HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Of Wingers and Lines

Old
07-04-2007, 12:29 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
He is...Mike is saying Downie as a passer would complement Potulny.
Yes, exactly. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Carter and Lupul strike me as oil and water... a shooter with a shoot-first center might get ugly.

I'd rather not have Lupul on the top line as well, I just think it makes the most sense. Part of the thought, as far as the mucking, is that the line won't be involved in all that much mucking. Sure, it's going to happen some during the course of play, but I would expect that line to maintain much more of a movement offense than anything we've seen from a Flyer first line in a while... A lot less work below the goalline and a lot more work from the hash in... thus Lupul might work perfectly well w/out having to worry about grinding it out (which is what Forsberg/Knuble used to do so well together).
I agree, that is why I said if the chemistry worked. Problem is, I think Lupul fits on that first line, or he doesnt at all. Upshall is not a playmaker either. As for Carter, he seems to be developing his playmaking a little, put up a better assist total last year. Hartnell is not a passer either. The way I see the 2nd line working, is dump it in, cycle the puck, and get garbage goals, or Carter gets open for his wicked wrister. If Lupul is on that line, Carter and Hartnell do some cycling, the puck will eventually come to him. It isnt ideal, but if he doesnt work with the top line, then I dont know what the hell to do. Move him to the third and give him top PP time I guess.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I agree, that is why I said if the chemistry worked. Problem is, I think Lupul fits on that first line, or he doesnt at all. Upshall is not a playmaker either. As for Carter, he seems to be developing his playmaking a little, put up a better assist total last year. Hartnell is not a passer either. The way I see the 2nd line working, is dump it in, cycle the puck, and get garbage goals, or Carter gets open for his wicked wrister. If Lupul is on that line, Carter and Hartnell do some cycling, the puck will eventually come to him. It isnt ideal, but if he doesnt work with the top line, then I dont know what the hell to do. Move him to the third and give him top PP time I guess.
Upshall and Carter work because Upshall can play to Carter's tempo and is a hustle guy, more than a 'sniper'. Lupul isn't going to be keeping up with Carter on his 'bat out of hell' rushes down the wing at all.

this lineup is an interesting jigsaw, that's for sure.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Yes, exactly. Thanks!

oh touche sorry

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:35 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Upshall and Carter work because Upshall can play to Carter's tempo and is a hustle guy, more than a 'sniper'. Lupul isn't going to be keeping up with Carter on his 'bat out of hell' rushes down the wing at all.

this lineup is an interesting jigsaw, that's for sure.
Yes, it definitely was much more flexible before Lupul got here. All the other wingers can really be moved around.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Mojopin

Knuble on the first line is perfect balance imo. Sniper, playmaker, power-forward. Need some muscle on that unit.

Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:53 PM
jfc64

Quote:
okay, what you should say is that we need "playmakers." because there's plenty of skill potential on this roster as it is today... we're sorely lacking a few role players, in fact.

Ruzicka isn't going to make it with this club... the next young kid who is going to have a chance as far as being a 'playmaker' is Giroux, IMO.

Yes, Ruzicka is a long shot...but he can do some things other players can't...I only hope we don't put Eager on the third line...and yes, Briere and Lupul is a pretty good upgrade in the playmaking, skill or sense department. Next, a fourth line center?

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Lupul*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Well someone needs to do it. Here is the eventual line-up after injuries and players not working out.

Upshall - Briere - Knuble
Poltuny - Carter - Ruzika
Kappanen - Richards - Eager
Cote - Umberger - Downie

Timonen - Jones
Picard - Coburn
Parent - Hatcher
Hahahahahahahaha

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Well someone needs to do it. Here is the eventual line-up after injuries and players not working out.

Upshall - Briere - Knuble
Poltuny - Carter - Ruzika
Kappanen - Richards - Eager
Cote - Umberger - Downie

Timonen - Jones
Picard - Coburn
Parent - Hatcher
We got a winner right here, fellas.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Lupul*

I hope everyone realizes ToTheNet was joking.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10 View Post
I hope everyone realizes ToTheNet was joking.
ah, if we get 300 man games lost again... it's not really a joke.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:18 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
At least someone understood what I was getting at. Thank you Nicto10. I no way hope that is what happens, but i figured someone had to play devil's advocate.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote