HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending - Will it get the job done?

Old
07-04-2007, 11:47 PM
27roenick97

vCash: 500
marty is a servicable goalie, but the problem here is we'll be facing awesome goaltending for 32 divisional games a year. realistically marty is in no way better than D/P, fleury, king henrik or that dude in new jersey--whats his face--and they're all going to get better, except brodeur who can't really be any better.

therein lies the problem and no goalie we could have gotten in the past year would've done the trick. as much as homer preaches defense, we don't have the goaltending, so we're going to have to be a balls to the wall offensive minded team, not geared towards team defense.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:59 AM
sansan

Why not? The Flyers just need to be stronger in other areas. It's not like the other teams don't have their own weaknesses.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:38 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
You forgot Cechmanek.
Why did we get rid of him anyway?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:15 AM
John Flyers Fan

Team goals against isn't all about goaltending

2003-04 - 6th the NHL and 2nd in the east in GA
2002-03 - T-1st in the NHL in GA
2001-02 - 7th in the NHL and 2nd in the east in GA

It's about team defense.

Yes, we are in a division that has an outstanding group of goaltenders.

As of today it could be argued that we have the best group of defenseman in the division.

As of today I think we clearly have the best group of wingers in the division.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

It's about team defense.

As of today it could be argued that we have the best group of defenseman in the division.

So basically that was a beat around the bush way of saying we have everything but goaltending.

I expect that to be the problem area this season.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:02 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
So basically that was a beat around the bush way of saying we have everything but goaltending.

I expect that to be the problem area this season.
No. It's a good way of saying that you don't need a great goalie to be very good defensively. Neither Chechmanek or Esche were elite goalies and we finished top 7 in goals against three years running.

Goaltending is the least of my concerns.

Old
07-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Jester

Quote:

It's about team defense.

only if youth is served... Upshall, Hartnell, Lupul, etc. all need to play to par for that to be under discussion.

i might still like the Rangers with Jagr, Straka, Shanny, Prucha, etc. for this coming year. we certainly have the potential to have an extremely deep top 9 forwards.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Opinion based but...

I think this is the best goaltending situation we've had in a very long time. Marty is solid and Nitty has something to play for when he does get in. If both are healthy I think the goaltending can translate into an extra 12 points in itself...I'll worry about the playoffs when we get there but I think one more puck-mover on the back end is a much more pressing issue.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
only if youth is served... Upshall, Hartnell, Lupul, etc. all need to play to par for that to be under discussion.

i might still like the Rangers with Jagr, Straka, Shanny, Prucha, etc. for this coming year. we certainly have the potential to have an extremely deep top 9 forwards.
We don't need them all to come through to be the best group.

Shanny disappeared last year in the 2nd half, especially in the 2nd half. A large number of Rangers fans would have been quite happy to see him go.

Gagne, Knuble, Upshall, Hartnell, Lupul, Umberger, Eager and Kapanen is an excellent and well balanced group. You have size, speed, toughness, offensive and defensive ability.

Old
07-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
We don't need them all to come through to be the best group.

Shanny disappeared last year in the 2nd half, especially in the 2nd half. A large number of Rangers fans would have been quite happy to see him go.

Gagne, Knuble, Upshall, Hartnell, Lupul, Umberger, Eager and Kapanen is an excellent and well balanced group. You have size, speed, toughness, offensive and defensive ability.
Shanny had 16 pts in 19 games after the break... including having his face ploughed over by Knuble. not sure he disappeared that much. He's also a force in the room...

all that being said, if he stays resonably healthy i'd pencil him in for 30 goals, which i'm not sure you can say for anyone on our club other than Gagne going into the season.

I like our wings, but they're very young, and very unproven after Gagne and Knuble.

Hartnell has a history of injuries (because he plays so hard) including the dreaded concussions. Upshall has been injury prone as well... neither is a proven NHL scorer.

then you have Lupul coming off a disastrous NHL campaign. Kapanen can no longer find the net with his shot. Eager i have high hopes for, and a question mark at RW on the 4th line... Umberger is also floating around somewhere.

now, they have a lot of potential... but if i'm going to battle THIS season, i'm a bit happier with the Rangers setup. 2-3 years from now, I like ours a lot.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote