same thing, people talking about how it was a mistake to let him walk. Hes been stinking up in Chicago, he was traded to Montreal then BOUGHT OUT.

Good riddance Sarich, Perrin and Fedotenko, they were all role players and we've replaced them with cheaper alternatives. People around here should be happy-ier.

Old
07-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/07/04/Li...htning_p.shtml

Quote:
"And we're not done, " general manager Jay Feaster said of adding defensive depth. "But now, we're a whole lot better off bringing in a guy who knows us and who we know."
Not that there is a thing as "too much" defensive depth but does this say anything about Smaby or am I reading too much into a Feaster quote?

EDIT: Less than 20 minutes after this post we acquired defenseman Bryce Lampman for Mitch Fritz. Looks like more depth for Norfolk.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=56802

Last edited by Going Back to Cally: 07-04-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old
07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
No-Twitch Tabitha

Send a message via MSN to No-Twitch Tabitha
Toronto.

Old
07-05-2007, 06:51 PM
GWF82

Send a message via AIM to GWF82
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Good riddance Sarich, Perrin and Fedotenko, they were all role players and we've replaced them with cheaper alternatives. People around here should be happy-ier.
Only beef is this line...we replaced these guys with cheaper (not necessarily BETTER) alternatives adn those same guys got aus a first round exit last season. What with these signings makes me think ANYTHING is going to be different this season? I see zero upgrade, more or less lateral moves to this point

Closed Thread