HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winning Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 01:18 PM
PineJockey

vCash: 500
Winning Prospects

There has been a bit of talk on the boards lately regarding the Oiler's drafting strategy. Basically the debate can be summarized as 'Draft the Best Available Player' vs 'Draft for Specific Needs'. Usually the 'specific needs' have been discussed in terms of positions, size, etc. (e.g., a big centre). But one thing that has rarely been mentioned is the need for leadership and the fact that a bunch of the recent draft picks (and I'll include trade acquisitions here) are players who have come from winning programs or who have been former Captains of their teams (Lynch, Woywitka, Stoll, etc.). IMO this is an intangible that should not be underestimated. Lots of the current Oil leadership is derived from the fact that they have been in the league for a while (Smyth, Smith, Staios, Moreau). Leadership from experience is important, but perhaps just as important is the kind of leadership that is not related to experience but is either 'inherent' in a player's attitude, or comes from belonging to winning teams. I've mentioned before that the 'winning tradition' is clearly visible if you look around the league and see how many former Habs, or Oilers are now running various teams. Getting Staois (a former team Captain) was also huge, not so much because of his ability (although that has also been huge) but also because of his attitude/leadership. On this front I think Lowe et al. have been doing a great job.

Old
12-30-2003, 01:36 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
There has been a bit of talk on the boards lately regarding the Oiler's drafting strategy. Basically the debate can be summarized as 'Draft the Best Available Player' vs 'Draft for Specific Needs'. Usually the 'specific needs' have been discussed in terms of positions, size, etc. (e.g., a big centre). But one thing that has rarely been mentioned is the need for leadership and the fact that a bunch of the recent draft picks (and I'll include trade acquisitions here) are players who have come from winning programs or who have been former Captains of their teams (Lynch, Woywitka, Stoll, etc.). IMO this is an intangible that should not be underestimated. Lots of the current Oil leadership is derived from the fact that they have been in the league for a while (Smyth, Smith, Staios, Moreau). Leadership from experience is important, but perhaps just as important is the kind of leadership that is not related to experience but is either 'inherent' in a player's attitude, or comes from belonging to winning teams. I've mentioned before that the 'winning tradition' is clearly visible if you look around the league and see how many former Habs, or Oilers are now running various teams. Getting Staois (a former team Captain) was also huge, not so much because of his ability (although that has also been huge) but also because of his attitude/leadership. On this front I think Lowe et al. have been doing a great job.

I think that leadership factors in heavily on the Oilers drafting. Take a look at this year's draft.....Zack Stortini and J.F. Jacques are both their team's captains.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:14 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
I think that leadership factors in heavily on the Oilers drafting. Take a look at this year's draft.....Zack Stortini and J.F. Jacques are both their team's captains.
Not to mention Pouliot, he's the captain of Rouminski. Mind you he was the captain of a team that lost 34 straight, nothing to do with him though, his team at the time basically sucked.

There's alot of character type players drafted this past draft. Hopefully they can bring their leadership quality to the Oiler organization... Brodziak is also the big chief for the warriors as well .

GXL

Old
12-30-2003, 03:54 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

this team certainly needs some direction and hopefully down the road these guys will provide it. character guys help win championships.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:56 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Jacques was an assistant captain?

Old
12-30-2003, 05:13 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Keep your eyes peeled for Part II of the Prendergast interview which should hit your screens in the next couple of days. Scouting and drafting startegies are talked about quite a bit.

Then in about ten days from now there will be a major story (if it gets approved by the HF powers that be) about the differences between the Oiler scouting staff of today and of the '90's and that one should be of great interest I think.

GuyF

Old
12-30-2003, 06:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Keep your eyes peeled for Part II of the Prendergast interview which should hit your screens in the next couple of days. Scouting and drafting startegies are talked about quite a bit.

Then in about ten days from now there will be a major story (if it gets approved by the HF powers that be) about the differences between the Oiler scouting staff of today and of the '90's and that one should be of great interest I think.

GuyF
Guy, if it isn't approved, I will give you hosting space on my server (and make a page for it), so that everyone can go look at it, because I for one would love to read it, and I know for sure I'm not the only one.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Guy, if it isn't approved, I will give you hosting space on my server (and make a page for it), so that everyone can go look at it, because I for one would love to read it, and I know for sure I'm not the only one.
Amen to that, dawgbone. Guy deserves to go to the HFHOF.

Closed Thread