HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Wings vs Thrashers any news??

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 11:25 AM
soya_sauce_chicken

vCash: 500
Wings vs Thrashers any news??

i jsut read this on a different hockey forum... not sure if this has been posted..
Wings to wear patch for Dan Snyder
Associated Press
12/30/2003

DETROIT (CP) - The Detroit Red Wings will wear a special No. 37 patch on their jerseys for Wednesday night's game against the visiting Thrashers, the same tribute patch that Atlanta has worn all year long for former teammate Dan Snyder, killed after a car crash before the season.

The game-worn jerseys for both teams will be auctioned by the NHL Players' Association, with all proceeds going to the Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship, an award established by the NHLPA and Thrashers players to honour Snyder in his hometown of Elmira, Ont.

The 25-year-old Snyder died Oct. 5 from injuries he suffered in a car accident in Atlanta, with Thrashers teammate Dany Heatley behind the wheel. Heatley suffered a broken jaw and two torn knee ligaments and just last week resumed skating.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:27 AM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken
i jsut read this on a different hockey forum... not sure if this has been posted..
Wings to wear patch for Dan Snyder
Associated Press
12/30/2003

DETROIT (CP) - The Detroit Red Wings will wear a special No. 37 patch on their jerseys for Wednesday night's game against the visiting Thrashers, the same tribute patch that Atlanta has worn all year long for former teammate Dan Snyder, killed after a car crash before the season.

The game-worn jerseys for both teams will be auctioned by the NHL Players' Association, with all proceeds going to the Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship, an award established by the NHLPA and Thrashers players to honour Snyder in his hometown of Elmira, Ont.

The 25-year-old Snyder died Oct. 5 from injuries he suffered in a car accident in Atlanta, with Thrashers teammate Dany Heatley behind the wheel. Heatley suffered a broken jaw and two torn knee ligaments and just last week resumed skating.
Seriously? Wow... didn't expect the Wings to do this...

Old
12-30-2003, 11:29 AM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK17
Seriously? Wow... didn't expect the Wings to do this...
yea.. that's why i posted here to see if anyone has heard of this.. if it is, it's really cool...

Old
12-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Jacob

I thought the Thrashers wanted everyone to let it go?

Old
12-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Kukla

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=66126

Old
12-30-2003, 11:41 AM
beerpaul*

This game will feature 4 players who are in the top ten in scoring right now. Brett Hull, Pavel Dats., Illya Kovalchuk and Marc Savard. Go Thrash!

Old
12-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I thought the Thrashers wanted everyone to let it go?
I think it's great. And I don't feel uncomfortable about the Wings doing it. Lord knows, the Wings can understand the pain of losing a teammate in a horrible car crash.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:51 AM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
I think it's great. And I don't feel uncomfortable about the Wings doing it. Lord knows, the Wings can understand the pain of losing a teammate in a horrible car crash.
That's just what I thought... If any team understands it, it's the Red Wings. It's pretty nice and classy of them to do this.

Old
12-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

I think its a very classy thing for the Wings to do.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Mr_Hockeytown19

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_Hockeytown19
class

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
I think its a very classy thing for the Wings to do.
having met mike ilitch,as well as many wings including 2 of the 3 victims of the limo crash.there is no better word to describe them.don waddell was with detroit before joining atlanta-so clearly ilitch wanted to step up to help.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Voynich

I despise the Wings, but this move is as classy as you can get and my respect for the organization has increased more than I thought it ever would.

Old
12-31-2003, 04:54 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Last edited by btn: 12-31-2003 at 04:58 AM.
Old
12-31-2003, 08:59 AM
balddog66

Classy move by the wings...really makes you appreciate how special a person Dan Snyder was...considering greater players have passed away early and not had the same out pouring of grief and support.
Each NHL team should look at doing this for certain charities.
Out of 82 games a year, imagine the amount of money that could be brought in if more teams donated items to charity.

Old
12-31-2003, 07:33 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
What you forgot to mention was that each of the jerseys will also be autographed by the player who wore it.

Bash us all you want, but the Wings have been known to do class acts both on and off the ice for years.

My only regret is that I am not rich enough to bid on Pasha's jersey...that would be great to have.

Last edited by kira: 12-31-2003 at 07:56 PM.
Old
12-31-2003, 07:51 PM
saa25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
Bash us all you want, but the Wings have been known to do class acts both on and off the ice for years.
I can't disagree with that!

Old
01-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Jacob

Quote:
But what does this say about the 28 other teams that didn't do a similar gesture, simply at the Thrashers request? Why are the Wings different?

Every team, sadly, has ties to a player or personell that has died in a car accident. The Pens have Briere, and recently Herbie. I'm sorry, I didn't find it all that classy.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:09 AM
Voynich

Quote:
But what does this say about the 28 other teams that didn't do a similar gesture, simply at the Thrashers request? Why are the Wings different?

Every team, sadly, has ties to a player or personell that has died in a car accident. The Pens have Briere, and recently Herbie. I'm sorry, I didn't find it all that classy.
The idea was the Wings, not the Thrashers. Our organization has asked that we not have a Dan Snyder tribute at every arena we vistit. They are trying to put that horrible incident behind them, as hard as that is to do. I think this was a special exception, on a special night in Detroit because of the connection between the two organizations.

The Wings and the Thrashers have a strong connection to each other in Don Waddell. He was with the Detroit organization for a long time, that more than anything else is what probably made this different.

While I hate the bandwagon fans that the Wings picked up over the years (i.e. those that live and are from places like Louisiana, Oklahoma, Montana, Idaho. Not those that are Detroit natives), I must say that I highly respect their organization and ownership and this gesture has cemented them in my mind as one of the classiest franchises in all of pro sports.

Bravo Detroit Red Wings!

Old
01-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Sundried TOmato

Quote:
You are comparing apples and oranges. The Wings lost a guy who was in his prime -- a Norris Trophy caliber defensemen, one of the best players in the league, and a hugely popular personality. Their memories will not fade as long as they see Vladdy in his wheelchair. That crash shook up the entire city, not just the Red Wings organization...

Old
01-02-2004, 07:27 AM
dats-13

yep, the revenue these jerseys bring in is given to the Dan Snyder Foundation

very classy move by the wings

and not to mention an incredible game that the NHL needs more of

Old
01-02-2004, 05:31 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
What you forgot to mention was that each of the jerseys will also be autographed by the player who wore it.

Classy? Yes. In this particular instance, as well as many others.
But this is also the team that hired private detectives to spy on Uwe Krupp's FAMILY and that treated Cujo like dirt the moment something better (so they thought) came along.
The Wings are a good organization, as are many other NHL teams. But they'll screw someone over to cover their own behind.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:36 PM
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voynich
I despise the Wings, but this move is as classy as you can get and my respect for the organization has increased more than I thought it ever would.
Agreed

I still hate the team, but a one-off thing like this is much better than an every-night thing

Old
01-02-2004, 05:41 PM
dats-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Classy? Yes. In this particular instance, as well as many others.
But this is also the team that hired private detectives to spy on Uwe Krupp's FAMILY and that treated Cujo like dirt the moment something better (so they thought) came along.
The Wings are a good organization, as are many other NHL teams. But they'll screw someone over to cover their own behind.
Hockey is a business and we do what we feel is necassary to win(talking about Cujo)

Old
01-06-2004, 07:09 PM
tom_servo

Maybe it's just me being cynical, but I'm just rolling my eyes at this.

Bunch a' multimillionaires auctioning off these 'valuable' jerseys to the fans for thousands of dollars, then in turn, giving that sum of money to the Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship as a gift from the Red Wings. I mean, what exactly is the gesture here?

Why don't they just write a friggin' check, out of pocket, without fanfare? Oh that's right... we wouldn't be reminded just how much of a classy organization the Red Wings are.

Anything they can do to help, right? Yeah, I'll bet.

This reminds me of George Costanza starting the Human Fund.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:32 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Why don't they just write a friggin' check, out of pocket, without fanfare? Oh that's right... we wouldn't be reminded just how much of a classy organization the Red Wings are.
Because it's a win/win/win situation the other way. The fans are happy, because they get a jersey. The charity gets more money than they would otherwise if it was pure donation. And yes, the players / team get to donate money without it being out of pocket (and I suspect many donated money personally *in addition*, without fanfare).

I'm astounded anyone can try and turn this into a negative. If a kid carries around a UNICEF can at Halloween collecting donations, is he a heartless "creep" and limelight seeker because he didn't pony up the money himself?

Old
01-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Maybe it's just me being cynical, but I'm just rolling my eyes at this.
I consider myself to be greatly cynical at times, and I can't even understand why you're upset.

Quote:
Bunch a' multimillionaires auctioning off these 'valuable' jerseys to the fans for thousands of dollars, then in turn, giving that sum of money to the Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship as a gift from the Red Wings. I mean, what exactly is the gesture here?
You just described it. Would you prefer that they do NOT wear the patch, that there was NO jersey to auction and thus NO extra money going to the DSMS? That would be better? How?

Quote:
That makes ZERO sense. How do you KNOW the Wings organization, or some of their members didn't do exactly JUST THAT?

Do you realize you just blamed people FOR NOT DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD NOT BE AWARE IF THEY *DID* DO IT? Christ. I'm at a loss here.

Quote:
Anything they can do to help, right? Yeah, I'll bet.
Sounds like you do not know much about this franchise. I find they are one of the classier organizations out there, and that's not based on this particular gesture, it's been that way for years. The NHL could use more passionate and classy owners like Illitch.

Closed Thread