HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Wings vs Thrashers any news??

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 07:00 AM
kira

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I consider myself to be greatly cynical at times, and I can't even understand why you're upset.

You just described it. Would you prefer that they do NOT wear the patch, that there was NO jersey to auction and thus NO extra money going to the DSMS? That would be better? How?

That makes ZERO sense. How do you KNOW the Wings organization, or some of their members didn't do exactly JUST THAT?

Do you realize you just blamed people FOR NOT DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD NOT BE AWARE IF THEY *DID* DO IT? Christ. I'm at a loss here.

Sounds like you do not know much about this franchise. I find they are one of the classier organizations out there, and that's not based on this particular gesture, it's been that way for years. The NHL could use more passionate and classy owners like Illitch.

Bravo, Vlad...well said.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:04 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Maybe it's just me being cynical, but I'm just rolling my eyes at this.

Bunch a' multimillionaires auctioning off these 'valuable' jerseys to the fans for thousands of dollars, then in turn, giving that sum of money to the Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship as a gift from the Red Wings. I mean, what exactly is the gesture here?

Why don't they just write a friggin' check, out of pocket, without fanfare? Oh that's right... we wouldn't be reminded just how much of a classy organization the Red Wings are.

Anything they can do to help, right? Yeah, I'll bet.

This reminds me of George Costanza starting the Human Fund.
wow, what a stupid post... these things happen all the time, a bunch of teams are probably doing some kind of a fundraiser for the memmorial for DS... get with it

Old
01-07-2004, 07:19 AM
PEli*

Quote:
Maybe it's just me being cynical, but I'm just rolling my eyes at this.

Bunch a' multimillionaires auctioning off these 'valuable' jerseys to the fans for thousands of dollars, then in turn, giving that sum of money to the Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship as a gift from the Red Wings. I mean, what exactly is the gesture here?

Why don't they just write a friggin' check, out of pocket, without fanfare? Oh that's right... we wouldn't be reminded just how much of a classy organization the Red Wings are.

Anything they can do to help, right? Yeah, I'll bet.

This reminds me of George Costanza starting the Human Fund.
How is this a bad thing? The fans show up, they get to see a great game and see their team show respect to a guy like Snyder. Then they get the chance to take a jersey home and help out a respected foundation. Wow, what a bunch of *******.

Do you think the Wings are going to give the money and be the only ones to get a thank you? Of course not. There have been numerous jersey auctions where the fans are the first people thanked by the charity or foundation. Everbody knows that this is a hand in hand thing. The Wings provide the publicity and the fans provide the dollars.

What's the gesture here? How about thousands of dollars towards charity? Is that not enough? Should the Red Wings dissolve their assets and give all of the money to charity? Maybe that would be a nice gesture.

I don't see why you're so bitter about this. I'm sure your blood boils when you see your friends give money to charity. How do you hold back your anger?!

Last edited by PEli*: 01-07-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old
01-07-2004, 08:02 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I consider myself to be greatly cynical at times, and I can't even understand why you're upset.

You just described it. Would you prefer that they do NOT wear the patch, that there was NO jersey to auction and thus NO extra money going to the DSMS? That would be better? How?
Yes, I'd prefer they not make an on-ice acknowledgment of the Snyder accident if no other team was supposed to. Individual players around the league should feel free, but Snyder was never even affiliated with the Red Wings.

No, that in itself isn't a big deal, but where's the show of heart for Roman Lyashenko?

Quote:
That makes ZERO sense. How do you KNOW the Wings organization, or some of their members didn't do exactly JUST THAT?

Do you realize you just blamed people FOR NOT DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD NOT BE AWARE IF THEY *DID* DO IT? Christ. I'm at a loss here.
Oh shut up, Vlad.

I don't know for sure that they didn't give individual gifts (though I'm sure every team did), but that's not even the point. My only criticism is that the publicity was worth at least as much as gesture to the Red Wings organization.

It's like being at a party where everyone was asked not to bring gifts, but one guy brings a repackaged Foreman grill anyway, knowing he'd be the man of the hour.

Quote:
Sounds like you do not know much about this franchise. I find they are one of the classier organizations out there, and that's not based on this particular gesture, it's been that way for years. The NHL could use more passionate and classy owners like Illitch.
So what? I'm sure they are. But I'm only talking about this particular publicity grab, not their past history of benevolence.

It's fine to exult over the fact that the Synder Fund is that much richer, but I'm going to criticize sycophancy whenever I see it.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:55 AM
cws
...in the drink

You're barking up the wrong tree with this one, tom.

The two GMs used to work with each other, and they got together and talked about all this. The decision for the Wings to wear the patch was very much mutual, as was the jersey auction. Other teams have paid their respects to Snyder in smaller ways this season. Atlanta didn't want to have this be a big thing the first time they visited an arena this year, the players and coaches don't want to be reminded of that pain any more than is necessary. They made an exception for Detroit, probably because of the relationship between the GMs.

It wasn't a publicity thing on the part of the Wings to look better. No matter which way you try to spin this, it's doubtful that you're gonna convince others of your point. It was the first time another team has worn that patch, the decision to do so was mutual, the jerseys brought in some good money. Why would any of this be up for scrutiny?

It was a great gesture, that's it.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:58 AM
tom_servo

No, it's not the first time it's happened, and it's not the first time I've looked at it with an eye of suspicion. I wasn't trying to spin anything, since I didn't have anything against the Red Wings prior to what looked to me like a plea for publicity.

If everything's absolutely kosher as you say, then fine, I'll accept it. But I'm not going to apologize for my stance on the issue.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:51 AM
balddog66

Quote:
No, it's not the first time it's happened, and it's not the first time I've looked at it with an eye of suspicion. I wasn't trying to spin anything, since I didn't have anything against the Red Wings prior to what looked to me like a plea for publicity.

If everything's absolutely kosher as you say, then fine, I'll accept it. But I'm not going to apologize for my stance on the issue.

For those of us that knew Dan, there is a reason why a person who only played 49 NHL games has received such an outpouring of support. It has nothing to do with the incident or the star it's about the person that is gone...I'll admit I don't know much about any other player that has passed away...Roman Lyshanko, Vlad etc..personally.
The support that has been shown for Snyder proves what a great person he was because everyone that got to know him would look up to him and want to be just a little like him...

Old
01-07-2004, 09:08 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:

Never expected you to apoligize for how you feel, you should never have to. That wasn't my point really.

Many of us said, in so many words, we though it was legit and a good gesture. When you responded, you tried to debunk their explanations and turn it into something that would prove your point. That is trying to spin things.

But it doesn't matter much. You saw it one way, I saw it another. It happens. That's the way it seems to be around here, more disagreeing than anything.

Closed Thread