Notices

OT: Kings adding some talent, opinions?

Old
07-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Dirk316

vCash: 500
OT: Kings adding some talent, opinions?

Hanzus,Nagy,Stuart

Not bad should be contender this year but what i like is they are getting wimpier every year
Let them keep adding softer,injury prone players. They have decent amount of young skill though.

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:10 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

My opinion...we won the Cup...oh wait, that's a fact.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
My opinion...we won the Cup...oh wait, that's a fact.

Their prospects with the exception of Dustin Brown are all soft wimpy player as well they are trying to become a generic Detroit ripoff

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:15 PM
luckoftheduck

I made a bet with someone that the kings would finish 7th or higher in the WC next year. Just my opinion. They will face the Ducks in the playoffs and the Ducks will convincingly sweep them.

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
190Octane

Handzus - not bad but 4 years and 4 million per was too much for a guy with so many questions

Calder - why? number one he sucks, number two he sucks and number 3 2.75 million per season for a 3rd liner?

Nagy - 3.75 million is ok for him I guess, if Nagy is playing where does that leave O'Sullivan?

Preissing - good pickup, did you see his eyes turn into silver dollars against the Ducks forecheck in the finals?

Stuart - solid number 3 defenseman

Overall I'm not too scared still.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Snap Wilson

I think they're all smart, modest acquisitions. No crazy long deals, no serious cap hits. They're still going nowhere with those goaltenders, though.

For a team that's not an immediate contender, these are smart moves. Pick up a few players, let your youngsters develop and hope you get lucky. That's more or less what Carolina did prior to the 2005-06 season and look what happened. If it doesn't work, they're still in decent shape.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Snap Wilson

Put it this way. What they did was a lot smarter than what they wanted to do, which was signing Drury to a big contract.

Old
07-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Lyons71

Well, lets see if the kings can shake the 'everyone gets injured' streak they have been on for a while. Good pick ups though.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:36 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp View Post
They're still going nowhere with those goaltenders, though.
Exactly. I have a feeling they'll acquire another goalie sometime around the trade deadline as they fight for a playoff spot. The Kings have to hope and pray that Cloutier returns to his Vancouver form, ie not constantly letting in softies that almost any other goalie in the league can stop.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Kopistar

As a Kings fan, it's nice to see Duck fans actually talking about hte Hockey aspects of the Kings as opposed to the Duck fans who just talk trash for no reason.

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTheBrick View Post
As a Kings fan, it's nice to see Duck fans actually talking about hte Hockey aspects of the Kings as opposed to the Duck fans who just talk trash for no reason.
Just making up for over a decade of the inverse, dude.

I'm one Ducks fan who WANTS the Quee-- er, Los Angeles to be good while the Ducks are good. I want to see these teams to meet in the playoffs and have a real rivalry. Ducks-Sharks games were tremendous this year, a real playoff atmosphere.

Old
07-04-2007, 01:15 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I like these moves by Lombardi, especially Stuart and Preissing. The Kings D was terrible last year and these two along with Jack Johnson should make it way better. I feel though he still hasn't addressed the biggest need yet: a two-way center that can kill penalties. The Kings PK was the worst in the league. I think Preissing and Stuart will help in that regard but I don't see Calder, Nagy or Handzuz really improving these amongst the forwards. They should make the PP better though so maybe his theory is to just out score everyone. Might work. I think the Kings have a real shot at the playoffs, even with the goaltending that they have. But they have to stay healthy and play as a unit. They do that and they should be fine.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:25 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
I think that even sans goalie improvement, they should be contending for a playoff spot in a vacuum. Like say 8th or 9th. But in the Pacific Division, I'm not sure how they'll fare. Although Dallas will probably drop off a little this year (finally). But I still say like 11th place or so.

But I think the signings they made are pretty good. You can't have all kids, that just leads to losing and a culture of losing. The guys they signed are solid, have some experience, decent value, and for good length contracts.

But they are kind of soft, and I'm not sure there's good leadership amongst the forwards.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Oh the irony, oh the irony!!!

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Pepper

All moves have been pretty good, they do have few holes though (a major black hole in goal for example) and they are pretty soft.

Definetly better team than last season which isn't much though. If they stay healthy and use Labarbera, they might contend for a play-off spot.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:08 PM
MOENing

looking better everyday they lost tom though

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral_CB View Post
Handzus - not bad but 4 years and 4 million per was too much for a guy with so many questions

Calder - why? number one he sucks, number two he sucks and number 3 2.75 million per season for a 3rd liner?

Nagy - 3.75 million is ok for him I guess, if Nagy is playing where does that leave O'Sullivan?

Preissing - good pickup, did you see his eyes turn into silver dollars against the Ducks forecheck in the finals?

Stuart - solid number 3 defenseman

Overall I'm not too scared still.
I wouldn't be scared. The net is still empty.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Beach Ball isn't going to be with our team. We need to get rid of his cap hit to fit our guys in.

If he is with our team, I strongly doubt that he will play more than 10 games. We'll call up Ersberg and let him back up Jason.

Our goaltending is probably the biggest question that any team with playoff level talent in the league has. As far as our signings go, I don't care for Nagy. That's a player we could do without.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:38 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

The Kings have definetily improved their squad, I could see them squeezing into the playoffs next year if they find an average goalie. I can see them winning a couple of games with the system they are building, but if they face a physical team like the Ducks they might be running into trouble.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:15 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Their best signings were the 1 year deals for Nagy and Stuart.

4 million is a lot for a 2nd line center, they may regret the Handzus signing...especially because he seems to be a little injury prone.

2.75 million is a lot of cash for a decent d-man like Preissing.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Their best signings were the 1 year deals for Nagy and Stuart.

4 million is a lot for a 2nd line center, they may regret the Handzus signing...especially because he seems to be a little injury prone.

2.75 million is a lot of cash for a decent d-man like Preissing.
Preissing looks like an absolute steal compared to Cory Sarich.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
This is pretty funny coming from you.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:25 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Their prospects with the exception of Dustin Brown are all soft wimpy player as well they are trying to become a generic Detroit ripoff
hmmm, it's kinda funny tho...that "wimpy" detroit team, outplayed ur big & tough anaheim team and if it wasn't for giguere would have won that series. oh WAIT, and the penalty called on datsyuk with 1 minute left in game 5 after the ducks were being pounded the hole game, almost forgot. saved by the bell?

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
When was the last time Brad Stuart played a whole season? Has he ever?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I like these moves by Lombardi, especially Stuart and Preissing. The Kings D was terrible last year and these two along with Jack Johnson should make it way better. I feel though he still hasn't addressed the biggest need yet: a two-way center that can kill penalties. The Kings PK was the worst in the league. I think Preissing and Stuart will help in that regard but I don't see Calder, Nagy or Handzuz really improving these amongst the forwards. They should make the PP better though so maybe his theory is to just out score everyone. Might work. I think the Kings have a real shot at the playoffs, even with the goaltending that they have. But they have to stay healthy and play as a unit. They do that and they should be fine.
Handzus is the 2nd line 2 way center that is expected to kill penalties.

And the PK was the worst in the league bc of beachball Dan

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote